[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Embiid to Visit Marquette  (Read 18803 times)

Bocephys

• All American
Re: Embiid to Visit Marquette
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 05:19:04 PM »
Can anyone explain what Otule's actual eligibility situation is right now.  I'm confused with his redshirts and injuries and everything I just want to clarify what he has done and what he still can do.

He can play this season (his fifth) and next season (his sixth).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
Can anyone explain what Otule's actual eligibility situation is right now.  I'm confused with his redshirts and injuries and everything I just want to clarify what he has done and what he still can do.

Otule is eligible for a 6th year, but it has not yet been decided by him whether he wants a 6th year of college (at least as a basketball player), or by Marquette whether they want him back for a 6th year of college (at least as a scholarship athlete).

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
Hilarious. If Pitino was doing this, this board would be tearing him apart.
If? 

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »
Alright thanks Pakuni and Bocephys

Bieberhole69

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »
Who's reporting this?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »
What's the significance, if any, of Embiid visiting the same day Johnson is set to announce?

Bingo
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 06:05:52 PM »
If anything it makes more feel like johnson isn't coming here and buzz knows that

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »

Otule is a fifth year senior that will be graduating in December, then beginning grad school at Marquette in January. He reportedly has already been granted his sixth year waiver because of injuries and how far he's come in coursework.

Senior this year and eligible to continue playing as a senior next year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
As said, Otule may or may not want to play his 6th year.  MU will have given him 5 years and a degree.  I don't think MU owes him a 6th year so he can complete grad school.  If he wants to come back and MU wants him back, great.  You don't hold a scholarship for someone who has graduated and MAY want to come back DEPENDING upon a number of things.

If he wants to come back, and we are full, he can always pay his way for a year... and he would probably only have to take 2 courses each semester, not real expensive.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 07:05:09 PM »
If he wants to come back, and we are full, he can always pay his way for a year... and he would probably only have to take 2 courses each semester, not real expensive.

I've thought about this as well. Does anyone know the cost for six credits of graduate classes? What about lodging?

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
As said, Otule may or may not want to play his 6th year.  MU will have given him 5 years and a degree.  I don't think MU owes him a 6th year so he can complete grad school.  If he wants to come back and MU wants him back, great.  You don't hold a scholarship for someone who has graduated and MAY want to come back DEPENDING upon a number of things.

Seriously? Drink much MU Kool Aid? You don't think MU owes him a 6th year? He's done nothing but work hard, improve and suffer through 2 painful season ending injuries. It's comical how ridiculous most people on this board are when it comes to cutting scholarships and sending kids packing. A few months ago everyone was excited at the fact O'Tule may be granted a sixth year, now there is a top prospect considering the school and you can't wait til he leaves. You're a bunch of frauds. Let's be honest, if both kids committ Dawson won't be here and either otule or someone else will be run off, and so on and so forth. That's fine if this is the way High major CBB is, but let's not act like we're much different then other schools doing similar things.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »
This is incredible, incredible, incredible news.  Weather his visit to Florida this weekend, continue to hope that Self/KU don't make a push, and knock it outta the park with his visit in early November.

Holy crap this would be huge.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 07:35:04 PM »
Any chance Luc Richard becomes this kid's legal guardian and pays his way?
Relax. Respect the Process.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
If anything it makes more feel like johnson isn't coming here and buzz knows that
Embiid fills a much bigger need (pun intended) so if works out that way I am absolutely fine with that.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 07:51:29 PM »
Seriously? Drink much MU Kool Aid? You don't think MU owes him a 6th year? He's done nothing but work hard, improve and suffer through 2 painful season ending injuries. It's comical how ridiculous most people on this board are when it comes to cutting scholarships and sending kids packing. A few months ago everyone was excited at the fact O'Tule may be granted a sixth year, now there is a top prospect considering the school and you can't wait til he leaves. You're a bunch of frauds. Let's be honest, if both kids committ Dawson won't be here and either otule or someone else will be run off, and so on and so forth. That's fine if this is the way High major CBB is, but let's not act like we're much different then other schools doing similar things.

A lot of "ifs" and I'm not sure Marquette gets one of these recruits, let alone both.

One thing I will say is that I think John Dawson was the steal of this class and will end to be a very good player at Marquette.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 07:56:23 PM »
Why do we care about a stud recruit if Buzz already has a arrangement to leave after this season? 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 07:56:39 PM »
MU can legally oversign one, not two.  JJJ said he will verbal now but not sign till the Spring.  That solves the issue for now.  VB, Mayo or Otule can decide to turn pro.  Chris can decide not to play and become a graduate assistant to continue his free tuition.  A current recruit can sign a Grant in Aid.  All sorts of wiggle room, but I am sure Buzz has a heads up for it all.  Huge chess master play for the Buzzman.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »
MU can legally oversign one, not two.  JJJ said he will verbal now but not sign till the Spring.  That solves the issue for now.  VB, Mayo or Otule can decide to turn pro.  Chris can decide not to play and become a graduate assistant to continue his free tuition.  A current recruit can sign a Grant in Aid.  All sorts of wiggle room, but I am sure Buzz has a heads up for it all.  Huge chess master play for the Buzzman.

These are good problems to have.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »

Wrong. I would agree with you if he didn't have his degree and we were talking a 5th year. Expecting a school to hold a position for a 6th year that you MAY decide to play as a grad school student goes way behind what any player should expect. My guess is that we will all hope he comes back and Buzz hopes he comes back. To consider it MU's duty  is just wrong in so many ways.  I guess I still think it is about the degree first and foremost.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
Hilarious. If Pitino was doing this, this board would be tearing him apart.

Actually, the reality is that I started a thread on that topic about three weeks ago that resulted in a collective yawn from the board.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=33726.0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:21:08 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
I'm givin' Murray an "atta boy" award.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 12:20:31 AM »
Does Marquette owe its players 4 years? Absolutely. 5 years? Maybe. 6 years? At this point I'm sure his parents would kick him out of the house and push him towards better things.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:24 AM »
2 courses in the Grad school is probably around 6,000 per semester.  MU (as we all know) is very pricey.  So this aint just a drop in the bucket.

I'm currently in the sports leadership masters program which is what i'm sure he would be enrolled in and it's about 2,900 per 3 credit class.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »

I'm currently in the sports leadership masters program.

Is that taught by LW?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
2 courses in the Grad school is probably around 6,000 per semester.  MU (as we all know) is very pricey.  So this aint just a drop in the bucket.

I'm currently in the sports leadership masters program which is what i'm sure he would be enrolled in and it's about 2,900 per 3 credit class.

Thanks. Not at all cheap, but not astronomical if he goes the student loan route. One year on loans, then finish the program gratis as a grad assistant, or play overseas to pay it off. $12-15K would be a lot cheaper than most of us walked out of Marquette with.