[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU's Big East Schedule Released  (Read 24156 times)

marqfan22

• Team Captain
MU's Big East Schedule Released
« on: July 13, 2007, 09:13:42 AM »
Home & Away
Louisville
Notre Dame
Seton Hall

ps- You heard here on MUSCOOP.com first.

http://www.dailymail.com/story/Sports/WVU+Sports/2007071328/Big-East-basketball-Bearcats-to-visit-WVU-Huggins/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 09:20:27 AM by marqfan22 »

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: MU will play the following teams twice next year
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »
No DePaul home and home? Where will we play them next year if we only play them once? I thought that we would always play ND, DPU, and I thought Louisville home-and-away every year as a part of the Big East regional deal. Am I wrong on that or did they change it?
We Are Marquette

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:30:36 AM »
No DePaul home and home? Where will we play them next year if we only play them once? I thought that we would always play ND, DPU, and I thought Louisville home-and-away every year as a part of the Big East regional deal. Am I wrong on that or did they change it?

You are wrong. They try and keep some traditional rivals but also don't want it to get stale. I just the DuhPaul game is either home or on a weekend in Chicago. I am sick of driving down on weeknights.
But I like to throw handfuls...

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:31:41 AM »
We only played ND once last year.

It's a travesty that we don't play DePaul twice every year.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »
The 2007 schedule has been updated on the wiki.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/2007

That page will be edited a ton over the next 90 days, as little bits and pieces of our schedule come out.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 09:41:04 AM »
The Big East will be announcing the remaining home and away games possibly today.  no dates/times will be given yet.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 10:18:01 AM »
I would rather play ND twice over DePaul.  Louisville is argueably our biggest rival over the last 10+ years. I love that our third game is in the NY/NJ area for recruiting reasons.

I'm very happy with the repeat opponents.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 10:32:30 AM »
We've played hugely competitive and entertaining games with Louisville -- there's no denying that -- but DePaul is and always will be our biggest conference rival.

ND is a close second, although their fans probably don't consider us a true rival.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 10:39:39 AM »
We've played hugely competitive and entertaining games with Louisville -- there's no denying that -- but DePaul is and always will be our biggest conference rival.

ND is a close second, although their fans probably don't consider us a true rival.

I respectfully disagree.  I'd put both Notre Dame and Louisville ahead of DePaul as MU's "biggest conference rivals." 

I am very happy with these mirror games.  Looks like South Bend road trip, year three in a row. 
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 10:53:43 AM »
It's an age thing.  If you became a fan in the 90s, DePaul is nothing more than a scrub team we've mostly pummeled over last 25-30 games.  If you're a pre-90s fan, DePaul is a big deal.

"Biggest conference rival"?  Personally, there are about 5 teams ahead of DePaul on my "want to play" / rival list.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 10:57:49 AM »

I think this may have been true in the 80's.  But not anymore.

If you walked up to 100 random MU fans and offered them free front row seats to either the DePaul or the ND game, 99 of them would take the ND game.

I'd be willing to bet that you'd have 80 to 90%+ majorities for the same offers of choice between DePaul and Louisville, Pittsburgh or Cinnnanti as well.

And I'd also bet that more fans today would take a ticket to Syracuse, UConn, and Villanova over DePaul.

Some rival.  

But, if you gave them the choice between, say Pitt or Georgetown and ND, I'd bet more would take ND--even though Pitt and Georgetwon have been the better teams recently.

ND is by far a bigger rival right now.

DePaul is looking more like a former rival occupying a seat right next to Loyola (79 all time meetings) and Detroit (87 all time meetings).

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 10:59:35 AM »
It's an age thing.  If you became a fan in the 90s, DePaul is nothing more than a scrub team we've mostly pummeled over last 25-30 games.  If you're a pre-90s fan, DePaul is a big deal.

"Biggest conference rival"?  Personally, there are about 5 teams ahead of DePaul on my "want to play" / rival list.

Since MU beats the snot out of DPU regularly (26 of the last 32 meetings), I conveniently call them MU's biggest rival  ;D

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 11:05:13 AM »
All I am saying is that historically, DePaul is a bigger rival. It's not even debatable. There's too much history to deny it.

The Cardinals are down this year. Does this mean that the Brewers are the Cubs biggest rival? No chance. Same thing with Red Sox/Yankees. Just because one team is down for a period of years -- as MU was in the late 80s, early 90's -- does not make the rivalry disappear.

Saying that a certain percentage of fans would rather see a certain team next year is immaterial.

In the 80's, DePaul fans would rather see UCLA than Marquette. Were DePaul and UCLA rivals?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 11:19:33 AM »
So, you're saying once you have a rival, that's it forever?   I reject that, for the same reason Loyola and U of Detroit aren't our rivals anymore.

I'd propose several factors a rivalry dies off:
1. Lack of play vs. rival over large period
2. Lack of competitiveness over a large period
3. "X-Factor" .. = hatred just plain dies off.

DePaul would need to become a hot-ticket game again before it could be considered MU's current-era rival.  Currently, there are at least 5-6 other teams people would rather see.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »
I'm a pre-80's fan, and understand the DePaul rivalry.  Numbers favor the Notre Dame rivalry.  MU has played Notre Dame 108 times, DePaul 104 times.  Maybe it's just me, but I've always enjoyed a win over ND more than a win over DePaul, in any decade.
Ludum habemus.

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 11:28:56 AM »
PRN, Depaul is not a rival for the reasons others have already listed.  I could not care less about Depaul, their crappy arena, their 17 fans, or their team.  26-6 or something over the last 32 meetings?  Are you kidding me?  Once they start winning more than 18% of the time, then maybe they can get bumped ahead of some other rivals.  The 80s have been over for awhile now and so has MU's rivalry with Depaul.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 11:30:14 AM »
I think both DePaul and ND should be home and homes every year for MU.  They are our most natural rivals in the Big East.  I think that if they're going to go to 18 games in the Big East the best thing to do would be to make four divisions of four teams and you play your division rivals twice and every one else once.  A division with MU, Cincy, DePaul and ND would really make for good rivalry games each year.  How about

Connecticut
Providence
Saint Johns
Syracuse

Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Seton Hall
Villanova

Georgetown
Louisville
South Florida
West Virginia

Cincinnati
DePaul
Marquette
Notre Dame

I guess that third division is kind of a squirrelly mess of leftovers, but the other ones work.  
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 11:34:20 AM »
hmm... I'm pretty satisfied with those.

Obviously it would be better to get ND, DPU, PITT, UL every year twice... but that's not really possible.

I like the Seton Hall match-up... always nice to play another catholic school... keeps the catholic basketball rivalry alive.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 11:34:45 AM »
So, you're saying once you have a rival, that's it forever?   I reject that, for the same reason Loyola and U of Detroit aren't our rivals anymore.

I'd propose several factors a rivalry dies off:
1. Lack of play vs. rival over large period
2. Lack of competitiveness over a large period
3. "X-Factor" .. = hatred just plain dies off.

DePaul would need to become a hot-ticket game again before it could be considered MU's current-era rival.  Currently, there are at least 5-6 other teams people would rather see.

Loyola and Detroit are no longer rivals because we haven't play them consistently for a number of years.

Incidentally, if memory serves, DePaul has beaten MU 2 of the last 3. They also seem to be outrecruiting us.

I fully understand that people would rather see other teams, but the way Wainwright seems to be drawing kids to DePaul, that may not be the case much longer.

Incidentally, ND holds a 75-32 career "edge" over Marquette. Do you consider that "competitive" over a large period?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 11:39:22 AM »
One point of clarification -- I really like our home conference schedule this year. I think it's much better than last year.

I just wish we played DePaul twice!

snakesinthesnoilet

• Walk-On
MU's Big East Schedule Released
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 11:42:24 AM »
FRIDAY, July 13, 2007, 10:46 a.m.
By Todd Rosiak

MU's Big East schedule announced
An expanded 18-game schedule, repeat games against rivals Louisville and Notre Dame and home games against Georgetown and Pittsburgh highlight Marquette University's 2007-'08 Big East schedule, which was released on Friday.

For the first time since joining the conference in 2005, MU will face all 15 opposing teams at least once and continue to play three repeat opponents. Previously teams played a 16-game league schedule, meaning each team in the league failed to meet two others in a given season.

Game dates and times will be announced later this summer.

That the Golden Eagles will face Louisville and Notre Dame twice apiece is no surprise. MU and Louisville played another pair of entertaining games last season, and have developed an intense rivalry during coach Tom Crean's tenure at MU. The Cardinals return nearly all their key players, and are expected to contend with Georgetown and MU for the Big East regular-season championship.

Notre Dame is also MU's longest-running rival, with the two teams having begun playing in the 1919-'20 season.

Seton Hall is MU's third repeat opponent, a bit of welcome news for the Golden Eagles since the Pirates won't be picked to finish in the upper half of the league standings.

Georgetown, featuring a likely Big East pre-season player of the year in 7-foot-3 senior center Roy Hibbert, and Pittsburgh, a repeat opponent of the Golden Eagles in their first two years in the Big East, travel to the Bradley Center to face MU this season.

The Golden Eagles' three remaining home opponents are Providence, Rutgers and South Florida.

In all, six of MU's nine home Big East opponents qualified for post-season play last season, with four finishing in the Associated Press' top 25.

The Golden Eagles, meanwhile, are 13-3 in league play at the Bradley Center, the second-best such mark in the Big East over the past two seasons.

MU's road schedule will once again be daunting. Aside from its trips to Louisville and Notre Dame, MU also travels to face Connecticut, Syracuse, Villanova and West Virginia.

The Golden Eagles' trip to face the Orange at the Carrier Dome will be their first since Feb. 3, 1985. MU won at Connecticut last season, but lost at both Villanova and West Virginia in 2005-'06.

MU's final two road opponents are Cincinnati and St. John's.

MU's ticket office has extended its hours to 9 p.m. tonight, and will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday. Fans can call (414) 288-GOMU, or order tickets in person at the Al McGuire Center at 770 N. 12th St.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 12:26:40 PM »
PRN--do you live in Chicago?

I would be upset if I lived there and MU wasn't coming...other than that, I would rather see MU play UL, ND, and Pitt in mirror games before DePaul.  The RedSox/Yankees rivalry is great because both teams are always good when they have played each other. When have MU and DePaul both been good at the same time? 70's?  I appreciate the long history, but it's time to move over for better games that the whole country will care about.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 12:57:11 PM »
PRN--do you live in Chicago?

I would be upset if I lived there and MU wasn't coming...other than that, I would rather see MU play UL, ND, and Pitt in mirror games before DePaul.  The RedSox/Yankees rivalry is great because both teams are always good when they have played each other. When have MU and DePaul both been good at the same time? 70's?  I appreciate the long history, but it's time to move over for better games that the whole country will care about.

Yes, I live in Chicago. You may be right that it clouds my opinion of things.

Concerning the Red Sox v. Yankees, I vehemently disagree. Until 2004, the Red Sox were the Yankees whipping boys for 80 years! The media has taken simple baseball games -- like the 1978 regular season playoff -- and made them into Shakepearean tragedies. It's a joke!

I've not heard any Doris Kearns Goodwin-like laments about the Giants losing to the Cubs in the 1998 one game playoff. 

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 01:15:47 PM »
As far as ND not condsidering MU a rival, that is hogwash.  Living in Indiana I can tell you that the last two games at ND have been the two hardest tickets to get during that time.  All the ND fans remenber the ND "glory" years of Digger and their arch nemisis being Al and MU.  Now they see them selves back to a degree and look who's back too....MU.   they see it as a huge rivalry and it will again be the first game to sell out on their schedule.   I'll be there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:17:47 PM by Harrison »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: MU's Big East Schedule Released
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 01:18:29 PM »
Cool.  That means I get a return trip to Storrs this winter and possible visits to Madison Square Garden and wherever Seton will be playing.