[Today at 09:23:57 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU's Big East Schedule Released  (Read 24159 times)

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
Re: MU's Big East Schedule Released
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2007, 09:16:52 PM »

The UW rivalry is big because it's kind of like the civil war... it can divide places of business, high schools, even families. A lot of people claim some sort of "dual allegiance"... but for that one Saturday every year you have to pick one or the other and it's a war.

I disagree with a you a little re: PITT. I mean, Cincy was a good rivalry because they were obviously a great team that MU always seemed to be able to knock off. In reality that rivalry isn't that old and I think PITT is on it's way to becoming a Cincy like rival. There may not be a ton of history between MU and PITT... but ask any MU student and they will tell you that they HATE PITT.

I pretty much agree with you on these points. For one, as a current MU student, I completely hate pitt big time... and it was so so sweet beating them twice last year (especially with Kinsella making those threes  ;)) Give it time, and we could have a huge rivalry with them.

However, our top rival right now is either UW or UL. For me, the UW game is a personal one - I'm from Madison, so it is all about bragging rights over pretty much every one I know from home. Like you said - it's a civil war, and you gotta pick a side for that one day. I think Alondo Tucker is a classy guy, but man, on December 9th, I hated his guts. (Well, I'm pretty sure I lost all creditability with that last line  :D) But UL is also up there - especially after the Jerry Smith last second miracle last season. I guess really can't decide which I hate more  :D

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2007, 08:30:35 AM »
From the feeling I got last year as a current student, from all my friends, Notre Dame was the #1 rivalry.  Even the ND students know it.  If you know anyone from ND, students don't go to the games, but when MU comes to town, they sell out.  A strong Catholic basketball rivarly could be on the rise if we start playing them twice a year.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: MU will play the following teams twice next year
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »
All I am saying is that historically, DePaul is a bigger rival. It's not even debatable. There's too much history to deny it.

The Cardinals are down this year. Does this mean that the Brewers are the Cubs biggest rival? No chance. Same thing with Red Sox/Yankees. Just because one team is down for a period of years -- as MU was in the late 80s, early 90's -- does not make the rivalry disappear.

Saying that a certain percentage of fans would rather see a certain team next year is immaterial.

In the 80's, DePaul fans would rather see UCLA than Marquette. Were DePaul and UCLA rivals?

Another part of the equation is to ask DePaul fans who they think their biggest rival is. Most of them will say Marquette. The DePaul kids get jacked up for the MU game, regularly making t-shirts and coming out for the game. I went to MU in the mid 90's and I still think that because of the history and proximity that DePaul is our biggest rival. I don't discount that the rival has lessened in the past few years, but all things considered it is still our biggest rival.
We Are Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2007, 09:51:09 AM »
Like I said... I think rivalries often are personal.

I mean, we all know that PITT, UC, ND, UofL, UW, DePaul, and possibly UWM are all going to be pretty good rivalry games.

I guess the specific order of hatred is really determined by the individual.

I hate UofL because of the great battles we've had with them (last second shots, flagrant fouls, jerseys thrown off, etc.)

I hate PITT because I just hate their style of play, I hate they whiney ass coach, I don't like their guards that look like Jermaine Dupri, I don't like their centers who as super slow and have no muscle

I hate UC because of all of the thugs they have had in the program... and because they were always the top in the conference when I was in school. I still think the best MU game I've ever been to was the home win against Cincy to clinch the conf. title. Obviously the Final 4 was a special event... but the 2002 conf. title was probably the game that re-launched the program.

I hate DePaul because obviously we want to maintain all of the bragging rights and because I hate their stupid "3... Point... Play" thing that they say at the All-State arena (AKA Medieval Times)

I hate UW because I hate that everybody in the state is a default UW fan and never wants to give MU any credit. MU plays in Milwaukee... yet everywhere I go I see Badger crap and people talking about the Badgers. I know that they are the big state school... and that comes with the territory... but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

I hate ND because they are pretty elitist. I have to admit that I rooted for ND football growing up (catholic school kid), and I still casually watch ND football (they are on all of the time). BUT, I also know that a lot of the students and alumni are so wrapped up in their own Notre Dameness that they don't recognize or even know anything about MU. Plus, let's be honest: ND is the top Catholic school in the mid-west (maybe the country)... So there are a lot of people who went to MU that probably would have liked to have attended ND, but couldn't make the grades to get in. So, I think there is a little bit of jealously buried in this rivalry as well. I wouldn't call this a hard and fast rule... but I'm just saying there is some underlying stuff for a lot of MU people.

And UWM... Well... I don't like how a lot of people think UWM is the next big thing or something. They have had a nice run over the past 5 years. I also think they can continue to grow and compete in their conference. However, I don't think that UWM fans should be shoving their success in MU's face. I also think that all of the back and forth in the media is pretty much like "poking the bear" or whatever other cliche you want to use. Crean is going to be highly motivated to make a statement in this game.

MU vs UWM this year... all debates will be settled. MU is going to roll... and I mean roll big. UWM plays a pretty uptempo style, and that will not work well against MU's athletes. McNeal is going to have 27 steals that game. Also, I think Ooz might be able to have 13 long-armed reverse lay-ups.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2007, 10:02:54 AM »
Another part of the equation is to ask DePaul fans who they think their biggest rival is.

.. I think the answer to that one would be "We have a basketball team?"

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »
The ND rivalry is really big.  I know 2 ppl going there for grad school and they are both being paid to go there.  They like to bring that up whenever someone comments on how they went to MU for their undergrad.  :)

Villacats

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2007, 08:55:22 AM »
I think both DePaul and ND should be home and homes every year for MU.  They are our most natural rivals in the Big East.  I think that if they're going to go to 18 games in the Big East the best thing to do would be to make four divisions of four teams and you play your division rivals twice and every one else once.  A division with MU, Cincy, DePaul and ND would really make for good rivalry games each year.  How about

Connecticut
Providence
Saint Johns
Syracuse

Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Seton Hall
Villanova

Georgetown
Louisville
South Florida
West Virginia

Cincinnati
DePaul
Marquette
Notre Dame

I guess that third division is kind of a squirrelly mess of leftovers, but the other ones work. 

Nova fan here. Interesting idea, but it appears you just don't understand the Big East at all. No way can you put Villanova, Georgetown and Syracuse in three different divisions. For most Nova fans, Georgetown is their #1 rival. For Georgetown, it's Syracuse and for Syracuse, it's UConn.

I think (just based on rivalries and not taking RPI considerations into account) most fans throughout the conference could live with this arrangement:

Villanova, Georgetown, Syracuse, UConn
St John's, Providence, Seton Hall, Rutgers
Marquette, DePaul, Notre Dame, Louisville
Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati, South Florida
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 08:57:23 AM by Villacats »