Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ohio State  (Read 14396 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: Ohio State
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »
Just last year they beat Wisconsin, Washington, and Ole Miss.  But hey, don't let facts get in the way.

And I'll add, West Virginia, UCONN, Louisville and Cincinnati.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »
And I'll add, West Virginia, UCONN, Louisville and Cincinnati.

Rutgers is the state school of New Jersey also
Bring back FFP!!!

HelixAir6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »
I vaguely recall they said the day before the game that after checking that closer, moving below decks would not have been an option afterall

You may be right on that, I don't remembering hearing that...

Wikipedia mentions that there was a duplicate court setup in the hangar bay... then again, its Wikipedia, so anybody could have written it:

"A duplicate setup was built in the hangar bay in case of inclement weather, but was not needed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Classic

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:27:31 PM by HelixAir6 »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »
From all I think there is a chance that this game looks very ugly...not "blowout ugly"...but just kind of a bad offense kind of ugly.  Two teams replacing a bunch of scoring playing their first game of the year. 

Completely agree. I understand from a marketing/program perspective the pluses of this game, but from a basketball point of view, I think this game stinks. Beyond both teams replacing scorers, the fact this is the first game of year for both teams, in a weird environment, with the possibility of significant outside influences (the weather), I wonder what either team will really be able to take away from this match-up.

HelixAir6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
I vaguely recall they said the day before the game that after checking that closer, moving below decks would not have been an option afterall

Looks like you are right, they didn't want to do it because of small quarters, less spectators, etc.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/38495/rain-wont-force-carrier-classic-below-deck

Maybe they will just do rain delays for bad weather like baseball...  What's crazy to me is last year's Carrier Classic was in San Diego, where it seems to be 80 and sunny year round...  Doing a quick search, San Diego weather averages for November are HI of 70/Low of 54 with 1.1 in. of rain...  Charleston is HI of 69/ LOW of 47 with 2.5 in. of rain...  I'm no meteorologist, so I don't know how significant that is, but over twice as much rain would seem to indicate a little more of a risk in Charleston than San Diego...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 03:57:35 PM »
Wow... To be honest, I'd rather it rain and see how that would work.  

"For last year's game btw MSU and UNC, they said they would be able to move the court below deck into the hanger if the weather didn't cooperate.  Not sure if that is the same for this game or if there is a backup location...  But i would assume it is the same."
I believe the York Town is a World War II carrier and therefore is smaller than the modern carrier that the game in San Diego was on.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »

Forget about rain... I want it to be cold.  As in 35-40 degree cold.  Buzz may turn into a popsicle, but MU's "cold-weather" lineup of Cadougan (Ontario), Blue (Wisconsin), Lockett (Minnesota), Wilson (Wisconsin) would have their way with any lineup that OSU can assemble of softies from Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, Southern Ohio, etc.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »
isn't still late hurricane season in early November as well?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »

Now that would affect shooting. wouldn't it?  I can picture Juan doing the 'Gilligan' hanging onto a flagpole.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »
I have been on the Yorktown,  that thing doesnt move at all, it is literally stuck in Cooper River Mud

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 10:00:34 PM »
All weather jokes aside, the game is outside and the carrier does still move.  Keeping our outside shooting to a minimum is key.  If we jack up 20+ threes that doesn't bode well.

Davante, Otule, JWill, and guards driving to the hoop should be the order of the day.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »
Wow... To be honest, I'd rather it rain and see how that would work.  

"For last year's game btw MSU and UNC, they said they would be able to move the court below deck into the hanger if the weather didn't cooperate.  Not sure if that is the same for this game or if there is a backup location...  But i would assume it is the same."
Thank you for being honest--it's the best policy after all.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
Forget about rain... I want it to be cold.  As in 35-40 degree cold.  Buzz may turn into a popsicle, but MU's "cold-weather" lineup of Cadougan (Ontario), Blue (Wisconsin), Lockett (Minnesota), Wilson (Wisconsin) would have their way with any lineup that OSU can assemble of softies from Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, Southern Ohio, etc.
I thought about that. As a kid I use to play outside all the time. However, i wonder how much Blue or Wilson have played outside. They have always had access to gyms and I suspect they are not use to playing outside.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 10:13:39 AM »
Would be great to have the great Pat Smith around to toss a ball off the deck.
Maybe someone can do it in his memory.  Maybe a little motivation for Vander?

# In February of 1968, McGuire took Pat Smith down to the Milwaukee lakefront and had him toss a beach ball into Lake Michigan to refute De Paul coach Ray Meyer’s grumpy assertion that the undersized center “couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean from the beach.”

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 10:16:49 AM »
Would be great to have the great Pat Smith around to toss a ball off the deck.
Maybe someone can do it in his memory.  Maybe a little motivation for Vander?

# In February of 1968, McGuire took Pat Smith down to the Milwaukee lakefront and had him toss a beach ball into Lake Michigan to refute De Paul coach Ray Meyer’s grumpy assertion that the undersized center “couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean from the beach.”

Technically, he threw it into the lake, which I suppose is more difficult. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »
Completely agree. I understand from a marketing/program perspective the pluses of this game, but from a basketball point of view, I think this game stinks. Beyond both teams replacing scorers, the fact this is the first game of year for both teams, in a weird environment, with the possibility of significant outside influences (the weather), I wonder what either team will really be able to take away from this match-up.

The winner will likely be able to take away a "quality win"...but I understand what you are saying.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »
My advanced weather app says it will be partly sunny with a high of 70 on November 9.  A low of 48, won't it be a little cool for an evening game?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
My advanced weather app says it will be partly sunny with a high of 70 on November 9.  A low of 48, won't it be a little cool for an evening game?
Not in my living room. :D

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
OSU ranked #4 in USA Today poll

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
OSU ranked #4 in USA Today poll

Last year's preseason #4 was UConn. Teams that make a deep NCAA Tournament run tend to be highly ranked to start the next season even if they lose an All-American. IOW, preseason rankings don't mean much.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »
Regardless, we'll be playing the #4 team in the country for our first game.  That's awesome whether or not it's on a boat.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »
Just saw nbcsports channel pimpin the MU v OSU game as the beginning of the college ball season during an episode of dangerous game.

They are hunting African elephants on Dangerous Game. Kinda ironic.....

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »
an important question you forgot: anyone on the team afraid of boats/water or get seasick easily?

The beauty is that you can be on a carrier and have no clue that you are on a "boat".   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »

I'm looking forward to Hurricane Vander or maybe Hurricane Trent.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 08:45:45 AM »

Hurricane season runs through November 30, though the expectation is that there aren't any more storms coming off Africa with enough momentum to cross to our hemisphere. Sandy should be the last hurricane this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback