'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Texas A&M is Buzz's dream job" -- guess who?  (Read 8186 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
"Texas A&M is Buzz's dream job" -- guess who?
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:41:28 PM »
You're right!  MU lover Gery Woelfel of the Racine Jouranl times.  The full quote:

"It’s no secret to basketball insiders that Marquette University’s Buzz Williams, one of college basketball’s up-and-coming star coaches, looked into some other jobs after last season. If the Golden Eagles have another good season, and there’s no reason to believe they won’t, you can safely assume several colleges will come calling for Williams. One school to watch out for: Texas A&M. I’m told it would be Williams’ “dream job.”'
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
Re: "Texas A&M is Buzz's dream job" -- guess who?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:43:09 PM »
Was it his dream job last year, when it was open and Buzz signed an extension with MU instead?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:44:11 PM »
Worst paper in America, not because of Gery either.

Toolbox

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:50:01 PM »
That has got to be the worst website I have ever seen for a newspaper.  Is it run by an eleven year old in his basement?  Looked up "Gery" and his articles/tweets are pathetic.  I mean, who pays for this "paper" and who reads it - no one is going to this site for real info, right?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:36:25 PM »
Didn't A&M look into Buzz when Turgeon left for Maryland and ran away in fear when they realized how much Buzz gets paid?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:22:27 AM »
I cant believe that A&M ran away because of money.  That school has more money than God,  it is hugely connected to Houston oil money.  Buzz would be a monster hit down there.  They have a fan base that is very, very, very loyal, and has super deep pockets.  No, money is not an issue.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:34:39 AM »
I cant believe that A&M ran away because of money.  That school has more money than God,  it is hugely connected to Houston oil money.  Buzz would be a monster hit down there.  They have a fan base that is very, very, very loyal, and has super deep pockets.  No, money is not an issue.

Might be. Look at their history of hiring hoops coaches and how they reacted to Buzz's new contract last summer.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
I guess Gery's dream job was Racine, which should tell you something.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 07:54:49 AM »
I cant believe that A&M ran away because of money.  That school has more money than God,  it is hugely connected to Houston oil money.  Buzz would be a monster hit down there.  They have a fan base that is very, very, very loyal, and has super deep pockets.  No, money is not an issue.

A&M has money, but I am not sure they are as rich as you portray them to be.  They have always been the "poor sister" to Texas and one of the reasons they left for the SEC is to get the $$ that Texas has.  Right now they are paying their football coach only $2M, and their basketball coach $1M.  

And don't count out Billy Kennedy yet either.  The guy can coach, and with him missing a month due to a Parkinsons diagnosis last year, got off to a real rough start.  But he's built winners wherever he has gone.  Last year's Murray State team was essentially put together by Kennedy and his staff.  

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »
So now we are waiting until the end of the year to speculate about Buzz's next move, we are starting four days after MM.

Is this a new land-speed record?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »
So now we are waiting until the end of the year to speculate about Buzz's next move, we are starting four days after MM.

Is this a new land-speed record?
It's depressing is what it is.  When will it ever stop? 

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 08:06:14 AM »
I guess Gery's dream job was Racine, which should tell you something.

As someone who grew up in Racine I should be offended.  Then again, I grew up in Racine, so I know exactly what you mean.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:08:41 AM »
I'm unsure why we are giving this hack any page hits. 

Some people around here really need to have thicker skin.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 08:17:57 AM »

A&M has money, but I am not sure they are as rich as you portray them to be.  They have always been the "poor sister" to Texas and one of the reasons they left for the SEC is to get the $$ that Texas has.  Right now they are paying their football coach only $2M, and their basketball coach $1M.  

And don't count out Billy Kennedy yet either.  The guy can coach, and with him missing a month due to a Parkinsons diagnosis last year, got off to a real rough start.  But he's built winners wherever he has gone.  Last year's Murray State team was essentially put together by Kennedy and his staff.  

You are right about why they left for the SEC.  Texas and Oklahoma were getting a dispraportionate share of the revenue.  A&M saw much greener pastures in the SEC.  Can't say as a I blame them for bailing.  Nothing wrong with SEC football from both a competitiveness and brand standpoint. 

Was down in College Station on campus for business a few weeks ago.  Yes, t.u. (as they say at A&M) is bigger than Texas A&M.  However, I was impressed by the loyalty and the resources that school has.  If they wanted to throw serious cash at a coach, they have the resources.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
So this article has been sitting in Gery's outbox for 7 months or Buzz suddenly has great interest in Texas A&M and is channeling through Gery?

Me thinks this is a throw some crap out there article by a crap writer for a crap newspaper trying to generate some hype - congrats, you made Gery relevant for his 15 minutes for the year

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »
Weird.

It's not really timely or newsworthy. And, 10min. of internet research would have given him some perspective on the current A&M coaching situation.

I do think Buzz would have some interest in the A&M job, but the stars are not aligned for such a move right now. No need for fans to worry about it, or columnists to write about it.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »
WOW this is starting much earlier than usual this year

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 09:19:46 AM »
A coach is more likely to leave when he does not have a great recruiting class coming in. I would argue that the 2012 class is Buzz's weakest. His 2013 class on paper is his best. When you work so hard to put together the 2013 year's great recruiting class you are not likely to go anywhere unless it is to a blue blood program.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 10:02:04 AM »

Funny which comment in Woeful's column got the attention of MU fans.  In the very same column Woeful writes a largely positive blurb on Emblid:

"Big-time recruit

When was the last time the Marquette University men’s basketball team had an authentic man in the middle or, as the late, great Al McGuire used to say, an “aircraft carrier?” Probably not since former St. Catherine’s High School star Jim McIlvaine blocked or altered virtually every shot taken in the lane in the early ‘90s.

But the Golden Eagles appear to have a legitimate chance to land a talented big man in Joel Embiid, a 6-foot-11 unpolished gem who attends The Rock School in Gainesville, Fla. Embiid hails from Cameroon, where he was encouraged to play the game by fellow Cameroonian Luc Mbah a Moute of the Milwaukee Bucks.

“He’s going to be really good,” Mbah a Moute said of Embiid. “He’s only played basketball for about 16, 18 months, but he can do so many things already. His potential is enormous.”

Mbah a Moute said Embiid has made official visits to Texas and Kansas and will visit Virginia this weekend. He is expected to visit Florida and Marquette in November."

--

As for the Texas A&M job, I don't know that I'd rest easy that Kennedy is secure. Coaches seem to have a much shorter leash these days--especially if their early recruiting classes don't measure up.  And Kennedy isn't landing much of the top-level talent out of Texas.  2012 they landed the the #72 and #100 ESPN players, this year they have the #92 player. 

Not saying the boosters are ready to turn yet.  But when you're being arguably out-recruited by Houston (and you look at Marquette's recruiting) its certainly plausible to think that the boosters are changing their opinion on the value of of Buzz's salary premium.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »
Meh.   I just can't generate the outrage/panic/fear anymore.   'Wolf' has been cried too many times.   I am going to relish the rennaissance of MU basketball that Buzz has built on top of what Crean did.   Hopefully, he stays 20 years.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:32 AM »
As for the Texas A&M job, I don't know that I'd rest easy that Kennedy is secure. Coaches seem to have a much shorter leash these days--especially if their early recruiting classes don't measure up.  And Kennedy isn't landing much of the top-level talent out of Texas.  2012 they landed the the #72 and #100 ESPN players, this year they have the #92 player. 

Not saying the boosters are ready to turn yet.  But when you're being arguably out-recruited by Houston (and you look at Marquette's recruiting) its certainly plausible to think that the boosters are changing their opinion on the value of of Buzz's salary premium.

You're not wrong, but by that logic, we should never rest easy. We can't (or at least I can't) be concerned with what might happen with a coach a year or 2 down the line.

I'm not trying to turn a blind eye to the reality, but I enjoy the current coach and program, and I'm not going to lose sleep over what might happen at A&M.

Buzz isn't handcuffed to his desk, and if/when he decides to retire or take another job, he's welcome to do so. I hope its a long time from now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 10:31:01 AM »
Meh.   I just can't generate the outrage/panic/fear anymore.   'Wolf' has been cried too many times.   I am going to relish the rennaissance of MU basketball that Buzz has built on top of what Crean did.   Hopefully, he stays 20 years.   

That was how I felt before Crean left. He had flirted with every high major job in the country it seemed and they all resulted in new contracts with Marquette. Of course, no one cried wolf over Indiana, because the first whispers we heard of Crean leaving was Crean himself on a crimson stage proclaiming "It's Indiana, it's Indiana".
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »
I 2nd this.... after all of the so-called drama this past year and rumors of Buzz leaving I'm at the point where, "if/when it happens, it happens."

If Buzz doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him here. Each year Buzz is making this a more attractive job to whomever may have to come and replace him; just like TC did, and that worked out perfectly in my opinion.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »
 And again, let's go back to some easily forgotten things when stories like this pop up.    1.  MU IS a name.    Weren't we just in the top 20 programs of the last 50 years?    The little underdog schtick we all like to do is fun, but in basketball, MU has cache.    2.   MU pays its coaches.   It is going to cost huge $ to give Buzz any kind of raise or better facilities than he has at MU.     Is it possible Buzz leaves some day?   Yup.  People change jobs all of the time.   But IMO it would have to be to a program that is a significant step up and there just aren't that many out there. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »

If Buzz doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him here.

Same reason why I don't care about Embiid or any other uncommitted recruit.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback