[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jajuan Johnson at Madness  (Read 50654 times)

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Re: Jajuan Johnson at Madness
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 12:03:30 PM »
If recruits want to go to parties take them to parties.  What high school kid wouldn't want to see a college party?
Agree!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »
Just because it's happening elsewhere doesn't mean we need to associate ourselves with it.  If it costs us a few recruits, so be it. 

Square.  Let's make them stay for Sunday morning mass.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
I'm all for showing kids a good time as long as its within the law and NCAA rules.  I don't think they should be taking kids to an economics lecture on Friday night, but let's be honest, any top 100 recruit who is only focused on finding the hottest girls and best campus parties is probably not going to Marquette and I don't think Buzz wants those kids anyway.

When I was in high school I did two overnight campus visits (I was a non-basketball athlete).  At one school the guys were nice enough but it seemed like all people did was get wasted (including some very attractive women).  At Marquette, there were obviously parties but the people seemed more well rounded and open to doing things other than getting drunk.  I didn't drink in high school so I liked the Marquette scene a lot more.  When I hosted recruits in college we occasionally offered them a beer while in the apartment but never pushed it or got drunk with them.

A (girl) friend of mine was a highly recruited basketball player who was an excellent student and very focused.  She visited Marquette and they took her out to the bars and ordered several shots.  She committed to Minnesota the following week.  An assistant coach told me years later that he deeply regreted what happened and they put a policy in place after that visit.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »
 I don't think they should be taking kids to an economics lecture on Friday night, but let's be honest, any top 100 recruit who is only focused on finding the hottest girls and best campus parties is probably not going to Marquette and I don't think Buzz wants those kids anyway.

I am sure that the SEC schools are still bummed that they had to get rid of their, ahem, "hostesses", whose job it was to make sure the recruits had a "good time" while they were there.....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:48:39 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
Just because it's happening elsewhere doesn't mean we need to associate ourselves with it.  If it costs us a few recruits, so be it. 

Isn't there some middle ground between a drunken orgy with already paid for hookers and a program approved (and totally attended) by Mom? People around here complain that the basketball team isn't part of the student body but then go batspit every time a player acts like one. I'm not talking about sexual assault (allegations), but that Club 720 "incident" was a joke that even the biggest prude on campus should be embarrassed to be offended by. Very few young people (basketball players or otherwise) want to go to a monastery after high school.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »
I am sure that the SEC is still bummed that they had to get rid of their, ahem, "hostesses", whose job it was to make sure the recruits had a "good time" while they were there.....

I think the part that needs to be in quotes is "get rid of".  Let's see, we want this 18 yr. old guy to really enjoy his time here.  He's too young too drink, giving him money or other valuables is a NCAA violation and easily traceable.  If only we had 20,000 attractive young single women who get drunk every weekend...oh wait.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 12:56:35 PM »

You thought I was serious?

Bieberhole69

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
Isn't there some middle ground between a drunken orgy with already paid for hookers and a program approved (and totally attended) by Mom? People around here complain that the basketball team isn't part of the student body but then go batspit every time a player acts like one. I'm not talking about sexual assault (allegations), but that Club 720 "incident" was a joke that even the biggest prude on campus should be embarrassed to be offended by. Very few young people (basketball players or otherwise) want to go to a monastery after high school.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say.  However...if I found out Jabari Parker and Diamond Stone wanted to do a bunch of blow with hookers all weekend long and that would likely make them commit to MU, I think I could let it slide.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »

Fair enough, and I think going to parties, etc., should be part of the campus visit experience .... within reason.
Remember, we're dealing here with mostly 16 and 17 year-olds (and maybe some younger) who a) aren't always known for their good judgment and b) whose parents have entrusted MU with their care. Sending said kid home Sunday morning with a hangover isn't going to leave a very good impression.
At the end of the day, it's better to party too little than too much.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »
A friend of mine at MU was part of the shadow program where HS kids would come up on Thursday night or Friday morning to visit the campus, go with him to class, etc and stay with him until Saturday. When he'd meet the "shadows," he would give them a quick rundown of the schedule and always end by saying, "We might be going to a party tonight too." Based on the kid's reaction he would know almost immediately if the kid wanted to go out or wanted to lay low and he'd base his plans on that. You don't want to scare the kid off, you don't want him to be bored and you don't want him to get his stomach pumped. I have a feeling that the basketball players are at least somewhat similar when recruits visit...although they obviously need to be much, much more careful than a bunch of engineers.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2012, 01:36:12 PM »
This is pretty much what I was trying to say.  However...if I found out Jabari Parker and Diamond Stone wanted to do a bunch of blow with hookers all weekend long and that would likely make them commit to MU, I think I could let it slide.

And that's why you are a moron.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »

Topher! Nice. Sadly I agree.

A workaholics fan is always good in my book. We'll have to meet up at the Penthouse penthouse.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2012, 02:17:34 PM »
You thought I was serious?

Not you specifically, but there are plenty here who are as you can see.  Just addressing the situation as a whole.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
I think the part that needs to be in quotes is "get rid of".  Let's see, we want this 18 yr. old guy to really enjoy his time here.  He's too young too drink, giving him money or other valuables is a NCAA violation and easily traceable.  If only we had 20,000 attractive young single women who get drunk every weekend...oh wait.

Good point.  They just don't put them in matching outfits on the cover of the alumni newsletter any more.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »
Not you specifically, but there are plenty here who are as you can see.  Just addressing the situation as a whole.

If by plenty, you mean bieberhole 69, okay. And he's probably mostly kidding.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »
I'm all for showing kids a good time as long as its within the law and NCAA rules.  I don't think they should be taking kids to an economics lecture on Friday night, but let's be honest, any top 100 recruit who is only focused on finding the hottest girls and best campus parties is probably not going to Marquette and I don't think Buzz wants those kids anyway.
So your saying if Diamond Stone told buzz that he wants to go to Marquette for the parties that Buzz would all the sudden say "You know what Diamond I think we can move on without you, but thanks for showing up"     Dont kid yourself, Buzz is like all of us he wants the best players

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
So your saying if Diamond Stone told buzz that he wants to go to Marquette for the parties that Buzz would all the sudden say "You know what Diamond I think we can move on without you, but thanks for showing up"     Dont kid yourself, Buzz is like all of us he wants the best players

This has got to be one of the more absurd statements I have read.  In fact, I am fairly certain he would tell him to move on.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »

+10000000000000

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »

This has got to be one of the more absurd statements I have read.  In fact, I am fairly certain he would tell him to move on.

Than you must have a pretty naive view of College Athletics. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »
Than you must have a pretty naive view of College Athletics. 

No...I don't.  I actually have a fairly knowledgeable one.  However, I am fairly certain that if a top prospect said to Buzz that the main reason he wants to come to MU is because of the "parties" that Buzz would not take that prospect.  Many coaches wouldn't take him.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »

Alright.  You are a moron too.

Bieberhole69

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2012, 04:12:38 PM »
Alright.  You are a moron too.
Take it easy with the name calling bro

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
Take it easy with the name calling bro
Hey Bieberhole, if there is one thing that I found out, its that if someone disagrees with you on this board, they resort to name calling.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2012, 04:22:23 PM »
Hey Bieberhole, if there is one thing that I found out, its that if someone disagrees with you on this board, they resort to name calling.

Who'd have figured that the guy who made a snarky remark about Dominic James bagging groceries would be so easily offended?

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
Who'd have figured that the guy who made a snarky remark about Dominic James bagging groceries would be so easily offended?
You sure showed me.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen