[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Who is Larry going to hire to replace Buzz?  (Read 9357 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Who is Larry going to hire to replace Buzz?
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:47:44 AM »
Once he finishes Fr.P's call to finish off Buzz.

And who do you want?  (might as well get the projections going)

Since Pilarz wants us to recruit the academic superstars at a mid-level academic institution, and we know a proven head coach in the big leagues won't touch this job with a 10 ft pole given the new restrictions.....

I'll say Chris Collins or Steve Wojchiekowski.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Who is Larry going to hire to replace Buzz?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:54:26 AM »
Ummm, last time I checked Buzz is still our coach for the upcoming season and probably for multiple seasons after that as well.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 05:33:17 AM »
Dumb.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Wacky comments, Stone Cold
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 06:12:57 AM »

Since Pilarz wants us to recruit the academic superstars at a mid-level academic institution, and we know a proven head coach in the big leagues won't touch this job with a 10 ft pole given the new restrictions.....

You are free to write whatever you want, Stone Cold, but this one seems, well, silly bordering on stupid.

Fr. Pilarz’ “call too finish off Buzz”?

Stone Cold, you been doin’ a bit of boozin’, have you? Suckin’ back on grandpa’s old cough medicine?

Also, in my neck of the woods, Marquette has a terrific reputation and is considered a fine, fine university. I hear this whenever I sport a bit of “Marquette” apparel.

You obviously feel differently, Stone Cold, given your “mid-level academic institution” swipe.

I know there is that faction in Milwaukee who thinks that nothing in their own backyard can be as good as what exists elsewhere. Some in Milwaukee think Marquette is “just” Marquette, just that school downtown, not a strong, well-respected university.

Outside of that faction and certainly outside of Milwaukee, Marquette enjoys a terrific reputation and actually wins applause for its academics as well as its athletics.

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Wacky comments, Stone Cold
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 07:02:27 AM »

I know there is that faction in Milwaukee who thinks that nothing in their own backyard can be as good as what exists elsewhere. Some in Milwaukee think Marquette is “just” Marquette, just that school downtown, not a strong, well-respected university.

Outside of that faction and certainly outside of Milwaukee, Marquette enjoys a terrific reputation and actually wins applause for its academics as well as its athletics.

Thank you. This faction has been in Milwaukee as long as Chicago has been a major city. It's the urban version of pe_is envy. They wish they could be Chicago... but are privately thankful they aren't.

They are almost as bad as the Milwaukee Rah Rahs, who think if it did not happen in Wisconsin, it doesn't matter. Biggest Milwaukee and Wisconsin Rah Rah -- the Journal Sentinel!!!!!

A final thought: we're doing well with Buzz and I sure hope that continues for a long time to come.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 07:07:15 AM »
Why even start this?

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »
So LW will make the cut yet Buzz doesn't?

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 08:20:26 AM »
Tony Bennett. Yawn.
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »

Little good ever comes from drinking to excess on week nights.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »
The OP is dumb.

MU is a mid-level institution and there is nothing wrong with that-check the rankings if you disagree.

Buzz is our coach so why don't we just enjoy it while he is here..these teams are going to be REALLY good while he is here so pony up some cash and get your asses to the games to support these awesome teams while they are awesome.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:28 AM »
Next Marquette coach: Coach K. He grew up nearby (Chicago) and if there's anyone who can have success while getting around "restrictions," it's him.

Unfortunately, I think Coach K will be retired by the time the MU job opens up.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »
Phil Jackson.

I mean, as long as we're being stupid ....

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
We'll bring this one back in 8 months.    When the last bomb has been dropped.

We are not going to be able to recruit like Stanford and Notre Dame until we do the hard work of getting MU to at least a top 50 institution.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
Compare endowments of the top 50 schools and that will clue you as to what is needed to piss with the big boys.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »
I think we've long since passed the point where posts like this are beating dead horses.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
We'll bring this one back in 8 months.    When the last bomb has been dropped.

We are not going to be able to recruit like Stanford and Notre Dame until we do the hard work of getting MU to at least a top 50 institution.

Did you wake up in a cold sweat panic last night thinking about this?

mueagle84

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 08:01:31 PM »
ZIGGY!

"WHERE TOMORROWS BUSINESS LEADERS EAT TODAY"!!

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: Wacky comments, Stone Cold
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 12:27:30 AM »
Thank you. This faction has been in Milwaukee as long as Chicago has been a major city. It's the urban version of pe_is envy. They wish they could be Chicago... but are privately thankful they aren't.

You can't say hairy wet cats but I'm pretty sure you can say penis.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 09:27:31 AM »
I'm going to 'poach' this thread in a slightly different (but possibly interesting) direction.

I have long stated that every lifetime Milwaukeean needs to live somewhere else for 2 years before they are allowed to come back and see how great their hometown is.

- No other city its size has big time major league sports to the extent MKE does.  Not one.  So get your fat a*s to a Brewers game and stop complaining about freakin' $8 parking!  Bucks too.  And missing a MU game?  Better have a damn good excuse because I made about 12 last year driving from Chicago.
- Finest summer festival season imaginable.  If you didn't go at least once this summer, you are missing a treasure.  You ever been to 'Taste'?  It blows!
- Tremendous restaurants for a city its size.
- Good, easily accessible airport.  Fight O'Hare only if you're a fool.
- Modest traffic problems and reasonable commutes for most.
- Affordable housing.
- Nice people with wonderful Wisconsin accents.
- Brewery tours.

And yet I can clearly remember all the bitc*ing and complaining when the Bradley/Pettit family GIFTED the BC to the community because taxpayers would have to pay a few million for the movement of the rescue mission and new curbs and gutters on the surrounding streets.  You know how much 'gifting' happened with the United Center?  Nada.

Does my hometown have its challenges?  Of course it does.  But it remains a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »
^ good post, I truly appreciated coming back to Milwaukee in 1989 after living 2 years in the beautiful piedmont region of NC and another 3 years in the Twin Cities
both of those places were OK but I really felt at home back here; NC had zero professional sports back then so that period did really get me into college Bball but I hated having to watch the Redskins every Sunday down there

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »
I'm going to 'poach' this thread in a slightly different (but possibly interesting) direction.

I have long stated that every lifetime Milwaukeean needs to live somewhere else for 2 years before they are allowed to come back and see how great their hometown is.

- No other city its size has big time major league sports to the extent MKE does.  Not one.  So get your fat a*s to a Brewers game and stop complaining about freakin' $8 parking!  Bucks too.  And missing a MU game?  Better have a damn good excuse because I made about 12 last year driving from Chicago.
- Finest summer festival season imaginable.  If you didn't go at least once this summer, you are missing a treasure.  You ever been to 'Taste'?  It blows!
- Tremendous restaurants for a city its size.
- Good, easily accessible airport.  Fight O'Hare only if you're a fool.
- Modest traffic problems and reasonable commutes for most.
- Affordable housing.
- Nice people with wonderful Wisconsin accents.
- Brewery tours.

And yet I can clearly remember all the bitc*ing and complaining when the Bradley/Pettit family GIFTED the BC to the community because taxpayers would have to pay a few million for the movement of the rescue mission and new curbs and gutters on the surrounding streets.  You know how much 'gifting' happened with the United Center?  Nada.

Does my hometown have its challenges?  Of course it does.  But it remains a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

One of my favorite "lifelong Milwaukeeans don't appreciate their town" stories has to do with our wedding.  One of the partners at my accounting firm was a member at the Milwaukee Athletic Club, and he sponsored me so that we could have our reception in their spectacular Emerald Ballroom, one of the most beautiful rooms in town.  Our delicious, 4-course prime rib dinner cost $19 a plate.  Even in 1987, that was a bargain.  And we had a really great top-40 band that, as I recall, set us back all of $500.

So you think all of the guests would be happy?  Well, not quite.  Apparently some of the native Milwaukeeans were a little miffed about being charged the outrageous sum of two dollars to park in the lot next to the MAC. At the same time, our Chicago friends were saying. "Milwaukee is great!  I can't believe it only costs two bucks to park downtown!"
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »
Anyone can walk into Summerfest at the full rack rate of an astonishing $15 and see a musical lineup that's simply outstanding, year after year.  But every year I see folks bitc*ing about the 'crappy' talent in the Journal Sentinel.  Absolutely reminds me of the fool students who wondered aloud why I couldn't book Springsteen for the Varsity in 1982.  Seriously.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
Chick,
Shoulda just gone all out and picked up all your guests parkin' fees and tips. Just sayin'.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
Chick,
Shoulda just gone all out and picked up all your guests parkin' fees and tips. Just sayin'.

You are probably right.  But I was a 25-year-old on a budget;  I didn't want to downgrade to the wedding band with the 70-year-old drummer and "Proud Mary" as the hottest new song in their repertoire just so we could afford to pay for Uncle Norb's parking.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »
Our delicious, 4-course prime rib dinner cost $19 a plate. 

Prime rib is gross.  I wonder what firm you worked at and until what year...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback