'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Notre Dame to ACC  (Read 37145 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Notre Dame to ACC
« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2012, 03:45:46 PM »
The timing of this announcement had to be orchestrated with the negotiations with the TV contract. My guess is that the new commissioner (ESPN guy) knew this in advance and wanted to get it out there before a new deal is inked. If the league was going to explode, my sense is that others would have announced today as well. ESPN probably wanted things sorted out before it agreed to a deal. As much as I want a basketball only conference, I dont think its happening.

The new commissioner has nothing to do with ESPN. He was an exec at CBS. Newsflash, the league has been exploding.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
They wanted no part of Buzz doing an improvised touchdown Jesus dance on center court in the leprechaun's face after a come from behind victory with all 5 starters suspended cuz Larry Williams caught them eating off-brand Wheaties.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »
One thing people forget about is that the Big Ten has very, very high standards for admitting schools. Every memeber is a part of a "top 100 schools" in the country organization and they want to keep that in tact moving forward. Rutgers is not on that list and it's why they weren't looking to add them in over Missouri (who is on the list). Mizzou is now out of the question.

My point is that, unless the Big Ten comes to the realization that they need to relax these policies, it may be stuck in limbo for a while and by the time they decide to make a change, it'll be too late. The same thing is happening now in the Big East. They are on the cusp of losing control of their own destiny. Some would say it's already lost.
I think all the schools mentioned above would have been added to the Big Ten had it made sense to them.  They added Nebraska, which clearly suggests they aren't as strict on academics as people thought.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2012, 09:09:06 PM »
This sucks, but I don't think it changes MU position from a bargaining strategy standpoint at all. MU is still best off in a holding pattern.  Even the most optimistic cite "stability" as the best thing to come from ND leaving. Stability is the cheapest and potentially most easily acquired asset in this whole shakeup. Always has been.  At any point, the BBall only schools could have made the BBall only conference with the A10. Could have yesterday, could tomorrow - and that would be the most "stable." But its not the most profitable or best for the school. Instead, MU is better off letting this shakeout to see if a) this starts a trend of each big conference taking a couple BBall only schools or b) the remaining BEast powers get plucked. Nothing MU does will prevent other BEast schools from jumping to the bigger, better conferences, and nothing short of those conferences coming calling will prevent MU from joining up into a BBall only conference in the future. So we sit tight.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »
One thing people forget about is that the Big Ten has very, very high standards for admitting schools. Every memeber is a part of a "top 100 schools" in the country organization and they want to keep that in tact moving forward. Rutgers is not on that list and it's why they weren't looking to add them in over Missouri (who is on the list). Mizzou is now out of the question.

My point is that, unless the Big Ten comes to the realization that they need to relax these policies, it may be stuck in limbo for a while and by the time they decide to make a change, it'll be too late. The same thing is happening now in the Big East. They are on the cusp of losing control of their own destiny. Some would say it's already lost.

Rutgers has been a member of the Association of American Universities since 1989, and were looked at quite closely by the Big Ten the last go round.  Nebraska football, however, was a national brand that provided real added value to the Big Ten's football contract as well as being a team whose fans travel VERY well and that trumped AAU membership this time around.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
Thanks Lil' Murs. That's it!

And yes, Nebraska is one of the top 10 brand-names in college football, along with Michigan and Ohio Shat. That was a no-brainer and a better move than picking up Mizzou.

I guess, geographically, I'm hoping (unrealistically) the B10 adds a couple non-football teams to the league in the general geographic area. Logistically, MU wouldn't add much to travel in the league and would really add a lot of juice to Wisconsin vs. MU. And if you don't think two B10 schools that close can't work, look at Ann Arbor and East Lansing. It can work.

MU's hoops tradition would help the B10, I think. But...I think that's mostly wishful thinking on my part.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2012, 06:53:57 AM »
Please stop saying that Academics has anything to do with this, you just hurt your own credibility on this subject.

The ONLY, and repeat ONLY, thing driving this is TV markets and football brand.  The purpose of these conferences is to put together a large enough group of schools that will demand the highest dollar amount from a TV contract. 

Trust me, if a state prison football team made the conference more marketable to ESPN, they would become a member of that conference in a heartbeat.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »
Please stop saying that Academics has anything to do with this, you just hurt your own credibility on this subject.

I disagree. I'm not going to say it's the primary factor by any means, but the Big Ten wouldn't add Memphis even if their football program moved into the top-10. Nebraska probably wouldn't be invited to the Big Ten today since they have been expelled from the AAU due to not having a medical campus and not having certain programs recognized. I think it's less of a concern for the ACC and Pac-12, but both will at least look at academics. I'm not sure the SEC or Big 12 care at all.

Academics aren't the first factor anyone is looking at, but for some conferences, it is a factor that will come up in the discussion.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »
MU would add nothing to the Big Ten.  No new market, no football, small fan base, etc.  Not going to happen.

And yes, Nebraska is one of the top 10 brand-names in college football, along with Michigan and Ohio Shat. That was a no-brainer and a better move than picking up Mizzou.

I guess, geographically, I'm hoping (unrealistically) the B10 adds a couple non-football teams to the league in the general geographic area. Logistically, MU wouldn't add much to travel in the league and would really add a lot of juice to Wisconsin vs. MU. And if you don't think two B10 schools that close can't work, look at Ann Arbor and East Lansing. It can work.

MU's hoops tradition would help the B10, I think. But...I think that's mostly wishful thinking on my part.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2012, 08:03:30 AM »

The ONLY, and repeat ONLY, thing driving this is TV markets and football brand.  The purpose of these conferences is to put together a large enough group of schools that will demand the highest dollar amount from a TV contract. 

Trust me, if a state prison football team made the conference more marketable to ESPN, they would become a member of that conference in a heartbeat.

I'm w/what Brew City said, although more clearly than me. Surely I'm not naive enough to think the almighty dollar is a huge factor in this. I am saying, however, that academics do play a role, especially in the Big Ten. If they didn't, the make-up would be way different than what it currently is.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
I'm w/what Brew City said, although more clearly than me. Surely I'm not naive enough to think the almighty dollar is a huge factor in this. I am saying, however, that academics do play a role, especially in the Big Ten. If they didn't, the make-up would be way different than what it currently is.

So we think Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Oho State and Michigan State are good academic institutions?  UWM is a better academic institution.

The B10 has only one elite academic institution - Northwestern.  Michigan is close and the rest are average.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2012, 08:19:39 AM »
I think all the schools mentioned above would have been added to the Big Ten had it made sense to them.  They added Nebraska, which clearly suggests they aren't as strict on academics as people thought.

Strict on academics? Ron Dayne played four years in that conference.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »
So we think Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Oho State and Michigan State are good academic institutions?  UWM is a better academic institution.

The B10 has only one elite academic institution - Northwestern.  Michigan is close and the rest are average.

Average?  You're kidding, right?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2012, 08:22:15 AM »
Average?  You're kidding, right?

I assume you mean that I'm giving them too much credit.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »
No teal, no credibility.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »

This statement is pretty dumb.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »

Yeah, you should really stop thinking wishfully like that. Nothing but disappointment awaits.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

nyg

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

List came out yesterday and yes this list is viewed as an important aspect for all universities every year.

Northwestern #12
Michigan #29
Wisconsin #41
Illinois #46
OSU #56
Purdue #65
Minnesota #68
MSU #72
Iowa #72 (tie)
Indiana #83

Marquette #83 (tie)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:28 AM »
The education quality of large state universities is the most over-rated thing this country has.  That is why I never went to one and I'm not encouraging any of my kids to consider one.

Nothing screams "mediocre" more than a University of 40,000+.

If it makes you feel better that you tax dollars are not wasted on these glorified warehouses of humanity, go right ahead and flame me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »
The education quality of large state universities is the most over-rated thing this country has.  That is why I never went to one.

"I never experienced this, but I know I'm right."

If it makes you feel better that you tax dollars are not wasted on these glorified warehouses of humanity, go right ahead and flame me.

7% of UW-Madison's budget comes from state taxes...7%.  UW-Madison educates 40,000 students, mostly undergraduate Wisconsin residents.  I can't imagine another part of state government that has that type of return on investment.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

List came out yesterday and yes this list is viewed as an important aspect for all universities every year.

Northwestern #12
Michigan #29
Wisconsin #41
Illinois #46
OSU #56
Purdue #65
Minnesota #68
MSU #72
Iowa #72 (tie)
Indiana #83

Marquette #83 (tie)

The only inaccuracy about Another84's comment is that UWM is a better academic institution.  Otherwise, his statement is pretty much spot on.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »
Since the is no way Marquette can get into the ACC I think the A-10 is a pretty good option.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
The education quality of large state universities is the most over-rated thing this country has.  That is why I never went to one and I'm not encouraging any of my kids to consider one.

Nothing screams "mediocre" more than a University of 40,000+.

Thats just like, your opinion, man.

But really, those are all great schools, and have improved a lot even in the last two decades.  They don't let every Tom, Dick, and Harry in.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2012, 09:46:58 AM »
7% of UW-Madison's budget comes from state taxes...7%.  UW-Madison educates 40,000 students, mostly undergraduate Wisconsin residents.  I can't imagine another part of state government that has that type of return on investment.

Curious, but what's your source on this?
Because, according to the university, it's more like 17 percent.

http://www.ls.wisc.edu/giving.html

Also, that's direct support. I'd imagine the state provides millions more to the university system indirectly (financial aid, research funding, etc.).
Not that public higher education is a poor use of resources - though it  suffers many of the same inefficiencies as any other public program - but I think you're playing down the amount of taxpayer support that's involved.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:50:16 AM by Pakuni »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »
The only inaccuracy about Another84's comment is that UWM is a better academic institution.  Otherwise, his statement is pretty much spot on.

No, "average" would put them in the top 500, not the top 100. They are considerably and clearly very good academic institutions.

This is a stupid tangent anyway, can we get back to discussing Marquette to the SEC?