[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194788 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
You nailed it.  I would compare him to Carlos Zambrano.

They both need to have shorter memories because they are both so close to being great.

Hards,
I was all set to give you grief for calling Zambrano "close to being great" - until I looked up his numbers. You're right - a bigger brain and a little less testosterone may have spelled greatness for Carlos.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »
I hate to say it, but Urlacher may need to get off the field.  He is such a liability now with that bum knee... can no longer get to the sidelines to cut off opponents.  All he is good for is runs up the middle, QB spy, and a small circumfrence of zone.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2012, 12:01:16 PM »
And yes, Jay Cutler is an idiot.  And a douchebag.  He's got great talent but doens't know how to play QB in this league. 

I mean, he married (or is planning on marrying) that dumb girl from Laguna Beach.  Who does that? 

Sucks about Forte, but I really like Michael Bush.  He filled in admirably last year in Oakland and should do the same if Tice can learn how to use him correctly. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »
If anybody needs Packer tickets let me know...

(Green Bay package, section 122, Row 6, seats 22, 23) Seats are on the end in the aisle.

Gracias.

please check/answer your PM's

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »
The major difference between QBs like Rodgers/Manning/Brady and Cutler (from a temper standpoint) is that the first group of guys yells at the teammate, regroups and goes back onto the field calm and focused. Cutler seems to hold on to that frustration, have the mindset of "F you all! I'm getting 14 points with this pass!" and fires a rocket into double coverage. It may be a matter of maturity or overconfidence or just personality type, but until Cutler is able to calm down and get his mindset right, he's going to continue to have ugly games like he did last night.

Winning cures all. Having said that, if Favre never won any super bowls (especially the early one), isn't this an accurate description of him?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
Winning cures all. Having said that, if Favre never won any super bowls (especially the early one), isn't this an accurate description of him?

Very, very close. The only difference is that Favre was the fun-loving gunslinger and Cutler is the pouty-faced gunslinger.

BTW, "the early one" is also "the only one."  ;)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU9Ke3uFP8w

Cutler said that the Packers wouldn't be able to play press man against the Bears' big WRs. The Packers' didn't play press man. Technically, Cutler was right  ;)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »
With the Vikings favorites and Detroit dogs this weekend, the consensus is........

MINNESOTA VIKINGS will be alone at the top of the NFC North on Sunday!  SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!

Tonight, both teams looked somewhere between bad and ordinary.  

Lol.  The COLTS?  Jeeze.  Now that the Queens are done playing the 2 worst teams (besides themselves) in the NFL, have fun ending the season on a 15 game losing streak.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »
Lol.  The COLTS?  Jeeze.  Now that the Queens are done playing the 2 worst teams (besides themselves) in the NFL, have fun ending the season on a 15 game losing streak.

Move that crapty franchise to LA already.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »
when the whole referee strike thing started, I honestly thought that we wouldn't be able to tell a difference. I thought finding 16 NFL refereeing crews would prove those 80 or so fellows to be totally fungible.  holy balls was I wrong. After having the Bal-Phi game on, and now the Pit-NYJ game, I can without exaggeration say that the replacement referees are beginning to interfere with my enjoyment of the game.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2012, 02:44:37 AM »
Move that crapty franchise to LA already.

The Lakers did, and look how it turned out for them! Lol
SS Marquette

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2012, 07:49:10 AM »
Very, very close. The only difference is that Favre was the fun-loving gunslinger and Cutler is the pouty-faced gunslinger.

BTW, "the early one" is also "the only one."  ;)

Really?? Should that have been in teal?  You are comparing a hall of fame, Top 5 QB of all time to Jay freaking Cutler.  Look at how many stats Favre leads in, Cutler would be luckey to get half of those numbers. Keep dreaming bear fans, maybe some day you too will have a mvp quarterback.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »
Really?? Should that have been in teal?  You are comparing a hall of fame, Top 5 QB of all time to Jay freaking Cutler.  Look at how many stats Favre leads in, Cutler would be luckey to get half of those numbers. Keep dreaming bear fans, maybe some day you too will have a mvp quarterback.

We were referring to this description, specifically the bolded part: The major difference between QBs like Rodgers/Manning/Brady and Cutler (from a temper standpoint) is that the first group of guys yells at the teammate, regroups and goes back onto the field calm and focused. Cutler seems to hold on to that frustration, have the mindset of "F you all! I'm getting 14 points with this pass!" and fires a rocket into double coverage.

You don't think that sounds like Favre?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »
We were referring to this description, specifically the bolded part: The major difference between QBs like Rodgers/Manning/Brady and Cutler (from a temper standpoint) is that the first group of guys yells at the teammate, regroups and goes back onto the field calm and focused. Cutler seems to hold on to that frustration, have the mindset of "F you all! I'm getting 14 points with this pass!" and fires a rocket into double coverage.

You don't think that sounds like Favre?

No not at all. Favre always fired into double coverage, took chances, it is part of what made him great and also caused a lot of interceptions. He didn't force the issue because he was frustrated. He may have tried to do to much to help his team win when his team was down, but not out of frustration, but out of wanting to win.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2012, 09:04:52 AM »
No not at all. Favre always fired into double coverage, took chances, it is part of what made him great and also caused a lot of interceptions. He didn't force the issue because he was frustrated. He may have tried to do to much to help his team win when his team was down, but not out of frustration, but out of wanting to win.

Believe that if you so choose.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2012, 09:34:14 AM »
I think Culter is a good player, but at this point, he is probably more like Jeff George than Brett Favre.

They are all moody, strong willed, strong armed QB's.

The difference is that Favre was operating on an uber-elite level for a good portion of his career. The other guys, not so much.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2012, 09:54:47 AM »
I think Culter is a good player, but at this point, he is probably more like Jeff George than Brett Favre.

They are all moody, strong willed, strong armed QB's.

The difference is that Favre was operating on an uber-elite level for a good portion of his career. The other guys, not so much.

As much as I don't want that to be true, the Cutler-George comparison seems pretty accurate. George had a significantly better career than most people give him credit for but he also let his head get in the way of his God-given talents.

For the record, I did not intend to compare Cutler with Favre as an overall QB. I was simply responding to a post that compared Cutler with Favre in terms of their frustrations and trying to "get it all back" with one throw. Maybe it's immaturity or maybe it's an impassioned desire to win but whatever the case, all 3 QBs mentioned above have/had a tendency to make horrible decisions with the football from time to time.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »
As much as I don't want that to be true, the Cutler-George comparison seems pretty accurate. George had a significantly better career than most people give him credit for but he also let his head get in the way of his God-given talents.

For the record, I did not intend to compare Cutler with Favre as an overall QB. I was simply responding to a post that compared Cutler with Favre in terms of their frustrations and trying to "get it all back" with one throw. Maybe it's immaturity or maybe it's an impassioned desire to win but whatever the case, all 3 QBs mentioned above have/had a tendency to make horrible decisions with the football from time to time.

Their are some similarities, no doubt.

Guys seemed to like Brett better (especially early in his career), but that might be because he was so good. Hard to hate a guy when he is winning MVPs. Plus, Brett's desire to win was infectious. He could rally guys around him. I don't know if Jay has that. Maybe he does. I don't know.

Cutler would be infinitely more "likable" if he wins... but for whatever reason, he has some AJ Pierzinski in him. He's hard to like unless you are winning a lot of games, and even then, you don't want your locker next to him.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »
Their are some similarities, no doubt.

Guys seemed to like Brett better (especially early in his career), but that might be because he was so good. Hard to hate a guy when he is winning MVPs. Plus, Brett's desire to win was infectious. He could rally guys around him. I don't know if Jay has that. Maybe he does. I don't know.

Cutler would be infinitely more "likable" if he wins... but for whatever reason, he has some AJ Pierzinski in him. He's hard to like unless you are winning a lot of games, and even then, you don't want your locker next to him.

I feel like I just had an intervention and realized that my favorite team's franchise QB is a mix of Jeff George, AJ Pierzynski and Brett Favre (NY Jets version). I need to go lay down.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
I feel like I just had an intervention and realized that my favorite team's franchise QB is a mix of Jeff George, AJ Pierzynski and Brett Favre (NY Jets version). I need to go lay down.

Take 2 superbowl wins and call me in 5 years.

You'll feel fine.

Winning cures everything. McMahon was an a-hole, but everybody loves him because he won.

Cutler's body language, facial expressions and general demeanor are off putting. But, if/when he wins, it will be seen as competitiveness and toughness. When he loses, it will be seen as selfishness and being conceited.

You have to love sports hyperbole, especially in football.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
Take 2 superbowl wins and call me in 5 years.

You'll feel fine.

Winning cures everything. McMahon was an a-hole, but everybody loves him because he won.

Cutler's body language, facial expressions and general demeanor are off putting. But, if/when he wins, it will be seen as competitiveness and toughness. When he loses, it will be seen as selfishness and being conceited.

You have to love sports hyperbole, especially in football.

This is a good point.  Especially the last point.  When Favre was winning, it was his child-like love for the game and when he was losing he was reckless and irrational with the ball.

The difference I see with George and Cutler is that George was an pretty boy to everyone.  Short of bitching at offensive linemen, he's well-liked and protected in the media by his teammates.  Most people that rip on Cutler as an pretty boy or as douchebag have no real examples short of him pouting or bringing up the tired "he's a quitter" argument.  Jeff George flipped off his own fans and publicly got into it with his coach.

Do I wish Cutler was friendlier with the media?  Yeah, it would save alot of unnecessary talking points and negative attention towards the Bears, merited or not.  But do I think none of this would be an issue if they had won on Thursday night?  Absolutely.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »
Believe that if you so choose.

The difference is that Favre would pop as many pain-killers as possible to get back on the field in his prime. I don't blame Cutler for not playing in the NFC game because his knee injury was to a degree where it wasn't playable. That said, Favre would've played when he shouldn't have instead of pouting on the sideline. He is also at a total different level skill wise. His arm strength allowed him to complete a lot more passes in tight coverage. He won 3 MVPs for a reason.

It's like comparing a young race car driver who gets in a lot of crashes to Dale Sr while completely ignoring the obvious skill difference and the many reasons that made them a God in their sport.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »

Just curious but say the Bears win the Super Bowl with a healthy Forte and strong defense, would people think Cutler changed or was a team leader? Personally, I would say he was a product of a great team but then again he would have a ring.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »
Just curious but say the Bears win the Super Bowl with a healthy Forte and strong defense, would people think Cutler changed or was a team leader? Personally, I would say he was a product of a great team but then again he would have a ring.

If the Bears win a super bowl with Jay, there will be local/national stories about his maturation as a QB and as a person.

That's just the way it works.