[Today at 02:39:49 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Zog from Margo
[Today at 12:33:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

NM by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194912 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2012, 09:44:16 AM »
Rodgers won a Super Bowl so he gets a pass.

If GB lost the SB to Pittsburgh (or sooner in the Playoffs) and then followed it up with a 15-1 season and one-and-done in the playoffs, he'd be in the Romo/Cutler category of QBs who can't get it done when it matters most.

But thats the point isn't it. If my aunt had nads she would be my uncle. Rodgers did win the super bowl partly because of his play and leadership, Romo/Cutler didn't. If joe Montana didn't win four Super bowls he wouldn't be considered one of the greatest QBs ever, the point is he did and he is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2012, 09:46:21 AM »
The replacement refs suck. Prolonged the game 30 extra minutes reviewing, trying to explain, and discussing basic plays on both sides. Love that McCarthy told them to play on during that last Bears' play where there was a pick/fourth down review.  

My favorite point was when the ref was explaining a penalty...started to lose his thought...and then simply stopped talking mid-sentence and moved on.

I'll say this.  They were bad.  But at least they are equally bad.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »

My favorite point was when the ref was explaining a penalty...started to lose his thought...and then simply stopped talking mid-sentence and moved on.

I caught that too, and I started laughing.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »

"Five yard penalty. First down! (pause) No, not first down. It's..." (turns off mic, walks away)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »
But thats the point isn't it. If my aunt had nads she would be my uncle. Rodgers did win the super bowl partly because of his play and leadership, Romo/Cutler didn't. If joe Montana didn't win four Super bowls he wouldn't be considered one of the greatest QBs ever, the point is he did and he is.

My point is that if you win a championship, when you yell and scream and carry on, people call it leadership. If you don't win a championship, when you yell and scream and carry on and people call you a poor leader.

How do you think was a better leader: Dan Marino or Brad Johnson? Dan Fouts or Trent Dilfer?

Winning cures all.

ADDITION: For the record, I do NOT think that Cutler is a great leader but I also don't think he's as unlikable a guy as he can be portrayed. In all honesty, I think he's an extreme introvert with very poor emotional intelligence.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:00:50 AM by MerrittsMustache »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2012, 09:54:31 AM »
My point is that if you win a championship, when you yell and scream and carry on, people call it leadership. If you don't win a championship, when you yell and scream and carry on and people call you a poor leader.

A supportive article on your POV.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8377155/we-seem-keep-redefining-jay-cutler-every-four-quarters

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »

But what does that prove?  Rodgers is the best QB in the league.  I have no problem admitting that.  Just because he's not Rodgers doesn't mean he's a terrible leader and he can't do some of the same things Rodgers does to motivate his team.

It proves that if you took away the point of view based on the allegiance of the teams, then Rodgers would be considered the better leader and (less whiney I might add). i never said anything about best QB in the league, you did. I never made the jump that cutler is less of a leader because he is not as good of a quarterback.

Blackheart said it best, Cutlers sits down to Pee, says it all.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2012, 10:02:07 AM »

How do you think was a better leader: Dan Marino or Brad Johnson? Dan Fouts or Trent Dilfer?

Winning cures all.

Maybe, you don't watch enough Packer games to know, but Rodgers rarely yells and screams and carrys on, he is one of the most composed qbs in the league. Cutler on the other hand...

But, yes I get the point

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
Really?  Teem: to swarm, as in the way the Packers defense played yesterday.

LOL, it's now been corrected to T-E-A-M

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2012, 10:36:06 AM »
LOL, it's now been corrected to T-E-A-M

JSOnline sent out a tweet saying that it was a play on words, but apparently since most people didn't get it, they changed it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
Maybe, you don't watch enough Packer games to know, but Rodgers rarely yells and screams and carrys on, he is one of the most composed qbs in the league. Cutler on the other hand...

But, yes I get the point

This is anti-Rodgers or anything, but Rodgers is known throughout the league to yell/scream at teammates quite frequently.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
This is anti-Rodgers or anything, but Rodgers is known throughout the league to yell/scream at teammates quite frequently.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are also known to show leadership via screaming at teammates.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2012, 11:01:39 AM »

By who?

I've watched every minute the guy has played in the NFL, very rarely does he chew a guy out like last night.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2012, 11:03:19 AM »

Yeah, but in the showers... not on the field.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »

Are you part of the league? Do you have documentation that says that? Not being an ass, I am legitimately asking.  I have never heard that he is known "throughout the league" as yelling/sceraming at his players. Did he do it last night, yes, has he done it in the past, yes but I wouldn't consider him as "known throughout the league" as a screamer.

I watch every packer game, and I rarely see him screaming at his players especially not offensive line men.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2012, 11:19:05 AM »
Are you part of the league? Do you have documentation that says that? Not being an ass, I am legitimately asking.  I have never heard that he is known "throughout the league" as yelling/sceraming at his players. Did he do it last night, yes, has he done it in the past, yes but I wouldn't consider him as "known throughout the league" as a screamer.

I watch every packer game, and I rarely see him screaming at his players especially not offensive line men.

I've worked in the league, know people in the league. I'm about 10 years removed though, but still have some contacts who have decent info.

It's not anti-Rodgers by any means. Does he do it to the degree (and publicly) that Cutler does it? No. Does he do it? Yeah, probably more often than is publicized. Sometimes with Rodgers it's not so much as yelling/screaming as it is a look he gives teammates. It doesn't mean he's a bad guy/teammate (he's not). Brady/Manning are known for doing it as well, it's not a negative as it is for Cutler, and you don't see Cutler smile/laughing as much, it's not just his demeanor.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »
By who?

I've watched every minute the guy has played in the NFL, very rarely does he chew a guy out like last night.

This is what I am saying. I rarely see it nor have i heard people say that before

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
I've worked in the league, know people in the league. I'm about 10 years removed though, but still have some contacts who have decent info.

It's not anti-Rodgers by any means. Does he do it to the degree (and publicly) that Cutler does it? No. Does he do it? Yeah, probably more often than is publicized. Sometimes with Rodgers it's not so much as yelling/screaming as it is a look he gives teammates. It doesn't mean he's a bad guy/teammate (he's not). Brady/Manning are known for doing it as well, it's not a negative as it is for Cutler, and you don't see Cutler smile/laughing as much, it's not just his demeanor.

I have heard that he (rodgers) is crazy competitive, so maybe that is part of what people mean by that. I have seen the look you are talking about.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »
Rodgers did exhibit poor body language/looks more so than screaming earlier in his starting career but in the last few years I really haven't seen that

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »

Dish is right, part of Rodgers brilliance is his media savvy.  Rodgers' gets in teammates faces just as much as Cutler but Rodgers also doesn't put a puss on, on the sideline, plus he does little things like the photobombs that media idiots types find endearing.  Don't get me wrong I think Cutler is a big harry wet cat, but the lazy media and Packer fans way overblow it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »
I have heard that he (rodgers) is crazy competitive, so maybe that is part of what people mean by that. I have seen the look you are talking about.

He's the best QB in football, he runs such a precise offense, it's almost a machine. Last night I don't blame Rodgers for yelling at Jones, it was a terrible decision by Jones on stopping his route, that INT can't be on Rodgers. When you're as good and competitive as Rodgers (or Brady, etc.), you're going to get frustrated at times.

QB is the most interesting position in sports. As physically great as one can be, you still rely on 10 other moving pieces/parts to flow in rhythm as one. Some of the throws last night by both Rodgers and Cutler were remarkable if you think about it. Finley had a dead on the money throw go through his hands, Jones had arguably a tough catch to make in the end zone, probably should have had it, Cutler had a split second to perfectly hit Marshall in the end zone away from the safety, and he did, none of them were caught though. Cutler's just a pissy guy, he just is. Even if he wasn't an NFL QB, he'd be a pissy guy. It gets magnified when he's not playing well, and he takes out his mistakes on others (not saying it's right). Rodgers by all accounts is a great guy, markets himself well off the field, plays his tail off, and wins.

FWIW, it's not shocking to me that Cutler went after Webb. From what I've heard about Webb off the field, he's not exactly putting time/effort in to things.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
He's the best QB in football, he runs such a precise offense, it's almost a machine. Last night I don't blame Rodgers for yelling at Jones, it was a terrible decision by Jones on stopping his route, that INT can't be on Rodgers. When you're as good and competitive as Rodgers (or Brady, etc.), you're going to get frustrated at times.

QB is the most interesting position in sports. As physically great as one can be, you still rely on 10 other moving pieces/parts to flow in rhythm as one. Some of the throws last night by both Rodgers and Cutler were remarkable if you think about it. Finley had a dead on the money throw go through his hands, Jones had arguably a tough catch to make in the end zone, probably should have had it, Cutler had a split second to perfectly hit Marshall in the end zone away from the safety, and he did, none of them were caught though. Cutler's just a pissy guy, he just is. Even if he wasn't an NFL QB, he'd be a pissy guy. It gets magnified when he's not playing well, and he takes out his mistakes on others (not saying it's right). Rodgers by all accounts is a great guy, markets himself well off the field, plays his tail off, and wins.

FWIW, it's not shocking to me that Cutler went after Webb. From what I've heard about Webb off the field, he's not exactly putting time/effort in to things.

The major difference between QBs like Rodgers/Manning/Brady and Cutler (from a temper standpoint) is that the first group of guys yells at the teammate, regroups and goes back onto the field calm and focused. Cutler seems to hold on to that frustration, have the mindset of "F you all! I'm getting 14 points with this pass!" and fires a rocket into double coverage. It may be a matter of maturity or overconfidence or just personality type, but until Cutler is able to calm down and get his mindset right, he's going to continue to have ugly games like he did last night.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »

Yeah, I don't think that Webb gets it. No matter the team, offensive linemen have a strict code in how they deal with the media, promote themselves, etc. Webb seems to think he's special.

Just makes you think with how poorly Webb performed, how bad is Chris Williams? The fact that Williams can't beat out Webb is frankly pitiful and sad. In my mind, maybe the top example of why Jerry Angelo needed to go.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2012, 02:58:46 PM »
The major difference between QBs like Rodgers/Manning/Brady and Cutler (from a temper standpoint) is that the first group of guys yells at the teammate, regroups and goes back onto the field calm and focused. Cutler seems to hold on to that frustration, have the mindset of "F you all! I'm getting 14 points with this pass!" and fires a rocket into double coverage. It may be a matter of maturity or overconfidence or just personality type, but until Cutler is able to calm down and get his mindset right, he's going to continue to have ugly games like he did last night.

You nailed it.  I would compare him to Carlos Zambrano.

They both need to have shorter memories because they are both so close to being great.