Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Question: Insider information vs. speculation  (Read 9312 times)

Da 'Lanche

• All American
Question: Insider information vs. speculation
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »
Has anyone on this board actually talked to Buzz Williams, Larry Williams, Fr. P., or anyone close as a cousin to the athletic department or men's bb program?   I'm not trying to call out or disparage anyone but, for the love of Fr. Donnelly, this board has become one of pure speculation and oneupsmanship on who thinks they know what in regards to the thoughts, actions, and bowel movements of those involved.   Even having "insider sources" may mean that said "insider sources" are speculative on the observant behaviors, language, press quips and even others' perceptions of many other things.    So, without getting into a game of who knows who or who thinks they know who.......who posting on this board is really even close enough to any player to spew out statements as if they were facts.   I say this knowing a D-1 coach in division 1 fairly well (It is not a powerhouse nor even bb driven school in the former Big 12) who tells me that most if not all things in his program are truly behind the scenes.

So, before we continue to play Sigmund Freud on every aspect of our program and university players.....does anyone really "know" anything beyond connecting dots between lines drawen in crayon by a retarded rabbit?

And, I'm not a self-righteous nut job....just joined this board to chat MU hoops, not read endless speculation on the new world order of a golden domer and finding myself increasingly conflicted with the threads found within.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Question: Insider information vs. speculation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
This is an anonymous message board ... you get what you pay for around here. 

Seriously, you're new so you need to learn the art of reading the stuff here.  You cannot take it literally.  You have to learn who is saying and how they are saying it mattes as much, if not more, than what is being said.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »
Endless speculation is what MUScoop does best.

And I occasionally am guilty as charged.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:43:11 AM »
You know how when a celebrity is on twitter there is a check mark next to the name to let people know that the account actually is that celebrity, it would be cool if somehow that was incorporated to scoop for people we can actually trust and listen to.

Maybe have a little symbol next to someone's handle that idetifies that the dude knows what the hell he is talking about.
Bring back FFP!!!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:46:10 AM »
You know how when a celebrity is on twitter there is a check mark next to the name to let people know that the account actually is that celebrity, it would be cool if somehow that was incorporated to scoop for people we can actually trust and listen to.

Maybe have a little symbol next to someone's handle that idetifies that the dude knows what the hell he is talking about.

This system is already in place. If there's a picture of Scott Merritt under the username, he's a respectable source. Otherwise, it's all of bunch of garbage.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
This system is already in place. If there's a picture of Scott Merritt under the username, he's a respectable source. Otherwise, it's all of bunch of garbage.

Cool.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »

<------- Would a guy who looks like this lie to you?

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
A lot of useful information and colorful insight has come from Freeway...just sayin'.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
There is but one being who knows the truth:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7enjABApKWE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7enjABApKWE</a>
Relax. Respect the Process.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 03:44:53 PM »
Just because most of my sources come from overseas...I mean...who are you to criticize?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 11:52:38 PM »
I think one of the problems here is the perceived credibility of the so-called insiders and their sources. MUScoop is merely a clearinghouse for things we hear from different places. Sadly, the true insiders (or as close as we're going to get) don't come around as much as they used to, so when spew is spewed, no one calls shenanigans and puts a stop to it.  This allows the crazies to flat out lie, fabricate, and yes, blow things out of proportion.  But what really feeds the fire are those people who have connections to the AD or BB program and toss out sound bites (rumblings that lack context) from time to time.  These individuals seem to have a better track record than others when it comes to laying out (or predicting) the truth, but that doesn't mean we're hearing the whole story when they speak. But because we put stock in what they say, it ends up opening the floor to wild speculation, rumors, conspiracy theories, etc.

There's a difference between speculating, and purporting speculation as fact. There are people who are guilty of the latter, and there are people guilty of not recognizing the former. Put them together, and you've got the best damb online forum dedicated to MU hoops there is.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 09:34:49 AM »
I think one of the problems here is the perceived credibility of the so-called insiders and their sources. MUScoop is merely a clearinghouse for things we hear from different places. Sadly, the true insiders (or as close as we're going to get) don't come around as much as they used to, so when spew is spewed, no one calls shenanigans and puts a stop to it.  This allows the crazies to flat out lie, fabricate, and yes, blow things out of proportion.  But what really feeds the fire are those people who have connections to the AD or BB program and toss out sound bites (rumblings that lack context) from time to time.  These individuals seem to have a better track record than others when it comes to laying out (or predicting) the truth, but that doesn't mean we're hearing the whole story when they speak. But because we put stock in what they say, it ends up opening the floor to wild speculation, rumors, conspiracy theories, etc.

There's a difference between speculating, and purporting speculation as fact. There are people who are guilty of the latter, and there are people guilty of not recognizing the former. Put them together, and you've got the best damb online forum dedicated to MU hoops there is.

Is that a picture of Scott Merritt under your username?  Because I really want to believe you.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »
BigDaddy seems to be the only credible source... 

I suggested at one point during Hiroshima summer to change the name of the board to "Endless Rumors and Speculation by people with "Sources"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »
I get my insider info from Mr. Tom Enlund.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
I get my insider info from Mr. Tom Enlund.

So my guess is that you will soon be reporting that Hank Raymonds is going to take over for Al McGuire?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 10:10:49 AM »
Where is BigDaddy? I have not seen a post from him in ages.

JD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 10:18:44 AM »
Well i know a sister of a brother of a UNC player.... does that help?

Occasionally Otule' and myself will  have the 2am facebook chats..

Recently found out my ex was chumming around with Jae Crowder because her friend is or was dating DJO

That's about as much insider as i got.. hope that will suffice.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »

Scoop's essence perfectly captured.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 10:23:27 AM »
Well i know a sister of a brother of a UNC player.... does that help?

Occasionally Otule' and myself will  have the 2am facebook chats..

Recently found out my ex was chumming around with Jae Crowder because her friend is or was dating DJO

That's about as much insider as i got.. hope that will suffice.

Is your ex friends with my cousin who is or was dating DJO?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »
Is your ex friends with my cousin who is or was dating DJO?

Probably, does that make us related?  :) 

Don't want to name drop in here anymore or post any pics, but her name is Monica H.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

The Process

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 10:36:53 AM »
I think it's time to start a listing of all the various dating rumors that have come up this summer.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
Probably, does that make us related?  :) 

Don't want to name drop in here anymore or post any pics, but her name is Monica H.

I hear Monica's the most friendly intern in the athletic department.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 10:46:27 AM »
Probably, does that make us related?  :)  

It makes us something, but I'm not entirely clear what.

Might need this guy to clarify
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:48:47 AM by mu03eng »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JD

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 10:59:50 AM »
I hear Monica's the most friendly intern in the athletic department.

Wouldn't surprise me..#I'mnotbitter

Well done mu03 (Thumbs high)

AL

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »
Triangulation of multiple rumors into facts is an art perfected by many scoop members.