Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2014 Center  (Read 10193 times)

kmwtrucks

• All American
2014 Center
« on: July 30, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
Marquette has become the latest program to offer Class of 2014 star Sean O'Mara (Benet Academy) of IBA Select.

O'Mara, a 6'9 post, has picked up offers from Iowa State, Xavier, Loyola and LaSalle this month ahead of the Marquette offer.  UIC offered last year.

Dedrick Shannon of IBA Select confirmed the Marquette offer.

With Alexander and Okafer both being top 5 player's nationally this offer makes allot of sense.  I would say he should be a 50-100 type player which at this point is where I would focus our efforts.  

They have him rated 4th in the ILL class of 2014.  

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=717:updated-chicagohoopscom-top-class-of-2013-prospects&catid=55:news-archive

Bieberhole69

• Scholarship Player
Re: 2014 Center
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:13:08 PM »
Illinois just offered as well.  Looks like he'll probably start seeing some significant high major offers coming in the upcoming months.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
Tough out for the kid in the regional finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3q5L5ZKbFE

Highlights of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPtGt1r3jrw

They must see something in him. But he looked like a stationary flyswatter and awkward post player.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:12:36 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 05:19:01 PM »
Rhymes with... nutritional.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
Tough out for the kid in the regional finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3q5L5ZKbFE

They must see something in him. But he looked like a stationary flyswatter and awkward post player.

Got worked on defense and rebounding.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 06:13:57 PM »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »
Marquette has become the latest program to offer Class of 2014 star Sean O'Mara (Benet Academy) of IBA Select.

O'Mara, a 6'9 post, has picked up offers from Iowa State, Xavier, Loyola and LaSalle this month ahead of the Marquette offer.  UIC offered last year.

Dedrick Shannon of IBA Select confirmed the Marquette offer.

With Alexander and Okafer both being top 5 player's nationally this offer makes allot of sense.  I would say he should be a 50-100 type player which at this point is where I would focus our efforts.  

They have him rated 4th in the ILL class of 2014.  

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=717:updated-chicagohoopscom-top-class-of-2013-prospects&catid=55:news-archive

Number three is Paul White who MU is also very involved with.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:48:57 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:48:13 PM »

So you're saying definitely better than Chris Otule as a HS junior.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:08:06 PM »
looked like a lot of potential that needed some good coaching/development.  sure hard to tell much from the clips.

MUbaseball86

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 10:13:15 PM »
Sean lives in my town and it was 'fun' watching him two hand dunk in 7th grade against my son's short parochial school team and also having him crush a giant home run against him in 10 year old baseball.  He is huge standing next to him.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 10:44:46 PM »
I've seen him a bunch and he is very skilled big with good use of left and right hand.  Uses his body very well to establish position and is with a very good hs coach. My initial thought was he would be a high major and that he was much more athletic than I expected. Looking forward to seeing how much he has improved.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:53 AM »
I've seen him a bunch and he is very skilled big with good use of left and right hand.  Uses his body very well to establish position and is with a very good hs coach. My initial thought was he would be a high major and that he was much more athletic than I expected. Looking forward to seeing how much he has improved.

I appreciate the input as the video clips - and I know they're just clips - show otherwise. Illinois must see something in him as they also just offered Sean. I wonder if Chew already had him targeted for IL.

This junior (edited) year will be huge for coaches to reassess Sean and his skills. Offensively, I can see why he is being recruited, but defensively, he's got to improve greatly. The Big East is much more active and bruising, and he cannot get caught flat footed expecting to get high school rejections and rebounds. Because it ain't gonna happen!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:23:26 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »
He is going to be a Jr next year. 

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »
FYI:  O'Mara made the first team all tourney last year at the Proviso West Holiday tourney (again, as a soph).

Looking at the box score he had the following numbers against very good local talent including eventual winners Proviso East:

v. St. Joes:  24 pts, 8 boards, 2 blocks

v.  Proviso East:  20 pts, 13 boards, 4 assists, 2 blocks

v.  Hillcrest:  13 pts., 9 boards, 3 blocks

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »
Rhymes with... nutritional.

Honky?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »
Rhymes with donkey
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »
One of the things you have to keep in mind is at this age, talent is not always evident. Size differences play a huge role in the success at the high school level of individual players.

What I want to see as time moves forward is how a West Suburban kid plays when he mixes it up with CPS kids in holiday tournaments and in the IHSA championships. What concerns me is that when his competition is DuPage County high schools, his size alone makes him dominate. That's not going to happen in the Big East.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 11:52:32 AM »
One of the things you have to keep in mind is at this age, talent is not always evident. Size differences play a huge role in the success at the high school level of individual players.

What I want to see as time moves forward is how a West Suburban kid plays when he mixes it up with CPS kids in holiday tournaments and in the IHSA championships. What concerns me is that when his competition is DuPage County high schools, his size alone makes him dominate. That's not going to happen in the Big East.

Fullodds' post showed he did very well against Proviso East in the Proviso West Holiday Tournament which is considered Illinois' best holiday tournament, and Proviso East gave Simeon a scare in the state tournament.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »

July's evaluation period for most of these kids, this one included, has been up against elite competition. The majority of elite players are in aau and are in the top tournaments with the top coaches watching then day in and day out. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have offered if buzz didn't think he would stack up against other big east forwards down the road. Put some faith in our coaches. I'm pretty positive they have a good track record thus far when evaluating and developing talented players across the nation. I'm getting sick of so many people questioning every move or offer by our coaches and think they know better or could do the job better. It gets old really effing quick. Ok My rant is over. Adios.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 12:18:28 PM »
This senior year will be huge for coaches to reassess Sean and his skills. Offensively, I can see why he is being recruited, but defensively, he's got to improve greatly. The Big East is much more active and bruising, and he cannot get caught flat footed expecting to get high school rejections and rebounds. Because it ain't gonna happen!

He'll commit to a high major prior to his senior year. 

He was one of 3 players I saw at Mequon who I told a friend that Marquette should look at closely.   
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
He'll commit to a high major prior to his senior year. 

He was one of 3 players I saw at Mequon who I told a friend that Marquette should look at closely.   

OK, who were the other two?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »
July's evaluation period for most of these kids, this one included, has been up against elite competition. The majority of elite players are in aau and are in the top tournaments with the top coaches watching then day in and day out. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have offered if buzz didn't think he would stack up against other big east forwards down the road. Put some faith in our coaches. I'm pretty positive they have a good track record thus far when evaluating and developing talented players across the nation. I'm getting sick of so many people questioning every move or offer by our coaches and think they know better or could do the job better. It gets old really effing quick. Ok My rant is over. Adios.

I'm very pleased with our coaches as of late, thank you very much. I just am skeptical about suburban talent.

My old codger memory goes back to a guy named Steve Turner, who played for Vanderbilt in the 1970s. He was 7'5" and a vertical leap of 0.1". I remember Craig Butrym, probably a great guy but at 6'11" and from suburban Milwaukee, was no Jerome Whitehead.

I'm sure this Benet guy is a much stronger player and if he comes to Marquette, I'm trusting that Buzz has found a great kid. But playing against the likes of Naperville North, Downers Grove South, Lisle and Glenbard isn't quite the same as playing King, Simeon and the like on a day-in, day-out basis.

For the record, I try to stay upbeat and like a lot of what I see in the program. I'm of the belief that if Mayo is back and Vander improves this summer and if Otule fully recovers, we may have something special next year. Perhaps very special.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 08:21:50 AM »
Roseboro, Mbao, McMorrow, Jones, Williams and Durley are players Buzz signed that were not any good. At least Jones and Williams were ranked in top 100, which does not say much for rankings.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 08:55:17 AM »
I'm sure this Benet guy is a much stronger player and if he comes to Marquette, I'm trusting that Buzz has found a great kid. But playing against the likes of Naperville North, Downers Grove South, Lisle and Glenbard isn't quite the same as playing King, Simeon and the like on a day-in, day-out basis.

So, Illinois' answer to Ben Mills? 

Remember that Buzz once offered Kyle Kelm too....

feedback