Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Press Conf .. WOW!  (Read 11416 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Press Conf .. WOW!
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:15:54 PM »
It was about the soccer stadium.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:51:45 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Gwaki

• All American
Re: Press Conf .. WOW!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 03:18:25 PM »
That is all it was about....Lame

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:19:43 PM »
Had they done this ALONG with the $1MM pledge, it would have been at least semi-major.  At this point though, that's a pretty "blah" press conference.  *yawn*

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 03:20:04 PM »
Um .. no.

Unfortunately Hilltopper, you are incorrect. Calling a press conference for this had nothing to do with the soccer stadium or Marquette, for that matter.

A very nice gesture, but come on. Why does the media even need to know about it? I continue to be amazed.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
how many questions did the media ask?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 03:21:19 PM »
One? two?  what a joke.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »
I am with PRN, wholly in agreement.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 03:28:06 PM »
Um .. no.

Unfortunately Hilltopper, you are incorrect. Calling a press conference for this had nothing to do with the soccer stadium or Marquette, for that matter.

A very nice gesture, but come on. Why does the media even need to know about it? I continue to be amazed.
I assume you are referring to the news that Crean has ponied up $100k for the project.  Kudos to him, he's a fine, fine man.  Someday, PRN, you'll have a big poster of Crean in his bedroom, you just wait.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 03:30:48 PM »
You are killing me - I have been checking the jsonline all day
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 03:31:32 PM »
What is this Press Conference announcing?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 03:33:32 PM »
I wonder what the anonymous individual who recently contributed some staggering amount of money ($51 million?) thought of this press conference? Or the people who are basically PAYING FOR AN ENTIRELY NEW LAW SCHOOL!!

Just throwing that out there.

I reiterate, it's a wonderful gesture...more than I will ever give to MU. But can this guy do anything without a camera in his face?

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »
PRN -

It was no anonymous couple that donated $51 million.  If you are going to bash somebody at least get the facts straight when you do it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 03:38:38 PM »
What is this Press Conference announcing?

Are you serious?  It was about the Soccer Stadium - they're launching a $5MM funcraising campaign, the Klein's kicked it off with $1MM, and Crean threw in $100k.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 03:46:12 PM »
I wonder what Crean's father in law is being paid by MU?

tonyreeder

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 03:49:24 PM »
"But can this guy do anything without a camera in his face?"

Absolutely.  It's really getting to be annoying. Here's Tom Crean at a Brewer game talking to his buddy Ned Yost.   Here's Tom Crean as a reporter for Channel 4 news.

jtate15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 03:50:37 PM »
How about everyone on MU scoop pitch in 50 bucks and donate to the stadium, maybe we can get a press conference too  ;)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 03:58:29 PM »
I'm changing my initial eyebrow furrowing.

The Creans donated $100k of their cash to Marquette for another sport.  It shows committment and that's a good thing.

The only thing that screwed this up was "major" announcement, which I'll give the benefit of the doubt on, it was just PR speak.

So, step back, and take it for what it was: A very nice gesture from our coach who has stuck around 8 years, and looks to stay longer.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 04:02:36 PM »
Here's the official release from MU...

GoMarquette.com
MILWAUKEE - Marquette University's plan to build a new soccer stadium received a significant boost today from head basketball coach Tom Crean and his wife, Joani. Motivated by their admiration for the University and respect for the commitment and vision of the soccer program's head coaches, Louis Bennett and Markus Roeders, the Crean family has committed $100,000 to the campaign.

The Creans hope the gift will provide momentum to the fundraising efforts and serve as a catalyst for others to support the project.

"In years past we've tried to give back to the university, but this is our first gift to athletics," said Tom and Joani Crean. "Our athletics' programs have never been stronger and it's because they're led by quality people. Markus Roeders has proven over time that he is one of the finest coaches to ever represent Marquette University, and Louis Bennett is headed in the same direction with a promising future in men's soccer."

Crean said he will work to inform Marquette friends and supporters about the benefits of a first-class soccer facility, and will also encourage others to follow his family's lead.

The new stadium, to be constructed on the program's current home Valley Fields, will feature a top-quality natural-grass pitch, partially covered spectator seating, team locker and meeting rooms, concessions and restrooms. The cost of the new stadium, which will be funded through private gifts, will total approximately $5 million.

The Creans' $100,000 pledge is the Athletic Department's second in its campaign for a new soccer stadium. Earlier this month, KBS Construction, Inc. chairman Dennis Klein and his wife, Barbara, committed $1 million to officially launch the project. "I am delighted but in no way surprised by Tom and Joani's generosity and support of the soccer stadium project. This commitment by their family is simply another instance of the ownership they have had in this university and athletics program since that day more than eight years ago when they first stepped foot on campus. We are very fortunate to have Tom as Marquette's men's basketball coach but even more fortunate to have the Crean family as part of the Marquette family," said Interim Athletic Director Steve Cottingham.

"We are ecstatic and grateful that Tom and Joani have chosen to support our fundraising efforts to build a soccer stadium. Since they arrived at Marquette, they have always shown tremendous support for the University, athletics and the community. The Creans have always raised the bar when it comes to making things better and Tom's success with the basketball program has had a positive affect on all of our athletic teams," said Head Women's Soccer Coach Markus Roeders

Marquette University has made significant improvements to its soccer facilities in the last 12 months. Prior to last season, the university installed "Field Turf" at the practice facility adjacent to the playing field at Valley Fields. The new, state-of-the-art surface offers durability with the feel of real grass while eliminating the body burns associated with typical synthetic turf, but more importantly it allowed Marquette's soccer programs to practice on campus daily. Before this resource existed, the teams traveled up to 40 minutes one-way on a daily basis in order to practice.

"Knowing Tom just short time I have, but seeing his work ethic, drive, determination and dedication to Marquette's success both on and off the field I am honored that he would show the kind of support, vision and belief in the future of the soccer programs with such a gift. The donation is a powerful and generous statement that reflects the Creans' commitment to Marquette," said Head Men's Soccer Coach Louis Bennett.

At the time of the Klein's announcement, Cottingham said the practice facility and campaign for a new stadium are consistent with the University's mission of excellence and will position Marquette's soccer programs in an elevated status nationally. He said the goal is to complete the fundraising efforts by the end of the calendar year and begin construction after the final home soccer match this fall. The stadium is scheduled to open in September 2008.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 04:18:19 PM »
I wonder what the anonymous individual who recently contributed some staggering amount of money ($51 million?) thought of this press conference? Or the people who are basically PAYING FOR AN ENTIRELY NEW LAW SCHOOL!!

Just throwing that out there.

I reiterate, it's a wonderful gesture...more than I will ever give to MU. But can this guy do anything without a camera in his face?

If our biggest problem is that our coach is donating a large amount of money to another sports program... we are in great shape.

The presser might be a little bit of "hype", but I think they are using Coach Crean's name to promote donating to the stadium and donating to the stadium.

ALSO, as a fan, you have to like a coach that is donating large sums of money back to the school that employs him... it shows a commitment to the university.

My guess is that the presser was MU's idea (in order to promote donating to the soccer stadium), rather than Crean's idea to promote himself.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 04:27:43 PM »
He should be able to get some pretty good season tickets at the BC with the points he'll get from that $100K donation.

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »
there's alot of hens in this chicken koop! ::)

Virginia Warrior 77

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 04:42:13 PM »
I agree with Hilltopper.  It's PR to kick off a fundraiser for the soccer stadium.  It's June - basketball season is still 107 days + away.  Relax.  Enjoy the summer.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 04:45:15 PM »
Good call Navin.

Yeah, MU is using him, and vice versa. That's just the way it is these days. Considering hoops is the biggest (only) real high profile sport at MU, if Crean donates this quietly, nobody notices.

So to the Chicos out there, I see the criticism and possibly Crean's selfish side. On the other hand, MU knows that if they hold this presser, it gets their soccer program more coverage and it needs all the help it can get.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 04:56:58 PM »
Good call Navin.

Yeah, MU is using him, and vice versa. That's just the way it is these days. Considering hoops is the biggest (only) real high profile sport at MU, if Crean donates this quietly, nobody notices.

So to the Chicos out there, I see the criticism and possibly Crean's selfish side. On the other hand, MU knows that if they hold this presser, it gets their soccer program more coverage and it needs all the help it can get.

Wow ... this may be the first time in human history that a charitable donation of $100,000 has been greeted with the characterization of the donor as "selfish".

Some of you guys are just too funny.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 05:00:25 PM »
Good call Navin.

Wow ... this may be the first time in human history that a charitable donation of $100,000 has been greeted with the characterization of the donor as "selfish".

Some of you guys are just too funny.

I haven't seen anybody on this board say it isn't extremely generous. It's the motivation for holding a press conference that people have questioned.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 05:05:16 PM »
The problem with posts like PRN is that they assume this was all Crean's idea of self promotion.  That is what gets tiresome reading the drivel that spews from some keyboards.  I agree with what Pakuni said.

Anyone think (for some that appears to be an unused concept) that the University actually wanted the PR to use TC to promote the Soccer Complex and generate more donations?  No, that could not possbily meet the agenda's of some of the lemon suckers on this board.

This has been a very sad thread to read.

feedback