[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nunn Visiting  (Read 66544 times)

awilhelmscream

• Starter
Re: Nunn Visiting
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 10:55:53 AM »
Very well said. I don't know if Mayo will ever play in the league, but he definitely will get paid to play basketball. I believe he will play for Marquette in 2012-13. Beyond that, I consider anything we get from him to be gravy. Considering his age and pedigree, I don't expect him to play 4 years. That does not mean I think he will be drafted, but I do think he'll roll those dice before his 4 years are up.

I think this coming year is his last.  He's had rumored academic issues and he'll be looked to to produce a lot of the scoring this year along with Jamil especially early on in the season.  He'll have his chance to prove himself worthy of an NBAcontract this year and I think he shocks a number of people by working his way up to an NBA first rounder.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »
Well, count me as one of those who would be extremely surprised if Mayo is a first rounder.  Small for his position.  Not really the body of an NBA 2 guard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »
I believe that they are planning as if this upcoming year will be Vander's last year. He is high interest in NBA and will likely go that route following this year based on what I have heard.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »
I believe that they are planning as if this upcoming year will be Vander's last year. He is high interest in NBA and will likely go that route following this year based on what I have heard.
  Don't see it within that time frame.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 11:07:10 AM »

You're kidding right?  There isn't much (outside of his fastbreak throwdown @ MSG against Washington last year) that tells me Vander is NBA ready now...or in the future.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »
I love Mayo's game - think he can translate to a PG at the NBA level - doesn't need to be a 2 guard.  Personally, I felt Mayo showed as much NBA talent as Jamil Wilson last year.  JW has the body, yet, he seems fairly limited at this point off the bounce.  Both Todd and JW have a few things to work on to get to next level...but both definitely have potential to do so.

I can see Mayo leaving after this season to play pro ball somewhere.  Think JW would be best served to return for his senior year at MU...raise draft stock, and if he isn't having the academic issues Todd is rumored to be having...why not stick around?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »
You're kidding right?  There isn't much (outside of his fastbreak throwdown @ MSG against Washington last year) that tells me Vander is NBA ready now...or in the future.

Vander would be the "anti-Crowder," in that he has all of the measurables you want in a player on paper, yet his production THUS far has been pretty bleak.  I do believe that he could have a very nice senior season, but see no way he's NBA ready after this season.  He is young for his class, which gives him some benefit in the eyes of GM's, and as a result no reason to not stay at MU and get his body more physically ready for NBA ball...that said, still not sure I see him in the NBA.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »
Looks like we've identified the really good player that Buzz had alluded to last week.  This would make the 2013 class perfection.

When did he allude to this really good player? I must have missed the thread. Could you point it out to me?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »
We have had the Vander NBA debate many times and do not disagree that he is not ready at this point. However, just because we agree on his readiness does not mean others feel the same way. I heard from reliable source that he has high interest in testing the waters next spring.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:06 AM »
We have had the Vander NBA debate many times and do not disagree that he is not ready at this point. However, just because we agree on his readiness does not mean others feel the same way. I heard from reliable source that he has high interest in testing the waters next spring.
  I do too, but that means zilch.  Especially for me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »
All it takes is one breakout year by either Vander or Jamil and I can see both at least testing the waters.  However, IMO it will take a clear leap to get to that next level.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 11:47:23 AM »
Testing the waters is one thing.....declaring and going undrafted is another.

As of right now we have nobody on the roster that is a sure fire NBA player. Time will tell if any of them develope into one.

DJO needed a year of JC and 3 years at MU to turn himself into a 2nd rounder. Vander and Mayo have a long way to go to match the production that DJO had as a senior.

Why not revisit this discussion after one of them has a big year and impresses the scouts? As of now there really is no discusssion....neither one of them is close to an NBA player as of today.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »

Vander leaving early for the NBA??? You must be joking. Until he learn to hit a jumper or finish at the hoop, it will never happen. Sorry, but he is a complete liability on offense. That must change for him to ever sniff the NBA.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »
MuMark
Only mentioned in the context of why we might be "over recruiting". If Vander has given indication he may be done in a year it is solid reason to sign additional guy.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Why, whenever we have a player who's just pretty good or shown some promise, do we immediately jump to "he'll probably leave early for the NBA"?

No Marquette player since Dwyane F'ing Wade has left early (and who before him?)! So pardon my doubt, but it is comical to start assuming any player on this roster is leaving early.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
Why, whenever we have a player who's just pretty good or shown some promise, do we immediately jump to "he'll probably leave early for the NBA"?

No Marquette player since Dwyane F'ing Wade has left early (and who before him?)! So pardon my doubt, but it is comical to start assuming any player on this roster is leaving early.

Yea, but I read on the internet that we should expect 1 early entrant PER YEAR moving forward.

Love the interwebs.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »
Testing the waters is one thing.....declaring and going undrafted is another.

As of right now we have nobody on the roster that is a sure fire NBA player. Time will tell if any of them develope into one.

DJO needed a year of JC and 3 years at MU to turn himself into a 2nd rounder. Vander and Mayo have a long way to go to match the production that DJO had as a senior.

Why not revisit this discussion after one of them has a big year and impresses the scouts? As of now there really is no discusssion....neither one of them is close to an NBA player as of today.

Agree, except to point out that guys who have all of the "measureables" going against them (DJO, Crowder, etc) need better production over a longer period of time for NBA scouts to take notice. Given his size, speed, quickness, etc Vander won't need  DJO's numbers to turn the scouts' heads. A marked improvement in his outside shot and finishing ability (he already gets to the rim at will) would mean first round IMO.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »
Agree, except to point out that guys who have all of the "measureables" going against them (DJO, Crowder, etc) need better production over a longer period of time for NBA scouts to take notice. Given his size, speed, quickness, etc Vander won't need  DJO's numbers to turn the scouts' heads. A marked improvement in his outside shot and finishing ability (he already gets to the rim at will) would mean first round IMO.

Good point

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »
Both of them have a way to go before they are drafted for the league.
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them get there, because it would be great for MU ball, but right now it seems like a reach.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 01:19:20 PM »
Anxious to learn how Nunn's visit went.  He will make a great Warrior!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »
All it takes is one breakout year by either Vander or Jamil and I can see both at least testing the waters.  However, IMO it will take a clear leap to get to that next level.
I could be worng, but I do not think you can test the waters anymore. Prior to this year you could comeback, if you did not hire an agent and withdrew your name by a certain date. I thought the new agreement was that if you declare you cannot change your mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
Then he must be planning on having a breakout year.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
I could be worng, but I do not think you can test the waters anymore. Prior to this year you could comeback, if you did not hire an agent and withdrew your name by a certain date. I thought the new agreement was that if you declare you cannot change your mind.

I think this is what you're referring to.  They can still do it, but have significantly less time to evaluate their prospects.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6444510

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »
Anxious to learn how Nunn's visit went.  He will make a great Warrior!

Same here! To bad this thread devolved into something other than the subject.  Adding Nunn as a guard switchable to a class with Wilson at point guard, Burton as a bigger switchable, and McKay as a big would be incredible!

Tigidal

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »

Vander leaving early for the NBA??? You must be joking. Until he learn to hit a jumper or finish at the hoop, it will never happen. Sorry, but he is a complete liability on offense. That must change for him to ever sniff the NBA.

+1...  Having the intangibles and actually producing are unfortunately distinctly separated.

feedback