Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Coaches Corner: Buzz Williams  (Read 15376 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: ESPN Coaches Corner: Buzz Williams
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
Watch yourself, PJ...

As long as he walks fast you'll never catch him on those legs.  He won't even have to break into a jog......
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »
Well, let's be real here.  There is no parade that CAN'T be rained on, and no set of quotes from Buzz that can't be parsed to the point of being crushed into a fine powder and snorted, giving the user an intense period of melancholy. 

Apparently now folks are parsing what he DOESN'T say.  PROGRESS? 

Mayo is listed on the roster, here:  http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/marq-m-baskbl-mtt.html

And he is back on campus, posted here:  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=32554.msg393703#msg393703

FACTS!

I am not trying to push the theory that Todd may be leaving the program but the fact that he is on campus (most likely taking summer school classes) does not mean anything.  In fact it could mean that he needs to boost his GPA before Buzz gives him a full release because I know that if players leave with a bad GPA it can hurt the program in terms of graduation numbers needed to sustain your full amount of scholarships.

There was a player I helped out that was in this exact situation when I was in school at MU...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »

FACT:  Mayo missed team activities between the end of the basketball season and the end of the semester because he was working on maintaining his academic eligibility.  This was told to me by someone close to the program and verified by others...including other Scoopers.

Here's another FACT: Those who've been verbally abused by madtown, Chicaloop, Pakuni, etc., do NOT have an emotional investment in anything negative happening to Marquette University or its basketball program. Nobody wants Todd Mayo to not make it. Everybody wants harmony between the administration and the coaching staff. The "emotional" ones are those who childishly namecall anyone who shares information they'd rather not hear.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
Here's another FACT: Those who've been verbally abused by madtown, Chicaloop, Pakuni, etc., do NOT have an emotional investment in anything negative happening to Marquette University or its basketball program. Nobody wants Todd Mayo to not make it. Everybody wants harmony between the administration and the coaching staff. The "emotional" ones are those who childishly namecall anyone who shares information they'd rather not hear.

C'mon, Lenny, that's not exactly true.

Sultan has reported stuff people don't want to hear, and I don't recall him being continually admonished.

There is a way to present information without fear of being call a conspiracy nut.

Some of the tinfoil stuff is stupid, some of it is deserved. We had a 100+ page thread when Buzz TALKED to SMU. We were all wearing tinfoil that day, my friend.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
I am pretty sure I was the one who said Mayo was back at campus. He was back at campus a couple of weeks ago, but I don't think that means anything. Hell he could have been here packing up his stuff, and even if he is in summer classes that could be what was already mentioned with the GPA situation. I have seen three players walking into the Al on a consistent basis so far this summer. Ox at about 7 am a couple of days a week, Vander, and Juan. We are not going to know until a random Friday during the summer at 3:55 PM.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »

Verbally abused? Really? Verbally abused?
Good Lord.
Please find one instance in this hullabaloo where I've called someone a name, much less "verbally abused" them.

p.s. There's a big difference between suggesting someone is "emotionally invested" in something and calling that person "emotional." But I suspect you already know that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 02:38:53 PM »
C'mon, Lenny, that's not exactly true.

Sultan has reported stuff people don't want to hear, and I don't recall him being continually admonished.

There is a way to present information without fear of being call a conspiracy nut.

Some of the tinfoil stuff is stupid, some of it is deserved. We had a 100+ page thread when Buzz TALKED to SMU. We were all wearing tinfoil that day, my friend.

If one believes that Scott Pilarz was hired by the BOT to oversee the demise of the basketball program and that he brought in Larry Williams to help him accomplish that you can rightly be labeled a conspiracy nut and a tinfoil hatter. I don't think anyone has suggested that. I think that people are concerned about what the fallout will be and should be from some of our players' off court problems. Further, people are concerned about the administration's relationship with Buzz. These concerns were exacerbated by things that people heard and read. To some, sharing those concerns amounts to being a tin foiler. I think that's unfair and inaccurate.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »
This is getting pretty silly.   Every time something good happens it's going to be "see there were no problems".   Then something bad happens, "guess we were reading the tea leaves right"...... and on and on.......  all to be right for the illustrious internet rep.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
If one believes that Scott Pilarz was hired by the BOT to oversee the demise of the basketball program and that he brought in Larry Williams to help him accomplish that you can rightly be labeled a conspiracy nut and a tinfoil hatter. I don't think anyone has suggested that. I think that people are concerned about what the fallout will be and should be from some of our players' off court problems. Further, people are concerned about the administration's relationship with Buzz. These concerns were exacerbated by things that people heard and read. To some, sharing those concerns amounts to being a tin foiler. I think that's unfair and inaccurate.

You're right, but I think the problem was that a lot of what people were reading and eventually taking as "fact" were speculative statements made by posters going off the little information that we all know. 

EXAMPLES:
- It has been repeated several times that larry is a "football guy", when there isn't any proof of that in his professional AD career.

- Some people think Larry and Buzz don't get along, and use the newspaper quotes as "evidence". We don't really know if those quotes were an issue for them or not.

- Something about the "ND way" was repeated on several occasions, and seemed to make people more paranoid.

- The radio interview Buzz gave at 540ESPN was seen as some sort of veiled communication directed towards MU admin, esp. when talking about JUCO players.

Etc. etc.

Some of the tinfoil stuff has gone overboard. Some of it was earned, IMHO.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »
This is getting pretty silly.   Every time something good happens it's going to be "see there were no problems".   Then something bad happens, "guess we were reading the tea leaves right"...... and on and on.......  all to be right for the illustrious internet rep.

What's really silly is that once again another thread, this one an ESPN Article on Buzz, has turned into the same old tired, bullcrap arguments.  There are dozens more like this.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »

Bingo.

Truth is, we don't know sh*t, and we shouldn't be afraid to admit that.

Speculation is fun (its a message board), but let's not try so hard to solve the mystery of MU hoops.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
As long as he walks fast you'll never catch him on those legs.  He won't even have to break into a jog......

I'll have Laz or Newman or Foley chase him down.  Then I'll sit on him.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 03:08:13 PM »
1)Buzz has always demanded allot of his Player's in regard to class.  They had to run Killer's a few years back after Acker missed a class in April right befor he graduated.  

2)We just landed the Top JUCO in the country, we must be able to recruit them.

3)in the interview buzzed praised the UNIV and the Admin for making it possible to keep his staff intact.

4)We just hired Chew for a ton of money, which LW and the Pres had to be on board with.

5)Broeker has been and still is in charge of the BBALL team and Scheduling, The fact that he was the one talking with Buzz about the OSU game makes complete sense.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 03:08:29 PM »
LLRj - thank you for your work on the Wounded Warrior Project" - awe inspiring.

I saw Steve on campus Saturday. I thought he was CO. He is taller and bulkier than I expected. Still sportin' the Simeon wear.

Buzz's voice concerns me. I think his coaching career will end someday because of permanent damage to his voice - not for lack of happiness.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »
Verbally abused? Really? Verbally abused?
Good Lord.
Please find one instance in this hullabaloo where I've called someone a name, much less "verbally abused" them.

p.s. There's a big difference between suggesting someone is "emotionally invested" in something and calling that person "emotional." But I suspect you already know that.

Verbal abuse may have been a poor choice of words, but suggesting that people are nutty or paranoid certainly isn't a compliment. The worst to me, thogh, is suggesting that people are so "emotionally invested" that they prefer bad outcomes for MU if it means their opinions are vindicated. That's not me, and I doubt it's any other Marquette fan.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »
Verbal abuse may have been a poor choice of words, but suggesting that people are nutty or paranoid certainly isn't a compliment. The worst to me, thogh, is suggesting that people are so "emotionally invested" that they prefer bad outcomes for MU if it means their opinions are vindicated. That's not me, and I doubt it's any other Marquette fan.

That would be bad.
Of course, I never said or suggested anyone would prefer bad outcomes to vindicate their positions.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »
That would be bad.
Of course, I never said or suggested anyone would prefer bad outcomes to vindicate their positions.

In that case I apologize for misinterpreting your post.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 10:42:41 PM »

FACT:  Mayo missed team activities between the end of the basketball season and the end of the semester because he was working on maintaining his academic eligibility.  This was told to me by someone close to the program and verified by others...including other Scoopers.

Be careful, dude!  Stating facts is what got you in trouble over at MarquetteHoops.com, right?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »
LLRj - thank you for your work on the Wounded Warrior Project" - awe inspiring.

absolutely.  wounded warrior is a great service and it is sad that uncle sam isn't taking care of all of this and it has to go to private donors.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2012, 07:46:48 AM »
Be careful, dude!  Stating facts is what got you in trouble over at MarquetteHoops.com, right?

The difference is that these mods won't declare victory and lock down the thread.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »

:o

The problem when you say “that’s not me” is disingenuous.  It is you and it is many people here.

You were probably outraged then at PRN, Leever and others saying to posters here, myself included, that we are in need of medication, are literally crazy or need psychological help and offering clinical help. 

I don’t disagree with what you said, but the fact that you and others have participated in the very thing you don’t care for deserves a  :o
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »

"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

leever

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »

The problem when you say “that’s not me” is disingenuous.  It is you and it is many people here.

You were probably outraged then at PRN, Leever and others saying to posters here, myself included, that we are in need of medication, are literally crazy or need psychological help and offering clinical help. 

I don’t disagree with what you said, but the fact that you and others have participated in the very thing you don’t care for deserves a  :o

Hoop -

I did not say that to "posters here", just you.  But anyway, I'm willing to concede that, perhaps, I was wrong and you do not need medication or therapy.  Maybe you're just annoying.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
Hoop -

I did not say that to "posters here", just you.  But anyway, I'm willing to concede that, perhaps, I was wrong and you do not need medication or therapy.  Maybe you're just annoying.

Oh that line will keep me laughing all weekend.  Thanks!