Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Enlund's Blog] Details of Buzz Williams' salary  (Read 12695 times)

TomEnlundSays

[Enlund's Blog] Details of Buzz Williams' salary
« on: May 25, 2012, 04:15:07 PM »
Details of Buzz Williams' salary

Newly released tax documents from Marquette University indicate men's basketball coach Buzz Williams earned $1,736,453 for the year ending June 30, 2011.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/154187205.html

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: [Enlund's Blog] Details of Buzz Williams' salary
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:59:11 PM »
It's simple. Last year he was making basically 800k.  Then other schools started calling, and he and MU agreed to a new contract that included a 2 million signing bonus.  So his compensation last year was reported as 2.8 million.  Under the new contract Buzz made about 1,736,000.  But, if you prorate his bonus over (what?) 5 years, its 400k a year, so he really makes about 2,136,000 a year now.  Not too shabby.

It's spooky that Tom would be blogging about this shortly after a tif occurred here over Buzz's salary.  Oooh, maybe he reads MUScoop!  It must be journalistic integrity or something like that he keeps him from posting here like Platypus or whatever his name is does on the Badger board.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 08:45:36 AM »
There could be many other details that can't be seen from documents reviewed.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 08:48:08 AM »
There could be many other details that can't be seen from documents reviewed.

Yea, these things are pretty useless. Don't a lot of coaches make the bulk of their money from endorsement deals and have a small base pay? Anyways, does this really warrant a blog post? Do they post Bo's salary?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »
Yea, these things are pretty useless. Don't a lot of coaches make the bulk of their money from endorsement deals and have a small base pay? Anyways, does this really warrant a blog post? Do they post Bo's salary?

The tax documents would likely include all of that "supplemental" compensation as well.  But, depending on timing it may miss certain incentive payouts and/or exclude deferred compensation that isn't currently taxable (i.e. if Buzz worked a large annual retirement contribution into his deal).

Lots of information on coaching comp is written about.. nothing too crazy about Enlund's doing it.  However, almost all the information written about comp is incomplete and/or inaccurate. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 09:11:52 AM »
It's spooky that Tom would be blogging about this shortly after a tif occurred here over Buzz's salary.  Oooh, maybe he reads MUScoop!  It must be journalistic integrity or something like that he keeps him from posting here like Platypus or whatever his name is does on the Badger board.

For all your journalistic needs: MUScoop!
SS Marquette

The Process

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:54:43 AM »

Well, in fairness to Potrykus, he seems capable of proactively spewing garbage.  Tom needs to first let others do his heavy lifting.  That's what MUScoop is for!
Relax. Respect the Process.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 09:57:42 AM »
Worth every penny

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 10:18:19 AM »
Wait, potrykus posts on badger boards?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »
Wait, potrykus posts on badger boards?

Is this supposed to be teal, Niv, or are you truly surprised?
Relax. Respect the Process.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »
If MU spends $2m (and they probably do) on marketing and advertising, no one would blink an eye.    

Spending $2m on Buzz is hands down, extremely well spent money.  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:49:45 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »
Is this supposed to be teal, Niv, or are you truly surprised?

Sadly it is a real question. Always heard that but didn't know for sure. Potrykus was an obnoxious arsehole in an email reply he sent me as a response to a letter I sent him several years ago about the badgers questioning why they won't schedule anyone in football non conf. So...eff him.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 11:12:02 AM »
If MU spend $2m (and they probably do) on marketing and advertising, no one would blink an eye.   

Spending $2m on Buzz is hands down, extremely well spent money. 

+10000.

Anybody who questions his salary just doesn't understand how important hoops is to MU.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
And in last years Federal education report MU basketball turned the 55th highest profit of any sports program, ahead of over half of the d1 football Programs and behind only Louisville hoops and a couple of other basketball Programs. Buzz is a great investment, and football would not be at MU.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
Sadly it is a real question. Always heard that but didn't know for sure. Potrykus was an obnoxious arsehole in an email reply he sent me as a response to a letter I sent him several years ago about the badgers questioning why they won't schedule anyone in football non conf. So...eff him.

The last time Potrykus' posting was brought up was during the Bo sticking it to Uthoff fiasco.  Then someone posted that Potykus had over 3,000 posts on the Badger board.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 10:53:27 PM »

Yes, it is news. Pretty interesting news, too. Get on Enlund for all kinds of things, but not when he writes about something that actually is interesting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »
Yes, it is news. Pretty interesting news, too. Get on Enlund for all kinds of things, but not when he writes about something that actually is interesting.

Except Don Walker wrote the story.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 06:20:19 PM »
Except Don Walker wrote the story.

Looks like I got caught just assuming since it was the Golden Eagles blog, that it was by Enlund.  They must train you guys to double check details in Journalism.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 11:31:34 PM »
Regardless of the writer, it is news, and, again, interesting news at that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 01:47:42 AM »
USA Today had Buzz at $2.8+mm for the 2011-12 season including a retention bonus.

Marquette: Williams' compensation includes $1,987,203 as "one-time extraordinary bonus … given for retention purposes," according to statement from university spokesman Brian Dorrington.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-03-28/ncaa-coaches-salary-database/53827374/1

Mernagh also reports that Chew turned down Buzz one time before Buzz returned with more cash:

Buzz Williams was reportedly turned down by new Illini assistant Isaac Chew the first time he tried to get him to come to Milwaukee to be the replacement for Tony Benford. After getting some more coin together, Williams called again and Chew bounced from Champaign harder than a check from Lenny Dykstra.
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0603/mernagh-hoop-musings-as-we-head-into-summer-and-a-big-thank-you-to-lauren-kirschman/

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 05:00:20 AM »
bottom line is buzz is making some good coin.  marquette needs to stay proactive on this so we do not lose him to the temptations of his stomping grounds, either by them or himself.  we've got to show overwhelming support for him to drown out the idiots who do not know a good thing when you have it nor realize the value he brings to us locally and nationally.  plus i wanna see him dance on some more opposing teams logos... ;D 

feedback