[Today at 09:38:03 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Hallmarq
[Today at 09:02:39 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sam Smith on D WADE--the dirtiest player???  (Read 18045 times)

Marqevans

• All American
Re: Sam Smith on D WADE--the dirtiest player???
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 09:36:58 PM »
I'm with you Stone Cold. UK memory gives Dwade a lot of hall passes in my book.

I think the pressure is really on him now as his team is "supposed to win" as opposed to being an underdog.  I will say this though, that final four has brought a lot of fans back from the seventies.  I was at the DePaul game this year with about 25 of my fraternity brothers out of say the 100 I lived with during those four years from 70 to 74.  That doesn't happen without DWade.  I hope kids look up to him and somehow that translates into a future superstar attending Marquette.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »
While I do feel that most of the grief given to Wade is a product of the team he plays for, I really do get the impression that these last couple of seasons have been very frustrating for him. Remember, the Heat were going to roll through last season, rack up 70+ wins and start winning championships 1-7. That obviously didn't work out and this season (before an ACL tear) they weren't even the best team in the conference...and they knew it.
Didn't Wade's team make the Finals last year after playing only one season together with plenty of holes?

Last week some of you had already written their obituary but they are up 3-2 despite missing a key player on their squad.  It seems early to be saying this team is a failure in any way. 

The Heat are the best team in the East with a healthy Rose or not on the Bulls. 

Regardless of your view of his opinion, Sam Smith hardly is a hack trying to get his name out there. The dude's covered the NBA for about three decades, wrote the definitive book on Michael Jordan and has been honored by the Basketball Hall of Fame for his work.

Sam Smith is a solid writer and he did write the definitive book on Jordan, but the problem is that it wasn’t all encompassing.  No one has had the balls to right the true book because Smith knows he can’t live in Chicago and do that and still draw breath.  His book teetered on the edge of some of the Jordan shadows but did go down the various paths that would allow him to remain in the area.  There is rumored to be a book that will do just that, but written by someone from outside Chicago which delves deeply into the true reasons for his retirement and the various off the court swept under the rug instances Jordan had.

The very same people that are saying Wade is a douche, dirty, or a jerk here will be the first ones in line to condemn that book about Jordan.

"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »
The topic of D-Wade is really tough an interesting issue for Marquette students and alumni from Chicago. i was born and raised in Chicago and never liked Wade but now im at Marquette and whenever I say I really dislike Wade Im pretty much told to transfer schools. In terms of Smith calling him a dirty player I dont think hes a dirty player but he complains so much because hes considered a superstar and thinks he should get every call. Thats what annoys me most. (That and he completely played the Bulls when he was a free agent)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 06:42:26 AM »
Dwyane does complain about calls way to much, but the more I think about it, the more I think it may be the right think for him to do.

Derrick Rose drives to the basket like Wade, and often gets fouled yet nothing is called.  Derrick never complains about it though, and the next time he still doesn't get a call. 

I feel like when Wade complains he eventually gets the call.

Maybe if you have that type of game you should complain to try to get more calls?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 06:54:11 AM »
Dwyane does complain about calls way to much, but the more I think about it, the more I think it may be the right think for him to do.

Derrick Rose drives to the basket like Wade, and often gets fouled yet nothing is called.  Derrick never complains about it though, and the next time he still doesn't get a call. 

I feel like when Wade complains he eventually gets the call.

Maybe if you have that type of game you should complain to try to get more calls?
Have the guys that have a problem with Wade complaining to the officials even watched the NBA in the last 20 years?  All Wade is doing is continuing a fine tradition of preferential treatment of superstars to the point that they complain to the refs almost every time they don't get a call.  Name me an NBA superstar in the last 20 years that hasn't done this.  It's endemic to the game.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 07:12:55 AM »
Have the guys that have a problem with Wade complaining to the officials even watched the NBA in the last 20 years?  All Wade is doing is continuing a fine tradition of preferential treatment of superstars to the point that they complain to the refs almost every time they don't get a call.  Name me an NBA superstar in the last 20 years that hasn't done this.  It's endemic to the game.

Kobe Bryant is the #1 ref pusher imo.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 07:23:48 AM »
TT, didn't mean to quote you specifically, guess that's what happens when I don't post much when the season is over.

Yes, Kobe is bad...but all the "superstars" are bad after they've been in the league for a while.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 07:43:49 AM »
Sam Smith is a solid writer and he did write the definitive book on Jordan, but the problem is that it wasn’t all encompassing.  No one has had the balls to right the true book because Smith knows he can’t live in Chicago and do that and still draw breath.  His book teetered on the edge of some of the Jordan shadows but did go down the various paths that would allow him to remain in the area.  There is rumored to be a book that will do just that, but written by someone from outside Chicago which delves deeply into the true reasons for his retirement and the various off the court swept under the rug instances Jordan had.

The very same people that are saying Wade is a douche, dirty, or a jerk here will be the first ones in line to condemn that book about Jordan.

Jordan's out of control gambling and Stern's requisite "suspension" through playing minor league baseball?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
Tim Duncan does the Bo Ryan face every time a foul is called on him.  Every.  Single.  Time.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 08:32:10 AM »

I think most people in Chicago are pretty aware of Jordan's sleeziness. In fact, I'd argue that people in Chicago are much more aware of Jordan's antics than most people around the country.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »
Didn't Wade's team make the Finals last year after playing only one season together with plenty of holes?

The Heat are the best team in the East with a healthy Rose or not on the Bulls. 

When LeBron was doing his, "Not 1, not 2, not 3..." routine was he talking about championships or simply trips to the Finals?

With a healthy Rose, the Bulls would have beat the Heat in the Playoffs this season. Unless, of course, Stern preferred Miami, in which case his handpicked officiating crews could have swung some important games...

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 09:40:55 AM »
So you're annoyed with him because other people are annoyed at him? Think for yourself much?

When people complain on this board about other posters making personal attacks, isn't this what they are referring to?  I have been on this site for many years now and enjoy it for its insight into MU basketball but I've enjoyed it less as time has gone on as threads invariably go off-topic and too often result in arguments that are not worth the time to read, let alone type.  This is a perfect example.

To answer your question, the problem is not in the media reporting that Wade complains too often to refs, its that he actually does complain about calls way too often.  As I said, I have always been a fan of Wade's, but my enthusiasm for him has waned as the years have gone by due to the sense of entitlement he has, as evidenced by his reaction to any calls that go against him and his recent tirade against Spoelstra.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
When LeBron was doing his, "Not 1, not 2, not 3..." routine was he talking about championships or simply trips to the Finals?

With a healthy Rose, the Bulls would have beat the Heat in the Playoffs this season. Unless, of course, Stern preferred Miami, in which case his handpicked officiating crews could have swung some important games...

They are in year 2 of this experiment, isn't that a bit early to saying it has been a failure?   

You make is sound unequivocal that the Bulls would beat the Heat.  I disagree that a healthy Bulls would have beaten a healthy Miami team.  They split the season series.  Didn't Rose play in the final matchup and Miami won the game?

The same remarks you are making about the officials fans used to say with the Jordan led Bulls. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »
TT, didn't mean to quote you specifically, guess that's what happens when I don't post much when the season is over.

Yes, Kobe is bad...but all the "superstars" are bad after they've been in the league for a while.

No problem, I fully agree with you.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
I think most people in Chicago are pretty aware of Jordan's sleeziness. In fact, I'd argue that people in Chicago are much more aware of Jordan's antics than most people around the country.

This.

Complete a-hole.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »
They are in year 2 of this experiment, isn't that a bit early to saying it has been a failure?   

You make is sound unequivocal that the Bulls would beat the Heat.  I disagree that a healthy Bulls would have beaten a healthy Miami team.  They split the season series.  Didn't Rose play in the final matchup and Miami won the game?

The same remarks you are making about the officials fans used to say with the Jordan led Bulls. 

Show me where I said the Heat were a failure?

They split the season series, including the 2 that Rose played in. No, he did not play in the most recent game where the Heat won. Either way, the Bulls were a better team than the Heat this season. It's unfortunate that we'll never know how the playoff match-up would have gone.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
Regardless of your view of his opinion, Sam Smith hardly is a hack trying to get his name out there. The dude's covered the NBA for about three decades, wrote the definitive book on Michael Jordan and has been honored by the Basketball Hall of Fame for his work.

There's nothing more hack-ish and amateur-hour than calling an award winning, hall-of-fame writer a "hack" after he expressed an opinion that is different than the one you share about the sports team from your own geographic region.

"Rodgers is the most overrated QB in the league"   (what a hack!!! That guy can't write!!)

Please. There are those who deserve to be condescended upon. The people whose opinions we can blow off. Those who look for being the anti to everything just for the sake of stirring the pot (see Bayless, Skip nationally; Pfeiffer, Steve "Sparky" Deuschnozzle, local). But a nationally recognized guy to say that says that a certain perception IS out there...like it or not.

I hated Jordan, but Sam Smith isn't a nobody. He carries a lot of weight in the league.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 01:22:41 PM »
There's nothing more hack-ish and amateur-hour than calling an award winning, hall-of-fame writer a "hack" after he expressed an opinion that is different than the one you share about the sports team from your own geographic region.

"Rodgers is the most overrated QB in the league"   (what a hack!!! That guy can't write!!)

Please. There are those who deserve to be condescended upon. The people whose opinions we can blow off. Those who look for being the anti to everything just for the sake of stirring the pot (see Bayless, Skip nationally; Pfeiffer, Steve "Sparky" Deuschnozzle, local). But a nationally recognized guy to say that says that a certain perception IS out there...like it or not.

I hated Jordan, but Sam Smith isn't a nobody. He carries a lot of weight in the league.

So just to be clear.  Once a guy has his name in Hall of Fame, anything he writes should be treated as gospel?

bitch please.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »
Wade's latest quote from the Miami Herald:

Wade said he admired the way Shaquille O’Neal used to take blow after blow and not lose his temper or his concentration. LeBron James has not let Danny Granger — assessed three technical fouls — rattle him. Both said they’d like to see Granger play Thursday, despite a twisted ankle, because they hate when teams lean on excuses.

“There’s still something inside me from the Kentucky game when they said Keith Bogans wasn’t 100 percent,” Wade said with a laugh of Marquette’s victory over the Wildcats.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/24/2814820/miami-heat-series-with-indiana.html#storylink=cpy

Wade has his ugly spots, but he's built a ton of basketball equity with me.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 02:44:15 PM »
Sam Smith is a solid writer and he did write the definitive book on Jordan, but the problem is that it wasn’t all encompassing.  No one has had the balls to right the true book because Smith knows he can’t live in Chicago and do that and still draw breath.  His book teetered on the edge of some of the Jordan shadows but did go down the various paths that would allow him to remain in the area.  There is rumored to be a book that will do just that, but written by someone from outside Chicago which delves deeply into the true reasons for his retirement and the various off the court swept under the rug instances Jordan had.

Sam Smith write "The Jordan Rules" in 1991, so there isn't going to be anything about Jordan's retirement in there.

There was a book called "Michael and Me" which was about the huge amount Jordan gambled, and Armen Katayain (sp) wrote a book where he said he overhead Jordan discussing the point spread on the phone before a game.  If either of those authors had more info about why Jordan "really" retired, he would've certainly included it.

And I don't buy for a second any nonsense about not being able to say something bad about MJ in Chicago.  If an author had enough to write a book titled, "Jordan is a Douche Who Had to Retire Because of Gambling," he/she would be able to sell thousands of copies while doing a book signing in downtown Chicago.  It wouldn't take balls, just facts.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:13:20 PM by WI_inferiority_complexes »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »
So just to be clear.  Once a guy has his name in Hall of Fame, anything he writes should be treated as gospel?

bitch please.

I think the point is that an obviously wise, educated person should be able to rise above such ad hominems in stating your objection.
Rather than dispute Smith's opinion, using evidence to support your contention (as he did to support his), you simply insult him, showing a severe lack of your own knowledge in the process.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »
Kobe Bryant is the #1 ref pusher imo.

I'd go Tim Duncan.  There's really no wrong answer. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2012, 04:05:35 PM »
So just to be clear.  Once a guy has his name in Hall of Fame, anything he writes should be treated as gospel?

bitch please.

If you actually read my earlier post, you'd have seen me say that Smith isn't immune to criticism, either. Nobody here is saying he is. Those of us who know who Smith is are just saying he deserves respect because he has earned it through his body of work. I don't know what you do for a living, but I hope you can say the same about yourself.

As for Smith being "afraid" to write the truth about Jordan, that's ridiculous. After "Jordan Rules," I was at press conferences in which Jordan refused to talk to Smith; it didn't bother Sam in the least. Most of us in the credible media weren't out to be Jordan's pal.

Sam's newspaper job was reporting the facts, and his book was quite a revelation at the time. Sure, it upset some M.J. fans, but it's not as if the check-out lady at the local Jewels refused to bag Sam's groceries because he had written his book. There wasn't some kind of hit out on Sam as if he were the NBA-writer version of Salman Rushdie.

I know I'd enjoy a follow-up by Smith -- or anybody else with inside knowledge -- tracking Jordan to the present.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:07:19 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2012, 10:10:04 PM »
Show me where I said the Heat were a failure?

They split the season series, including the 2 that Rose played in. No, he did not play in the most recent game where the Heat won. Either way, the Bulls were a better team than the Heat this season. It's unfortunate that we'll never know how the playoff match-up would have gone.

Heat played a tougher schedule than the Bulls.  They were the only team in the NBA to register double digit wins against the top 5 teams in the league.  http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

They went to the Finals last year and will be the odds on favorites to represent the East this year despite opinions here and elsewhere to the contrary.

Remember the talk that even with Rose out they would win their first round series and could still win the title?  They couldn't even get out of the first round.  The regular season in the NBA is not where champions are made.  The Heat often looked bored.  They are the better team and the Bulls play against the 76ers only confirms it.

You did not say they were a failure.  Instead, you said it wasn't working for them and one of the big 3 had to be traded. "Wade, LeBron and Bosh don't fit together. They never did."   One season has you thinking they never did?  They make it to the NBA Finals and yet they don't fit together?  They'll likely make it again in 10 days and they don't fit together?  Then you go on to say you wouldn't be surprised to see the Heat win it this year because the NBA conspiracy office is going to make it happen.  Same things fans against the Bulls said during the Jordan era time and again. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 10:26:51 PM »
This.

Complete a-hole.

MJ love(d)(s) the white women.

feedback