[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fred Thompson now on top of the GOP polls  (Read 10366 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Fred Thompson now on top of the GOP polls
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
Largely a benefactor of disgust with the current crop on the GOP side, but also because the press and his rivals haven't sunk their teeth into him yet.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/2008_republican_presidential_primary

augoman

• All American
Re: Fred Thompson now on top of the GOP polls
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »
Largely a benefactor of disgust with the current crop on the GOP side, but also because the press and his rivals haven't sunk their teeth into him yet.

I agree, and he will be vulnerable on many points to the media smearing..., but he's my guy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »
I thought for sure it would be Mitt by now.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:35:56 PM »
A new broom sweeps well----no one even knows where he stands. They say he's a conservative but no one knows for sure.

No way the electorate is going to elect in the days of color TV a ball headed, bags under the eye former senator who has commented often that he was "bored" by the job. After all the last senator who was elected without any governing experience is John Kennedy (47 years ago----and before that you have to go into the 19th century and it might be Lincoln who was a congressman).

Where Romney has campaigned he's ahead----South Carolina, NH, Iowa-----he and Guiliani can beat Hillary!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 12:45:55 PM »
No way the electorate is going to elect in the days of color TV a ball headed, bags under the eye ....

Why, New York has done it twice with Hillary Clinton and she's leading in the Presidential polls.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 02:11:33 PM »
Chico----Hillary is no movie queen, but she is more presentable than Thompson-----your pictures not withstanding.

The electorate has moved toward the left----thanks in big part to the national news media----need someone with stage presence who is perceived as a moderste to beat Hillary!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 02:46:16 PM »
Chico----Hillary is no movie queen, but she is more presentable than Thompson-----your pictures not withstanding.

The electorate has moved toward the left----thanks in big part to the national news media----need someone with stage presence who is perceived as a moderste to beat Hillary!

Personally I think this stuff goes in cycles.  The left will rule the day until they F up and people realize that taxes don't promote a good economy, when their culture of corruption wears thin, etc, etc.  Then it will swing back to the right again....that is if there is anyone left on the right in the Republican party.

I don't think the looks have anything to do with it.  He's an older guy, so was Reagan.  He managed to marry someone about 1/2 his age that isn't hard on the eyes....that will get the guys interested.  My wife loves him because he reminds her of a her dad with his folksy way.  Besides, with his age ee can appeal to the AARP demographic.   ;)

I wouldn't get to bothered about his "I'm bored" with the Senate.  I'd lose my mind with those 100 prima donnas.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 02:59:28 PM »
your only hope is bloomberg
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 03:25:51 PM »
It would be nice to have Bloomberg running as a 3rd party candidate----but half the electorate already hates Hillary (won't vote for her no matter what)----if the Republicans run moderates Guiliani or Romney they win----much better stage presence for the debates----also Iraq will show progress by then!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 03:47:57 PM »
your only hope is bloomberg

"Lots of people say, 'I want a Democrat,' but when they see the particulars, they say, 'I don't want that Democrat,'" said Jeffrey Berry, a political science professor at Tufts University. "The thing that's amazing about the Democrats is that they could still snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. The major Democrats are all now well to the left of the median voter."
June 19, 2007

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 05:24:10 PM »
Bloomberg just changed his party affiliation from GOP to unaffiliated.  Trust me, Murf, you don't want him to run if you want a Republican in office.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »
Bloomberg just changed his party affiliation from GOP to unaffiliated.  Trust me, Murf, you don't want him to run if you want a Republican in office.

Smart guy....I did the same thing more than a decade ago...after first leaving the Donkeys then going to the elephants and now going commando.   ;D

But none of it is surprising either, Bloomberg and Arnold are the biggest RINOs going...Bloomberg was a lifelong Democrat until 6 years ago and then switched....now switching again.  Arnold will do the same although in reality he did it years ago.

But for other reasons, Murff might be right.  Some "experts" predict a Bloomberg entry guarantees a Republican in the White House so if that's what Murff wants, he might get it.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=3295429

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 06:35:21 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 06:58:14 PM »
I would vote for bloomberg - very smart guy and has commen sense.  Murf and chicos, I see you guys more in the brownback and huckabee camp.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 07:50:41 PM »
Murff...did you know that Fred is 6'7" tall....would be a monster on the boards.  Would love to see him stand next to Hillary in the debates.  Maybe she could get in his grill like Gore tried with Bush in 2000.   ::)

At any rate, I found this rather interesting as they try to dig up dirt on the guy

Hundreds Of Boxes. Thousands Of Revealing Documents And Still Nothing That Can Explain 'Curly Sue'
Contributed by Holly Bailey - Posted: June 19, 2007 12:13:20 PM

Fred Thompson once joked with reporters that he's an "open book," and he wasn't kidding. Unlike many prominent former senators--Al Gore, John Edwards, Bill Frist--Thompson put his eight years of Senate records up for public review two years ago. The collection, on file at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, includes more than 400 boxes of personal letters, campaign memos, photographs and internal-strategy files on everything from his investigation into Bill Clinton's 1996 fund-raising to dealings with reporters. As NEWSWEEK reported this week, there are plenty of documents about politics and policy, some that GOP voters might not like.

And then there's the interesting stuff.

Example No. 1: in files related to Thompson's personal biography, your Gaggler found an official U.S. Senate "memorandum" on Thompson's clothing sizes, apparently jotted down by a very dutiful staff member. Now there's been some confusion lately over exactly how tall the former senator turned actor is. USA Today, for example, reports Thompson is 6 feet 6 inches, but columnist Robert Novak measured him in a recent column at 6 feet 7 inches. Sadly, his Senate files don't clear up the mystery, but the undated memo does reveal that back during his Senate days, Thompson's shoe size was a 13a. He wore a 48XL jacket and had a 40-inch waist. His arms were 36 inches long, and he wore pants with a 32- inch inseam. In other words, he's a BIG guy and would be one of the biggest presidents ever. (Abraham Lincoln was just 6 feet 4 inches and, while his memo on clothing sizes hasn't turned up, he appeared supermodel skinny in his official photographs.)

But your Gaggler's favorite part of the Thompson files are his letters--boxes and boxes of them. The files include dozens of thank you notes Thompson wrote to fellow senators for gifts they gave him, like the "cream of wheat" he received from Conrad Burns and the Alaskan salmon Frank Murkowski bestowed upon him. In 2001, Thompson wrote fellow Sen. Wayne Allard to thank him for giving him a lambskin rug. It's a typed letter, but at the bottom, Thompson added a handwritten note: "I'll think of you when I wear it!" Thompson sent joking memos to fellow Sens. Joe Lieberman and Chuck Grassley, admonishing them for eating his stash of Goo Goo Clusters, a slab of chocolately goodness perhaps most famous for its commercials during the Grand Ole Opry. In 1995, Thompson's staff sent a letter to Rep. Jack Kingston, who had forwarded Thompson a friend's audition tape in hopes that he'd pass it on to his then-girlfriend, country star Lorrie Morgan. "As a general rule, the senator does not give tapes to Ms. Lorrie Morgan," the letter says.

There are even notes from Thompson to journalists and vice versa, including letters from NBC's Tim Russert, CBS's Dan Rather and CNN's Wolf Blitzer asking for interviews. But CNN's Larry King was clearly the most persistent, sending Thompson three notes in spring 1997 begging for an interview about his campaign-finance investigation. "I realize you are preparing for very important hearings," King wrote. "However, the country is anxious to know you better! Please join me soon!" (In fairness, your Gaggler must mention Thompson also archived a November 1997 letter from NEWSWEEK's then-Washington bureau chief Ann McDaniel, inviting the senator to sit down with her and other reporters. He agreed two months later, but according to a Thompson's staffer note on the letter, the magazine was too busy with the Monica Lewinsky scandal and canceled. Our bad!)

In November 1997, the Washington Post's Bob Woodward wrote Thompson to apologize personally for a line in a story he wrote that said his campaign-finance hearings were "running out of steam without producing many tangible results." Woodward wrote that the "construction of the sentence" implied that those were his thoughts, when in fact they were the words of a Justice Department official. "There, at times, has been mention of eating crow," Woodward wrote. "I want to eat a full plate. (I only wish it were warmer.)"

In 2001, New York Times columnist William Safire wrote Thompson to ask what he had meant when he said "the ox is in the ditch" when it comes to postal reform. "Once again, you remind me that the rest of the country doesn't necessarily use the same phrases as a country boy from Tennessee," Thompson replied, confessing he'd actually never seen an ox in a ditch--or frankly, an ox. "As usual, I have no idea where this comes from. All I know is that when the ox is in the ditch, it is a very serious matter--very serious. A big ox, a small ditch, a big load and a hot day--well, you can see the problem."

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 09:05:49 AM »
regardless of how he looks, i think fred thompson appeals to a lot of the younger votes, like myself. 

if we are voting on appearance only (let alone political issues) theres no way anyone votes for rudy, hilldogg, or anyone except obama.  and i think educated people know better than to vote for obama.

fred thompson is probably the best republican candidate because of the truly conservative republicans, he's most likely to beat out mccain and rudy for the primary.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 12:33:27 PM »
regardless of how he looks, i think fred thompson appeals to a lot of the younger votes, like myself. 

if we are voting on appearance only (let alone political issues) theres no way anyone votes for rudy, hilldogg, or anyone except obama.  and i think educated people know better than to vote for obama.

fred thompson is probably the best republican candidate because of the truly conservative republicans, he's most likely to beat out mccain and rudy for the primary.

McCain is dead...he's so done at this point.  It would be miracle for him to get off the pad at this point.  Fred isn't really that conservative, but he has a more conservative rating then Rudy or McCain which is why he becomes the defacto "conservative candidate" for conservatives....Hunter would be the best but he has no chance.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 01:02:49 PM »
Thompson might be 6' 7" (wasn't aware of that) but Hillary would want a box to stand on behind the lecturn or a sit down debate.

Thompson is too old looking----doesn't give the impression he is passionately interested in being president or being in government service---he'd fly in the south against hillary but that's about it.

Need a guy who has stage presence, who can articulate, and can raise money-----Romney and Guliani so qualify!

Brownbeck & Huckabee have no chance of getting nominated  -----Huckabee is very articulate though.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 01:05:40 PM by Murffieus »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 01:51:56 PM »
This just in - Dems looking for 6'9" presidential candidate.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 05:11:22 PM »
Is this what fundraising has come to for R's this cycle?
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/19/politics/main2953001.shtml
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 07:06:51 PM »
What's your point? Graft and corruption aren't unique to either political party!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 12:20:54 AM »
Is this what fundraising has come to for R's this cycle?
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/19/politics/main2953001.shtml

Is this what fundraising has come to the donkeys this cycle?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1853026/posts

;)

feedback