[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop fishing thread  (Read 158781 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Scoop fishing thread
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »
Here's a question I'm almost embarrassed to ask.... but is it bad form to bring your own tackle (i.e. plastics, spoons) on a fully-outfitted, guided fishing excursion?  My buddies and I do a "tournament" (it's part of a trade show) every year where people come in from all parts of the country - some who are avid fisherman, some who barely know how to attach a life vest, and many in between - and the guides outfit you with everything.  You literally show up in appropriate clothing, go to your assigned boat, and you're off.

Some of us take the tournament more seriously than others (and certainly more seriously than we should), and I was thinking about taking along a secret weapon or two from my own box this year.  I don't want to insult our guide, however; I just don't know how that's perceived.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »
Wouldn't bother me if done right.

Guides like to learn too.

What tournament are you doing on Tonka?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »
Wouldn't bother me if done right.

Guides like to learn too.

What tournament are you doing on Tonka?

It's a private group; just a bunch of business folks killing some time between a seminar and dinner.  People around always ask what's going on when they see 100 boats pulling into Excelsior Bay on a morning in the middle of the week, and there's never any shortage of smartasses in our group who respond "we're going fishing."

Not sure that I could teach a guide anything, but probably best to leave the tackle at home any way... especially since I'm not checking a bag and really don't want to have to explain to TSA why I have three fishing lures in my carry-on.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2015, 01:13:54 PM »
Good luck on Tonka.  There is some great bass fishing on that lake.  Let us know how you do.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2015, 02:32:25 PM »
Good luck on Tonka.  There is some great bass fishing on that lake.  Let us know how you do.

My boat got skunked; we went out right after the rain cleared, but my guide admitted he had been on Tonka twice in the last year, so we were pretty much screwed from the beginning.  Lots of cabbage.  Few nibbles, no hits.  One lady in the group (another boat) landed a 37" muskie, though, so some people had a good day.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »
One week till Canada. 

Gonna make up 10 pounds of Real Chili for the gang...it's why they ask me back every year.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2015, 08:39:35 PM »
Who's got a good/great tartar sauce recipe?

Best I ever had was at the Village Pump on Kelleys Island.  The only thing they would share is that worschestershire sauce. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2015, 12:11:55 PM »
51 inch muskie.  First time muskie fishing.  Caught it about 30 minutes into the trip.  Used a silver Williams Whitefish,C90 spoon.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:07:22 AM by real chili 83 »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »
Fished Lough Eske in Donegal  last week.  Rivers were low and Salmon were not running. Did catch four brown trout on a three fly tandem -one at a time.  Too much Jameson the night before and we both forgot cameras. A ghillie took us around in a large row boat . Gave him his first taste of beef jerkey. Don't think he cared for it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2015, 01:36:41 PM »
51 inch muskie.  First time muskie fishing.  Caught it about 30 minutes into the trip.  Used a silver Williams Whitefish,C90 spoon.

Committed to the screen name

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #260 on: July 10, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
51 inch muskie.  First time muskie fishing.  Caught it about 30 minutes into the trip.  Used a silver Williams Whitefish,C90 spoon.

FANTASTIC!! CONGRATS!!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #261 on: July 10, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »
FANTASTIC!! CONGRATS!!

Thanks.

I need to look into getting a replica made.  Any advice on a quality shop?

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #262 on: July 10, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
All right, fishing savants. I have a friend who knows next to nothing about fishing but is interested in getting a new hobby. For someone who didn't grow up with it, how does one "get into" fishing? He doesn't really know where to begin. How to choose the equipment, location, type of fish, etc. Any tips would be appreciated.

(The friend is me)
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #263 on: July 10, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »
All right, fishing savants. I have a friend who knows next to nothing about fishing but is interested in getting a new hobby. For someone who didn't grow up with it, how does one "get into" fishing? He doesn't really know where to begin. How to choose the equipment, location, type of fish, etc. Any tips would be appreciated.

(The friend is me)

Where do you live?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #264 on: July 11, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »
Thanks.

I need to look into getting a replica made.  Any advice on a quality shop?

Joe Fittante in Antigo, WI. He's doing a smb for me right now. The guy is absolutely the best. If you call him he'll email you info on available positions. You select one, give him the length and girth, and email him any pictures you have and he will create a work of art. Or if you're in the area stop in his shop. The mounts he has on display are amazing.

http://www.fittantereplicas.com/

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #265 on: July 12, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »

Joe Fittante in Antigo, WI. He's doing a smb for me right now. The guy is absolutely the best. If you call him he'll email you info on available positions. You select one, give him the length and girth, and email him any pictures you have and he will create a work of art. Or if you're in the area stop in his shop. The mounts he has on display are amazing.

http://www.fittantereplicas.com/

Thanks for the referral.

Our guide recommended this outfit.  Ever heard of them?  They get $15.50 per inch.  That's about $800 for my fish.  Seems a little pricey.

http://flexfish.ca/ 

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #266 on: July 12, 2015, 11:08:35 AM »
Thanks for the referral.

Our guide recommended this outfit.  Ever heard of them?  They get $15.50 per inch.  That's about $800 for my fish.  Seems a little pricey.

http://flexfish.ca/

Sorry, haven't heard of them. I'm active on the musky hunter magazine forum and discussions pop up from time to time about who does the best muskie replicas. Fittante has fans, as well as Rick Lax in Conover, WI. I personally prefer Fittante. Another place I've heard good things about is Artistic Anglers. They're located in Duluth. I haven't seen too much of their work, but what I recall seeing was pretty good. Check them all out and see who you prefer. If you're not in a hurry go to one of the muskie shows this winter. I go to shows in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas and Lax and Fittante usually have lots of mounts on display. I'm sure there's a show in Minny as well. Be advised that it usually takes 10-12 months to get your replica. $800+ is probably about what you're going to pay for a 50+ inch fish. My smallie is costing me $400.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #267 on: July 12, 2015, 12:05:16 PM »

Well done! I love how you used your Scoop name for the Catch of the Week Board. F#cking great.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2015, 12:17:26 PM »
Well done! I love how you used your Scoop name for the Catch of the Week Board. F#cking great.

Did you catch the edit I did on the fish photo  Quite proud of my new-found photo editing skills.   ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #269 on: July 12, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
Sorry, haven't heard of them. I'm active on the musky hunter magazine forum and discussions pop up from time to time about who does the best muskie replicas. Fittante has fans, as well as Rick Lax in Conover, WI. I personally prefer Fittante. Another place I've heard good things about is Artistic Anglers. They're located in Duluth. I haven't seen too much of their work, but what I recall seeing was pretty good. Check them all out and see who you prefer. If you're not in a hurry go to one of the muskie shows this winter. I go to shows in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas and Lax and Fittante usually have lots of mounts on display. I'm sure there's a show in Minny as well. Be advised that it usually takes 10-12 months to get your replica. $800+ is probably about what you're going to pay for a 50+ inch fish. My smallie is costing me $400.

Great idea on the shows.  I'm not in a hurry to get it done....want it done right!

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #270 on: July 13, 2015, 02:11:51 AM »
  • y
Where do you live?

Peoria but I might be moving to Indianapolis soon.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #271 on: July 13, 2015, 02:15:14 AM »

You poor bastard. I'm not sure which is worse - staying in Peoria or moving to Indian No Place.

Death on call

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #272 on: July 13, 2015, 12:06:28 PM »
You poor bastard. I'm not sure which is worse - staying in Peoria or moving to Indian No Place.

And just a year and a half ago I was in Seattle. What happened to me?
Signature:

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2015, 07:27:55 PM »
  • y

So mostly bass and panfish.

I'd get a 6 foot spinning rod, medium-light weight. If you don't have a boat, it's good for casting spinners and such off of banks and docks.  Also good for bobber fishing. If you go from a boat, it's a good utility rod.

For line, I'd go with 8 pound mono.  Fluorocarbon is nice, but twice the price.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:31:59 PM by real chili 83 »

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #274 on: July 14, 2015, 01:02:27 AM »
So mostly bass and panfish.

I'd get a 6 foot spinning rod, medium-light weight. If you don't have a boat, it's good for casting spinners and such off of banks and docks.  Also good for bobber fishing. If you go from a boat, it's a good utility rod.

For line, I'd go with 8 pound mono.  Fluorocarbon is nice, but twice the price.

Thanks, Chili. I'll report back when I get a chance to get out there.
Signature: