[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop fishing thread  (Read 158824 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Scoop fishing thread
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2014, 04:57:21 AM »
Headed to Lake of the Woods to do some ice fishing this weekend... hope they are biting!

Walleye bite has been good this winter on LOW.

Fishing should be good on Saturday.  There is a monster low pressure system coming in late Saturday afternoon.  The morning and early afternoon bite should be fun before the front hits.

Saturday night, it will be at least -30.  Hope you have a block heater for your car.  

Stay safe.  People die when they don't take this kind of weather seriously.  I have to go to Duluth this weekend....not looking forward to it.  Safe travels.  Be sure to post some pics.

If you are heading up throug Grand Rapids, Cut Foot Sioux Narrow, etc. consider stopping at Westwinds in Washkish.  This place was the first resort to re-open on Red Lack during the lake's crappie resurgence.  Great atmosphere with some amazing trophies on the wall.  
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:40:35 AM by real chili 83 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
Walleye bite has been good this winter on LOW.

Fishing should be good on Saturday.  There is a monster low pressure system coming in late Saturday afternoon.  The morning and early afternoon bite should be fun before the front hits.

Saturday night, it will be at least -30.  Hope you have a block heater for your car.  

Stay safe.  People die when they don't take this kind of weather seriously.  I have to go to Duluth this weekend....not looking forward to it.  Safe travels.  Be sure to post some pics.

If you are heading up throug Grand Rapids, Cut Foot Sioux Narrow, etc. consider stopping at Westwinds in Washkish.  This place was the first resort to re-open on Red Lack during the lake's crappie resurgence.  Great atmosphere with some amazing trophies on the wall.  

Well, we decided to cancel the trip.  Its just going to be too cold to do it this Sat-Tues.  For the record we were going to Arneson's... if you've heard of it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »
Well, we decided to cancel the trip.  Its just going to be too cold to do it this Sat-Tues.  For the record we were going to Arneson's... if you've heard of it.

Arneson's is a well known, long running, family run business.  They definitely know what they are doing.

You made the right call.  It is going to be biblical cold up here for a couple of days.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »

Talked to a guy today who went to LOW.  The bite was SLOW.  All fish were caught on rattle reels.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »
Tried the St Croix today.  Drove out from the access in North Hudson.  First time driving on a river.

Almost three feet of ice.  Caught a few nice crappies.  Probably 300 cars and shacks out there.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »
Talked to a guy today who went to LOW.  The bite was SLOW.  All fish were caught on rattle reels.

My wife and FIL went this weekend as I had some stuff to attend to at home... They are killing the walleyes, and asked me what the record perch was in MN. I'm hoping they bring back some sauger...never had it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2014, 07:21:52 PM »
My wife and FIL went this weekend as I had some stuff to attend to at home... They are killing the walleyes, and asked me what the record perch was in MN. I'm hoping they bring back some sauger...never had it.

Sauger.....taste like walleye.  Caught lots of them on Kabetogema. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »
I'm sitting on Maple lake in an ice fishing contest. Just pulled out a 22" nord. 39th largest fish wins an ice castle.  Hoping I'm #39.

Heard we took it on the chin today.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »
Chili:  Just read this article and thought of you...you have one of these ice castles??

It is from the WSJ, so I don't know if it will let you open it--if not, I can copy and paste:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303519404579355112491789816

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »
my FIL is currently in the process of developing a lightweight (well as light as possible) portable (fits in the rear of a pickup), and inexpensive ice shack.  Not one of those clam shell things... those things suck.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2014, 09:00:39 AM »
Chili:  Just read this article and thought of you...you have one of these ice castles??

It is from the WSJ, so I don't know if it will let you open it--if not, I can copy and paste:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303519404579355112491789816

Ice Castle is a great brand.  We gave one away for an ice fishing contest I helped organize a few years back for a charity.  Ice Castle donated the house.  Very charitable people.

I fish out of my portable.  More mobile.....not that I would turn down an Ice Castle.

6 weeks till Florida and warm weather fishing!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2014, 10:09:31 AM »
On two weekends this month I've gone ice fishing near Sturgeon Bay.  Whitefish, both times.  Freezer is now loaded. 
Any recommendations on how to filet the damn pin bones out of whitefish?

And, any recipe thoughts, other than the obvious?  Looking to try something healthier......
Ludum habemus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
On two weekends this month I've gone ice fishing near Sturgeon Bay.  Whitefish, both times.  Freezer is now loaded. 

And, any recipe thoughts, other than the obvious?  Looking to try something healthier......

Pickle them!  The brine will dissolve the bones... plus picked fish!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2014, 10:29:48 AM »

Throw them on the smoker.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
Getting ready to go to the lower Keys and hoping to book a charter.  I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with charters in Key West?  Hoping to go after Permit or Tarpon.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »
Getting ready to go to the lower Keys and hoping to book a charter.  I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with charters in Key West?  Hoping to go after Permit or Tarpon.

It's too early for tarpon.  You should find permit.  Try for snook too.

Here's a web site to try.  Go light tackle.

http://fishkeywestguides.com/key-west-deep-sea-fishing/

Try this place for breakfast.  It's a real treat.

http://blueheavenkw.homestead.com/menus.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:22:09 PM by real chili 83 »

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
It's too early for tarpon.  You should find permit.  Try for snook too.

Here's a web site to try.  Go light tackle.

http://fishkeywestguides.com/key-west-deep-sea-fishing/

Try this place for breakfast.  It's a real treat.

http://blueheavenkw.homestead.com/menus.html

I wondered about if it was for tarpon, will have to settle for feeding them at Robbie's.

Thanks for the breakfast recommendation.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2014, 08:26:12 PM »
Did a charter this week on the Cortez Cat from Cortez, Fl.

Small party boat.  Went out 10 miles.

Had a gas.  Boat caught 150 fish.  Mostly grey snappers, some mangroves snapppers and a few red groupers.

Two days before the trip, had 30 knot winds and 10 foot seas.  Dirty water.

On good days (clear water) they double the catch.

Grey snapper was great for dinner tonight.  Took some flour, added some cheezeits and ritz. Crushed them up and added some lemo pepper, Lawry's, and black pepper. Mmmmm.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2014, 08:33:15 PM »
My buddies have been killing the Wahoo and Tuna recently out of Jacksonville.  Said the tuna were stacked up like nothing he's ever seen.

By the way, made it to Blue Heaven.  Was very worth the wait.  Missed out on fishing this time. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »
Breakfast with the chickens!

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2014, 08:42:24 PM »
Breakfast with the chickens!

Yessir. After a 90 min wait.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2014, 08:54:49 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it.

Key west is a great town. One could get into a wee bit o trouble at Sloppy Joe's if they put their mind to it.   ;). Arrrrh

Did you make it to Mallory Point for sunset?

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:52 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it.

Key west is a great town. One could get into a wee bit o trouble at Sloppy Joe's if they put their mind to it.   ;). Arrrrh

Did you make it to Mallory Point for sunset?

Key West is fun, this was our 2nd time visiting.  And frankly I prefer Captn Tony's. 

Yes we went to Mallory for sunset and watched a few acts, always fun.  Curious as to how much some of those acts pull down in a year.  The "Red Trouser" show/act seems to be pretty fine tuned..
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2014, 05:55:03 AM »
The picture is my neighbor and his 11 yr old son and their winning fish from this weekend's Full Throtle tournament on pools 3/4/5 on the Mississippi.  The kid caught two 30" walleyes to seal the win.

My neighbors, Pete and his son Alex, defend their Full Throttle title today in Red Wing. 

Pete and I pre fished last weekend.  40 degrees and rained.  Good foul weather gear is worth it's weight in gold on mornings like that.  Caught two wallies before hypothermia set in.

Fishing technology today is just...fun.  From I-pilots replacing anchors to side and bottom scan sonar to incredibly quiet 4 strokes.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »
My neighbors, Pete and his son Alex, defend their Full Throttle title today in Red Wing. 

Pete and I pre fished last weekend.  40 degrees and rained.  Good foul weather gear is worth it's weight in gold on mornings like that.  Caught two wallies before hypothermia set in.

Fishing technology today is just...fun.  From I-pilots replacing anchors to side and bottom scan sonar to incredibly quiet 4 strokes.

The neighbors finished 3rd this year. 

After the awards were over, they went to pull the boat out.  Pete, the dad, found something in the livewell as he went to pull the drainplug.  His son had missed the final walleye when he took the fish out for the weigh in.  They had a legitimate shot at first place with this last fish.

That's what you get when you drag an 11 year old out of bed at 4AM to fish in an all day tournament!!!!

feedback