collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU continues down a path I cannot support  (Read 10021 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
MU continues down a path I cannot support
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
Group of MU professors proving yet again, that place represents me and what I always liked about it less and less every day.

http://www.jsonline.com/features/religion/marquette-faculty-members-rebuke-ryan-budget-2o5fj2f-152125365.html?ipad=y

BTW, another fine example of unbiased, fact-based reporting by the JS...

His proposal would cut $300 billion in spending over the next decade, slashing such safety net programs for the poor as food stamps, Medicare and Medicaid.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: MU continues down a path I cannot support
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »
First, I'm in before the lock, because there's no way this doesn't turn into a political pissing thread in about five responses.

Having said that, I actually took the time to read the article and found it reasonably balanced.  The JS covered the story, and as part of that story mentioned only a third of profs actually signed the statement and presented a counter argument from someone that did not sign it.  Marquette is mentioned only as allowing its professors to have academic freedom and not as sanctioning or supporting the statement.

You seem more upset that someone would critically question the use of Catholic faith in support of political objectives for the Republican party to which you are aligned.  Perhaps you should consider whether the criticism raised by professors at two leading Catholic Universities has any serious merit. 

At Marquette, I learned to think critically about different viewpoints, including those I don't agree with.  But maybe that doesn't represent you and what you liked about it.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
As stated above, I am going to be careful not to discuss the merits of the letter or the government policy.  That said, the very first sentence of JS's coverage indicates that a total of 50 faculty signed.  Marquette prides itself on academic freedom.  I'd be careful not to paint with too broad a brush and ascribe the sentiments of those faculty members to an overall university position.  For reference, I take you back to a very headed debate regarding the appointment of the Arts and Sciences Dean two years ago.  There were strong feelings on both sides.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »
Just to correct myself, it was reported as 'more than 50'.  And please note that the MU faculty count exceeds 700.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:39:58 AM by jsglow »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »
I'm also not going to delve into politics, but the JS piece seemed quite balanced and as others have noted less than a 1/3 of the faculty in those departments signed.

Count me as proud that they allow their faculty to speak freely and present diverse viewpoints on important issues.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »
Not feeling it, Naivin.    A percentage of professors publicly disagreed with a budget proposal?   Of course they did.   Any budget proposed by anyone anywhere is going to have a percentage that disagree with it.    
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »
I guess the reason I don't have a problem with it is that it was based from a position of theology (which arguably has no basis as a foundational tenet of defending a budget plan anyway) not from politics. If this were professors simply beating a political drum in unison under the Marquette banner, that would be a major problem for me. But when politicians begin ascribing religious defenses to their political agendas, they deserve whatever they get and more.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 12:46:06 PM »
I guess my point was more along the lines of a continued string/trend of opinions, decisions, actions, etc., that just makes MU look very little like the University I knew 20 years ago (Frankly, I think it extends to the Jesuits, Catholic Church, or at least people who purport to be Catholic). That may be more of a statement on society, and MU is simply following that trend, but I certainly don't have to like it.

I agree the facts as it relates to MU, etc. are presented pretty well, the comment on the JS piece itself was largely related to the specific line I pointed out. If anyone considers that objective language/writing, or a fair and balanced assessment of Ryan's complete proposal, may want to consider taking a closer look. The writer is either a terrible writer, or willfully providing a portion of the picture that supports her opinion on the matter.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
. If this were professors simply beating a political drum in unison under the Marquette banner, that would be a major problem for me.

Let's get real though, that's exactly what they're doing (and I never said all of them, nor was it some sort of official MU statement), regardless of what they call it, or how they try to package it. Do they have a right to do it? You bet, and I support that right. However, it simply follows the trend of making Marquette less and less appealing to me. That's my point.

Over 75% of the Profs who signed it were outside the of Dept. of Theology, so you'll forgive me if i don't buy the argument that this is simply about the Catholic element, and not a public political argument/tactic. If this came from a group of Bishops, Cardinal Dolan, etc., that would be a different story, but let's call this what it is, a bunch of academics espousing their political point of view under the guise of Church tenant. They are free to do so, but it's simply not what I want to see coming out of MU.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 02:04:31 PM »
First, I'm in before the lock, because there's no way this doesn't turn into a political pissing thread in about five responses.

You forgot the gif, silly.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
I guess my point was more along the lines of a continued string/trend of opinions, decisions, actions, etc., that just makes MU look very little like the University I knew 20 years ago (Frankly, I think it extends to the Jesuits, Catholic Church, or at least people who purport to be Catholic). That may be more of a statement on society, and MU is simply following that trend, but I certainly don't have to like it.

I agree the facts as it relates to MU, etc. are presented pretty well, the comment on the JS piece itself was largely related to the specific line I pointed out. If anyone considers that objective language/writing, or a fair and balanced assessment of Ryan's complete proposal, may want to consider taking a closer look. The writer is either a terrible writer, or willfully providing a portion of the picture that supports her opinion on the matter.

maybe you need to do a little more research on your own.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/05/ryans-budget-spin/

IBTL.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
Let's get real though, that's exactly what they're doing (and I never said all of them, nor was it some sort of official MU statement), regardless of what they call it, or how they try to package it. Do they have a right to do it? You bet, and I support that right. However, it simply follows the trend of making Marquette less and less appealing to me. That's my point.

Over 75% of the Profs who signed it were outside the of Dept. of Theology, so you'll forgive me if i don't buy the argument that this is simply about the Catholic element, and not a public political argument/tactic. If this came from a group of Bishops, Cardinal Dolan, etc., that would be a different story, but let's call this what it is, a bunch of academics espousing their political point of view under the guise of Church tenant. They are free to do so, but it's simply not what I want to see coming out of MU.

I'll definitely agree that I think the theologians defeat their own purpose by opening the signatories beyond the dept of theology. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »

If you don't think a significant portion of MU's faculty tended toward liberal thinking 20 years ago, you weren't paying attention.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »

If you don't think a significant portion of MU's faculty tended toward liberal thinking 20 years ago, you weren't paying attention.

I tend to agree with that, but further, if you didn't think a portion of MU's faculty tended toward liberal thinking .. and a portion leaned conservative, and some were in the middle .. you weren't paying attention. 

When MU hires non-Jesuits, I don't believe MU has ever required a fealty oath prior to their employment.  They are who they are, (hopefully) experts in their field who can inspire and impart their knowledge to a younger generation.   

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »
"The truth shall make you free."  (Somebody or other said that.)
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »
I tend to agree with that, but further, if you didn't think a portion of MU's faculty tended toward liberal thinking .. and a portion leaned conservative, and some were in the middle .. you weren't paying attention. 

Oh yes...I completely agree.  I just don't think that this letter presents any sort of evidence that the faculty has changed in any way.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
maybe you need to do a little more research on your own.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/05/ryans-budget-spin/

IBTL.
Surprise, Surprise.  Hards with a political opinion.....Thought you were against all political commentary on this board?  Once again proving you only dislike political commentary that does not agree with your own.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
So if I post in a thread solely to get in before the lock with no intention of contributing to the wet hairy kittenness of the thread does that make me a good user of the internets or a bad user of the internets?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 10:08:50 AM »
Surprise, Surprise.  Hards with a political opinion.....Thought you were against all political commentary on this board?  Once again proving you only dislike political commentary that does not agree with your own.

Just don't say Madison is a liberal town. That's unforgivable.  :P

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »

Surprise surprise, I reported the thread to the mods the moment it went up.

And for what it is worth, I am only pointing out the facts of the argument.  Nothing more.  That website is incredibly balanced.

I look forward to reporting any other threads that venture into the political realm regardless of their ideology.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »
Just don't say Madison is a liberal town. That's unforgivable.  :P

No, it is absolutely true.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
Surprise surprise, I reported the thread to the mods the moment it went up.

And for what it is worth, I am only pointing out the facts of the argument.  Nothing more.  That website is incredibly balanced.

I look forward to reporting any other threads that venture into the political realm regardless of their ideology.
OK, you're right.  You report all political threads, but in cases where you disagree, you also attack the poster.  My bad.

There is much disagreement as to Annenberg's balance in factcheck.org

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
This is only in danger of being locked because of the interpersonal squabbling, not politics.  (yet).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
OK, you're right.  You report all political threads, but in cases where you disagree, you also attack the poster.  My bad.

There is much disagreement as to Annenberg's balance in factcheck.org

Yes, I am right.  I do, but its safe to say that most of the threads that go off track here do so from a conservative comment, not a liberal one.  If you don't believe me, go look.

Where am I attacking the poster?

Leonore Annenberg's (founder of the Annenberg foundation) husband worked for Nixon, and both of them made campaign contributions to Ronald Reagan.  So yes, the foundation they started must have a strong liberal bias.

You make my head hurt.

I'm done here.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »
I believe the faculty of most universities would be at least 30% against any attempt to reform medicaid that doesn't include huge tax increases.

feedback