'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Offers"  (Read 2126 times)

dgies9156

• All American
"Offers"
« on: May 03, 2012, 03:11:28 PM »
Ok Scoopers, it's time for a quick discussion of contract law by a non-lawyer who has entered into more than a few contracts of various sizes over the years.

All this nonsense about Buzz "offering" this and Buzz "offering" that is just that -- NONSENSE. Unless Buzz is placing a National Letter of Intent in front of a ninth grader, then all Buzz is doing is providing an "indication of interest." An indication of interest may be an implied contract between coach and ballplayer, but the reality is that no court in the land including the court of the NCAA is likely to enforce it.

Lets suppose that Buzz offers Phenom T. Star  a Marquette scholarship. And lets assume the young Mr. Star is in eighth grade (are you listening Tommy Crean). And two years later, Mr. Star goes to high school and can't hit the broad side of a barn with his one-inch vertical leap jump shot. In fact, he turns out to be so slow that my cocker spaniel can run rings around him. You think Buzz is going to honor that?

About the only silly thing in the whole 8th and 9th grade stories is that college coaches are spending time at that level. The talent is too raw, the kids too unpredictable and the parents still worried about their "babies."

That's why I am less than overly upset about overcommitting. Lots of kids say lots of things. A young basketball phenom may say he's coming to Marquette in his junior year, leading up to his signing of a National Letter of Intent, but until that letter is banked, he's still a free agent. You think that if Roy Williams had a sudden need for a guard and one of our recruits fit the bill, the recruit wouldn't somehow begin to think of North Carolina?

Of course he would!

The point is that Marquette is only overcommitted if it grants more scholarships than it legally is entitled to grant. We inevitably know there will be what mortgage bankers call "pipeline fallout" and I applaud Buzz for ensuring he's got options to put a great team on the floor.

MUCam

• All American
Re: "Offers"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »
Huh?

I thought "offers" and "overcommittment" had something to do with my most recent visit to Amsterdam's Red Light District.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 04:07:17 PM »
Huh?

I thought "offers" and "overcommittment" had something to do with my most recent visit to Amsterdam's Red Light District.

Nope, that's either over-indulgence or over-excitement.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »
Huh?

Great... now we're ALL at risk here.  Please, please, please get tested...!
Relax. Respect the Process.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
Great... now we're ALL at risk here.  Please, please, please get tested...!

why are you sleeping with MU Cam?  is he a chick too, like skat?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:12:18 PM »
why are you sleeping with MU Cam?  is he a chick too, like skat?

Internet Transmitted Diseases are no laughing matter, ZFB.

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool:

Relax. Respect the Process.

feedback