[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: And another...now the BBC...at least they finally admit it  (Read 19308 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
And another...now the BBC...at least they finally admit it
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:47:16 PM »
Just remember, the media isn't liberal.   ::)

Per the London Times today

The BBC, the British Broadcasting Corporation, has acknowledged the network is biased toward the left, following a report commissioned by the company. A yearlong probe revealed the corporation especially partial in its treatment of single-issue politics such as climate change, poverty, race and religion, according to the London Times.

Snip

A seminar on staff impartiality held last year is documented, with officials admitting they would broadcast images of the Bible being thrown away, but not the Koran for fear of offending Muslims.

Snip

Acknowledges failure to offer debate due to inherent liberal culture of staff.

Snip

"It concludes that the bias has extended across drama, comedy and entertainment, with the corporation pandering to politically motivated celebrities and trendy causes," the paper said.

Pakuni

• All American
Re: And another...now the BBC...at least they finally admit it
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:09:39 AM »
Just remember, the media isn't liberal.   ::)

Per the London Times today

The BBC, the British Broadcasting Corporation, has acknowledged the network is biased toward the left, following a report commissioned by the company. A yearlong probe revealed the corporation especially partial in its treatment of single-issue politics such as climate change, poverty, race and religion, according to the London Times.

Snip

A seminar on staff impartiality held last year is documented, with officials admitting they would broadcast images of the Bible being thrown away, but not the Koran for fear of offending Muslims.

Snip

Acknowledges failure to offer debate due to inherent liberal culture of staff.

Snip

"It concludes that the bias has extended across drama, comedy and entertainment, with the corporation pandering to politically motivated celebrities and trendy causes," the paper said.

One of these days you're going to admit that there's a helluva lot more media out there than the New York Times, NPR and BBC. And that the vast majority of people don't get their news from said outlets. (see: WSJ vs. NYT circulation figures or FoxNews vs CNN ratings)
Maybe not today. Probably not tomorrow either. But eventually you'll see the light.
The truth shall set you free.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:12:16 AM by Pakuni »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:50:07 AM »
My favorite quip came from the Sunday Times today....we can relate, PBS pulls the same bullcrap here in the States.

There are some things you do not need an official report to tell you - that John Prescott thinks he is a babe magnet, that President Mugabe is not entirely in favour of white farmers and that Al-Qaeda takes a pretty dim view of the West. The report commissioned by the BBC into itself concluded with something equally blindingly obvious. It said that the organisation is institutionally biased and especially gullible to the blandishments of politically driven celebrities, such as Bono and Bob Geldof. Almost anyone in Britain could have told the BBC that for free, but maybe it’s better to have it in an official report.

All media organisations are biased and that applies especially to newspapers. But our bias is openly declared. If readers want different views they have no compulsion to pay and can go elsewhere. The BBC is in a different category; everyone has to pay for it and it is in the tricky position of being founded to be free from bias...............But what emerges from the report is a picture of an organisation with a liberal, anti-American bias and an almost teenage fascination with fashionable causes.

The BBC is a self-perpetuating liberal arts club. Recruitment is the key. It needs to employ more nonconformist journalists whose paper of choice is not The Guardian.

All those in favor of ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, PBS, FNC, the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, USA Today, Reuters, and the Associated Press undergoing the same self-examination with full disclosure say “aye.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article1942930.ece
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:51:44 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 07:21:38 AM »
Nay!

Ah Chicos! We finally found common ground on the Apple dual-boot thing!

Heres the thing -- and after an initial round of fighting, I've managed to stay out of this completely -- don't think, for eve a second, that any of the liberals on this board can't do the same thing you repeatedly do. I can go to any liberal blog or "news" site and find a zillion (very technical number) similar examples of how the media is actually conservative. What does it prove?
Per the London Times today...
My favorite quip came from the Sunday Times...
Have you read the report or are you relying on other (possibly biased) sources?
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
Nay!

Ah Chicos! We finally found common ground on the Apple dual-boot thing!

Heres the thing -- and after an initial round of fighting, I've managed to stay out of this completely -- don't think, for eve a second, that any of the liberals on this board can't do the same thing you repeatedly do. I can go to any liberal blog or "news" site and find a zillion (very technical number) similar examples of how the media is actually conservative. What does it prove?
Per the London Times today...
My favorite quip came from the Sunday Times...
Have you read the report or are you relying on other (possibly biased) sources?

That's great...please do.  What I will find insteresting, however, is that there are no major studies making that claim...none that I'm aware of.  Yet I can put forward about 25 in the next 10 minutes done by universities, political companies, non-partisan groups, etc that claim most media members are liberal and many news outlets are liberal.

If you have studies that show differently, then please....produce them.   ;D

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 02:58:23 PM »
All one has to do is listen to how the national media presents the news-----almost always commenting on a situation with the glass half full for the liberals and half empty for conservatives.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 07:18:23 AM »
Chicos: Calling your bluff. Find me 25 unbiased reports that call the media reporting liberal. Reporters being liberal doesn't count so long as the news they report is unbiased. Find me those studies.

Murf: We've had this argument before, and you don't care what anyone else says. Your assessment is biased and fails to take into account any current or historical leanings of the nation as a whole. The news caters to the majority, and right now the majority of Americans dislike the direction of the country and the major architects of that direction are conservative. That said, I still disagree. I think the news is far too conservative, even today, so I guess it all depends were you start from.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
AYE!! 

My God, Nathan, if the 'news' caters to anyone, it's no longer 'the news'..., it becomes opinion or editorial.  That's the problem with the liberal media.  We need fair, even-handed reporting of the news.  In order to get any kind of conservative print media you have to pick up a copy of Forbes, and I hardly rely on it for 'the news'.  Unfortunately, I have a problem finding any source I can rely on for fair reporting, and have to endure the bias and smears of the popular media, mixed in w/ some blatant conservative reporting to get the actual story.  The saddest of all is NPR used to be my constant companion, and I can only take it in little bits now(amazing how a publicly-funded radio program can exhibit such bias to the left w/o repercussion..., while a bias to the right would result in multiple firings and inquiries).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 12:36:56 PM »
Chicos: Calling your bluff. Find me 25 unbiased reports that call the media reporting liberal. Reporters being liberal doesn't count so long as the news they report is unbiased. Find me those studies.

Murf: We've had this argument before, and you don't care what anyone else says. Your assessment is biased and fails to take into account any current or historical leanings of the nation as a whole. The news caters to the majority, and right now the majority of Americans dislike the direction of the country and the major architects of that direction are conservative. That said, I still disagree. I think the news is far too conservative, even today, so I guess it all depends were you start from.

This will be fun....a little later today I will be happy to do this.  In the meantime, a few appetizers for you.

Walter Kronkite  "Most of us reporters are liberal"
Source:  Walter Kronkite on CNN's Larry King.

Walter Kronkite  "Everybody knows that there's a liberal, that there's a heavy liberal persuasion among correspondents.....Anybody who has to live with the people, who covers police stations, covers county courts, brought up that way, has to have a degree of humanity that people who do not have that exposure don't have, and some people interpret that to be liberal. It's not a liberal, it's humanitarian and that's a vastly different thing."

Source: Cronkite at the March 21, 1996 Radio & TV Correspondents Dinner.

ABC News political director Mark Halperin supports the concept of a liberal media bias, saying that as individuals most journalists, and news producers, hold liberal political views and that these views affect their reporting.
Source:  http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/Transcript_Page.aspx?ContentGuid=45b91780-4b5d-48ff-85a3-5c03f3f6119f

A 2002 study by Dr. Jim A. Kuypers of Dartmouth College, Press Bias and Politics, investigated the issue of media bias. In this study of 116 mainstream US papers, including The New York Times, the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle, Kuypers found that the mainstream press in America tends to favor liberal viewpoints.  They found that reporters expressed moderate or conservative points of view were often labeled as holding a minority point of view. Kuypers said he found liberal bias in reporting a variety of issues including race, welfare reform, environmental protection, and gun control.

Source:  Press Bias and Politics: How the Media Frame Controversial Issues

In a survey conducted by the American Society of Newspaper Editors in 1997, 61% of reporters stated that they were members of or shared the beliefs of the Democratic Party. Only 15% say their beliefs were best represented by the Republican Party.

Source:  ASNE Report

And on and on.

By the way, just read what Walter Cronkite has to say over the years and tell me how those views DID NOT creep into his reporting. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:39:20 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 12:39:34 PM »
Nathan-----A large part of the drift to the left was caused by the media----they try to make public opinion not follow it!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 12:42:15 PM »

This will be fun....a little later today I will be happy to do this.  In the meantime, a few appetizers for you.

Walter Kronkite  "Most of us reporters are liberal"
Source:  Walter Kronkite on CNN's Larry King.

Walter Kronkite  "Everybody knows that there's a liberal, that there's a heavy liberal persuasion among correspondents.....Anybody who has to live with the people, who covers police stations, covers county courts, brought up that way, has to have a degree of humanity that people who do not have that exposure don't have, and some people interpret that to be liberal. It's not a liberal, it's humanitarian and that's a vastly different thing."

Source: Cronkite at the March 21, 1996 Radio & TV Correspondents Dinner.

ABC News political director Mark Halperin supports the concept of a liberal media bias, saying that as individuals most journalists, and news producers, hold liberal political views and that these views affect their reporting.
Source:  http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/Transcript_Page.aspx?ContentGuid=45b91780-4b5d-48ff-85a3-5c03f3f6119f

A 2002 study by Dr. Jim A. Kuypers of Dartmouth College, Press Bias and Politics, investigated the issue of media bias. In this study of 116 mainstream US papers, including The New York Times, the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle, Kuypers found that the mainstream press in America tends to favor liberal viewpoints.  They found that reporters expressed moderate or conservative points of view were often labeled as holding a minority point of view. Kuypers said he found liberal bias in reporting a variety of issues including race, welfare reform, environmental protection, and gun control.

Source:  Press Bias and Politics: How the Media Frame Controversial Issues

In a survey conducted by the American Society of Newspaper Editors in 1997, 61% of reporters stated that they were members of or shared the beliefs of the Democratic Party. Only 15% say their beliefs were best represented by the Republican Party.

Source:  ASNE Report

And on and on.

By the way, just read what Walter Cronkite has to say over the years and tell me how those views DID NOT creep into his reporting. 

I suggest you re-read the challenge. He very clearly stated that examples of reporters holding personal views that were more liberal than conservative do not count. Rather, he is asking for examples of actual widespread, systemic bias.

Try as you might to show otherwise, the two are not by definition synonymous.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 12:46:04 PM »
Nathan-----A large part of the drift to the left was caused by the media----they try to make public opinion not follow it!

Interesting.
But for your argument to logicially sustain, you then must also believe that between 1994 and 2006, the media was conservative and reported the news in a manner biased in favor of conservatives.
How else can we explain the public's drift to the right that led to Republicans controlling both chambers of Congress and eventually the Executive Branch?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 12:51:45 PM »
I read it just fine Pakuni, I said those were just appetizers.  You guys feel that these people that keep their beliefs out of their reporting which is complete bullcrap.  That's why I posted it.  Mark Halperin of ABC News says exactly that, it effects their reporting.

One needs to just read some of the comments of Kronkite over the years in his beliefs and the look at his reporting to know why he reported the way he did.  These people are human beings and they are not capable of doing this, no matter how many times they want people to believe this.  They aren't super-human, they're human!  Whether it is outright blatant bias in what they report, or subtle bias in what they CHOOSE to report vs what they choose NOT to report.  One needs to view the Iraqi war coverage as exhibit A.

If you believe they can report without having their personal beliefs creep in, I have some great property for you to look at that is priced just right.   ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 01:07:43 PM »

Interesting.
But for your argument to logicially sustain, you then must also believe that between 1994 and 2006, the media was conservative and reported the news in a manner biased in favor of conservatives.
How else can we explain the public's drift to the right that led to Republicans controlling both chambers of Congress and eventually the Executive Branch?

Except that the GOP didn't control both chambers of Congress from 1994 to 2006 (the Dems took control briefly in 2001 with party switchovers...Leffords).  And in the years the GOP did, they had what...a +5 vote lead in the Senate at high times but usually +2 or +3 (i.e. 53 Senators).

Let's not forget that the Dems dominated Congress for 40 years leading up until 1994....and coincidentally, that was on the heels of conservative views finally being heard throughout the country after Reagan's 8 years and after Goldwater had planted the seeds earlier.  Talk radio and conservative views have been a great counterbalance to a news media that is largely liberal...just ask Papa Walter Kronkite...or the BBC....or Dan Rather....or Bernie Goldberg....or many of the studies I will post later today.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 01:39:52 PM »
I read it just fine Pakuni, I said those were just appetizers.  You guys feel that these people that keep their beliefs out of their reporting which is complete bullcrap.  That's why I posted it.  Mark Halperin of ABC News says exactly that, it effects their reporting.

One needs to just read some of the comments of Kronkite over the years in his beliefs and the look at his reporting to know why he reported the way he did.  These people are human beings and they are not capable of doing this, no matter how many times they want people to believe this.  They aren't super-human, they're human!  Whether it is outright blatant bias in what they report, or subtle bias in what they CHOOSE to report vs what they choose NOT to report.  One needs to view the Iraqi war coverage as exhibit A.

If you believe they can report without having their personal beliefs creep in, I have some great property for you to look at that is priced just right.   ;D

OK, Chico's. What's the basis for your statement that it is "complete bullcrap" that people can report news without their personal beliefs creeping in? Upon which study is this based?
It's certainly not any of the links above, because I've read them all now and nowhere does any of them say anything close to that.

Regardless, I'm curious ... does this inability to remain objective despite one's personal beliefs extend to all professions, or just those in the media?

Does a baseball umpire who grew up a Yankees fan go out of his way to make poor calls against the Red Sox?
Does an NFL coach who grew up a Cowboys fan secretly sabotage his own team when he plays against Dallas?
Is a conservative judge inherently biased against some legal arguments?
Does a Republican high school teacher mislead his students?

Or is the unique disease afflict only those in the media?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 01:42:29 PM »

Interesting.

Except that the GOP didn't control both chambers of Congress from 1994 to 2006 (the Dems took control briefly in 2001 with party switchovers...Leffords).  And in the years the GOP did, they had what...a +5 vote lead in the Senate at high times but usually +2 or +3 (i.e. 53 Senators).

Let's not forget that the Dems dominated Congress for 40 years leading up until 1994....and coincidentally, that was on the heels of conservative views finally being heard throughout the country after Reagan's 8 years and after Goldwater had planted the seeds earlier.  Talk radio and conservative views have been a great counterbalance to a news media that is largely liberal...just ask Papa Walter Kronkite...or the BBC....or Dan Rather....or Bernie Goldberg....or many of the studies I will post later today.

Sorry, can't have it both ways.

If, as Murff claims, the leftward swing of the nation is the result of media bias, one of two things must be happening:

1. Similar bias toward the right is responsible for the rightward swing of the mid 90s.
2. The mainstream media, which you consistently deride as becoming less and less influential, is far more powerful than it's ever been.

So, which is it?

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 03:34:35 PM »
The move to the right in the 1980s and 90s was because of Ronald Reagan----and the emergence of the talk shows (Rush Limbaugh, Charlie Sykes, etc) and Fox, which pushed conservatism despite the usual from the national news media.

The move to the left is caused by the war----people don't like prolonged wars which seem stalemated (national news media has helped with that a great deal with daily body counts and accentuating only the negative-----making it seem like it's impossible to win)----but people had better get used to it----the war against Islamic facism may go on for decades.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 03:50:04 PM »

Interesting.

Sorry, can't have it both ways.

If, as Murff claims, the leftward swing of the nation is the result of media bias, one of two things must be happening:

1. Similar bias toward the right is responsible for the rightward swing of the mid 90s.
2. The mainstream media, which you consistently deride as becoming less and less influential, is far more powerful than it's ever been.

So, which is it?

It's not that simple...are you really suggesting only 2 things must be happening?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »
It's not that simple...are you really suggesting only 2 things must be happening?

I'm suggesting that in order for Murff's theory to hold true, one of those two, if not both, must be occurring. You can't claim the mainstream media is capable of shifting the political stance of the American public and at the same time argue that the influence of the mainstream media has waned significantly. The two arguments are mutually exclusive.

For the record, I don't believe Murff's theory is true.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 07:53:47 PM »
Pakuni...this is why I say it's Bullcrap.

Or read any of Bernard Goldberg's books and he tells us the same thing, these people are human and as human beings even if they tell you until the day they die that they keep their personal beliefs out of their articles, they simply don't.  Goldberg hammers home that they might not do it intentionally, but it becomes part of their every day culture.  What to report on, how to report it, etc. 

etc, etc, etc, etc

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 09:45:58 PM »
Pakuni, I'm sorry you got dragged into this....

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 10:07:34 PM »
CANNIBAL RESTAURANT

A cannibal was walking through the jungle and came upon a restaurant
operated by a fellow cannibal.   Feeling somewhat hungry, he sat down   
and looked over the menu...

+  Broiled Missionary: $10.00
+  Fried Explorer: $15.00
+  Grilled Republican: $20.00
+  Baked Democrat:  $100.00

The cannibal called the cook over and asked,  'Why such a price   
difference for the Democrat?'

The cook replied, "Have you ever tried to clean  one?  They're so   
full of crap, it takes all morning."   ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 10:19:33 PM »
Pakuni, I'm sorry you got dragged into this....

I assure you...Pakuni wasn't dragged into it.  Pakuni is staunch defender of the media's independence from bias and I respect his staunch support, though I disagree with him on it.  It's one of his siren songs, he would have been here as soon as this topic came up....nothing wrong with it.

Ziggy...that's a great joke...my guess is there is an exact replica with the Republican at $100 and the Democrat at $20...nevertheless I enjoyed it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 02:00:50 AM »
OK Nathan....here are your studies

Not in any order, you can rip their findings all you want...but these are the conclusions they came too.

1)  UCLA - University of Missouri Joint Study - 2005.   "Overall, the major media outlets are quite moderate compared to members of Congress, but even so, there is a quantifiable and significant bias in that nearly all of them lean to the left," said co‑author Jeffrey Milyo, University of Missouri economist and public policy scholar.  "Our results show a very significant liberal bias"

Source:  Quarterly Journal of Economics

2)  2004 study by Lott and Hasset State University of NY, Binghamton.  Recorded whether the headlines of various economic news stories are positive or negative.  American newspapers tend to give more positive news coverage to the same economic news when Democrats are in the Presidency than for Republicans. When GDP growth is reported, Republicans received between 16 and 24 percentage point fewer positive stories for the same economic numbers than Democrats. For durable goods for all newspapers, Republicans received between 15 and 25 percentage points fewer positive news stories than Democrats. For unemployment, the difference was between zero and 21 percentage points.

Source: Is Newspaper Coverage of Economic Events Politically Biased? October 19, 2004

3)  American Society of Newspaper Editors 1997 - "61% of reporters stated that they were members of or shared the beliefs of the Democratic Party. Only 15% say their beliefs were best represented by the Republican Party."

Source:  American Society of Newspaper Editors website.  Link here.  http://www.asne.org/kiosk/reports/97reports/journalists90s/journalists.html

4)  Dartmouth College -2002.  A 2002 study by Dr. Jim A. Kuypers of Dartmouth College, Press Bias and Politics, investigated the issue of media bias. In this study of 116 mainstream US papers, including The New York Times, the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle, Kuypers found that the mainstream press in America tends to favor liberal viewpoints. They found that reporters expressed moderate or conservative points of view were often labeled as holding a minority point of view. Kuypers said he found liberal bias in reporting a variety of issues including race, welfare reform, environmental protection, and gun control.

Source:  Dartmouth College Study published in the book Press Bias and Politics: How the Media Frame Controversial Issues released in 2002

5)  In 1981, S. Robert Lichter, then with George Washington University, and Stanley Rothman of
Smith College, released a groundbreaking survey of 240 journalists at top media outlets —
including the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Time, Newsweek, U.S. News &
World Report, ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS — on their political attitudes and voting patterns. The data showed journalists hold liberal positions on a wide range of social and political issues. "More than four-fifths of the journalists interviewed voted for the Democratic presidential
candidate in every election between 1964 and 1976 by an average of 86% to 14%."

Source:  The Media Elite published in 1981

6)  1992 Indiana University professors David H. Weaver and G. Cleveland Wilhoit
surveyed 1,410 journalists who “work for a wide variety of daily and weekly newspapers, radio
and television stations, news services and magazines throughout the United States.” The results in the Fall 1992 Media Studies Journal, they found journalists were more liberal, more Democratic, more in favor of legalized abortion and less religious than the public at large.
"  47% called themselves liberal to just 22% as conservative.

Source:  Fall 1992 Media Studies Journal

7) 1995 replication of Lichter study.  Found similar results 14 years later.  Study done by Rothman and Black.    "More than three out of four “elite journalists,” 76 percent, reported voting for Michael
Dukakis in 1988; an even larger percentage, 91 percent, cast ballots for Bill Clinton in 1992."
  They found the media elite held strongly liberal views on abortion, homosexuality, and a range of economic issues. “Despite the discrediting of centrally planned economies produced by the collapse of the Soviet Union and other Communist regimes, attitudes about government control of the economy have not changed very much since the 1980s.

8)  In April 1996, the Freedom Forum published a report by Chicago Tribune writer Elaine Povich
titled, “Partners and Adversaries: The Contentious Connection Between Congress and the Media.”
Buried in Appendix D was the real news for those concerned about media bias: Based on the 139
Washington bureau chiefs and congressional correspondents who returned the Freedom Forum
questionnaire, the Washington-based reporters — by an incredible margin of nine-to-one —
overwhelmingly cast their presidential ballots in 1992 for Democrat Bill Clinton over Republican
incumbent George Bush.
  Asked “How would you characterize your political orientation?” 61 percent said “liberal” or “liberal to moderate.” Only nine percent labeled themselves “conservative” or “moderate to conservative.”

Source: “Partners and Adversaries: The Contentious Connection Between Congress and the Media.” 1996

9) July/August 2001 Kaiser Family Foundation poll of 301 “media professionals,” 300 “policymakers” and the 1,206 members of the public. The media professionals included “reporters and editors from top newspapers, TV and radio networks, news services and news magazines.” The results showed that “only a tiny fraction of the media identifies itself as either Republican (4%), or conservative (6%),” placing reporters far to the left of media consumers. Four times as many “media professionals” told the pollsters they considered themselves “liberal” (25 percent) than called themselves “conservative” (6 percent). Among the general public, self-identified conservatives outnumbered liberals, 38 percent to 21 percent.

Source: July/August 2001 edition of the Roper Center’s Public Perspective, Washington Post

10)  May 2004 Pew study with polling done by Princeton Research.  Five times more national journalists identify themselves as “liberal” (34 percent) than “conservative” (just 7 percent). 

Reporters struggled to name a liberal news organization. According to Pew, “The New York Times was most often mentioned as the national daily news organization that takes a decidedly
liberal point of view, but only by 20% of the national sample.”....Journalists did see ideology at one outlet: “The single news outlet that strikes most journalistsas taking a particular ideological stance — either liberal or conservative — is Fox News Channel,”Pew reported. More than two-thirds of national journalists (69 percent) tagged FNC as aconservative news organization, followed by The Washington Times (9 percent) and The Wall Street Journal (8 percent).

Source:  May 2004, the Pew Research Center for The People and The Press (in association with the
Project for Excellence in Journalism and the Committee of Concerned Journalists)

11)  In March and April 2005, the University of Connecticut’s Department of Public Policy surveyed
300 journalists nationwide — 120 who worked in the television industry and 180 who worked at
newspapers — and asked for whom they voted in the 2004 presidential election. In a report
released May 16, 2005, the researchers disclosed that the journalists they surveyed selected
Democratic challenger John Kerry over incumbent Republican President George W. Bush by a
wide margin, 52 percent to 19 percent (with one percent choosing far-left independent candidate
Ralph Nader).
  The general election saw 52% of the populace selecting Bush...almost 3X the amount that "non-biased" journalists divulged.

Source:  March and April 2005, the University of Connecticut’s Department of Public Policy

12)  Patterson and Donsbach study concluded from their survey that “Indeed journalists typically deny the existence of this bias, claiming that their decisions are premised solely on professional norms. There is, as a consequence, a perceptual gap between journalists’ self-image and their actions, and it leads them to reject any suggestion that they are politically biased.”

Source:  Bernard Goldberg's book Bias page 466.

13) Northwestern University - June 2004.  Prof. William Mayer of Northwestern found through his research that conservatives gravitate to talk radio because it is overwhelmingly conservative.  “Liberals, in short, do not need talk radio. They already have Dan Rather, Peter Jennings, and Tom Brokaw — not to mention NPR.” 

Source:   The Public Interest, Summer 2004 edition

14) Study Shows U.S. Election Coverage Harder on Bush

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. media coverage of last year's election was three times more likely to be negative toward President Bush than Democratic challenger John Kerry, according to a study released Monday.

The annual report by a press watchdog that is affiliated with Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism said that 36 percent of stories about Bush were negative compared to 12 percent about Kerry, a Massachusetts senator.

Only 20 percent were positive toward Bush compared to 30 percent of stories about Kerry that were positive, according to the report by the Project for Excellence in Journalism.

15)  Liberal media not just American phenomena.  Canadian study by two Ryerson University profs find similar findings as American researchers.  "But beyond that, Barber and Rauhala also found that the most influential person in Canadian TV newsrooms -- both public and private sector -- in determining how political news is covered, is a Liberal voter almost half the time. By contrast, he or she is (was) a supporter of the former Alliance party, with which Conservative Leader Stephen Harper is most closely identified, only one time in 10. And at the CBC, zero times in 10.  It found that 45.8% of all Canadian television news directors surveyed in 2002 said they were Liberal voters. By contrast, only 14.6% said they were Progressive Conservative voters, 10.4%" 

Source:  Canadian Journal of Communication May issue 2005

16) Los Angeles Times Media survey 1985 - 2700 journalists surveyed from 621 newspapers.  On 15 of the 16 questions asked, the media members answers were further left of center then the general population.  55% said they were liberal, 21% said conservative.

Source:  Los Angeles Times Media Survey 1985

17)  1988 Poll by Journalist and Financial Reporting.  151 reporters from 30 publications studied.  54% identified themselves as Democrats, 9% as Republicans.  52% rated Reagan's presidency as poor or below average while the general public rated him favorably by 64%.

Source:  Journalist and Financial Reporting 1988

18)   May 2005 the Annenberg Public Policy Center and the Annenberg Foundation Trust at Sunnylands commissioned  a poll of 673 journalists, including 424 from newspapers, 48 from broadcast and cable networks, 47 from top-50-market local television stations, 45 from Web sites, 41 from other television stations, 26 from national radio networks, 18 from wire services, 14 from top-50-market local radio stations and 10 from magazines. A total of 31 percent described themselves as “very liberal” or “liberal” compared to just nine percent who identified themselves as “very conservative” or “conservative,” with 49 percent maintaining they are “moderate.”

Going to bed...will finish up the rest for you tomorrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 07:50:39 AM »
Chico's ... none of thoise examples, except the first (which has been widely discredited) and the third claim to have found actual bias. Rather, they state that some members of the media tend to have more liberal personal viewpoints than conservative viewpoints.
Once again, this is not synonymous with bias. You continue to make the false assumption that because Journalist A is a Democrat, then Journalist A cannot write/read/produce an unbiased story. This is not true.