Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nolan to UConn  (Read 6722 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Nolan to UConn
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:11:34 PM »
Phil Nolan, 2012, just tweeted that he's going to UConn...didn't see that coming.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
Re: Nolan to UConn
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
I hate to say I told ya so. But I told ya so. If hes good enough to play for Calhoun he's definately good enough to play here.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »
I hate to say I told ya so. But I told ya so. If hes good enough to play for Calhoun he's definately good enough to play here.

Good luck to him.

There's a difference of being good enough to play somewhere and good fit.  Not saying Phillip is a bad kid at all, but you have to have the right mindset to play at Marquette and not everyone has that mindset.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:18:38 PM »

Everything that's wrong with America's youth is in this post.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
He'll compete for playing time, nobody except Daniels left on front line.  But, won't see NCAA's either next year.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
Big miss on our part IMO. Think he has great upside potential and fit our style of play. Find losing him a bit troublesome because of the Milwaukee connection that is in place.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »
Quite honestly, I'm not even sure Marquette was that involved at this point and I'm not being a homer or saying Buzz can get any kid he wants.  I just never felt Marquette was all in for Phillip. 

He has potential and it will be all up to him to see how much he plays at UConn.  Hope he does well.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »

Well put.  Why is UConn missing the NCAA tournament again?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »
Big miss on our part IMO. Think he has great upside potential and fit our style of play. Find losing him a bit troublesome because of the Milwaukee connection that is in place.

Actually, there is no evidence that MU "lost him", or at least that we didn't want to.  No evidence either way, really.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
It is too bad..Coach Watts wanted him to come here and have Aaron as his mentor for one year.  But the opportunity to play right away for a program like UCONN was too much to resist.  Best of luck..

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 01:39:17 PM »

But he said he "HATED" to say it.

Enter Jaleel McKay?

leever

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
It is too bad..Coach Watts wanted him to come here and have Aaron as his mentor for one year.  But the opportunity to play right away for a program like UCONN was too much to resist.  Best of luck..

Say what?  Would that be Hank Aaron?

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
Big miss on our part.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »
LittleMurs
We did offer him didn't we? My thoughts are more in bigger picture and would liked to have another local kid, especially one that is fan of program.

Warriors69

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »
not at all

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »
If you could only have two of the three of Duane Wilson, Deonte Burton, and Philip Nolan... well, think Buzz did quite allright.  We're not going to get every single MKE area recruit, and I think our connection is fine.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »
Lab
I think we are going to have next to impossible chance on Looney and who knows about Stone. Would like to see the Milwaukee connection get tighter before Looney and Stone are college bound.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 02:10:16 PM »
Say what?  Would that be Hank Aaron?

Sorry, got Locketts confused..showing my age..meant Trent.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 02:18:47 PM »
Lab
I think we are going to have next to impossible chance on Looney and who knows about Stone. Would like to see the Milwaukee connection get tighter before Looney and Stone are college bound.

I understand where you're coming from; who wouldn't want to increase MU's chances of getting Looney and Stone anyway possible?  But... I have a hard time thinking that Nolan would go to UConn, if the MU option was open and attractive to him given what he would be expected to do.  Particularly, after the Durley decommit.  Had he come here and been unhappy, is MU worse off with Looney and Stone?  What, if he transfers?  Would the new academic standards been a challenge for him, given the number of high schools he's attended?  

I don't know squat, but still somehow I am at peace with this.  I just feel, if it was a good fit for both parties, he'd be here.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »
Little Murs
I have ZERO idea if academics played role in him going to UConn...but I sure hope not.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
Sorry, got Locketts confused..showing my age..meant Trent.

The program will have hit a real low point when MU has to take transfers to mentor its first year players.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »
Little Murs
I have ZERO idea if academics played role in him going to UConn...but I sure hope not.

I'm with you on both points.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »
Nolan was quoted as saying he wanted to go someplace where he could play a lot right away. Looking at our roster, don't think MU was that place.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »
Lab

I think Wilson and Burton being here and having success will help our chances with these guys significantly.  I know we've offered Stone, and he was teammates with Wilson--also significantly helpful.  

From what I've inferred about Looney, he seems like a long shot, but what the hell, why not keep after him?  This is Buzz recruiting, so I imagine he's doing everything possible.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »
Nolan was quoted as saying he wanted to go someplace where he could play a lot right away. Looking at our roster, don't think MU was that place.
Real question is if he'll get thru the Clearinghouse.

feedback