collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Milwaukee bars, bands, concerts, summerfest thread  (Read 28922 times)

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
Re: Milwaukee bars, bands, concerts, summerfest thread
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »
To be fair, it's changed quite a bit since Smiley took over.

Think last time I went was the last Summer I lived in Wisconsin -- 2009. Now I'm 4 hours away.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 01:03:49 PM »
Last time I went to Summerfest was 1990, but I don't live anywhere close to Milwaukee.

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
I guess the bands are more for the younger crowd this year 8-).... Because this is one of the only years since I've been of "drinking" age where I feel the need to be down there almost every night.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »
honest question for those who don't like Summerfest:

When was the last time you went to Summerfest?

Last year, twice. Once as commonfolk, once with deck passes, free beer, and private bathrooms.

Not sure I can go back to fighting crowds after that.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »
Last year, twice. Once as commonfolk, once with deck passes, free beer, and private bathrooms.

Not sure I can go back to fighting crowds after that.

Agree completely.  After living the good life you no longer want to fight through a bunch of chain smoking 14 year olds to get to everything.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
I guess the bands are more for the younger crowd this year 8-).... Because this is one of the only years since I've been of "drinking" age where I feel the need to be down there almost every night.

Looking forward to fun.?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »
We go every year at least one night and often 2-3.  And we live in the Chicago 'burbs although MKE remains my 'hometown'.  Summerfest has spent hundreds of millions to dramatically upgrade the grounds in the last 5-7 years.  The first new stage was Miller followed by Harley, Briggs and now the BMO Harris pavilion.  All represent huge upgrades.

Last year we enjoyed the Goo Goo Dolls among a large group of current MU students and had a great time.  I recall a couple of years ago when one could have seen 4-5 of the greatest living guitar players of all time over a few day span including Jeff Beck, Steve Howe, Eric Clapton, and BB King.  This year it'll be the farewell Scorpions tour mixed in with a little Texas weird beard action on Saturday, June 30th.

Summerfest truly remains an outstanding event.  And I agree with the notion that they've worked to maximize the experience by targeting 80,000 per day rather than the former 100,000 mob scene.

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2012, 06:53:01 PM »
Looking forward to fun.?

No thanks on fun.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Looking forward to fun.?

Better acts playing that day:

Morris Day and the M*thaF***ing Time
Cowboy Mouth
The Hives
Jimmy Cliff

I'd even consider putting Kellie Pickler ahead of the atrocity known as Fun. and their horrible horrible lead single "We are Young."

Every time I hear "We are Young" on the radio, I change the channel.  It's far more annoying than Carly Rae Jepsen ever could be.

Relax. Respect the Process.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
the old lady got us neil diamond tix.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
I guess everyone needs to take their cut.

"service" fees are getting outrageous.  If I worked for a band (they'd have to be a sellout the arena kind of band) I'd sell tickets to the show only on my website.  It seems like Ticketmaster is adding $25 on to a $40 show.

so your band would be called Pearl Jam?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
Better acts playing that day:

Morris Day and the M*thaF***ing Time
Cowboy Mouth
The Hives
Jimmy Cliff

Totally agree with you on that night's lineup.  I'm gonna be like a hummingbird going back-and-forth between the Hives and Jimmy Cliff shows.  I've already seen Cowboy Mouth and Morris Day a few times and they are both very entertaining.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »
anyone know of any deals to get into summerfest today on the cheaps? i know about the canned food drive to get in free, but won't be able to make it before 3:00, so thats out. I'd hate to drop $15 at the gate if there was a better way...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »
anyone know of any deals to get into summerfest today on the cheaps? i know about the canned food drive to get in free, but won't be able to make it before 3:00, so thats out. I'd hate to drop $15 at the gate if there was a better way...

Any official discounts would be listed on summerfest.com.

Otherwise, suck it up and pay the rack rate.  It's still a good deal.
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
months ago they gave away 45,000 free tickets good for today (we're going today as a result of that  :)) so I doubt they are giving away much else but like warriorchick posted all deals are listed

they used to have free admission until 3pm on opening day

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »
All weekdays are $9 before 4:00 pm.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2012, 05:25:34 PM »
Am I alone in thinking that Summerfest sucks? I'm surprised that so many posters are really excited for it.

You are not alone.  Last year was actually pretty solid, but this year is just awful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 08:00:13 AM »
You are not alone.  Last year was actually pretty solid, but this year is just awful.

Looking at the band lineups there are actually quite a few I would like to see... except I'm going today... where there are exactly ZERO other bands I want to see.  Looks like its a SSP and FF night, and a crap shoot during the day.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2012, 08:37:02 AM »
We watched Larry McCray at the new BMO stage at 7:30 last night. Since apparently 99% of the folks that got tickets for the blue section must have waited until after the fireworks to go to their seats the entire blue section was empty except for a few dozen people during McCray's show.

I wonder how the 7:30 acts are going to feel playing to the 1st 50 rows being empty. Oh, and Larry McCray kicked @ss as did Earl Slick with Phantom, Rocker & Slick at Potawatomie.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2012, 09:38:25 AM »

If you think this year's lineup is just awful, you either don't like music or you aren't familiar with many of the bands.  There is at least one or two really good acts every single night.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
If you think this year's lineup is just awful, you either don't like music or you aren't familiar with many of the bands.  There is at least one or two really good acts every single night.

Or you have a differing opinion on music.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »
If you think this year's lineup is just awful, you either don't like music or you aren't familiar with many of the bands. 

Exactly.  Not familiar with = awful.  Perhaps if I was there listening to some band I'd never heard of before, I'd like the music coming from the stage, sure.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »
We watched Larry McCray at the new BMO stage at 7:30 last night. Since apparently 99% of the folks that got tickets for the blue section must have waited until after the fireworks to go to their seats the entire blue section was empty except for a few dozen people during McCray's show.

I wonder how the 7:30 acts are going to feel playing to the 1st 50 rows being empty. Oh, and Larry McCray kicked @ss as did Earl Slick with Phantom, Rocker & Slick at Potawatomie.

I am not sure what the exact rules are, but since these seats are basically free, they should have a time that you have to be in your seat or it is up for grabs by the general public.  It isn't fair to reserve a seat that you don't intend to use.
Have some patience, FFS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
Or you have a differing opinion on music.

I always get a kick out of people trying to convince others that they need to like certain music/movies/TV show/etc.