Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's going on at UW-Madison?  (Read 18043 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: What's going on at UW-Madison?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2012, 12:01:10 AM »
I accept that players transfer.   I hope it works out for this kid.   The only thing that makes this interesting is the hypocrisy of the badger fans.   If the same thing happened at MU, it would of course be do some failing of the school or coach.   Here, it is obviously due to a failing of the player to appreciate the awesomeness around him.    And, if there should be a transfer from MU, that will be on full display. 

John Ellenson?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
Fair enough.  What about the restriction that he cannot transfer to a Big 12 school?  Big 10 is obvious as is Marquette, but another conference that you do not even play in?  Have never heard of Crean, Buzz, Calipari, or Calhoun pulling that one.

It was revealed yesterday the only Big 12 school is Iowa State.  He is leaving because he didn't want to play the 4 position, he wasn't run off.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2012, 11:25:46 AM »
few years back, Jeter was considering taking the ISU job but Bo talked him out of it over a few bud lights at bo's crib in Middleton.

I, too, am hitting the silver bullet tonight.
I believe the meeting at bo's house was between ISU and Jeter.  bo was in bed and his wife served up the Bud Light.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »
I believe the meeting at bo's house was between ISU and Jeter.  bo was in bed and his wife served up the Bud Light.

right.  it was a 7 pm meeting, iirc.

Bo usually watches wheel of fortune and then hits the hay.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »
Add the whole ACC and Marquette to Uthoff's restricted list.

Bo sure isn't making it easy for Jarrod to leave.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »
He's metaphorically saying to Ulthoff what he actually says to refs that offend him.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »
Non-educated guess here. Maybe Bo is seeing Iowa State's T.J. Otzelberger gain some momentum in WI recruiting. He hasn't landed any blue chippers yet, but it seems like he really works WI hard because he is from here. He played at Whitewater and was team captain. He got Christopherson and Korie Lucious to transfer there recently, and I thought I recall him getting a few more WI kids over the years. They have been put together a few solid teams recently. Maybe Bo doesn't want them gaining any more momentum.  Just a thought.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2012, 09:05:35 AM »
Otzelberger also got Diante Garrett from Milwaukee Vincent (All Big 12 second team) and Mike Taylor from Milwaukee Marshall (All Big 12 honorable mention).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »
The accepted wisdom seems to be that Bo doesn't want JU to go to a school that may appear on UW's schedule (B1G, MU, ACC) or to a school that competes with UW for recruits (ISU, B12).    The argument is flawed because who knows what D1 team that UW may face in the NIT, NCAA, or preseason tourneys.    No, this is a case where Bo's feelings are hurt and he is retaliating against a 19 year old kid.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2012, 09:14:04 AM »
The accepted wisdom seems to be that Bo doesn't want JU to go to a school that may appear on UW's schedule (B1G, MU, ACC) or to a school that competes with UW for recruits (ISU, B12).    The argument is flawed because who knows what D1 team that UW may face in the NIT, NCAA, or preseason tourneys.    No, this is a case where Bo's feelings are hurt and he is retaliating against a 19 year old kid.   

Every transfer has some restrictions on it and majority of them make sense.

This particular restriction list is looking exactly as you state......an adult throwing his toys out of the pram at the expense of a college kid's potential.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2012, 09:17:24 AM »
Is it just me or?

Does Hoopaloop question Buzz more than Crean or, especially Bo?  Seems to have some serious manlove for Bo.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »
Is it just me or?

Does Hoopaloop question Buzz more than Crean or, especially Bo?  Seems to have some serious manlove for Bo.

Nope, not by a long shot, many of us have noticed this.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2012, 09:22:53 AM »
Is it just me or?

To play devil's advocate...doesn't it make sense that our own coach is questioned more than the coaches of schools in a completely different conference? I get what people are saying, but I'm far more concerned with the job Buzz is doing than Crean or Bo. Granted, I'm pleased with the job Buzz is doing, but if I had issues, I think they'd be more discussion-worthy here than the other two.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2012, 09:24:11 AM »
From Bucky's Fifth Quarter website:

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/4/16/2952306/weekend-hoops-recap

"What we do know is that UW did not place widespread restrictions on Uthoff's destination, as once feared, though the inclusion of Iowa State has ruffled some feathers. (UPDATE: The entire ACC has been added to the no contact list after Virginia's Tony Bennett inquired about Uthoff.) Restricting in-state rival Marquette is standard procedure (MU does the same with UW) and a Big Ten conference rule forbids a transfer on scholarship to another member school.

One can only speculate as to why Wisconsin restricted a move to Iowa State. The Cyclones certainly recruit the state of Wisconsin very hard and hand out a lot of offers. The only logical explanation is that Bo Ryan and Co. have more than an inkling that someone connected with ISU program tampered with Uthoff in this case. Otherwise, the restriction appears a bit vindictive."  (bolding is the website's)

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »
To play devil's advocate...doesn't it make sense that our own coach is questioned more than the coaches of schools in a completely different conference? I get what people are saying, but I'm far more concerned with the job Buzz is doing than Crean or Bo. Granted, I'm pleased with the job Buzz is doing, but if I had issues, I think they'd be more discussion-worthy here than the other two.

I think that the issue is more about always taking the negative view of what Buzz is doing while consistently holding other coaches to a different (far lessor) standard, if not being an apologist on their behalf.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »
This ACC thing is a joke. Saw that this morning and just shook my head. Bo really is a vindictive ass. There's no other explanation at this point. Might as well tell the kid it's D2 or bust at this point.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
The kid has his sights on Northern Iowa (which is full) and Creighton.  There is a 90% he ends up at Creighton very soon.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »

I'm with you.  It just seems he goes out of his way to protect/compliment Bo and Crean.  I don't really care, to each their own.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
The kid has his sights on Northern Iowa (which is full) and Creighton.  There is a 90% he ends up at Creighton very soon.

So Bo's creating negative recruiting material just for the hell of it? Nice.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »
Non-educated guess here. Maybe Bo is seeing Iowa State's T.J. Otzelberger gain some momentum in WI recruiting. He hasn't landed any blue chippers yet, but it seems like he really works WI hard because he is from here. He played at Whitewater and was team captain. He got Christopherson and Korie Lucious to transfer there recently, and I thought I recall him getting a few more WI kids over the years. They have been put together a few solid teams recently. Maybe Bo doesn't want them gaining any more momentum.  Just a thought.

Uhtoff is from Iowa, not Wisconsin.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »
Is it just me or?

Once Crean left, Chicos and his minions  stopped hating on and ripping Bo. Overnight, he became St. Bo and his program became the one to emulate. The guns were turned inward, and Buzz was the bad guy for recruiting too many jucos and nontraditionals. As Chico's most trusted aid-de-camp, Hoop is now in charge of the defend/praise Bo and TC and question/rip Buzz narrative.

Bocephys

• All American

MUINGB

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
Well said lenny, I normally do not respond but I get tired of Hoop negative thoughts on Buzz.     I keep him on ignore for some time now.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »
Bilas talked about it on a quick short that showed on ESPNEWS on how the NCAA says they treat all athletes as students, but regular students aren't subject to transfer restrictions.  He then tweeted about it.

WHERE IS THE JS STORY ON THIS?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »

WHERE IS THE JS STORY ON THIS?

You joke, but let's get real. A coach earning over $2M year dictating where a kid can and cannot attend college to this extent is despicable - far more despicable than a few guys getting into a bar fight. Jay Bilas is absolutely correct on this and the way the college athletes who make them all their money are treated. They are the real villains in this, by even allowing a coach to create that list. I don't care if it's Bo Ryan or anybody else, it's complete BS.