Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Enlund's Blog] Police report says MU players involved in altercation  (Read 15883 times)

TomEnlundSays

Police report says MU players involved in altercation

A new Milwaukee Police report released Friday says six Marquette University basketball players were involved in an altercation on Jan. 29 at the Apt. 720 Club, a downtown Milwaukee nightclub where the six were ticketed for being underage minors.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/146453905.html

4everwarriors

• All American
Not again?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
Police report says MU players involved in altercation

A new Milwaukee Police report released Friday says six Marquette University basketball players were involved in an altercation on Jan. 29 at the Apt. 720 Club, a downtown Milwaukee nightclub where the six were ticketed for being underage minors.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/146453905.html

There, but for the grace of God, go I.  I was an "underage minor" once.  Fortunately, I was never ticketed.  My kids all are "underage minors" and I sincerely hope that they don't get ticketed.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

lab_warrior

• All American
YAWN.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
I remember when it was Eve.  I saw Latrell Sprewell and Dan Gadzuric one night.  Dan rolled up in a pimped out conversion van and promptly got into a fight with a dude who was 5 foot nothing and got taken to the ground before bouncers broke it up.  Good times.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Wow, the team took out 30 people at the same time, maybe Buzz should start making it as part of boot camp to toughen the guys up.

Such a dumb article. Obvious MPD is in some sort of CYA mode.  Queue up Michaels to start quoting all of his sources again.

I'm interested to see the fan reaction of Don Walker as he attends his next MU game. 4 stellar MU articles as of late. 3 on the gathering of black males at a club getting in an argument and 1 on the increase of merchandise sales in sweet 16 week.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:28:10 PM by dw3dw3dw3 »

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
YAWN.

Spot-on as usual........this is so ahhhhhh zzzzzzz
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Putting aside the underage drinking (minor deal) and potential fisticuffs (no one filed a complaint) .. the thing that irritates me most is .. once again, Marquette's reaction to not just come out with the damn story.  

It was just freaking inevitable that, with a spectacle like this, 30 people involved, a bar being shut down, 11 squads being called that of course, a record of the police report was going to be made public.

So when police report #1 comes out, instead of mentioning the altercation, MU sticks with "underage drinking" when they certainly knew it was more than that.  The media, and radio stations pounce with rumors worse than the truth.

Well, gosh, now police report #2 comes out and lays out the big picture and here we go, an unnecessary round #2 in the media where breathless media will report MU players being in an altercation -- which was inevitable, just could have come out in 1 news cycle instead of 2 .. which makes it look like MU was trying to hide the full story/cover it up.  

Oh, wait, here it is, Standard Operating Procedure, page 1.  

Queue the "well, what did you want them to say?" in 3...2..1...

CTWarrior

• All American
I chalk up the idea of being underage in a bar to "boys will be boys."  After all, I was 17 my entire first semester at MU and that never kept me from the campus bars and actually having a beer or 7.  So I never thought it was a big deal that they were in a bar, especially if they weren't drinking.  But you have to show better sense, knowing what has been going on with the program, than to get involved in a brawl that causes the police to be called.  And if they weren't involved in the brawl, I'm sure they had plenty of time to leave before police arrived.  Have to use your head a little better than that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
If I could read between the lines here, my impression of this incident was that the basketball players got involved with something that they didn't initiate, but they gave them the underage drinking tickets because they had some culpability for what went on.

And all I know is that none of this sh*t happened before Jake Thomas transferred here.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:12:49 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Lol
Thx Sultan. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Warriors4ever

• All American
I'n unclear - is this a "new" report as in the police just wrote it?  or a "new" report as in they are just releasing it?  
If they wrote a prior report on March 20 that made no mention of an "altercation" then what, they just found out about it, including from their own officers?  If they prepared reports that didn't mention something they witnessed and then added it in this long after, they wouldn't have much credibility on the witness stand. Being involved in an altercation also doesn't mean the players were agressors or at fault, so why even say that no one filed complaints against them.  Does the report name everyone else involved or just the players - no idea from this story.
If the only thing that came out of this was some tickets, then it wasn't much of an altercation.  And the only thing I would have expected the school to release was information regarding actual tickets and not conjecture or supposition.
I do agree that they need to show more common sense, though.

warriorchick

• All American

And all I know is that none of this sh*t happened before Jake Thomas transferred here.

Yeah, I knew the first time I laid eyes on him that he had "troublemaker" written all over him.
Have some patience, FFS.

Skitch

• All American
But, but, but...I thought DJO was there busting heads? Kickin ass and takin names? How did this story miss that?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Minor incident. Normally not a big deal.

Added to the stuff from last year, and MU is under increased scrutiny.

For now, and the immediate future, MU hoops needs to be doing it better and cleaner than the next guy.

Just the way it goes.

cheebs09

• All American
But, but, but...I thought DJO was there busting heads? Kickin ass and takin names? How did this story miss that?

Don't worry, I'm sure they are trying to stretch this into a 3-part series.

muguru

• All American

Badger fans on their boards know the whole story behind this....just ask them, and if they say that's what DJO was doing, then dammit, he was!
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Desert_warrior

• Scholarship Player
If there really were 30 people fighting and it took enough police resources to deplete their strength on this one event, wouldn't there have been a write up in the newspaper the next day or so? I would think that would have made the news and when it did, I would think they would have talked about the basketball players.

forgetful

• All American
The thing I find interesting is how small of a deal this really was, the players weren't even ticketed for underage drinking, but rather being underage in a club. 

4everwarriors

• All American
Yeah, I knew the first time I laid eyes on him that he had "troublemaker" written all over him.

You been reading too many Crean tweets
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
Putting aside the underage drinking (minor deal) and potential fisticuffs (no one filed a complaint) .. the thing that irritates me most is .. once again, Marquette's reaction to not just come out with the damn story.  

It was just freaking inevitable that, with a spectacle like this, 30 people involved, a bar being shut down, 11 squads being called that of course, a record of the police report was going to be made public.

So when police report #1 comes out, instead of mentioning the altercation, MU sticks with "underage drinking" when they certainly knew it was more than that.  The media, and radio stations pounce with rumors worse than the truth.

Well, gosh, now police report #2 comes out and lays out the big picture and here we go, an unnecessary round #2 in the media where breathless media will report MU players being in an altercation -- which was inevitable, just could have come out in 1 news cycle instead of 2 .. which makes it look like MU was trying to hide the full story/cover it up.  

Oh, wait, here it is, Standard Operating Procedure, page 1.  

Queue the "well, what did you want them to say?" in 3...2..1...

Well said.  This is what the media does, they keep stories alive with this stuff.  Mentioned it the other day.  

Two ways around it.

1)  The guys have to be smarter and not do this stuff and realize who they are
2)  For those who always gravitate to the Boys will be Boys argument, fine, but then the university should just get out in front of it and lay it on the table as Hilltopper suggests and not let the story keep growing legs time and time again when more details keep coming out.  That's the PR problem
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

madtownwarrior

• All American
Wow those guys are dickheads - I am not sure how, but 20 guys over there sure make you want to hate the Badgers.....

Badger fans on their boards know the whole story behind this....just ask them, and if they say that's what DJO was doing, then dammit, he was!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
They should have arrested and fired Al for brawling with his player.

/teal

Let MU and the police handle it. Done deal.

Fadger reporters are trying to "even" the score, taint the rep of the program.

But they have NOTHING on Badger misdemeanor...er...misbehavior.
SS Marquette

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Funny:  I thought Bill Michaels said that DJO put a player into a coma with a bottle????  No mention of DJO in the article.

Idiot Michaels

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Congrats, Marquette.  You made the news again tonight.