[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New browser choice - Apple's Safari for Windows...  (Read 9136 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
New browser choice - Apple's Safari for Windows...
« on: June 11, 2007, 06:13:41 PM »
Interesting - everyone wants to be king...

Apple offers Safari for Windows

Mon Jun 11, 2:38 PM ET

Apple Inc. (Nasdaq:AAPL - news) Chief Executive Steve Jobs on Monday said his company had created a version of its No. 3-ranked Web browser, Safari, for Windows users, aiming to gain share in the market for browsers.

Jobs said the company was set to begin offering a trial version of its new Safari browser for Windows XP and Vista computers to the public on Monday.

Jobs cited industry market data showing that Safari, which currently runs on the Apple Macintosh operating system, has 4.9 percent of the browser business. Microsoft's Internet Explorer has around 78 percent, while Firefox is second-largest with around 15 percent of the browser market.

"We would love for Safari's market share to grow substantially," Jobs said at a software developers conference, during a presentation in which he focused on new features in Apple's upcoming operating system software, called Leopard.

Get it here: http://www.apple.com/safari/

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: New browser choice - Apple's Safari for Windows...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »
Safari is great.  Minimalist design and very fast.  The occasional site will not play well with it, but I suspect this latest development will change that.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 05:50:46 AM »
I know this is an old argument but I'm getting close to buying a new computer. (I have a Toshiba laptop thinking about getting a Mac) People always tell me that a Mac is great but is it really worth all the software issues?  Meaning, I'd have to update some of my current software to the Mac version.
What do you think?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 08:14:31 AM »
Tell you what.  My wife uses a mac and i have a PC with vista.  I never run into compatibility issues with mozilla as our mac browser and my vista PC has several driver issues.

Macs look cool too.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 10:22:19 AM »
I know this is an old argument but I'm getting close to buying a new computer. (I have a Toshiba laptop thinking about getting a Mac) People always tell me that a Mac is great but is it really worth all the software issues?  Meaning, I'd have to update some of my current software to the Mac version.
What do you think?

muarmy - I switched a year ago and before I knew it I became a part of the fanatical apple community.   But, it's hard not to once you get in the water.   Software availability for Macs was once an issue, but not any more.  And if updating your current software is too expensive, you can now run Windows on Macs as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Way way way more software for the PC
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:14:40 PM »
What do you think?

Depends what you use your computer for.  If you're a gamer, then you're silly to go with a MAC.   In the old days if you were in graphic design, you would only go with a MAC but that has now changed as well as the PC does some wonderful things there.

I've had both, work with both currently....I have no slam dunk opinion on either one except for the gaming mention, which MAC just doesn't have it going for them (but that's not important for many people).  I have to disagree with the software mention by SoCal, however.  Mac has gotten better in that there is more software available then say 2 years ago, but the comparison between the two providers is still night and day different.   Go into any CompUSA (of the 200 stores they didn't close last week) or Best Buy or a Circuit City or any of the major online publishers and it's still overwhelming choice for PC users.  Only makes sense, they still dominate the market share.  It's not close in my opinion.  There are a couple of articles out right now about the still derth of wide ranging software available for the Mac.  Doesn't mean there aren't great programs, because there are.  Just not a large selection.  So where you might have 5 personal money programs for the PC (like Quicken, Money, etc) you might have 2 for the Mac.  That kind of thing.

Mac market share is about 4.4% in the USA....and that's up from 3.8% in 2005.  That might factor into your equation as well. 

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:22:27 PM »
Chicos may have missed my point.  You can run Windows on a Mac which means you can run any software on a Mac.  Can Dell or Toshiba or Vista run Mac software? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 05:34:48 PM »
Chicos may have missed my point.  You can run Windows on a Mac which means you can run any software on a Mac.  Can Dell or Toshiba or Vista run Mac software? 

Correct, I missed your point.  I thought you were talking about native software off the shelves.

However, it is important to note that you can run SOME Windows programs on a MAC, but not all.  Also some very good articles on those issues right now...mostly gamers that are upset that their games won't run properly or at all on the Mac emulation.  Not surprising, that happens with pretty much everything.  Some old DOS programs don't run on Windows, some old PS2 games don't run on PS3 even though they say they will.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 07:04:05 PM »
Yes, if you are a gamer, there is no comparison.  PCs rule.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 07:52:26 AM »
Not a gamer,
I'm really interested in the movie making and multimedia presentation options with the Mac as my wife and I have a new "warrior" on the way.  Along the lines of compatibility though, are there issues with MS Office documents.  If I work on a power point presentation or word document at the office (which is a windows based dell) will I have an issue if I try to edit or work on that document on my mac?  Or is an office document an office document regardless of which system it's being run on?

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 09:50:46 AM »
As long as you have MS Office for Mac, you can work with any MS Office for Windows doc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 11:37:30 AM »
Not a gamer,
I'm really interested in the movie making and multimedia presentation options with the Mac as my wife and I have a new "warrior" on the way.  Along the lines of compatibility though, are there issues with MS Office documents.  If I work on a power point presentation or word document at the office (which is a windows based dell) will I have an issue if I try to edit or work on that document on my mac?  Or is an office document an office document regardless of which system it's being run on?

Congratulations on the pending new warrior.  I do a ton of video editing stuff on my PC....it's come along way from the old days where PC's just couldn't compete.  Now, for the home personal computer user both platforms have amazing abilities to produce high quality videos with some terrific editing capabilities and feature rich products.  Best of luck

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 12:03:52 PM »
chicos, what do you use for video editing?  we just got a video camera but I have even put the sony software on the pc yet...not even sure what it involves.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »
chicos, what do you use for video editing?  we just got a video camera but I have even put the sony software on the pc yet...not even sure what it involves.

I've used several different programs.  I used to be a big fan of Ulead Studio but since Corel bought them out last year their customer service just stinks.  Very disappointed in the latest version because of that....hopefully they can turn that around because the products in the past were quite good.

If you want something very simple but has decent power to do some nice things with templates, then avsmedia has some very low cost but effective products.  Under $100.  Power Director and ShowbizDVD are quite good as well from what I've been told....both received very high ratings and under $100.  Adobe Premier Elements has been around forever on both Mac and PC, that product remains very good as well.

If you're into the more powerful stuff (like $900 or more) then I'd go with Adobe Production Studio

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 08:39:12 PM »
Just like to point out that you can dual boot Mac OS X and Windows, so you can run every piece of Windows software out there at native speeds (it isn't emulation, you are actually booting into Windows), given that the Mac you have meets the requirements of the software. You have to buy a license for Windows, though, and that adds cost.

My 2 cents...
I started using a Mac about 5 years ago, when OS X just came out. I used iMovie to create a short instructional video for Marquette and was really blown away by nicely everything came together. I think, for your average PC user, there is a slight learning curve. But for some people the experience just clicks.

The menu bar being on top (always) is hugely efficient, as it follows Fitts law (you can just whip your cursor up there without really aiming like you might on the menu of a Windows app not at full screen).

The dock offers large targets for single-click launching of apps. You can get a similar thing using QuickLaunch on the Windows start bar, but you won't get the "large target." The start menu has the edge in being able to organize your apps, but also requires at least 2 clicks to get to any program.

Some other cool stuff: OS-wide spell-checking (like, even in this text box here), Exposé for tiling and finding windows, Spotlight a pretty good search app, and print to PDF built in to the print dialog.

Most of this stuff you can get with XP or Vista, but, for the way I think, Apple just does it more intuitively.

As far as software goes, ever since I went mac for my main machine, I hated the "no software" mantra. Yes, there is less software for the Mac in total, but I have yet to want to complete a task that I couldn't find the software for. If I have Photoshop, why do I need the 50 other graphic manipulation packages on the shelves at Best Buy? Add to that the Unix underpinnings of OS X, and you've got a wealth of free software (the GIMP, for example) at your fingertips.

Anyway...I went from not thinking I was particularly fanatical about my computer to being a total Apple Zealot :)
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 08:45:29 PM »
I'm cutting Safari just a little slack for being a beta, but I wasn't impressed. After using it on my Mac, where it runs smooth and fast, I don't know what happened to the Windows version.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 12:52:56 PM »
Nathan, you are correct...poor choice of words on my part to say emulator because that's what was used in the old days.  With the Intel chips now in Macs that is no longer the case.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 10:41:12 PM »

Chicos -- Unlike in politics, I wasn't trying to pick a fight there :) I think a lot of people have that "old days" mind set, and I was just trying to clear it up.

When I purchase machines for my department, I am always tempted to get macs. They are comparable in price, and with dual booting I can offer every user the best of both worlds. Plus, they look nice, and those iMacs, with Wifi, wireless keyboard and mouse, require only a single cable for power.

Rumor is, in the next version of OS X, Leopard, you'll be able to and from Windows/OS X super quick (using hibernating, safe sleep and some new type of RAM).

Apple is doing just about everything right these past few years. It'll be interesting to see how quickly they fall the first misstep they make.

feedback