Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Basketball Featured On "CNN Presents"  (Read 6142 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
MU Basketball Featured On "CNN Presents"
« on: April 01, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »
They compare MU's 91% graduation rate (which was recently a 100%) to UConn's 30% graduation rate.  Uconn is getting a ban from post season because of this low rate.  

They detail what MU does, interview Larry Williams, Pillarz and Jamil Wilson.  

A lot of this was featured about 10 days ago in a segment on MU before the Florida game.  This appears to be the full thing.

http://cnnpresents.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/30/the-real-march-madness/

The Real March Madness

Just how far will a college go to win the NCAA tournament? For a few teams the Secretary of Education calls "bad apples," it may be too far. These schools are not putting true student athletes on the court.

A new study of graduation rates will show almost half of the African American student athletes who will play in the NCAA basketball tournament will not graduate. And at some schools, the graduation rate for basketball players -black and white- is abysmal.

At UConn for instance, over the last four years, an average of only 25% of its men's basketball players graduated and only 14% of its African American players got a degree. Kentucky had a 31% graduation average. At Syracuse it's just about half. CNN's Drew Griffin investigates.

Don't miss 'The Real March Madness' this Sunday during an all new CNN Presents at 8:00 pm ET, re-airing at 11:00 pm and 2:00 am ET.

chren21

• All American
Re: MU Basketball Featured On "CNN Presents"
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:21:40 PM »
Thanks for posting that.  Great watch.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:33:09 PM »
Thanks for posting that.  Great watch.

Really was a great watch. They presented the school as a model for doing right. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 10:42:48 PM »
After hearing about how dumb Marquette's players are, I wonder what our friends to the west thought of that.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 10:48:38 PM »
Quite honestly, I couldn't care less what UW-Granola thinks about my amazing alma mater.  I'm extremely proud of the academics at Marquette, and the academic support Marquette affords its athletes.  The student athlete standards I witnessed while I was at MU (1989-94) seems to be alive and well today. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 11:05:10 PM »
Marquette just knocked it out of the park with that interview.  Jamil was great.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »
All it shows for me is the UCONN part, where is the MU part?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 11:18:14 PM »
I checked online as well, and only got the UConn part.  I am hoping that perhaps the entire show will be posted after the repeat broadcasts are done.  Looks like some of the prior shows had parts 1 and 2, so that leads me to believe that maybe the rest will be posted later.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »
It was on cnn tv.  That was just the promo.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »

I believe I found the MU part.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azAcajV8qSI

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »
After hearing about how dumb Marquette's players are, I wonder what our friends to the west thought of that.

Ask Butch Badger, he is on this site quite a bit and he and his pals trash us on their scout site fairly frequently.  They will say what they always say

Marquette has tutors doing the work
They're all Communications majors
The coursework is easy
Etc, etc

Who cares, they're just upset that we have caught up to them after they  had their recent king of the hill moment.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »
This was awesome to see, especially in comparison to fellow BE UConn. Marquette got high praise from CNN, much deserved imo.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 06:49:24 AM »
The tutoring program is not just for the mens team.  All varsity athletic teams have assigned tutors.  I have to believe that the men's program provides the funding.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 07:20:53 AM »
I believe I found the MU part.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azAcajV8qSI

This was most of it.  In the CNN Presents version that also included a soundbite from Larry Williams and structured it as more of a comparison of Uconn and MU.

I agree that MU came off looking great in this piece.  At the same time Uconn came off looking like a bunch of scumbags.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 07:44:59 AM »
Somebody mentioned there was a new PR firm contracted by MU. Hopefully this is the first in a long line of positive MU headlines coming through.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »
The former group was the Zizzo Group, I believe. They were the ones who came up with "Gold" and told the press that (and I'm paraphrasing it) "people don't like the Gold name now...but they will!" They were basically a PR firm that said how if they shoved something down the public's throat they'd eventually accept it. If they've changed, that's just fine by me.

Wouldn't surprise me considering a new pres and AD are in charge. Agencies are the first thing to get changed.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
The former group was the Zizzo Group, I believe. They were the ones who came up with "Gold" and told the press that (and I'm paraphrasing it) "people don't like the Gold name now...but they will!" They were basically a PR firm that said how if they shoved something down the public's throat they'd eventually accept it. If they've changed, that's just fine by me.

Wouldn't surprise me considering a new pres and AD are in charge. Agencies are the first thing to get changed.

Uh oh.  Now PR Nightmare knows who to blame for the "Gold" fiasco.  I am envisioning some scathing e-mails to the Zizzo Group soon on the way.   ;D

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 09:00:14 AM »

They came up with the "Gold" name and only recently got canned?  Seriously, you could have gotten better results if the school had given this out as a group project to a PR class.
Have some patience, FFS.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »
Uh oh.  Now PR Nightmare knows who to blame for the "Gold" fiasco.  I am envisioning some scathing e-mails to the Zizzo Group soon on the way.   ;D

Worse, I bet they're now going to get poop in the mail.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »
Gold is still better than Golden Eagles.

Viva Bricky!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »
"perennial basketball powerhouse" - sweet!
And Jamil did a great job, came off really well in the interview. Props to him.  I had no idea the school sends tutors along on the road trips.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »
Gold was Crean's idea. You don't hire a PR firm to come up with something like that.

With that said, Gold is better than our current name. I've actually been thinking of this lately. I recall somebody at the time suggested the McGuires and, short of changing back to Warriors, I think that wouldve been great.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »
Anne Zizzo is on the BOT. That might help explain some of the boards decisions vis a vis the pr angle.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
Gold is still better than Golden Eagles.

Viva Bricky!

+24kt

boyonthedock

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 04:47:59 PM »
I also very much prefer gold to the golden eagles. at least its something no one else is. Don't know why marquette jesuits didn't get some play.