Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carolina trio going pro  (Read 6964 times)

MU82

• All American
Carolina trio going pro
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »
Barnes, Henson and Marshall are saying so long to Chapel Hill.

In the end, these superstars helped UNC get one game further than Marquette each of the last two years.

Add them to Austin Rivers, who spurned his daddy's alma mater to go to Duke and is a one-and-done with fewer NCAA tourney wins than Juan Anderson.

Not saying I wouldn't have wanted all of them. Of course I'd want them and any other star recruit I could get. Just reiterating what we all already know: There are no guarantees.

Getting all worked up about recruiting is too tiring. Just get the players, start the season and then let's see how good everybody is!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Carolina trio going pro
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »
Like our odds in Maui.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2012/northcarolina-6

They just re-load.  J.P. might actually see some playing time now.  With Zeller a senior, thats four starters gone.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:06:27 PM »
Only one of that bunch I would not is Henson.  What a punk that guy is.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
I enjoy watching our guys grow as players over their years at MU.  Never want to be a 'one and done' school.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:37:21 PM »

Not saying I wouldn't have wanted all of them. Of course I'd want them and any other star recruit I could get.

If I were a college coach, I would have very little, if any, interest in a recruit who was planning to be a one-and-done.  To devote all that time and energy ( recruiting, conditioning, etc.) a kid you are only have for a year seems like a waste of resources.  And that is on top of the fact that a one-and-doner doesn't care about being a member of a team.  He is very likely to only be interested in doing what makes him look good to the folks who make NBA draft picks.

Sure, they might win you a few extra games - in one season.  But all the hassle that comes with the turnover might not be worth it.
Have some patience, FFS.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 08:38:01 PM »
Only one of that bunch I would not is Henson.  What a punk that guy is.

Not a punk at all, actually a really good kid.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 08:40:55 PM »
I would like to have a one and done once...how about Jabari?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »
Not a punk at all, actually a really good kid.

Jae Crowder disagrees

Untucked

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:47:17 PM »
If I have ever seen a kid who's just a good college point guard, it's Kendall Marshall.  Huge mistake for him to leave
Q: What's the difference between Bo Ryan and God?
A: God doesn't think he's Bo Ryan!!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
I enjoy watching our guys grow as players over their years at MU.  Never want to be a 'one and done' school.

Marshall and Barnes were at UNC as long as our 2 best players in the last 15 years, Wade and Crowder. Give me a guy like Anthony Davis or  Jabari Parker every class. That's why you can never stop recruiting.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »
Marshall and Barnes were at UNC as long as our 2 best players in the last 15 years, Wade and Crowder. Give me a guy like Anthony Davis or  Jabari Parker every class. That's why you can never stop recruiting.

Ill also take a hot blonde who's ass tastes like French Vanilla ice cream.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »
None of these were 1-and-dones. As was pointed out, all three were playing for UNC at least as long as Wade and Crowder played at Marquette.

Still, the lesson is that Wade was barely recruited and went to a Final Four and Crowder wasn't recruited at all and went to two Sweet 16s. You don't have to have 5-stars to win ... although when you don't, you have a pretty small margin of error.

Some folks here say they don't want a 1-and-done. So if Carmelo or Derrick Rose says, "I want to come to Marquette, even if I'm only around for a year," we're gonna say, no, we'd rather have a 3-star who will stay 4 years? Right.

I don't think I'd want a whole program of them, but I sure wouldn't turn my back on any 5-star, 1-and-done kid. I doubt Jim Boeheim regrets having Carmelo Anthony, you know?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »

Overused line.........but this may be the greatest set of words written in the history of this forum.

Well. Played. Sir.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:09 PM »
Roy Williams should be publicly mocked every year he doesn't make a Final Four.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 08:26:44 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
None of these were 1-and-dones. As was pointed out, all three were playing for UNC at least as long as Wade and Crowder played at Marquette.

True, but if not for the NBA uncertainty and strike this past year, Barnes would have been a one-and-done, and both Henson and Zeller probably would have declared.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 08:43:01 AM »
Sure I'd take take the occasional 5 star that gives us his Frosh and Soph year.  But I never want to be the training ground for kids that park themselves for a single year before heading to the NBA.  No, I never want to follow the Kentucky blueprint even if the do win the NCAA Championship this year.  We're a university focused on educating young people, not a  pro franchise focused on winning athletic events for profit.  Basketball players earning degrees is an important lesson for the student body as a whole, 2 of which I have particular interest in.

(Funny, be interesting to have a broad sense of the various MU constituencies on this.)

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »
Last year's strike uncertainty helped Butler get drafted in the first year and this year will hurt Crowder and DJO in the draft.

EDIT:  Last year's strike CERTAINLY helped Butler get drafted in the first ROUND and this year it will hurt Crowder and DJO in the draft.

--Never post in the morning before you drink coffee.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:37:44 AM by Badgerhater »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 08:49:13 AM »
Last year's strike uncertainty helped Butler get drafted in the first year and this year will hurt Crowder and DJO in the draft.

Great point.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »
Like our odds in Maui.

Yeah, for how good that field looked to be a year ago it's not going to be all that tough next year.  If we take an international trip to get the ten additional practices and some extra games before then I'd say we've got a good shot of winning.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »
Sure I'd take take the occasional 5 star that gives us his Frosh and Soph year.  But I never want to be the training ground for kids that park themselves for a single year before heading to the NBA.  No, I never want to follow the Kentucky blueprint even if the do win the NCAA Championship this year.  We're a university focused on educating young people, not a  pro franchise focused on winning athletic events for profit.  Basketball players earning degrees is an important lesson for the student body as a whole, 2 of which I have particular interest in.

(Funny, be interesting to have a broad sense of the various MU constituencies on this.)

So those 2 do not get a degree, which I heard they are not, some of the Buzz issues (graduating players) but really if they do not they still will be in the 1% of salaries next year for first
year students out of school.  Isn't that why you go to school?  To get a job, now if they want to get a degree, they would be fools if they do not finish, as basketball at most is a 10 year
job.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »
If I were a college coach, I would have very little, if any, interest in a recruit who was planning to be a one-and-done.  To devote all that time and energy ( recruiting, conditioning, etc.) a kid you are only have for a year seems like a waste of resources.  And that is on top of the fact that a one-and-doner doesn't care about being a member of a team.  He is very likely to only be interested in doing what makes him look good to the folks who make NBA draft picks.

Sure, they might win you a few extra games - in one season.  But all the hassle that comes with the turnover might not be worth it.

This sounds mildly like some people's aversion to Juco players. Like Buzz has said in regards to Juco players, it can't just be any talented player, it has to be the right type of player. Not all one-and-doners are selfish players who only care about numbers and use college as a 30+ game NBA tryout. This year's Kentucky team is a perfect example of that. Three of their top six players are freshman with potential to be one-and-done and two others are sophs who could have been one-and-done, yet those six players have each taken between 290 and 348 shots. That's an incredibly even distribution for any team, let alone a young team. Say what you want about Coach Cal, but he has definitely brought in 5-star players who buy in to his system.

For those people who mentioned Melo, keep in mind that he wanted to come back to Syracuse but knew that his NBA stock would never be higher than it would be after winning a NC. He actually cried at his press conference announcing his NBA intentions because he didn't want to go but knew it was the right time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
This sounds mildly like some people's aversion to Juco players. Like Buzz has said in regards to Juco players, it can't just be any talented player, it has to be the right type of player. Not all one-and-doners are selfish players who only care about numbers and use college as a 30+ game NBA tryout. This year's Kentucky team is a perfect example of that. Three of their top six players are freshman with potential to be one-and-done and two others are sophs who could have been one-and-done, yet those six players have each taken between 290 and 348 shots. That's an incredibly even distribution for any team, let alone a young team. Say what you want about Coach Cal, but he has definitely brought in 5-star players who buy in to his system.

For those people who mentioned Melo, keep in mind that he wanted to come back to Syracuse but knew that his NBA stock would never be higher than it would be after winning a NC. He actually cried at his press conference announcing his NBA intentions because he didn't want to go but knew it was the right time.

Definitely disagree there.  His stock was probably the lowest it possibly could have been solely because Lebron James was in the draft.  He was the number 1 recruit in the country out of high school, and then led his team to the national title in his freshman season.  If he went back to Syrcacuse for his sophomore season, regardless of how his team did, he would have been the #1 overall pick in the 2004 draft.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »
So those 2 do not get a degree, which I heard they are not, some of the Buzz issues (graduating players) but really if they do not they still will be in the 1% of salaries next year for first
year students out of school.  Isn't that why you go to school?  To get a job, now if they want to get a degree, they would be fools if they do not finish, as basketball at most is a 10 year
job.

The problem isn't the players. It's the system. The Portsmouth Invitational is in mid-April. That's the marquee NBA "tryout" for college seniors and it's during the school year. If Butler had skipped that event last season to focus on his school work, he wouldn't have been a 1st Round pick, which meant a guaranteed 2-year contract worth over $2 million. If he goes in the 2nd Round, that could mean maybe a 1-year, $450k contract. While that's no small change, finishing up a degree could have potentially cost him over $1.5M. A player can always go back to get his degree. He can't ever go back and compete at Portsmouth again.

From an outside perspective it's easy to say that these kids should stick it out and finish their degrees, but if you look at it closer, an overwhelming majority of us would go for the money and dream job.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:40:02 AM by MerrittsMustache »