collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting FISHtastical Mystery Thread  (Read 3328 times)

real chili 83

• All American
The Everlasting FISHtastical Mystery Thread
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:01:20 PM »
Can we change this to the fishing tackle thread?

Fluorocarbon, monofilament, or braided for casting spoons to northerns?  Discuss.......
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:56:09 AM by real chili 83 »

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »
Can we change this to the fishing tackle thread?

Fluorocarbon, monofilament, or braided for casting spoons to northerns?  Discuss.......

PowerPro with a fluoro leader is what I use for muskies.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »
What fish makes for the best fish fry?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »

walleye makes the best shore lunch.  i don't eat fish - one reason i fish for muskies - but a shore lunch of walleyes filleted while still flopping and cooked in a couple lbs of lard over an open fire is something i will allow to pass my lips.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »

walleye makes the best shore lunch.  i don't eat fish - one reason i fish for muskies - but a shore lunch of walleyes filleted while still flopping and cooked in a couple lbs of lard over an open fire is something i will allow to pass my lips.

I am a fly fisherman - one of the reasons I have settled in the Pacific Northwest (although the UP has some nice streams; to wit The Nick Adams Stories by Hemingway)

There is nothing better than a nice brown cooked in butter and Jack Daniels in a cast iron skillet at 9 am.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 07:37:57 PM »

Perch at the Village Pump on Kelley's Island.  Killer home made tartar sauce.

http://villagepump.com/

Wash it down with a brew from the Kelley's Island Brewery.  The hostess/owner, Patti Johnson is a great host/ bartender.

http://kelleysislandbrewpub.com/

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:45:18 PM »

walleye makes the best shore lunch.  i don't eat fish - one reason i fish for muskies - but a shore lunch of walleyes filleted while still flopping and cooked in a couple lbs of lard over an open fire is something i will allow to pass my lips.

Can't argue with that.

For kicks, try the drippings from maple flavored bacon to fry you fish .  Also, make a beer batter with Guiness stout.  Mmmmm, nummy.  Consume with a pint of whiskey, and you'll wake up after a 3 hour mandatory nap, ready to slay the eye's lurking off Cutover Island.

Arrrrrrrh!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:25:00 PM by real chili 83 »

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »
Can't argue with that.

For kicks, try the drippings from maple flavored bacon to fry you fish .  Also, make a beer batter with Guiness stout.  Mmmmm, nummy.  Consume with a piny of whiskey, and you'll wake up after  3 hour mandatory nap, ready to slay the eye's lurking off Cutover Island.

Arrrrrrrh!

We usually slice up potatoes and throw them in the lard with the fish, and open a big can of beans and stick it in the fire (proper etiquette demands that you remove it with a pair of pliers).  Wash it down with a few cold ones, and you'll be so content you won't want to go back out in the boat, just sit there and belch and fart.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 07:54:30 PM »
I am a fly fisherman - one of the reasons I have settled in the Pacific Northwest (although the UP has some nice streams; to wit The Nick Adams Stories by Hemingway)

There is nothing better than a nice brown cooked in butter and Jack Daniels in a cast iron skillet at 9 am.

Ever try the Brule in Douglas county?

If you are a Wisconsin native, and like to fly fish, put Gordon MacQuarrie on your reading list.  Some of our old time Milwaukee residents will remember him from his days at the old Journal. He's originally from Superior, and his books are all about the Brule river area.  

Classics and a must read for all sportsmen.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:47 PM »

Absolutely no doubt about how good walleye eat. Up here we will fish the base of dams on the Columbia in the late afternoon with live bait. We haul in 12-15 pound walleyes here. Great eating.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:58:48 PM »

PowerPro with a fluoro leader is what I use for muskies.

What pound test with the flouro leader?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 08:05:13 PM »
Speaking of great cheeseburgers and fishing, you can't beat the cheeseburger at the New Pass Bait Shop, just south of Longboat Key.

http://www.newpassgrill.com/

Up the road is the Old Salty Dog, from man v food fame .  Really ugly waitresses.  Margaritas suck too.  Teal.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »
What pound test with the flouro leader?

We use 180 for muskies, recommend 60 or 80 for northerns.  My buddy John makes the very best - highly recommended!    

http://www.stealthtackle.net/

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »

We use 180 for muskies, recommend 60 or 80 for northerns.  My buddy John makes the very best - highly recommended!    

http://www.stealthtackle.net/

Thanks for the tip.

Next time you travel north for fishing, a must-stop is Marine General in Duluth.  Its simply amazing how much fishing crap they can stuff into a house, converted into a tackle shop. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 08:19:07 PM »
For kicks, try the drippings from maple flavored bacon to fry you fish .  Also, make a beer batter with Guiness stout.  Mmmmm, nummy.  Consume with a piny of whiskey, and you'll wake up after  3 hour mandatory nap, ready to slay the eye's lurking off Cutover Island.

We usually slice up potatoes and throw them in the lard with the fish, and open a big can of beans and stick it in the fire (proper etiquette demands that you remove it with a pair of pliers).  Wash it down with a few cold ones, and you'll be so content you won't want to go back out in the boat, just sit there and belch and fart.

#foodboner
 - can i be the token guy that freeloads and doesnt know how to fish, clean fish, cook fish, or do anything else next time ya'll head up there?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
Speaking of great cheeseburgers and fishing, you can't beat the cheeseburger at the New Pass Bait Shop, just south of Longboat Key.

http://www.newpassgrill.com/

Up the road is the Old Salty Dog, from man v food fame .  Really ugly waitresses.  Margaritas suck too.  Teal.

Headed to LBK for Easter...THANK YOU for the recommendation! 103 pages and worth every character.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »
#foodboner
 - can i be the token guy that freeloads and doesnt know how to fish, clean fish, cook fish, or do anything else next time ya'll head up there?

Every fish camp needs a minnow b1tch.  ;D

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »
Ever try the Brule in Douglas county?

If you are a Wisconsin native, and like to fly fish, put Gordon MacQuarrie on your reading list.  Some of our old time Milwaukee residents will remember him from his days at the old Journal. He's originally from Superior, and his books are all about the Brule river area.  

Classics and a must read for all sportsmen.

I will check him out. Cheers!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 09:06:45 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

Next time you travel north for fishing, a must-stop is Marine General in Duluth.  Its simply amazing how much fishing crap they can stuff into a house, converted into a tackle shop. 

where in duluth?  we always stop a place in superior for cheap leeches, but it's not much for tackle....as we make our way up to the boundary waters area.

speaking of "shore lunches" i had the best you can get today.... 2 dozen apalachicola oysters pulled right of the oyster bar with my own two hands, a boat full of flounder, and a crab trap full of blue crab.  as much as i love walleye (actually prefer walleye for baking and perch for frying)...crab stuffed flounder with 2 dozen oysters on the half shell on the beach is hard to beat.  

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
Love to fishe the Hayward area every year on the way to the annual Boundary Waters trip.  Saw 5 moose last year which was a first and also river otters at first too.

Down here in central Florida right now on vacation and have been hammering the bass the last two evenings, multiple multiple fish over 6 lbs

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »
Marine General is on London road.  Take 35w to where it dead ends....it will curve to the left.....turn left at the lights for London road.  MG is a couple of blocks down on your right.

Here's the link.

http://www.marinegeneral.com/

Guessing you buy your leaches at the Bait Box in Superior.  Great bait shop.  Good place for salmon eggs.

While I am on a roll, best charter captain out of Duluth is Dexter Nelson.  He docks right behind Grandma's in Canal Park.  Been out with him several times.....the real deal.  Monster lakers.  In the spring, he is all top water.... Big eyes coming out of the St Louis river are mighty hungry!!!!!!!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »
can you eat the walleyes out of the st. louis river now?  i fished it once about 10 years ago...plenty of fish but we were told not to eat them. 

good call on robbies...fed the tarpon many times...while they don't have teeth...they'll rough up your arm/hand if get a couple that take more than just the bait...fun times for sure.   

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:09 PM »
Love to fishe the Hayward area every year on the way to the annual Boundary Waters trip.  Saw 5 moose last year which was a first and also river otters at first too.

Down here in central Florida right now on vacation and have been hammering the bass the last two evenings, multiple multiple fish over 6 lbs

Ever been to Phipps in Hayward?   ;)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
can you eat the walleyes out of the st. louis river now?  i fished it once about 10 years ago...plenty of fish but we were told not to eat them. 

good call on robbies...fed the tarpon many times...while they don't have teeth...they'll rough up your arm/hand if get a couple that take more than just the bait...fun times for sure.   

Yes, you can. 

It is a tremendous fishery now.....kinda of a local hot spot for muskies for the locals in superior/Duluth.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »

What's your typical entry point?  I did the BW for only the second time last September. We were late getting a pass and had an epic (my opinion, it was about two miles on the first day) portage up to Mudro Lake.