[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NY Times and JFK Terror Plot not on Front Page in NEW YORK  (Read 15797 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
NY Times and JFK Terror Plot not on Front Page in NEW YORK
« on: June 06, 2007, 02:14:06 PM »
A New York paper decides not to put a terror plot averted to blow up a New York Airport on the front page.

Here's their response why

http://newsbusters.org/node/13259

tower912

• All American
Re: NY Times and JFK Terror Plot not on Front Page in NEW YORK
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 03:22:28 PM »
There was a paragraph on the front page with a synopsis directing the reader to the full story inside.   Considering the implausibiltiy of the plan, the Guyanese citizens' lack of resources, and their lack of know how, the NYT defense has merit.   Personally, I would have put it on the front, though. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 03:54:23 PM »
Newbusters is clearly run by people who clearly know very little about news operations.
Case in point:

"Furthermore, this comment about the number of such foiled plots is a common liberal meme that needs to be debunked: events don’t lose their newsworthiness due to repetition or precedent, especially ones involving possible loss of life. Or, should the press stop reporting on the lives lost in Iraq, as clearly this is repetitious?"

Actually, events do lose their newsworthiness due to repetition or precedent. When is the last time you saw a front-page story about a routine gang shooting in the Chicago Tribune?
And yes, this is true of soldiers killed in Iraq. Stories giving the name and life stories of the first soldiers killed in Iraq were commonplace on front pages across the country in the first days of the war. Nowadays, those stories are buried inside, if published at all, unless the solider was local to that particular newspaper's circulation region.
An example:
The first soldier killed in combat in Iraq was Brandon Rowe. Google his name and you come up with 18,500 hits.
The most recent killed solider whose name was released was Johnathan Kirk. Google his name and you come up with 737 hits.

"And maybe the next time Tiger Woods wins a golf tournament, or the Yankees win a World Series, nobody should bother reporting it due to the frequency of such occurrences. "

Obviously, this is a misleading argument. Contrary to the implication here, the NYT did report on the plot, and did place it on their front page. In fact, they also placed it on the front of their web page as the story broke. Newbusters complaint here seems to be that the Times didn't blow out a day-old story on their front page long after it already was common knowledge for its readership.

"Of course, if we take this to a more personal level, would the editors want police in their hometowns to decide what threats on their families were grave enough to share with them, or would they like to be apprised of all such uncovered plots against them regardless of the “gravity?”

Law enforcement agencies across the country make these decisions on a daily basis.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 03:57:59 PM by Pakuni »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
There was a paragraph on the front page with a synopsis directing the reader to the full story inside.   Considering the implausibiltiy of the plan, the Guyanese citizens' lack of resources, and their lack of know how, the NYT defense has merit.   Personally, I would have put it on the front, though. 

Oh please....how about the implausibility of the Millenium Bomber under Clinton trying to blow up LAX.  That only received front page coverage for about a week.

It's NEW YORK'S #&^$#)# AIRPORT for Christ sake...last I checked it was the NEW YORK #*$(#$&# Times.

Sorry....I'm on my way to the Stanley Cup.  See ya.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 07:25:59 AM »
I mean if not on Page 1---how about putting it on page 2 or 3-----but page 37?
Please tell me that the NYT doesn't have an axe to grind here!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 12:00:52 PM »
I mean if not on Page 1---how about putting it on page 2 or 3-----but page 37?
Please tell me that the NYT doesn't have an axe to grind here!

Of course they do.  And this nonsense about the "implausibility of the plan".  I wonder back say in 1999 if someone said that 4 planes would be hijacked simultaneously (never happened before) by guys with no bombs, no guns and only box-cutters who would then kill the pilots and fly the planes themselves bringing down the World Trade Center and taking out a chunk of the Pentagon....how implausible would that have been?

VERY. 

But it happened anyway.

There is simply no excuse for the NY Times not to have a front page story about the NY AIRPORT (Its airport) on the front page.  None.  But we all know why it wasn't on there. 

Fine by me, Sulzburg continues to drive that fish wrap into the ground, losing subscribers every year and the share value is in the toilet.  Fine by me.  That's what happens when you produce a product that only one half of the people both to buy because it's so bias now...it only appeals to one half the population.  Economics 101.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 01:23:33 PM »
No, the only people who claimed that no one ever thought 4 planes could be used as missiles were from this administration, and primairily Condoleeza Rice, after the fact.   Anybody who has read Tom Clancy novels has at some point contemplated it.   It is SCIENTIFICALLY impossible for the plan hatched by the homeless guy, the drug addict, the former Guyanese politician, and friend who lacked know how and resources to work. Now I know that supporters of this administration are anti-science, but ask a firefighter other than me whether this is possible.   Jet fuel only explodes in very specific, very limited conditions.  This has to do with such scientific principles as upper and lower explosive limits, ignition points, vapor densities and the like.   Jet fuel will burn hotter than hell (witness the twin towers) but makes a lousy bomb.   Sorry.
  Here is the headline if I had been writing it.   (Art Olczyk, forgive me)
PIPE DREAM INTERRUPTED!
A homeless man, his drug addict friend, a former Guyanese politician, and a Trinidadian immigrant were arrested today for plotting to blow up JFK airport.   The 4 had no resources, no know how, and experts say their plan had no chance of success, but they had a dream.   Their dream was to cause in an explosion in the 45 mile pipeline that supplies jet fuel to JFK, causing that airport's destruction, as well as the destruction of the borough of Queens with some well placed C4 or dynamite.
Seriously, I am glad we got these guys.  Likewise, I am happy that the Fort Dix conspirators were dumb enough to take a copy of their plan to a local store to have the clerk transfer it to DVD for them and that he was aware enough to phone in the tip.   The guys in Miami who dreamed of taking down the Sears tower, though most had not been to Chicago, I am glad they are gone, too.   We have nothing to fear from these amateurs.  Fear the quiet ones, the organized ones, the educated ones.   
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 01:40:07 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 05:02:12 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usattacksairportskepticism;_ylt=AoHRPX72sMOSE0CyVImslUQDW7oF

Yeah, I know, Yahoo is notoriously liberal.

AT&T Yahoo!Mail Yahoo! SearchSearch:Welcome, smurrays@sbcgloba...
[Sign Out, Member Center]News HomeHelpNews HelpAT&T Help
Primary Navigation
HomeU.S.BusinessWorldEntertainmentSportsTechPoliticsElectionsScienceHealthMost Popular
Secondary Navigation
Video Photos Opinion Local News Odd News Comics Travel Weather Full Coverage You Witness News Site Index Search:   All News Yahoo! News Only News Photos Video/Audio  Advanced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experts cast doubt on credibility of JFK terror plot by Luis Torres de la Llosa
Mon Jun 4, 8:20 PM ET

NEW YORK (AFP) - An alleged plot to blow up fuel tanks and pipelines at New York's JFK airport had little chance of success, according to safety experts, who have questioned whether the plot ever posed a real threat.

ADVERTISEMENT

US authorities said Saturday they had averted an attack that could have resulted in "unfathomable damage, deaths, and destruction," and charged four alleged Islamic radicals with conspiracy to cause an explosion at the airport.

But according to the experts, it would have been next to impossible to cause an explosion in the jet fuel tanks and pipeline. Furthermore, the plotters seem to have lacked the explosives and financial backing to carry out the attack.

John Goglia, a former member of        National Transportation Safety Board, said that if the plot had ever been carried out, it would likely have sparked a fire but little else, and certainly not the mass carnage authorities described.

"You could definitely reach the tank, definitely start the fire, but to get the kind of explosion that they were thinking that they were going to get... this is virtually impossible to do," he told AFP.

The fuel pipelines around the airport would similarly burn, rather than explode, because they are a full of fuel and unable to mix with enough oxygen.

"We had a number of fires in the US. All that happens is a big fire," he said. "It won't blow up, it will only burn."

Even if the attackers had managed to blow up a fuel tank, the impact would be limited, he said, citing the example of North Vietnamese forces attacking US fuel dumps during the Vietnam war.

"They hit the fuel tanks with pretty big rockets. You would get a big fire but not a big explosion other than the rocket."

"There is a difference between just exploding the tank and a huge explosion. The tank may explode and blow up some metal, but that certainly wouldn't go very far," he said.

His comments contrasted with those of US Attorney Roslynn Mauskopf, who insisted at the weekend that "the devastation that would be caused had this plot succeeded is just unthinkable."

Jake Magish, an engineer with Supersafe Tank Systems, also cast doubt on the credibility of the plot, saying: "The fantasy that I've heard about the people saying 'they will blow the tank and destroy the airport,' is nonsense."

"There are people there responding to hysteria, I think. But from an engineering point of view, if someone is successful in blowing a hole into a tank, they will just have a fire from one tank.

"There is no way for the fire to go from tank to tank, that is nonsense. It just won't happen."

Besides the alleged plotters' capability, other questions have focused on the main source in the probe -- a convicted drug dealer who infiltrated the group and whose sentence was pending as part of his cooperation with police.

Neal Sonnett, a former federal prosecutor, told the New York Times there was also a danger in overstating how serious or sophisticated a plot really was.

"There unfortunately has been a tendency to shout too loudly about such cases," he said. "To the extent that you over-hype a case, you create fear and paranoia," he said.

The New York Times on Sunday pointedly avoided giving much coverage to the alleged plot, devoting only a brief on its front page continued on the local section, despite the story breaking in the early afternoon on Saturday.

Email Story IM Story Printable View RECOMMEND THIS STORY
          Recommend It:

Average (260 votes)
 » Recommended Stories
 Top Stories
Putin offers radar site in Azerbaijan AP Immigration bill fails key Senate test AP Feds may suspend border passport rule AP Stem cell bill passes, faces new veto AP Romney rejects long-term Iraq presence AP Most Viewed: Top Stories
Over 600 million worldwide work excessive hours: ILO Reuters G8 leaders agree "substantial" greenhouse gas cuts Reuters North Korean missile launch draws U.S. criticism Reuters Immigration bill fails crucial Senate vote Reuters Congress votes to expand stem cell research Reuters
Top Stories Video
Life Is a Highway for Man in Wheelchair ABC News - 27 minutes ago A Trip Through Two Darfurs ABC News - Thu Jun 7, 2:32 PM ET G-8's Hot Topic: Saving the Planet ABC News - Thu Jun 7, 2:32 PM ET 5 Newborn Babies Found in Stolen Car ABC News - 2 hours, 57 minutes ago 
AFP/Getty Images/File Photo: A passenger jet passes over traffic at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York City....

Add headlines to your personalized My Yahoo! page
(About My Yahoo! and RSS)
Terrorism

» More News Feeds
NEWS ALERTS

Get an alert when there are new stories about:

National Transportation Safety Board

» More Alerts

Elsewhere on the Web
CNN.com
Man charged with killing teen matches video image
ABC News
Will Romney Be Only Candidate in Iowa Poll?
The Christian Science Monitor
Biofuel boondoggle: US subsidy aids Europe's drivers

People of the Web

Caught on tape
A violent video puts a blogger behind bars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yahoo! - My Yahoo! - Mail
Search:   All News Yahoo! News Only News Photos Video/Audio  Advanced

Primary Navigation
Home U.S Business World Entertainment Sports Tech Politics Science Health Travel Most Popular Odd News Opinion
Copyright © 2007 Agence France Presse. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AFP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Agence France Presse.

Copyright © 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Send Feedback | Help

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:04:42 PM by tower912 »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 06:09:20 PM »
Thank God that the NYTimes only prints the news that is fit to print.  Heres to hoping the wall street journal doesn get gobbled up by Tierney or Murdoch.

Lets keep news objective and serve as a 4th estate against a government run amuck.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 07:53:26 PM »
Thank God that the NYTimes only prints the news that is fit to print.  Heres to hoping the wall street journal doesn get gobbled up by Tierney or Murdoch.

Lets keep news objective and serve as a 4th estate against a government run amuck.

Yeah right...led by Jayson Blair and Frank Rich leading the charge.  Good Lord.  The New York Times is going to save us.....what a riot.

Tower, I have no idea if it was plausible or not...that is WHOLLY NOT THE POINT.  The point is that there were people plotting to do so...what else were they plotting to do in New York?  Why did the Chicago papers print on the front page the story about the Sears Tower plot?  How "plausible" was that?  I'd expect a New York paper to write about a New York airport story....perhaps not on page 35, but closer to the front...what's wrong, page 34 was too taken up with Michael Moore and Nancy Pelosi love shots?

And nice try on the planes diatribe. I've read every Tom Clancy novel at least twice, big fan of his but that's just absurd what you are saying.  The administration had no knowledge whatsoever that planes were going to be flown into buildings.  I've heard Clancy say on an interview that terrorists could strap C4 to dogs and let them loose in the city and just blow them up all over the place taking out thousands....how "plausible" is that?  It's not plausible, but if someone had an idea and was seriously in the planning stages of doing that in a city I'd damn well expect that if it was broken up to be on page 1, or maybe 2, 3, 4 or maybe 5...I don't know...page 31...how about 33....no wait...how about page 35?  Yeah...page 35.

You guys spin so damn fast it's hilarious.  "THE MEDIA ISN'T LIBERAL"....the mantra from.....drumroll....liberals.  The only people that ever say the media isn't liberal are liberals because they want to protect that 4th rail so damn badly.

Fortunately, the current media approval ratings are below that of the Republican President and the Democratic Congress...which is to say it's horrible.  Exactly where it belongs and deserves.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 10:51:59 AM »
Actually, plausibility gets to the heart of the matter.   If I said that me and three friends were planning on flying to the moon by strapping helium balloons to a big couch and breathing under upside down fishbowls, would that be a story?   Not really.    And I have written that I think the story should have been a higher priority and that I am glad they were arrested.   I just don't take them seriously as a threat.   As I said before, worry about the quiet, competent, educated, funded ones that are smart enough not to tell their drug dealer, or give a copy of their plans to the clerk at the video store.   One of them will accomplish something.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 12:36:44 PM »
But the problem Tower is that publicity keeps this in the public eye-----keeps people on the look out from strange behavior by mid eastern males. Not as apt to foil future plots if planned terroism (no matter what the intellectual capcity of the perpetrators may be in your opinion) isn't featured as it develops!

The main thing here is the intent----the degree of plausibilty is irrelevant as that can change with future funding, logistics, and other support. The fact theat 4 grown people from different parts of the world got together to seek out ways to destroy a significant target and kill thousands in the process is at least in their mind plausible----these aren't 4 neighborhood kids ringing doorbells!

e.g----the law says if you or i plan to kill the President regardless of "plausibility" we go to the slammer for years!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 07:49:29 PM »
Official Says JFK Terror Probe Widening

Jun 8, 5:35 PM (ET)

By PAT MILTON

NEW YORK- The investigation into the thwarted plot to bomb John F. Kennedy International Airport is widening beyond the four men in custody, with more suspects sought outside the U.S. for their suspected roles, a law enforcement official said Friday.

The defendants identified last weekend were "just a piece of it," the official told The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because of not being authorized to speak publicly. "We are definitely seeking more players. We are targeting others overseas."

The official declined to provide details about the possible suspects, or in what countries they are being sought.

Law enforcement officials, through the use of an informant, were able to undermine the airport plot in its early stages.

The four suspects made trips to the airport, took video and photographs, drew diagrams and collected information. They then hoped to shop their information to individuals with the capacity to pull off their stated plan of causing "greater destruction than the Sept. 11 attacks," the official said.

According to court documents, the men sought the help of Jamaat al Muslimeen, or JAM, a Muslim organization based in Trinidad - a known violent group involved in killings, kidnappings and weapons trafficking over the past two decades. The group staged a coup attempt in 1990, storming the Trinidad Parliament building and taking the prime minister hostage.

Some experts have called the plot far-fetched, saying it would have been virtually impossible to achieve the kind of destruction the suspects envisioned. But the official said that if the men had lined up with people who had the right resources, the plans could have been carried out in a short period of time.

Alleged mastermind Russell Defreitas, a U.S. citizen from Guyana, hatched the plan when he worked as a cargo employee at JFK 10 years ago, authorities said. He is being held in New York on conspiracy charges. His alleged co-conspirators, two citizens of Guyana and one from Trinidad, are in jail in Trinidad and were expected to fight extradition to New York.

Defreitas' attorney, Drew Carter, was out of town and did not immediately return phone messages.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 08:44:10 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 09:03:47 PM »
Keep mocking science. 

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 09:20:35 PM »
How to Foil a Terrorist Plot in 7 Easy Steps (Huffington Post)

1. In order to foil a terrorist plot, you must first find a terrorist plot. This is not easy.

2. Not just anyone can find and then foil a terrorist plot. You must have an incentive. The best incentive is to be an accused felon, looking at a long prison term. Under such circumstances, your lawyer will explain to you, you may be able to reduce your sentence by acting as an informant in a criminal case, preferably one involving terrorists.

3. The fact that you do not know any actual terrorists should not in any way deter you. Necessity is the mother of invention: if you can find the right raw material -- a sad, sick, lonely, drunk, deranged, disgruntled or just plain anti-American Muslim somewhere in the United States -- you can make your very own terrorist.

4. Now the good part begins. Money! The FBI will give you lots of money to take your very own terrorist out to lots of dinners where you, wearing a wire, can record yourself making recommendations to him about possible targets and weapons that might be used in the impending terrorist attack that your very own terrorist is going to mastermind, with your help. It will even buy you a computer so you can go to Google Earth in order to show your very own terrorist a "top secret" aerial image of the target you have suggested.

5. More money!! The FBI will give you even more money to travel to foreign countries with your very own terrorist, and it will make suggestions about terrorist groups you can meet while in said foreign countries.

6. Months and even years will pass in this fashion, while you essentially get the FBI to pay for everything you do. (Incidentally, be sure your lawyer negotiates your expense account well in advance, or you may be forced -- as the informant was in the Buffalo terrorist case -- to protest your inadequate remuneration by setting yourself on fire in front of the White House.)

7. At a certain point, something will go wrong. You may have trouble recruiting other people to collaborate with your very own terrorist, who is, as you yourself know, just an ordinary guy in a really bad mood. Or, alternatively, the terrorist cell you have carefully cobbled together may malfunction and fail to move forward -- probably as a result of sheer incompetence or of simply not having been genuinely serious about the acts of terrorism you were urging it to commit. At this point, you may worry that the FBI is going to realize that there isn't much of a terrorist plot going on here at all, just a case of entrapment. Do not despair: the FBI is way ahead of you. The FBI knows perfectly well what's going on. The FBI has as much at stake as you do. So before it can be obvious to the world that there's no case, the FBI will arrest your very own terrorist, hold a press conference and announce that a huge terrorist plot has been foiled. It will of course be forced to admit that this plot did not proceed beyond the pre-planning stage, that no actual weapons or money were involved, and that the plot itself was "not technically feasible," but that will not stop the story from becoming a front-page episode all over America and, within hours, boilerplate for all the Republican politicians who believe that you need to arrest a "homegrown" terrorist now and then to justify the continuing war in Iraq. Everyone will be happy, except for the schmuck you shmikeled into becoming a terrorist, and no one really cares about him anyway.

So congratulations. You have foiled a terrorist plot. Way to go.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 10:37:50 AM »
So Cal-----you can bellittle islamic facism all you want-----you can belittle and make light of plots uncovered regardless of what stage they are in-----all you are doing is repeating the history of the 1930s when the warnings of Churchill went unheeded. Churchill was considered a nut back then as most everyone wanted to believe that Hitler didn't have ambitions beyond the German borders------not even when he marched into Austria did most people believe that he had MAJOR expansionary ambitions-----not even with the march into the Sudetenland of the Czech Republic after he promised no to (at Munich) did the majority believe----it took the invasion of France & Poland before the masses in Great Britain finally understood what Hitler was up to-----but still in this country no one wanted to believe-----it took Pearl Harbor for that to happen.

I had thought that 9/11 was our Pearl Harbor----not so as most have forgotten the lessons leaned there----in all probability it will take a bigger happening before the majority here "gets it" ------and that is that Radical/Facist Islam is out to convert the world to Islam-----and barring that ALL "infidels" must be destroyed!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 07:48:24 PM »
Absolutely right, Murf.   And after we get every possible islamic fascitst, lets go after every racist out there; every redneck with a rebel flag in his pick up.    Then, lets go after every christian who thinks anyone from another denomination is going to hell and get rid of them, too.  After that, every sexist pig.   Then we can go after every stuck-in-the-50's coot who can't stand those damn kids walking on his lawn.   Eventually, we will go after every devotee of the wide post.   There are people out there who do want to kill us, who have the access to the material, the will, and the know how to do it.   These clowns had only an idea.   I'm glad they are in jail.   But the Times treated this plot with the correct amount of alarm.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 12:22:54 AM »
Absolutely right, Murf.   And after we get every possible islamic fascitst, lets go after every racist out there; every redneck with a rebel flag in his pick up.    Then, lets go after every christian who thinks anyone from another denomination is going to hell and get rid of them, too.  After that, every sexist pig.   Then we can go after every stuck-in-the-50's coot who can't stand those damn kids walking on his lawn.   Eventually, we will go after every devotee of the wide post.   There are people out there who do want to kill us, who have the access to the material, the will, and the know how to do it.   These clowns had only an idea.   I'm glad they are in jail.   But the Times treated this plot with the correct amount of alarm.

I wonder why the Washington Post had it on their front page.  Why the Chicago Tribune had it on their front page.  Why the LA Times had it on their front page, yet the NY Times didn't.  Hmmm. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 12:58:01 AM »
wow - imagine a different POV. I know this is hard to grasp for a republican.  ;)

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 02:30:49 AM »
wow - imagine a different POV. I know this is hard to grasp for a republican.  ;)

You must not be talking to me, I'm not a Republican.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 07:08:42 AM »
Tower----I don't plan to convert to Islam----I don't imagine you are either-----so guess who the "infidels" are----that's you and me.

BTW----the last i checked-----Christians, rednecks, racists, sexist pigs you talk of aren't organized to commit mass murder.

Also every crime starts with an "idea"-----some of those "ideas" develop into crimes and some don't-----had the "ideas" which did develop into a crime been stopped at the "idea" stage----guess what, there wouldn't have been a crime!!

Stopping crime at the idea stage is a good thing (certainly not t negative)------let's give it maximum exposure as a deterrent!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 07:13:23 AM by Murffieus »

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2007, 11:15:58 AM »
A deterrent?  That is laughable, Murf.  Foiling a plot, no matter the stage will not deter an islamic extremist from attacking.  You think these guys are going to say, "you know what, maybe it's not such a good idea to blow myself up because I might get caught like those other guys."

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 11:38:18 AM »
So CAl----yes a detterent for most, but not for everybody. Some terrorists may not be afraid of death------but to spend the rest of their lives in Gitmo or a penitenary-----I don't think anyone would be enthralled with that !

Suicides, attempted suicides, dispair, nervous breakdowns, etc are common at Gitmo-----that isn't a country club!

Furthermore some take pleasure in dying for inflicting death on innocent civilians (suicide bombers)----but if caught BEFORE they are able to do that-----and face long internment and ultimate legal death doesn't carry any where near the satisfaction----hence a deterrent there too!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 12:19:19 PM by Murffieus »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 06:46:21 PM »
http://www.talk2action.org/story/2007/6/17/11124/1577
Right again, Murf.   Christians never celebrate extremism or revel in the death of infidels. 

feedback