[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507169 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread
« Reply #2400 on: March 28, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2401 on: March 28, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
So you know that if Buzz showed interest that Illinois would not?  I just don't buy the cr@p your selling today. 

Anyway, this thread has wasted too much of my life.  You will never see another persons point of view, so have at the last response, this thread is done to me.

I know that Illinois had a list of top tier candidates, and Buzz Williams was not on it.
I very much doubt that whether or not Buzz showed interest had any effect on the list and his standing on it. Given that all the names at the top of that list turned down the Illini (some publicly, some not), I feel comfortable believing Illinois did not generate its list on the basis of who they believed was most interested.
Unlike MU, I do have some pretty credible sources about the U of I job, and they tell me Buzz has never been high on their list. Take it fwiw.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #2402 on: March 28, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »
Post to Tie!

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #2403 on: March 28, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »
Win.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2404 on: March 28, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »
LOCK IT.  CLOSE IT.  Let the next generation see the wisdom of their forefathers when they open this thread 50 years from now.

Damnit!
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2405 on: March 28, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »
Hey y'all I'm here for the gang bang!

/looks around
//realizes it's only doods
///farts in Ammo's face and runs away

TJ

• All American
« Reply #2406 on: March 28, 2012, 10:22:41 AM »
Hey y'all I'm here for the gang bang!

/looks around
//realizes it's only doods
///farts in Ammo's face and runs away
Three chicks were outed in this thread.  Nobody asked for pictures of their lady bits because apparently we're all perfect gentlemen.  It's all in there.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2407 on: March 28, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »

I'm just surprised at the amount if vilification of the MU Admin., and subsequent doomsday predictions by people around here.

I don't know Pilarz or Larry Williams, but my bet is they aren't:
A. Stupid
B. Evil
C. Incapable because he (larry) went to Notre Dame
D. Ready to make MU like SLU
E. Wanting more "notre dame" or "northwestern" type of players

If you want to see an admin. that doesn't "get it", look at DePaul.

I certainly don't think that Fr Pilarz and Larry Williams are stupid or evil. "C" is, to me, ridiculous, and I think (hope?) that D and E are not part of their vision.

I won't comment on Pilarz becase I don't know what his input is in all of this. As for Larry Williams, here's my take: He inherited a very successful situation, including one of the best and most coveted head coaches in the profession to lead the flagship program in the athletic department. The coach was happy and felt a mutual sense of trust and loyalty existed between him and the administration. In three short months the trust is gone and the loyalty is in question. Instead of taking it slow and building a relationship with unarguably Marquette's most important employee, Larry has acted like a bull in a china shop, publicly stating that HE will make Buzz a better coach, reprmanding him for his WV 2 step (after Buzz had already apologized) and musing on whether Buzz's too tight tie might make his head blow up. God knows what he said to Buzz in private.  So, he has been (publicly) boastful, arrogant and unprepared/unprofessional (see his speech in which he mangled many important donors names and laughed about it). I agree that Larry isn't stupid or evil, but guess what? Neither are the people running things at DePaul and that hasn't stopped them from screwing things up royally. That's the course Larry's on now. Hopefully that will change.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2408 on: March 28, 2012, 10:28:09 AM »
Three chicks were outed in this thread.  Nobody asked for pictures of their lady bits because apparently we're all perfect gentlemen.  It's all in there.

I was lurking last night, this thread was too funny not to see it through.  I thought Ska said to PM her for pics...I did not, because I am a perfect gentleman.  And my friends call me Adonis, because I'm so good looking.

/scratches balls
//spits

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2409 on: March 28, 2012, 10:34:49 AM »
Ha!  None of the men offered to actually DO anything like organize the bake sale - just typical!
Proud to be part of history.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #2410 on: March 28, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
Jesus! Almost 2,000 more replies then next highest 'Al' thread.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2411 on: March 28, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »

In over 2400 replies, that has to be the funniest thing anyone has said yet.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Warriors10

• All American

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2413 on: March 28, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »
You were in the running for the SMU job?

No. I meant I've used other job offers as leverage against my current job.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2414 on: March 28, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »
So says you.  Frankly, I do not believe you.  I guess that is junk from you then, right?

What "leverage" did Buzz get out of this? 

You don't believe me? Fine. But here are the facts: Buzz didn't leave. Buzz never received a formal offer from SMU. Buzz and Larry Williams issued a joint statement that they are looking forward to the future, not the past.

The leverage is that Buzz had, on the surface, other options than MU. I don't know why you need me to clarify that for you. It's pretty obvious to anyone.
We Are Marquette

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2415 on: March 28, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »
As for Larry Williams, here's my take: He inherited a very successful situation, including one of the best and most coveted head coaches in the profession to lead the flagship program in the athletic department. The coach was happy and felt a mutual sense of trust and loyalty existed between him and the administration. In three short months the trust is gone and the loyalty is in question. Instead of taking it slow and building a relationship with unarguably Marquette's most important employee, Larry has acted like a bull in a china shop, publicly stating that HE will make Buzz a better coach, reprmanding him for his WV 2 step (after Buzz had already apologized) and musing on whether Buzz's too tight tie might make his head blow up. God knows what he said to Buzz in private.  So, he has been (publicly) boastful, arrogant and unprepared/unprofessional (see his speech in which he mangled many important donors names and laughed about it). I agree that Larry isn't stupid or evil, but guess what? Neither are the people running things at DePaul and that hasn't stopped them from screwing things up royally. That's the course Larry's on now. Hopefully that will change.

So a lot of that stuff is bad - the jokes, mispronouncing the donor's names, etc. Can't be an AD and do that.

BUT I think you're making the mistake of looking at the situation as if LW came in in a vacuum. Things weren't kumbaya when LW walked in the door - that's why Cottingham was pushed out and LW showed up in the first place. He couldn't just come in and do his best Cottingham impression. He likely interviewed purely on the basis that he would turn things around.

Now we can all agree or disagree to varied levels as to whether there was anything to "turn around." Its not debatable that the on-court product was better than it had been in decades. But LW wasn't brought in as a AD to better the on-field products. He was brought in to make a PR nightmare go away. As such, he felt he had to come in like Scruff McGruff. Whether we think that's right, I can empathize with him inasmuch as thats what he was hired to do. If this blows up, I actually tend to go easy on LW. On one hand, Buzz has to recognize these realities (and its very possible he does). On the other, the Prez and BoT are as responsible for LW's public persona right now as he is.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #2416 on: March 28, 2012, 11:25:12 AM »
No. I meant I've used other job offers as leverage against my current job.
I think he knew what you meant.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2417 on: March 28, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
I think he knew what you meant.

I know. I was just being a smart ass back.
We Are Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2418 on: March 28, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
I certainly don't think that Fr Pilarz and Larry Williams are stupid or evil. "C" is, to me, ridiculous, and I think (hope?) that D and E are not part of their vision.

I won't comment on Pilarz becase I don't know what his input is in all of this. As for Larry Williams, here's my take: He inherited a very successful situation, including one of the best and most coveted head coaches in the profession to lead the flagship program in the athletic department. The coach was happy and felt a mutual sense of trust and loyalty existed between him and the administration. In three short months the trust is gone and the loyalty is in question. Instead of taking it slow and building a relationship with unarguably Marquette's most important employee, Larry has acted like a bull in a china shop, publicly stating that HE will make Buzz a better coach, reprmanding him for his WV 2 step (after Buzz had already apologized) and musing on whether Buzz's too tight tie might make his head blow up. God knows what he said to Buzz in private.  So, he has been (publicly) boastful, arrogant and unprepared/unprofessional (see his speech in which he mangled many important donors names and laughed about it). I agree that Larry isn't stupid or evil, but guess what? Neither are the people running things at DePaul and that hasn't stopped them from screwing things up royally. That's the course Larry's on now. Hopefully that will change.

Entirely possible and I have no factual way of disputing what you have laid out.

I guess I hope/suspect:

#1 Larry is smarter than this. I don't know the man, but I hope MU went through an in-depth hiring process and found a good AD. That doesn't mean he hasn't made a mistake(s) though, or that there haven't been some growing pains.

#2 Buzz hasn't taken the media comments personally. I know Buzz is an emotional guy so he might... but Buzz lays some pretty interesting quotes on us when he talks about his "employees", so I hope he's not offended when Larry is honest about his coach. I think Larry's comments were accurate. Buzz loves his guys, and we know that. But, in his first few interviews we were all pretty surprised at the way he talked about them so honestly.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2419 on: March 28, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »
As did IWB.  That was my point.  Yet, you chose to blast him.  And that is after you chastised people for blasting you on the DePaul thread.  I just don't get that.  To each their own, I guess.

Who did I chastise? I explicitly said no apologies were necessary.

The only time I demanded an apology IT WAS IN TEAL.

The difference is when I post something I know I qualify it as such. If it is something I think or feel I also qualify it as such.

Did it ever dawn on you that I might know some things the average fan doesn't? Not trying to be obnoxious, just making the point that Im not some troll.

I'm starting to feel like Big Daddy did. I think I'm being helpful posting insights and then I have to deal with nonsense like this.
We Are Marquette

MarsupialMadness

• All American

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2421 on: March 28, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
talk about an unexpected twist

SMU boosters are willing to pay Larry way more than the Social Security Administration can match, but both institutions will be better off after the buyout.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2422 on: March 28, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »

Pics or GTFO

(I dont want to get banned so i did not use other word)

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
Further review of the Larry Williams press release, further examination needed
« Reply #2423 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16:26 PM »
Let’s psychoanalyze this press release for what it really is.  

To do this, we need the help of Geraldo Rivera and  Dr. Hasseldorf, author of "Hostage Terrorist, Terrorist Hostage: A Study in Duality."

Let us begin with the full text review of Athletic Director Larry Williams statement

“Coach Williams is a good man, great coach and I look forward to working with him in the coming years” Director of Athletics Larry Williams said.  “As we move forward, we want to make sure we stay focused on the rich history and core values that underpin this very unique program – among the elite in the nation – by continuing to emphasize our mission of remarkable success on the court and the classroom.”

Geraldo Rivera:  Dr. Hasselfdorf , on the surface, everything appears on the up and up.  Is there something more to this than meets the eye?  Shouldn't the Marquette faithful feel fantastic about this press statement?

Dr. Hasselfdorf:  Why, yes Mr. Rivera, there is much more that meets the eye.  We must go deeper into the analysis.  To get to the real meaning we must break this down piece by piece and examine every word

In the first part of the statement reads, "He is a good man, great coach"

Notice he said good man.  Why didn't he say he was a great man?  He’s only a good man, but a great coach?  Why not a great man and a good coach?  Or a great man and a great coach?  Why didn't he say the best coach since Al McGuire?  Or the best man since Gandhi?  Why good man and not goodwrench or goodbar?  Is this an unintentional misstep by AD Williams in the same way he butchers the names of top donors?  Or is there something more sinister going on.  A slap at Buzz Williams?

Geraldo Rivera:  I see.  I see.  What else can you tell us Dr. Hasselfdorf?

Dr. Hasselfdorf:   It is my opinion that Larry Williams and possibly Father Pilarz are suffering from Helsinki Syndrome.

Geraldo Rivera:  As in Helsinki, Sweden?

Dr. Hasselfdorf:    No.  Helsinki, Finland.  You see, their AD, Larry Williams, a Notre Dame graduate, is clearly out to destroy the Marquette program and wants to push Buzz Williams out of Marquette and into another program where he can recruit anyone he wishes without the university having any voice.  This is what Notre Dame graduates do.  The first hint of this diabolical scheme is based on his “good man, great coach” backhanded compliment toward your coach.  It is nothing more than that, a backhanded compliment.  Did I mention to you that he attended Notre Dame? Would you expect anything else?  He is likely a shadow agent brought in by a Georgetown man to destroy your program.

Now let’s look at the second part of the statement

"I look forward to working with him in the coming years"

Why did Mr. Williams say in the coming years?  Why didn't this graduate of Notre Dame say in the coming decades?  Why is AD Williams only giving Coach Williams a limited amount of years to be at Marquette in which to work with him?  It is because he is signaling to the Marquette faithful that he is unwilling to give Mr. Buzz decades in which to be the coach.  An outrageous slip-up that only my trained ear could catch.  He says he is looking forward to working with him.  He didn't say he appreciated working with him in the backward time they have shared together.  A clear trait of the Helsinki Syndrome.

Geraldo Rivera:  Well, ah, couldn’t coming years not also mean many many years, even decades?  Who says in the "coming decades" anyway?  That would presumptuous I would think and out of the realm of normal.

Dr. Hasselfdorf:    Listen, if I want your views on opening an empty Al Capone vault on national tv, I will ask for it.  Leave the psychoanalytic work of the destruction Mr. Williams is planning for his athletic department to me. If you still do not believe me, let us look at the last part of the statement for concrete evidence.

It reads "we stay focused on the rich history and core values that underpin this very unique program – among the elite in the nation – by continuing to emphasize our mission of remarkable success on the court and the classroom."

Did you see it?  Did you just see what he did?  Mr. Larry Williams, who went to Notre Dame for both undergraduate and law school, said a mouthful right there.  Let’s dissect

“we stay focused” -  Who is this we?  Larry Williams, you just got here. There is no we when it comes to you.  Your we we is in Portland and Notre Dame, not Milwaukee.  Do not forget that the non-Notre Dame graduating Williams put us on the map (not Al, or Hank, or Kevin, or Tommy).   Buzz put Marquette on the map. I read that on MU Scoop this is why I know. There is no we here.

“rich history” – A clear instance of transposition.  History rich, not rich history.  From what I understand, your AD Williams would like to take money away from Buzz and Marquette.  Doesn’t sound rich to me.  Sounds like rich is becoming history.

Geraldo Rivera:  Well, ah wasn't he talking about the history of the program?

Dr. Hasselfdorf:   "core values" – Isn’t Buzz Williams wife named Corey?  Core Values.  Corey Values?  What does Corey Value?  Don’t mess with Happy.  He could have said Essential Values and this would be a non-issue but he had to go there.  I think nothing more need to be said here.  Those Notre Dame bastards, subtle but bastards nonetheless.  Especially the bald ones.

Geraldo Rivera:  No.  Really?  Wait, what? I think you have it all wrong.  Dr. Hasselfdorf, Dr. Hasselfdorf….

Dr. Hasselfdorf:  "among the elite” – Among the elite?  Larry, MU isn’t Notre Dame.  MU strives to win games in the NCAA tournament.  MU is elite.  Among the elite screams Notre Dame basketball.  Past elite speaks Notre Dame football.  Never elite speaks of Wisconsin football.  Get with the program.

Geraldo Rivera:  OK. True.  Well stated.  I’m on board with that one.

Dr. Hasselfdorf:“mission of remarkable success on the court and the classroom” – Did you see that one?  Notice anything?  It’s very subtle.  Let’s read it one more time.  “mission of remarkable success on the court and the classroom”   Did you see it?  He didn’t say “in the classroom” he said “and the classroom”   Ah ha!   What does AD Williams mean here?  I think we all know what he meant here.

In my diagnosis, this is a classic case of Helsinki Syndrome

Geraldo Rivera:  Dr. Hasselfdorf you have made me a partial believer but others I am sure you have convinced in full.   It is clear to me now that Buzz Williams has had his balls squeezed mightily by Larry Williams and Father Pilarz and they are still out to bring down this Marquette program and Coach Williams, despite this charade of a press release.  This good man, great coach.  No, this great man, great coach should not be treated like this by his superiors.  Why else would Marquette hire an Athletic Director from Notre Dame but to have him come in and slowly deemphasize athletics, gut the budget and bring us to the land of SLU basketball?  This is always the best way for him to get that next gig, the AD job at Notre Dame.  It is also clear that the millions MU spends on their recruiting budget, their overall program budget and Buzz Williams salary are just a façade.  A clearer approach to success should be modeled after the Northwestern basketball program and to recruit only players that Northwestern also deems acceptable.  Beware the Trojan horsemen that are Pilarz and Williams (ND grad, not the Buzzard)

I would like to thank our guest, Dr. Hasselfdorf, author of "Hostage Terrorist, Terrorist Hostage: A Study in Duality” for his analysis today on the Marquette Basketball press release and the true meaning behind these words.  This story is sure to bubble up again as the ball squeezing begins again in earnest in the coming years.  God Save the Queen.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:31:27 PM by Hoopaloop »
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2424 on: March 28, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »
Entirely possible and I have no factual way of disputing what you have laid out.

I guess I hope/suspect:

#1 Larry is smarter than this. I don't know the man, but I hope MU went through an in-depth hiring process and found a good AD. That doesn't mean he hasn't made a mistake(s) though, or that there haven't been some growing pains.

#2 Buzz hasn't taken the media comments personally. I know Buzz is an emotional guy so he might... but Buzz lays some pretty interesting quotes on us when he talks about his "employees", so I hope he's not offended when Larry is honest about his coach. I think Larry's comments were accurate. Buzz loves his guys, and we know that. But, in his first few interviews we were all pretty surprised at the way he talked about them so honestly.

I share all of your hopes

feedback