[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507110 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: SMU Fans' Thread on Getting Buzz is Adorable
« Reply #1725 on: March 27, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
But can someone please make an educated guess as to WHAT IN THE WORLD WOULD BE "THE TERMS" that MU would be proposing with which Buzz is allegedly struggling?

Whether it's fair or not, I would not be even remotely surprised if one of the things that the Administration is talking about is JUCOs.  When Buzz signed a bunch of JUCOs there was some concern about the stigma that has sometimes attached to JUCOs and comments that hopefully there would not be any off-the-court issues.  Again, I'm not saying that those concerns were/are fair, but there is a long-standing stigma attached to JUCOs.  Then Clark got charged with rape before he ever came to campus.  Then we've had multiple off-the-court issues here.  I'm not saying that the JUCOs were responsible for those issues (I might be the only person who still doesn't know who was involved).  I'm not arguing cause and effect.  I'm just saying that I could see the administration thinking, "when you brought in JUCOs were were afraid there would be issues; and there were issues..."

I'll sit back and prepare to take the abuse that is sure to follow...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

SMU20

• Walk-On
« Reply #1726 on: March 27, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
If he stays its because he really loves you guys....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: March 27, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »
+1

restricting Buzz to " ND/Northwestern type kids" could be taken as a racist comment.

I find it humorous that some think a president who came from Georgetown and an AD who came from Notre Dame would take a hard line on admission standards, even raising them above those of the general student population. Cause, you know, those schools would never bend the rules for athletes.
Insanity abounds.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:01:29 PM by Pakuni »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: March 27, 2012, 11:59:12 AM »
My guess is it's more along the lines of
1) Do  more to keep your players out of the police blotter
2) Dish out appropriate discipline when your efforts on part 1 fail

Not altogether unreasonable.

But:

1) If these terms are new to Buzz, why would Buzz have a problem with any of that (unless his entire character is a charade)
2) If Buzz is already doing this, why is the AD digging in their heels?
3) No one has been suspended for academic reasons, and everyone is apparently graduating (or making progress)... so if MU is voluntarily putting academic thresholds for athletes in place in response to nothing, it will be the first university in the country to do so.

It seems to me that Buzz already grasps the magnitude of the scrutiny of his players and the university, and he also seems like the guy who isn't going to simply let things slide.  So none of this makes any sense at all.  Either Buzz and the AD are being stupid, or we all are.  My vote is the latter.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: March 27, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »
If he stays its because he really loves you guys....

Says the guy who posted earlier today that SMU isn't throwing enough money for him to leave.

You know nothing like most of us here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: March 27, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »
Whether it's fair or not, I would not be even remotely surprised if one of the things that the Administration is talking about is JUCOs.  When Buzz signed a bunch of JUCOs there was some concern about the stigma that has sometimes attached to JUCOs and comments that hopefully there would not be any off-the-court issues.  Again, I'm not saying that those concerns were/are fair, but there is a long-standing stigma attached to JUCOs.  Then Clark got charged with rape before he ever came to campus.  Then we've had multiple off-the-court issues here.  I'm not saying that the JUCOs were responsible for those issues (I might be the only person who still doesn't know who was involved).  I'm not arguing cause and effect.  I'm just saying that I could see the administration thinking, "when you brought in JUCOs were were afraid there would be issues; and there were issues..."

So, they let it go for four years (and under Crean as well), took in a bunch of JUCOs who generally turned out to be high quality kids, and now are saying no more JUCOs?
No.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: March 27, 2012, 12:02:13 PM »
Final decisions haven't been made. Just stating what I am hearing. People who were nervous sunday and felt better monday are more nervous again.  If you don't want me to post this stuff I won't. Not trying to get people riled up. Just stating what I am hearing. 

SMU20

• Walk-On
« Reply #1732 on: March 27, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
I know more than you and have been pretty darn accurate

If I offered you what he is being offered you would give up your MU degree in a heartbeat...

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: March 27, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »
But:

1) If these terms are new to Buzz, why would Buzz have a problem with any of that (unless his entire character is a charade)
2) If Buzz is already doing this, why is the AD digging in their heels?
3) No one has been suspended for academic reasons, and everyone is apparently graduating (or making progress)... so if MU is voluntarily putting academic thresholds for athletes in place in response to nothing, it will be the first university in the country to do so.

It seems to me that Buzz already grasps the magnitude of the scrutiny of his players and the university, and he also seems like the guy who isn't going to simply let things slide.  So none of this makes any sense at all.  Either Buzz and the AD are being stupid, or we all are.  My vote is the latter.

well said. completely agree.
btw, this is like our version of the OJ trial, i could watch this all day...

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: March 27, 2012, 12:03:04 PM »
Final decisions haven't been made. Just stating what I am hearing. People who were nervous sunday and felt better monday are more nervous again.  If you don't want me to post this stuff I won't. Not trying to get people riled up. Just stating what I am hearing. 

Give us more...those who don't like it don't have to read it.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #1735 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
Can SMU really afford Buzz if he did go there?

They paid Doherty around $500,000 last year the "rumor" of $2.6 million.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »
I know more than you and have been pretty darn accurate

If I offered you what he is being offered you would give up your MU degree in a heartbeat...

You have 3 posts.  2 contradicting each other plus this one.  I don't know how you can be accurate shooting the crap from both sides of the spectrum.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1737 on: March 27, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »
So, they let it go for four years (and under Crean as well), took in a bunch of JUCOs who generally turned out to be high quality kids, and now are saying no more JUCOs?
No.

Have you been paying attention for the last year?  There was nothing to "let go" for four years.  In the last 12 months we've been in the press a bit more than we're used to.

I don't think the JUCOs were responsible for any of this -- and I think Jimmy Butler is one of the highest quality kids to ever wear the uniform.  But, if the Administration is looking for an issue to dig its heels in about, it wouldn't surprise me if this was one.  Never forget that those of us on this board follow things much more closely than the average alum -- or even the average fan.  They may be fighting the perception that JUCOs came in and now we're on the front page of the Chicago Tribune.  I don't think it's fair, but I do think it's a possible issue.

Since you seem to know what the issues aren't, how about you share what they are.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: March 27, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »
Then you are far smarter than I am.

I honestly have no idea how it would play out. I like Buzz. Dude works hard. Dude is talented.

But, I still have no idea how the SMU/MU futures will work out. Far too many unknowns and variables for me to make a proclamation.

I would never claim to be smarter than you. You're a very well spoken and thoughtful guy and I'm sure that your IQ is impressive.

You are also EXTREMELY cautious and nuanced. That's not all bad - "on the other hand" should be part of any discussion.

But if you really "have no idea" what the impact of Buzz to SMU would mean to them and us, what's the point of entering the discussion?

My point was that just because you'll be waiting 5 years to decide whether Buzz to SMU would be good for them and bad for us, please don't insult every "Buzz freak" by insinuating he/she will do the same. I (and every other "Buzz freak" on the board) is pretty much on the record that this would be a boon for SMU and a disaster for Marquette, and we won't wait until they come to Milwaukee and kick our a$$ to say as much.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: March 27, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »
Issue isn't incoming academics but progress when they are here and discipline.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #1740 on: March 27, 2012, 12:06:31 PM »
Can SMU really afford Buzz if he did go there?

They paid Doherty around $500,000 last year the "rumor" of $2.6 million.

You do know how many millionaires/billionaires SMU has produced and actively support their athletic programs right?  They have 10+ Dick Strongs on their side.

SMU20

• Walk-On
« Reply #1741 on: March 27, 2012, 12:06:56 PM »
more like 50

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1742 on: March 27, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »

No... one of two.  Which makes my following character analysis possibly irrelevant...

JUCO's:

Joe Fulce - Never got into trouble as far as any of us know.  Seemed like a good guy.  Graduated, no?
Jimmy Butler - Whatever... if you got something bad to say about JFB, you're an idiot.
Dwight Buycks - May fit the unfortunate (and erroneous) JUCO stigma the best.  But I don't recall him getting into trouble either.
DJO - Speculation about being at a bar in January.  No official reports he was involved in anything.
Jae Crowder - Nothing ever goes unnoticed for a guy with Jae's presence.  If he's ever been involved in anything, it would have to be a CIA-level coverup.  To me, he's the epitomy of what MU basketball should be... a hard working, persistent, talented individual.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: March 27, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »
No.

Pretty sure disallowing qualified JUCO's admittance is against federal law...maybe the DOE can add that to their investigation list of MU's administration?

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #1744 on: March 27, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »
Aha!!! Doc Rivers is behind this.  Setting himself up for life after the "old man Celtics" are toast.

"ok fellow board members. I am officially ready to take the post you've always wanted me to take and lead this university to the promise land. Time to start those Buzz to SMU rumors. MUScoop.com will eat those rumors up causing internal controversy giving us reason push Buzz out."

http://www.marquette.edu/about/leadership/trustees.shtml

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: March 27, 2012, 12:13:21 PM »
Doc would be nice replacement.

Warrior4Life

• Walk-On
Report: Buzz is Leaving
« Reply #1746 on: March 27, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
My friend that works for MUTV got an email stating that Buzz is leaving. Wow.

klyrish

• All American
Re: Report: Buzz is Leaving
« Reply #1747 on: March 27, 2012, 12:13:57 PM »
My friend that works for MUTV got an email stating that Buzz isn't leaving. Wow.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1748 on: March 27, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »
100 pages seems like a reasonable goal.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Report: Buzz is Leaving
« Reply #1749 on: March 27, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »
First post...not buyin it.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback