Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gainsville newspaper article on MU v Fla  (Read 7809 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Gainsville newspaper article on MU v Fla
« on: March 19, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Gainsville newspaper article on MU v Fla
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:55:53 PM »
Gainsville paper article from today

http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/11474/looking-ahead-to-marquette/

It looks like the LSU and Vandy games have Florida thinking happy, and why shouldn't they be.  Let's hope that lasts right up to tip off.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Albert Gator

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »
It looks like the LSU and Vandy games have Florida thinking happy, and why shouldn't they be.  Let's hope that lasts right up to tip off.

We are confident.  How did you lose to LSU?  Vanderbilt by 20 in your building?  We feel good.  Shut down either Crowder or Odom and game over.  Contain both of them and let a third guy beat us.  We don't see your third guy as a threat.  Being honest.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »
We are confident.  How did you lose to LSU?  Vanderbilt by 20 in your building?  We feel good.  Shut down either Crowder or Odom and game over.  Contain both of them and let a third guy beat us.  We don't see your third guy as a threat.  Being honest.
Both games were right after we lost Otule.  Buzz admitted he did not adjust the team for that loss.  Since then, though, we are a completely different team.  But, I hope you look to those games as who we are.  That will come back to bite you.

MU's supporting cast has taken turns with the scoring.  Blue, JWilson, Gardner, Mayo can all get to double figures.  Again, I hope you don't see them as a threat.

Unfortunately, I cannot expect Donovan to be as naive as you.  But, one can hope.

Albert Gator

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »
Both games were right after we lost Otule.  Buzz admitted he did not adjust the team for that loss.  Since then, though, we are a completely different team.  But, I hope you look to those games as who we are.  That will come back to bite you.

MU's supporting cast has taken turns with the scoring.  Blue, JWilson, Gardner, Mayo can all get to double figures.  Again, I hope you don't see them as a threat.

Unfortunately, I cannot expect Donovan to be as naive as you.  But, one can hope.

No need to get angry little fella.  I've seen my share of Big East games as we have a Big East team here in the state.  I am not naive but calling it the way I see it.  The same way those experts see it.  They must be naive.  Blue is not a scorer.  Cadhougan is not a scorer.  Mayo might be, but has looked inconsistent.  You have two bonafide superstars and the big man from Virginia that can do some damage against some teams. He appears limited in his conditioning. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »

We were bad vs LSU and Vandy. But we handled Wisconsin on the road and they just took out Vanderbilt. We also routed Rutgers. How did you guys possibly lose to Rutgers?

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »
Eureka, you have discovered the secret... just stop DJO and Crowder... no other team has come to this conclusion.  It's an easy task, it's just that no other team has come to this conclusion.  That's how MU got their 27 wins.

Nice to know the gator trolls are coming out...

It should be a good game.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »

Well then, lets just not play you guys.

On the other hand, you are not going to play a harder working bunch of misfit toys than Marquette. Good luck, you are going to need it.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »
No need to get angry little fella.  I've seen my share of Big East games as we have a Big East team here in the state.  I am not naive but calling it the way I see it.  The same way those experts see it.  They must be naive.  Blue is not a scorer.  Cadhougan is not a scorer.  Mayo might be, but has looked inconsistent.  You have two bonafide superstars and the big man from Virginia that can do some damage against some teams. He appears limited in his conditioning. 
Who's angry little missy?  You can really divine emotion in a response?  How exciting, we have a basketball "expert" and an "expert" internet psychoanalyst all wrapped up in one condescending little package. You really are a condescending little pr!ck, aren't you?

You are citing two "experts" that agree with your "expertise".  Others do not, but I guess they are not experts, right?  I can tell you have seen some BE basketball.  Doesn't make you an expert.  I do think, though, you should share your expertise with Donovan.  I can only hope he see's things your way.  Though, I doubt he is interested in your "expertise".

MU has played better teams than Florida.  Been able to score against all of them.  Each likely tried to shut down our two leaders.  None have been successful.  But, they do not have a great a coach or an "expert" like you.

Your last post does make you appear to be an a$$.  Now that is an expert analysis.  I just call 'em as I see 'em.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:30:16 PM »

I'm sure this is Billy Donovan's line of thinking as well.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 07:32:44 PM »
Eureka, you have discovered the secret... just stop DJO and Crowder... no other team has come to this conclusion.  It's an easy task, it's just that no other team has come to this conclusion.  That's how MU got their 27 wins.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 07:32:53 PM »
No need to get angry little fella.  I've seen my share of Big East games as we have a Big East team here in the state.  I am not naive but calling it the way I see it.  The same way those experts see it.  They must be naive.  Blue is not a scorer.  Cadhougan is not a scorer.  Mayo might be, but has looked inconsistent.  You have two bonafide superstars and the big man from Virginia that can do some damage against some teams. He appears limited in his conditioning.  

It may be be a little harder to stop DJO and Crowder with just wishful thinking, but overall that's a pretty fair assessment, except that Davante has been very proactive in his conditioning (outside his injury). He's probably lost 2 whole Floridian girls in weight since he arrived at MU.

Let me take a stab at Florida now though. As a fan of a team that went 0-2 against the Big East, I wouldn't really gloat about how many Big East games you've seen. As they've all resulted in loses for your team. Besides that, you're team lives and dies by the three...a very easy thing to disrupt with a physical game. Florida is 0-8 against the most physical teams they've played this year. In other words, I'm about 600x happier that we are playing you guys instead of Missouri as you guys have gaping holes in your style of play. There's a reason we are a 3 seed and your team is a 7.

That said, best of luck on Thursday. I'm sure the best team will win.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:35:28 PM by kryza »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 07:33:25 PM »

It should be a good game.
Just think if some NBA team would have been smart enough to hire this "expert".  Jordan and the Bulls would have never won a Championship.  She had the knowledge that no one else did.  She could have told them "just shut down Jordan and you will win".  Damn, that is so brilliant.  I bet if some of the BE coaches read this they would be kicking themselves right now.  JTIII could have had the #2 seed, if only he had known.  BRILLIANT!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:45:51 PM by MUMac »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »

MuMac gets mad anytime you speak honestly about about MU's limitations. They aren't "scorers" per say but they are capable of getting in double figures, Wilson and Crowder especially. Blue is a non factor on the offensive end but Junior is pretty good at picking his spots. Mayo has also been heating up.

And don't you think that every team tries to contain Crowder and Odom? Easier said, they are both major matchup problems for opponents. Lastly, I can almost guarantee Florida hasn't played a team that plays as hard as Marquette for 40 minutes.

Should be a good one.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
I gotta ask, why the crown?

Keep Calm & Carry On. British propaganda from WW II

http://youtu.be/FrHkKXFRbCI

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »

If I was a Gator, I'd look at those games too. The LSU one is worst loss of season. It was a clear choke after the 13-0 start when they thought it'd be easy. As for Vandy, it's no stretch to say it was the best performance all season from the Dores and it came off of the Christmas break, perfect recipe for ass kicking.

Speaking of common opponents, the Gators needed a miraculous second half to beat Ole Miss whereas the Warriors absolutely crapsmoked the little Rebs. There's also the Rutgers fiasco for the Gators but not sure we need to get into that.

Summing it up, there's plenty of evidence to feel confident for both sets of fans.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
We are confident.  How did you lose to LSU?  Vanderbilt by 20 in your building?  We feel good.  Shut down either Crowder or Odom and game over.  Contain both of them and let a third guy beat us.  We don't see your third guy as a threat.  Being honest.

Marquette lost to LSU (18-15, RPI: 87) back on December 19. Florida lost to Georgia (15-18, RPI: 104) on February 25. Florida also has 2 losses to Tennessee (18-15, RPI: 82), lost to Vandy in late February and is 3-4 in their last 7 games. They played well against Virginia and Norfolk State, teams that are both worse, RPI-wise, than BYU and Murray State.

Not saying it's going to be a cakewalk for MU by any stretch, but Albie seems pretty confident for a team whose resume doesn't stack up all that favorably with his opponents'.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:46:13 PM by MerrittsMustache »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
MuMac gets mad anytime you speak honestly about about MU's limitations. They aren't "scorers" per say but they are capable of getting in double figures, Wilson and Crowder especially. Blue is a non factor on the offensive end but Junior is pretty good at picking his spots. Mayo has also been heating up.

And don't you think that every team tries to contain Crowder and Odom? Easier said, they are both major matchup problems for opponents. Lastly, I can almost guarantee Florida hasn't played a team that plays as hard as Marquette for 40 minutes.

Should be a good one.
Come on little man.  You still upset that I took you to task for your comments about Blue and the fact you totally discounted his positive contributions and focused solely on his offense?  You were the one that was critical and wanted him replaced by Mayo, right?  That wanted him benched, correct?  You sure you want to get butt whipped again?  

Give it a rest.  You showed no basketball acumen, I called you out and you have cried ever since. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:04:06 PM by MUMac »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
Marquette lost to LSU (18-15, RPI: 87) back on December 19. Florida lost to Georgia (15-18, RPI: 104) on February 25. Florida also has 2 losses to Tennessee (18-15, RPI: 22), lost to Vandy in late February and is 3-4 in their last 7 games. They played well against Virginia and Norfolk State, teams that are both worse, RPI-wise, than BYU and Murray State.

Not saying it's going to be a cakewalk for MU by any stretch, but Albie seems pretty confident for a team whose resume doesn't stack up all that favorably with his opponents'.

Just for the record, Tennessee's not even close to 22 in RPI. Close to 122 than they are 22. They finished at 84. They are not a good team. They beat Florida easy enough twice, but that still doesn't make them a good team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »
Just for the record, Tennessee's not even close to 22 in RPI. Close to 122 than they are 22. They finished at 84. They are not a good team. They beat Florida easy enough twice, but that still doesn't make them a good team.

Knowing MerrittsMustache, I'm guessing that that was a typo.  Thanks for clearing it up.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »

Tenn lost at home tonight to middle tenn state in the NIT.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »

Oops. I meant 82 (at least that's what I had last seen). I'll fix that.

Albert Gator

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »
Who's angry little missy?  You can really divine emotion in a response?  How exciting, we have a basketball "expert" and an "expert" internet psychoanalyst all wrapped up in one condescending little package. You really are a condescending little pr!ck, aren't you?

I have read about 50 posts here tonight.  After reading about Buzz's dealings with posters here, how he might be upset or might not be, other threads about passive aggressive posters, other threads about getting on your knees and pleading your coach to stay and appealing to his ego.  I'd say you guys here have the psychoanalyst positions all to yourself.  In spades.