[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Illinois to have Marquette License Plates  (Read 18093 times)

Warrior1996

• Walk-On
Illinois to have Marquette License Plates
« on: May 31, 2007, 10:35:30 AM »
Some out-of-state universities may get special Illinois plates

By DANA HEUPEL
STATE CAPITOL BUREAU

Published Thursday, May 31, 2007

Some private universities in adjacent states could have their own specialty Illinois license plates under legislation headed for the governor's desk.

The Illinois Senate approved a bill Wednesday to allow private universities in contiguous states with more than 10,000 alumni in Illinois to request the plates. Money from the specialty plates would go for scholarships for Illinois students who attend those universities.

Senate Bill 169 passed on a 37-18 vote, with Sen. Kirk Dillard, R-Hinsdale, among those voting against it.

Dillard said he wanted to know how Illinois college presidents would feel about the legislation.

"I'd like to hear from the president of DePaul or Loyola what they think about having Marquette license plates running around the streets of Chicagoland," he said. Marquette is in Milwaukee.

"I think this may end up hurting Illinois private universities - it may hurt the University of Illinois - and we're here at the 11th hour of the session, and I certainly have not had a lot of input about this," Dillard said.

"We are only talking about a handful of universities in this state that have that many alumni," said Sen. Terry Link, D-Waukegan, who sponsored the bill in the Senate. "If they want to spend extra dollars and buy a license plate to have pride in their university and help an Illinois resident have a scholarship to go to the university, why not?"

Specialty plates already exist for Illinois universities and colleges. Tom Hardy, spokesman for the University of Illinois, said that institution was neutral on the bill.

Dillard said the legislation also would benefit the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., and wondered if it could encourage Illinois students to attend out-of-state schools.

"Studies will show you that if you are educated out of Illinois, you are more likely to remain out of Illinois upon graduation," he said, adding that he would like to see other states offer specialty plates for private schools in Illinois.

Public institutions in the contiguous states could want the same treatment, Dillard said.

"Everything in the legislature is incremental," he said, "so I look for the Iowa Hawkeyes and Wisconsin Badger fans to be pressuring state legislators for their license plates in the Land of Lincoln in the near future."

The Illinois specialty plates would cost motorists $40 on top of the usual $78 fee in the first year, and an additional $27 for each renewal. For the initial plates, $25 would go to the Illinois Student Assistance Commission for scholarships to those universities, and $15 to the secretary of state's office for administrative costs in producing the plates. For renewals, $25 would go for scholarships and $2 would go to the secretary of state.

The legislation also would create junior-golf specialty plates for the Illinois Professional Golfers Association Foundation. For the initial plates, $25 of the $40 additional cost would go toward grants for junior golfers and $15 would go to the secretary of state. For renewals, $38 would go for the grants and $2 would go to the secretary of state.

Among area senators, Deanna Demuzio, D-Carlinville, and John Sullivan, D-Rushville, supported the bill, while Larry Bomke, R-Springfield, did not vote.

Laura Camper of the State Capitol Bureau contributed to this report. Dana Heupel can be reached at 788-1518 or dana.heupel@sj-r.com.

Print Story  |  Close Window
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Illinois to have Marquette License Plates
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:57:55 AM »
I've never understood why every four year UW Campus gets its own license plates in Wisconsin, but Marquette does not.  Heck, look at the DOT site at all the plates you can get in Wisconsin:  http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/index.htm

Ducks Unlimited?  Freemasons?  Golf Wisconsin?  I could care less, but you'd think some legislator with an MU degree would slip in the ability to get MU plates.
Ludum habemus.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 11:17:29 AM »
Yet another reason why Illinois is a far better place than Wisconsin.  ;D

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:21:39 AM »
Awesome.  Just awesome.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
An explanation from years ago
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 11:58:50 AM »
I've never understood why every four year UW Campus gets its own license plates in Wisconsin, but Marquette does not.  Heck, look at the DOT site at all the plates you can get in Wisconsin:  http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/index.htm

Ducks Unlimited?  Freemasons?  Golf Wisconsin?  I could care less, but you'd think some legislator with an MU degree would slip in the ability to get MU plates.

When I worked in the department one of my initiatives was to get Marquette as a license plate option because Univ - Wisconsin had them.  You can't believe the roadblocks at every turn that I was given.  Primary was that MU was a private religious school and therefore not eligible for a public plate using public dollars.  I reached out to a couple of lawmakers with MU backgrounds who basically said we had no chance as a department.

Now, this was way back in probably 1998 if memory serves correctly.  I don't know what the political atmosphere or appetite is today, but with the state always looking for revenues it seems to me a no brainer (unless the private / religious school deal is still in play).  So that's the history from 9 or 10 years ago.  I don't know what efforts have been made since.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Not sure what the problem is....
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 12:09:31 PM »
Indiana has plates you can buy saying "In God We Trust" also plates from Wabash, DePaul and Notre Dame

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: An explanation from years ago
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 12:16:06 PM »

When I worked in the department one of my initiatives was to get Marquette as a license plate option because Univ - Wisconsin had them.  You can't believe the roadblocks at every turn that I was given.  Primary was that MU was a private religious school and therefore not eligible for a public plate using public dollars.  I reached out to a couple of lawmakers with MU backgrounds who basically said we had no chance as a department.

Now, this was way back in probably 1998 if memory serves correctly.  I don't know what the political atmosphere or appetite is today, but with the state always looking for revenues it seems to me a no brainer (unless the private / religious school deal is still in play).  So that's the history from 9 or 10 years ago.  I don't know what efforts have been made since.

Since the Packers have plates there is no reason Marquette should not.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 12:18:20 PM »
I think one of the major differences between IL and WI is that there is no huge statewide loyalty to U of Illinois inside IL.

Unlike WI, IL residents actually go out of state for college, and we don't have the benefit of a thirteen-campus state college system.  People from IL go to Marquette, ND, Purdue, Indiana, and Iowa in large numbers for college.

Its great that IL is recognizing the tens of thousands of MU alums and students who reside in the state, and its also nice to see Notre Dame get recognized as well since, like Marquette, a huge portion of their students and alums are from or reside in IL.

Wisconsin is an extremely provincial culture and it doesn't surprise me that they would refuse to make MU license plates.  Marquette is really seen as an afternthought by a lot of people in the state, whose main focuses are Brett Favre's daily mood swings, when hunting season begins, and when Bo Ryan is going to pick up his latest snazzy red jacket.

Its another sad commentary on Wisconsin.  I really wonder if U of Wisconsin's main campus was located somewhere else besides the state capital if that would make a difference in how Marquette is treated by the state.

Not only do you get better Marquette coverage in Chicago, you can now also get a MU license plate.  Cool Stuff.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Not sure what the problem is....
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 12:38:30 PM »
Indiana has plates you can buy saying "In God We Trust" also plates from Wabash, DePaul and Notre Dame

Yes, but Indiana isn't run by the People's Republic of Madison.

;)

mugrad99

• Team Captain
ACLU may be suing Indiana
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 12:47:06 PM »
The vanity plates with "In God We Trust" were offered for no extra charge, while other vanity plates had an extra charge...they do have a point on this....but what are the damages?

augoman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Isn't it pathetic that the ACLU has deteriorated to such an extent?  Why aren't they suing SLU over state funds for the new facility?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »
I am writing my state legislators RIGHT NOW.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 01:16:16 PM »
I am writing my state legislators RIGHT NOW.

I did that at lunch. Found out my state senator is a MU grad.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: ACLU may be suing Indiana
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 02:05:53 PM »
The vanity plates with "In God We Trust" were offered for no extra charge, while other vanity plates had an extra charge...they do have a point on this....but what are the damages?

Great question.  The mindset then with the people I met with from Madison was that they couldn't open up that "pandora's box" of providing an official state license with a private religious university.

Probably similar to the crap we went through here in Los Angeles two years ago when the county seal had to have the cross removed because the ACLU demanded it for threat of a lawsuit.  Afterall that small cross on the seal was sure to cause people to be forced with RELIGION CRAMMED DOWN THEIR THROATS.   /sarcasm off

Old Seal

New Seal

Note the oil wells were also removed....I'm sure as a way to get back at the evil oil companies.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 02:09:37 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 02:42:50 PM »
That is very interesting that "Stars" were ok, because if I am not wrong, isn't a star a significant religious symbol in both Islamic and Jewish faiths (wiccans as well)?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 02:45:10 PM by MU Chi_IL »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 03:07:55 PM »
That is very interesting that "Stars" were ok, because if I am not wrong, isn't a star a significant religious symbol in both Islamic and Jewish faiths (wiccans as well)?

The stars were supposed to represent the movie and television industry as the semi-circle below it is the Hollywood Bowl.  Or at least that's my understanding from a few years ago.  The whole thing is so damn silly.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »
I was just going to get a yellow packers plate and put a MU sticker over the packer logo but don't want to give a nickel to either the packers or the state.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 03:24:29 PM »
Very impressed!

A conspiracy by the Golden Domers fires back at the IL residents and gives you MU alums in Chitown and the rest of Chicagoland (everything else in IL except for Chicago proper) a beautiful chance to show that MU spirit!

I just wish I could get one in CA!!!  :-[

Unless...
SS Marquette

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 12:46:34 AM »
I don't understand that legislators point about officials from DePaul and Loyola getting upset about MU plates.    What do they care?    These people have always been MU alums so they're not competing for DePaul or Loyola plates.   Illinois has tons of proud MU, UW, IU, Purdue, and Iowa alums.   I view it as a nice revenue producer for the state and a classy gesture.   

mutpm

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 06:44:10 AM »
I don't think the legislators are worried about the alums.  I think they are worried about the advertising the out of state private schools would get from this and keep future DePaul and Loyola students from staying home.  I don't agree with that, but that's probably the logic. 

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 06:44:33 AM »

I'm pretty sure any organization in Wisconsin, public or private, can have it's own plate.  They just have to pay an up front fee for it.  This was put into place maybe 5 or 6 years ago.