Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUDPT
[Today at 07:05:44 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

If Syracuse Has To Vacate The Season, Does MU Hang A Banner?

Yes
60 (29.9%)
No
141 (70.1%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Author Topic: Vote: If Syracuse Has To Vacate The Season, Does MU Hang A Banner?  (Read 15467 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
http://www.suathletics.com/news/2012/3/13/MBB_0313122020.aspx

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7681715/2012-ncaa-tournament-syracuse-orange-announce-fab-melo-ineligible-tourney

Melo was held out of three games earlier this season while he resolved an academic issue. Syracuse went 2-1 during that absence.

Melo was declared ineligible by Syracuse, not the NCAA, according to Bob Williams, the NCAA vice president of communications. Citing a source, ESPN.com had reported earlier that the NCAA had revisited Melo's previous suspension. Williams said that the NCAA only deals in an athlete's initial eligibility; once a player is on campus, his eligibility is the responsibility of the school.

Discussed here
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=31395.0

-----

Their is a real possibility that they might have to vacate the season.  If so, does the number #2 team win the regular season?  That would be MU.

and if that indeed happens, should MU hang a banner as BE regular season champions?

If say yes!  If nothing else, the punish has to mean something.  If they vacate than Cuse has to come to realization that the season never happened.

Related, should the BE coaches re-vote on BE defensive player of the year?

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Vote: If Syracuse Has To Vacate The Season, Does MU Hang A Banner?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
No. We didn't win the games, and who is to say they wouldn't have won without him?

Vacated seasons by a winning team never go back and declare the losing team the winner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 05:49:19 PM »
No. We didn't win the games, and who is to say they wouldn't have won without him?

Vacated seasons by a winning team never go back and declare the losing team the winner.

I guess that is my point.  If they went back and declared second place the winner, and acted as if the offending team did not even exist, it would offer an extra incentive not to cheat.

Otherwise, their is every incentive to cheat and then get vacated and act as if nothing happened.  See Calipari, everyone still says he's been to three final fours.  The first two were vacated.  Last year was his first.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »

This.

I would guess if they do vacate the BE title, it will remain that way.  I don't see them giving it to the #2 team.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
The league would just vacates the title, especially with an unbalanced schedule.  Some schools played Syracuse twice so they would be doubly impacted.  
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »
Let's win one in April. Only one banner means anything to me. Plus the 77 banner needs some company.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
We need to take down a number of banners as is, and make a final four run before we put any more up. Granted the VCU banner for their end of the year ranking is bad, but I still cringe just thinking about our  Great Alaska Shootout banner...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »
Is it too late to vacate 'Cuse's NCAA invite?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
We did not win the title.....I'm a purist....no banner.

However, that should not stop us from laughing.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 06:33:20 PM »
No. Ohio State doesn't hang a banner reading "1992 Final Four" because they lost to Michigan in the Elite 8 in a Final Four vacated by UM.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
Had we won it outright, yes. But even if they come back and declare us champs, I say no. You hang banners for what you earn on the court, not what's adjucated in the NCAA's court.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
Only if it replaced a "We're #2" banner

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »
this is so weak. no. not even a question.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
this is so weak. no. not even a question.

Then what is the incentive to not cheat?  If MU had put Gerry Boyle on the case, we would have Montrele Clark as our starting center, we would be a 1 seed and conference champion and gives a sh*t about the rest.

It's time that teams get punished for cheating and we start now.  We hang a banner, set the precedent, and let Syracuse know they never existed.  Let it serve as a warning for the next cheater.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 07:21:02 PM »
Then what is the incentive to not cheat?  If MU had put Gerry Boyle on the case, we would have Montrele Clark as our starting center, we would be a 1 seed and conference champion and gives a sh*t about the rest.

It's time that teams get punished for cheating and we start now.  We hang a banner, set the precedent, and let Syracuse know they never existed.  Let it serve as a warning for the next cheater.
no question that cuse needs to/will be punished. take away their banner, yes(if, in fact, he was ineligible during games they won). put one up in our building? no.

there is no "everyone gets a trophy day" in the big east.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
Unless the banner comes with a giant Asterisk...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »
We need to take down a number of banners as is, and make a final four run before we put any more up. Granted the VCU banner for their end of the year ranking is bad, but I still cringe just thinking about our  Great Alaska Shootout banner...

I think the majority of those are taken down in the BC. The banners I can think of are the 77, 74, 2003 banners, and the 1952 Catholic Tournament ones. There may be two conference championship ones.

I don't think Marquette would hang one, but I'm sure Crean would hang one at IU if Cuse's title gets vacated.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »

Whoa, where is there anything of fact the Cuse cheated?  He was suspended for academic reasons, but the facts have not come out.

If they had cheated, though, and you vacate their title.  Isn't that their punishment?  How does MU hanging a banner add to their punishment?

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 07:33:15 PM »
Definitely no to the banner. We wouldn't have won it on the court, like Brew said.

Definitely yes to the Defensive Player of the Year. Said it in the other thread - I don't see how he got it in the first place, having missed a good number of games due to ineligibility during the regular season.

john31

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 07:57:34 PM »
I have a question....what if this came out or was found out in late April after Syracuse had won the NCAA tournament? Would the team that lost to them claim the Championship? The real reason I ask is that during last year's game I congratulated my brother in a(a Butler graduate) on a national championship because UCONN's season would be vacated.......  just asking.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conference_USA_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

Granted this is a conference tournament and not a regular season title, but Memphis had to forfeit all of its games and they are still listed as the C-USA champion.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 08:20:17 PM »
But, if we need it, I4's got a guy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »
Syracuse is going to be punished.....they're going to the ACC.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 08:23:51 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conference_USA_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

Granted this is a conference tournament and not a regular season title, but Memphis had to forfeit all of its games and they are still listed as the C-USA champion.

This is why we need to hang a banner, vacating means nothing.  If we hang a banner, we make it mean something.

kira67

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »
If somebody cheats at the Olympics, Silver Medal gets the Gold, so I say, let's hang a "2012 Big East Champs" banner.