Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was Jones really be left off a first team ballot by one coach?  (Read 5873 times)

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
Did I read correctly that Jones got left off the ballot by one coach (not Huggins, he can't vote for his own player).  How can the Big East leader in points and rebounds be left off the first team?  That coach has some explaining to do.

WVU fans are whining about Jae winning it, but Jae deserved it as a better all around player.  However, they have every right to be hopping mad about Jones being left off a first team ballot.  That is crazy.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:21:17 PM by Hoopaloop »
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Did Jones really be left off a first team ballot by one coach?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »
Did I read correctly that Jones got left off the ballot by one coach (not Huggins, he can't vote for his own player).  How can the Big East leader in points and rebounds be left off the first team?  That coach has some explaining to do.

WVU fans are whining about Jae winning it, but Jae deserved it as a better all around player.  However, they have every right to be hopping mad about Jones being left off a first team ballot.  That is crazy.

I agree.   He be left off a first team ballot and he got a right to biotch about it.   :D
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

avid1010

• All American
Re: Was Jones really be left off a first team ballot by one coach?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
Did I read correctly that Jones got left off the ballot by one coach (not Huggins, he can't vote for his own player).  How can the Big East leader in points and rebounds be left off the first team?  That coach has some explaining to do.

WVU fans are whining about Jae winning it, but Jae deserved it as a better all around player.  However, they have every right to be hopping mad about Jones being left off a first team ballot.  That is crazy.
I would agree that Jae is the better all around player, and he also plays on the superior team.  WV couldn't beat us playing with a number of players suspended, and Jae was clearly better than Jones in that match-up.

As far as Jones being left off the first team ballot by one coach...if I had to guess...the way Pitino has been lobbying for the BEAST...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »
Maybe there's a coach out there who actually votes by position (PG, 2G, SF, PW, C) rather than just picking the best 5 players. I confess I don't know how (or even if) they are "instructed", but under those circumstances someone may have felt Crowder and Jones were competing for the same slot (PF).

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »
I wonder who "Hoopaloop" thinks it was?

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »
I absolutely disagree with any assumption that a coach has to vote in any certain way.  That is akin to questioning how someone fills out their ballot on election day.  They can fill out their ballot any damn way they want.

If a coach wants to "protect" one of his players chances by leaving another potentialy deserving player off the ballot then that is his choice.

If a coach wants to not vote for a player becuase he plays for a team that is leaving the conference and his school is suing the conference instead of following agreed upon protocal and therefore hurting the future viablity of said conference then so be it.

if the coach left him off becuase he had a bad game against them the day they played or voted by position or simply did not think he was top 6 then so be it!

They can vote however they want. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »

A squirmy coach

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »
I absolutely disagree with any assumption that a coach has to vote in any certain way.  That is akin to questioning how someone fills out their ballot on election day.  They can fill out their ballot any damn way they want.

If a coach wants to "protect" one of his players chances by leaving another potentialy deserving player off the ballot then that is his choice.

If a coach wants to not vote for a player becuase he plays for a team that is leaving the conference and his school is suing the conference instead of following agreed upon protocal and therefore hurting the future viablity of said conference then so be it.

if the coach left him off becuase he had a bad game against them the day they played or voted by position or simply did not think he was top 6 then so be it!

They can vote however they want. 

Could not disagree more. This isn't a personal choice for any functional team that will ever actually take the floor - to counter the election day ballot comparison. The whole reason the coaches are the ones that vote for this honor is because they are expected to be the most knowledgeable and have the best, most in depth knowledge of the best performers by watching tape and having to prepare their own team to matchup with given players.  Its my opinion that if it were true there is no normative influence on how coaches vote, there would be a 16-way tie for all 5 spots.  I think that if the coaches dont each vote straightforwardly for who they think are the best players, the value of being first team all conference is undermined. 

That being said, I think Lennys point about the philosophical way to vote - build an actual team as if it were functioning or just pick the best 5 - is a good one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 05:45:05 PM »
A squirmy coach

Crean still gets a vote for the Big East first team?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »

First thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title. Haha.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 06:21:43 PM »

We all know who Chicoloop thinks it was.  He wouldn't bring it up if he wasn't trying to start sh*t.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 06:37:22 PM »

We all know who Chicoloop thinks it was.  He wouldn't bring it up if he wasn't trying to start sh*t.

Exactly.  Who cares if he wasn't anonymous?  He still made the first team.  And why does he have to explain anything to anyone?  Complete non-issue.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
I saw Buzz quoted somewhere saying he voted Jones POY, so I can't imagine he left him off the All Big East team.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »

We all know who Chicoloop thinks it was.  He wouldn't bring it up if he wasn't trying to start sh*t.

You guys are insufferable sometimes.  I thought the mods said this stuff was going to stop.

I brought it up because of the threads here about the WVU fans crying over Jae getting the POY.  They have a legitimate beef when it comes to a one coach not voting him on the first team.  How could any coach leave that guy off the list.  To suggest it was due to voting for two guards, two forwards and a center is a terrible answer.  How many teams even play with that lineup these days?  Nowhere in the rules for voting does it state that is how the voting should be done.  Another suggestion that if the guy had a bad game against his team he wouldn't vote for him?  Guys, these coaches don't live in a bubble.  They watch film to prepare, they know the stats, they know what each player on the other teams are doing.  That reason doesn't fly either.

Whomever voted that way should be ashamed.  I know it is not Buzz Williams, he has too much integrity for young men to do that.  It's unfortunate that some posters here lack some of that same integrity.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:15:44 PM by Hoopaloop »
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 08:07:03 PM »
According to Zags Blog, via SNY, Buzz voted for Jones.

"Marquette coach Buzz Williams, who could not vote for his own player, voted for Jones for Player of the Year, sources told SNY.tv."

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/03/06/calhoun-kevin-jones-is-big-easts-best-player/#more-68984

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
Sorry if I suggested a possibility you find stupid and terrible. You're right, the only possible explanation is that the coach who voted that way is evil ?-(

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
I agree that Jones should be first team...but would it be so horrible if a coach that was adamant that there be one guy at each position, 1-5, voted:

C Jack Cooley
PF Jae Crowder
SF Kris Joseph
SG Darius Johnson-Odom
PG Maalik Wayns

Not really that much of a stretch, since most consider Crowder and Jones to play the same position.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
You guys are insufferable sometimes.  I thought the mods said this stuff was going to stop.

I brought it up because of the threads here about the WVU fans crying over Jae getting the POY.  They have a legitimate beef when it comes to a one coach not voting him on the first team. 

No they don't.  He made first team.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »
I agree that Jones should be first team...but would it be so horrible if a coach that was adamant that there be one guy at each position, 1-5, voted:

C Jack Cooley
PF Jae Crowder
SF Kris Joseph
SG Darius Johnson-Odom
PG Maalik Wayns

Not really that much of a stretch, since most consider Crowder and Jones to play the same position.

Exactly what I suggested. Thought it made sense as a possible explanation until Hoop set me straight. The only possible true explanation (I know this because Hoop says so)is that we've got an evil-doer in our misdst and he's coaching at a Big East school.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:49:36 PM by Lennys Tap »

LA

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
Exactly what I suggested. Thought it made sense as a possible explanation until Hoop set me straight. The only possible true explanation (I know this because Hoop says so)is that we've got an evil-doer in our misdst and he's coaching at a Big East school.

Lenny, your problem is that you tried to offer a rational explanation to a question no one (except Hoop of course) here can possibly answer. There is no place for that on a message board!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 09:34:05 PM »
Notre Dame fans should be whining if anyone.  Cooley was #1 in efficiency to Jones (#4).  Effective and true shooting %: 1 vs. 18 for Jones.  Free throw rate:  1 for Cooley, 39 for Jones.  RPG:  Cooley #2, Jones #1.  OR:   Cooley #1, Jones #2.  Blocks:  Cooley #4, Jones 16.  Jones on the other hand was #1 in shots made and #2 in shots attempted. 

While Jae was close or above these two in many of these and more...the case for Cooley for the being one screwed in light of the WVU PF who likes to shoots it, could be made.  The fact that Jones didn't have his two best games against UND, that Brey and Buzz are buds, and that the exodus of the traitors to bail ship mainly due to ND's dominance, can point to Brey as being the hold-out on Jones to protect his guy. 

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 07:17:09 AM »
What bothers me about this is unless a player in unanimous, the Big East or whoever leaked it, should not have mentioned the vote count.  It is just leading to speculation which is unfair for that one coach who didn't vote him first team.

As far as we know, that one coach played 5 different teams and 1 player from each of those teams could have had a better stat line than Jones.  And there is the decision.

At the end of the day, who cares if one coach left him off.  He still is first team.  If he was dropped to 2nd team, then we got another issue to deal with...

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 07:59:18 AM »
The fact that this thread exists makes me happy . . . if we have time to be angry that an opponent's player is not a unanimous selection to the first team all-big east squad, it means things are going pretty darn well in Warriorland.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 09:28:34 AM »
The fact that this thread exists makes me happy . . . if we have time to be angry that an opponent's player is not a unanimous selection to the first team all-big east squad, it means things are going pretty darn well in Warriorland.

And this is the essence of why Hoopico is so unhappy.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:38:36 AM by ringout »

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »
Don't worry ESPN will correctly figure all of this out.

feedback