[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MJS sob story on voter fraud today  (Read 5776 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
MJS sob story on voter fraud today
« on: May 21, 2007, 03:14:47 PM »
Apparently it took until nearly the end of the story to explain why she went to jail, instead we have to deal with all the fluff that she's a grandma, etc, etc.   She broke the law, worked for one of the campaigns, has quite the criminal history, etc.

The MJS...ugh.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1837312/posts

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: MJS sob story on voter fraud today
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:02:03 PM »
I was reading that at lunch today .. have mixed feelings. 

I believe in voter ID programs, and it's just preposterous we don't have one in Wisconsin.  I realize that will suppress certain voting blocks.  Tough noogies.  We should have at least the same ID requirements to vote as we do to take out a library book or rent a movie.

But I also have watched the attempts by news organizations and DAs / state and Federal prosecutors alike to find voter fraud in Wisconsin.   Generally, all of these examinations have miserably failed to find any inkling of wide-spread voter fraud.  Have they found a handful of felons voting?  Sure.  They even found a guy (disgraced WI pol) that voted in two locations.  But the overall theme has been that it's just not a big issue .. of course, if an election is close, a few votes could actually make a difference. 

So.  Should felons vote?  No.  Should we have a system in place to check voters and stop multiple votes and felons?  Yup.  Should we review election records to check for voter fraud?  Yup.

Do I want to spend $58,000 to lock this woman up for 2 years because she voted?  No way.  Adjust the vote count, fine her $1000, maybe a week in the slammer, move on.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 05:41:56 PM »
In my mind, they aren't looking to hard.  Mike McCann had zero interest when he was the DA to find this stuff.  When you have MU, UWM and UW-P students ADMITTING they voted 3 or 4 times in newspapers and then saying "oh, we were just kidding"...well you get the idea.

It's politically expedient not to look very hard and the effort isn't there IMO.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:40:18 PM »
While you certainly may be able to impugn McCann (a fan who has season tickets right in front of me, and now teaching at MU) .. you can't call the FBI nor the US Attorney (Biskupic) soft on the topic of voter fraud .. nor to an extent, the Milwaukee JS, who I'm sure you could call a liberal rag, yet they have a distinct interest in breaking a big news story like massive voter fraud.  They did their part, for sure, finding lots of bad record keeping and smoke.

But in the end, serious men spent serious time trying to pry loose evidence of voter fraud in Milwaukee and Wisconsin.  Did they find horrendous record keeping in Milwaukee?  Yup.  Craptacular voter records?  Sure.    But in the end, the findings of actual number of votes cast by felons and/or multi-voters was measured in the dozens.   Is that acceptable?  No.  And that's why I'm in favor of voter ID programs. 

But did all these investigations show there was any sort of organized or massive voter fraud?  Nope.  Just wasn't so. 

.. as for the "MU, UWM, and UW-P students admitting.."  No doubt, there was a lot of smoke there.  I couldn't find any stories on UWM or UW-P, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.  The MU kid, said stupid stuff and recanted.   The MUTrib had a poll where 173 kids said they voted twice.  All of that was investigated.  No evidence was found that any of it was true.  And I just flat out reject the idea that the local authorities just gave them a pass because "they're liberal."   For all they knew, those possible extra votes were cast for Republicans.  In the end, the evidence pointed to stupid kids saying stupid stuff.

So there's really a choice to be made.  You can believe the multitudes of prosecutors (of both parties) who've tried to find fraud and mostly failed, or .. believe the opposite, that there is significant voter fraud that just goes un-discovered.

Again, that all being said, I wish there was significant fraud found that would push voter ID programs into law. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 02:03:45 PM »
While you certainly may be able to impugn McCann (a fan who has season tickets right in front of me, and now teaching at MU) .. you can't call the FBI nor the US Attorney (Biskupic) soft on the topic of voter fraud .. nor to an extent, the Milwaukee JS, who I'm sure you could call a liberal rag, yet they have a distinct interest in breaking a big news story like massive voter fraud.  They did their part, for sure, finding lots of bad record keeping and smoke.

But in the end, serious men spent serious time trying to pry loose evidence of voter fraud in Milwaukee and Wisconsin.  Did they find horrendous record keeping in Milwaukee?  Yup.  Craptacular voter records?  Sure.    But in the end, the findings of actual number of votes cast by felons and/or multi-voters was measured in the dozens.   Is that acceptable?  No.  And that's why I'm in favor of voter ID programs. 

But did all these investigations show there was any sort of organized or massive voter fraud?  Nope.  Just wasn't so. 

.. as for the "MU, UWM, and UW-P students admitting.."  No doubt, there was a lot of smoke there.  I couldn't find any stories on UWM or UW-P, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.  The MU kid, said stupid stuff and recanted.   The MUTrib had a poll where 173 kids said they voted twice.  All of that was investigated.  No evidence was found that any of it was true.  And I just flat out reject the idea that the local authorities just gave them a pass because "they're liberal."   For all they knew, those possible extra votes were cast for Republicans.  In the end, the evidence pointed to stupid kids saying stupid stuff.

So there's really a choice to be made.  You can believe the multitudes of prosecutors (of both parties) who've tried to find fraud and mostly failed, or .. believe the opposite, that there is significant voter fraud that just goes un-discovered.

Again, that all being said, I wish there was significant fraud found that would push voter ID programs into law. 

actually the US Attorney has been called to the mat for being soft...that's exactly why this whole Gonzales AG thing is going down right now.  The US Attorneys that were identified to be fired were identified because they weren't doing their job in prosecuting / investigating voter fraud like they should have.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 02:22:23 PM »
Sigh.  Can't trust anyone who isn't conservative.  Then you can't trust anyone who's not firmly inside the Bush/Cheney/Rove triangle of thought, doing their bidding.   That's the real tragedy in the US.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
Well of course those kids are going to recant, they don't want to go jail.  To me that's a no brainer.

It is hard for me to trust the machinery that is urban politics.  Even on some of the committees I sit on with my small city, the politics of partisanship is crazy at times.  We see what happens to some of the larger neighboring cities and it's nuts .... you should see L.A.   Their recent actions as a "Sanctuary City" points out what I'm talking about.  They have no intent to follow the federal immigration laws whatsoever.

It is my belief that many of these cities have no intent whatsoever to clamp down on voter fraud, especially if they are the party in power.  Why would they?  What incentive do they have to crackdown on people voting for them?  None.

You and I are in total agreement with the ID requirement, but Doyle won't allow it and we all know why (it has nothing to do with his claims).  

I will try to find those other stories about UWM and I believe Parkside students for you.

feedback