Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Video of students with new chant  (Read 16931 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Video of students with new chant
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 03:00:13 PM »
No Lighthouse--I'm not sure...Either way (and it may have been that both were used) I was keyed into the "Warriors" part.  My surprise was that I thought any reference to the proud tradition was taboo in this sensitive to all--and submissive to many--era.

And I don't think that I would be alone in suggesting that some Warriors reference, using either cheer, would be embraced in future home games.

And I'm not saying that our old name should come back (though I among many would be delighted).  I'm just saying that it is never going away.  Let's recognize and embrace that--together. 

It definitely was the strongest "let's go Warriors" chant in the three years that I have been a season ticket holder.  And what really surprised me was that the cheerleaders joined in.  I assume that they are supposed to ignore any "inappropriate" chants started by the crowd.
Have some patience, FFS.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »
a GT fan who at the game posted this on another board:
"Their student section is one of the best I have ever experienced."

when the students show up, it does make a difference.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »
No Lighthouse--I'm not sure...Either way (and it may have been that both were used) I was keyed into the "Warriors" part.  My surprise was that I thought any reference to the proud tradition was taboo in this sensitive to all--and submissive to many--era.

And I don't think that I would be alone in suggesting that some Warriors reference, using either cheer, would be embraced in future home games.

And I'm not saying that our old name should come back (though I among many would be delighted).  I'm just saying that it is never going away.  Let's recognize and embrace that--together. 

"Let's go Warriors" has been chanted at just about every MU game as long as I can remember. Yesterday's was certainly a strong one though.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
"Let's go Warriors" has been chanted at just about every MU game as long as I can remember. Yesterday's was certainly a strong one though.

yup! father wild's blood pressure goes up and his sphincter tightens a little every time he hears that

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2012, 03:35:32 PM »
yup! father wild's blood pressure goes up and his sphincter tightens a little every time he hears that
Let's keep it up then!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »

Man, that's a bad visual.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
Awesome all around.  Makes me jealous that I never got a game of that level as a student.

I went to MU when Dukiet was the coach.  If I did that cheer I would have been speaking for myself....literally!

warriors4ever32

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2012, 09:09:29 PM »
It definitely was the strongest "let's go Warriors" chant in the three years that I have been a season ticket holder.  And what really surprised me was that the cheerleaders joined in.  I assume that they are supposed to ignore any "inappropriate" chants started by the crowd.

the cheerleaders do not chant "let's go warriors."  they chant "let's go marquette" but we change it into let's go warriors every time it gets chanted

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
the cheerleaders do not chant "let's go warriors."  they chant "let's go marquette" but we change it into let's go warriors every time it gets chanted

Well, you can't tell the difference from where I was sitting!
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
Didn't seem to interfere with your observations of Ox.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

boyonthedock

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 12:18:47 AM »
It was really awesome, but it is a rip off. I like the cadence of it a lot, and the whole idea, but at the beginning of games I humbly submit that the students chant "Warriors come out to play" it has the same amount of syllables, is marquette specifc, time specific for the start or the game, and would probably be all kinds of awesome.

boyonthedock

New chant was awesome. it can be better.
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 02:30:36 AM »
It was really awesome, but it is a rip off. I like the cadence of it a lot, and the whole idea, but at the beginning of games I humbly submit that the students chant "Warriors come out to play" it has the same amount of syllables, is marquette specifc, time specific for the start or the game, and would probably be all kinds of awesome. PLus it doesn't have that wishy washy believe stuff in there.

I'm kind of sad there's no more games this year to try it. It has warriors in it, so the administration won't use its massive email list to promote it, but if this i believe chant catches on for next year, the student section could easily ignore it and use the cadence with the new words. Word gets out enough i think it could become really cool.

"WARRRRRRIORS COME OUT TO PLAY!"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: New chant was awesome. it can be better.
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 06:09:57 AM »
Ever since the renaming fiasco with Gold, I wanted them to change to an urban version of Warriors. When the players come out, get the bottles clinking, then start in with the creepy "Warriors, come out to play"...I agree that would be awesome.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:03 AM »
It was really awesome, but it is a rip off. I like the cadence of it a lot, and the whole idea, but at the beginning of games I humbly submit that the students chant "Warriors come out to plaaaaayaaa" it has the same amount of syllables, is marquette specifc, time specific for the start or the game, and would probably be all kinds of awesome.

We have a winner!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dDH9Jq5AWkQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=29" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dDH9Jq5AWkQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=29</a>

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 08:26:16 AM »
Chant worked awesome for the game, foot in mouth over here.

Changing the words would make it even better though.

Warriors gets my vote right now, but maybe the alumni can help the students for next year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 08:36:33 AM »
EDIT: Just re-read the last few posts. The "Warriors come out and play" idea is WAY better than what I had posted.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:53:47 AM by MerrittsMustache »

TomW1365

• Team Captain
Re: New chant was awesome. it can be better.
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
Ever since the renaming fiasco with Gold, I wanted them to change to an urban version of Warriors. When the players come out, get the bottles clinking, then start in with the creepy "Warriors, come out to play"...I agree that would be awesome.
[

Couldn't agree more...  This is a home run.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2012, 08:51:13 AM »
It was really awesome, but it is a rip off. I like the cadence of it a lot, and the whole idea, but at the beginning of games I humbly submit that the students chant "Warriors come out to play" it has the same amount of syllables, is marquette specifc, time specific for the start or the game, and would probably be all kinds of awesome.

Wait... This has to be the winner.  Grand Slam idea!

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »
Now that was a great student section. I was happy to see them back in full force. It made for a very special game experience.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 10:09:16 AM »
Chant worked awesome for the game, foot in mouth over here.

Changing the words would make it even better though.

Warriors gets my vote right now, but maybe the alumni can help the students for next year.

I hate to be a d*ck, but absolutely not.

It's the student section, not the "alumni suggestion section". The kids should do whatever they want.

A lot of alumni doubted what they could do on Saturday, so we are the last people that should be making suggestions on what they should/shouldn't be doing. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »
I hate to be a d*ck, but absolutely not.

It's the student section, not the "alumni suggestion section". The kids should do whatever they want.

A lot of alumni doubted what they could do on Saturday, so we are the last people that should be making suggestions on what they should/shouldn't be doing. 

Not really my intention of the post there, but if they're looking suggestions there's a lot of time spent on the board with completely useless topics. Suggestions don't hurt.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
Serious question.  How long is that chant supposed to continue?  Say we lose the tip, or miss our first shot.  Is there a time limit?  Does it go until we score?  Just curious.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
Not really my intention of the post there, but if they're looking suggestions there's a lot of time spent on the board with completely useless topics. Suggestions don't hurt.

I understand, but, look no further than the thread discussing/promoting the "new" cheer. If the students took the alumni suggestions, they wouldn't have done anything because a lot of people here were calling it a rip-off, lame, and uncreative, etc. etc.

Alumni (including me) are prone to poo-pooing anything new because "back in our day yadda yadda yadda"

Students shouldn't listen to us. I know alumni think that they should because we have some sort of magical wisdom... but when it comes to "cheering", the students should do that on their own. They don't need our help, and Saturday proved that definitively.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
I understand, but, look no further than the thread discussing/promoting the "new" cheer. If the students took the alumni suggestions, they wouldn't have done anything because a lot of people here were calling it a rip-off, lame, and uncreative, etc. etc.

Alumni (including me) are prone to poo-pooing anything new because "back in our day yadda yadda yadda"

Students shouldn't listen to us. I know alumni think that they should because we have some sort of magical wisdom... but when it comes to "cheering", the students should do that on their own. They don't need our help, and Saturday proved that definitively.

I still don't think this will happen at every game, so let's ease up on the tongue baths.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »
I still don't think this will happen at every game, so let's ease up on the tongue baths.

So if it doesn't happen at every game it makes what happened on Sat. less impressive? C'mon.

There was a 8 page thread crapping on the idea and they pulled it off. The internet geniuses (including me) doubted they could do it, and we were wrong.

Seems stupid to say that we should make some suggestions for future cheers, no?

The kids who came up with the idea(s) should be brainstorming some new ideas because obviously they have a much better understanding of the student section than the alumni on the internet.