[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Shocking....brace yourselves  (Read 14600 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
Re: Shocking....brace yourselves
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »
zell miller is a democrat i would vote for.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 08:37:26 AM »
"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." -Sir Winston Churchill.

Churchill left the liberal party of Great Britain to the conservative one.

Much like Ronald Reagan left the Democratic Party and went to the Republican Party  (though the Republican Party today would make Reagan spin in his grave)

Both left to further their political careers. Partly philosophical reasons, but not purely.

something else to think about...and i'm not sure who said it: "a liberal is just a conservative who has been arrested and a conservative is just a liberal who has been mugged."

a spectacular over-simplification, but it points out that one's life experiences have far more to do with one's politics than merely one's education, or economic status.  those are drivers of experience -- but they are not the determining factors.

additional thought: i would also go so far as to say that one's politics have a lot to do with whether one leans toward blaming others for (sometimes insurmountable) difficulties in life or whether one leans toward blaming oneself for difficulties in life -- in other words it's not just life's experiences, it's how one "responds" to those life experiences that have the biggest influence on one's politics.

And wouldn't the latter part of your post refer to those who were privileged in life (mostly Republicans) and those who had to "work" for theirs (mostly Democrats). Of course, party loyalties are the work of two things: philosophy but also political convenience. Yet, I would not hesitate to generalize that most Republicans come from lives of privilege. I understand there are some Dems who come from privileged families as well, but not to the extent of the Elephant Party.
SS Marquette

mviale

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 02:30:13 PM »
Zen Miller and all those Southern Dems that have migrated to the Republican party are still mad about civil rights legislation by LBJ.  Great Party the republicans have.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 07:49:33 PM »
"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." -Sir Winston Churchill.

Churchill left the liberal party of Great Britain to the conservative one.

Much like Ronald Reagan left the Democratic Party and went to the Republican Party  (though the Republican Party today would make Reagan spin in his grave)

Both left to further their political careers. Partly philosophical reasons, but not purely.

something else to think about...and i'm not sure who said it: "a liberal is just a conservative who has been arrested and a conservative is just a liberal who has been mugged."

a spectacular over-simplification, but it points out that one's life experiences have far more to do with one's politics than merely one's education, or economic status.  those are drivers of experience -- but they are not the determining factors.

additional thought: i would also go so far as to say that one's politics have a lot to do with whether one leans toward blaming others for (sometimes insurmountable) difficulties in life or whether one leans toward blaming oneself for difficulties in life -- in other words it's not just life's experiences, it's how one "responds" to those life experiences that have the biggest influence on one's politics.

And wouldn't the latter part of your post refer to those who were privileged in life (mostly Republicans) and those who had to "work" for theirs (mostly Democrats). Of course, party loyalties are the work of two things: philosophy but also political convenience. Yet, I would not hesitate to generalize that most Republicans come from lives of privilege. I understand there are some Dems who come from privileged families as well, but not to the extent of the Elephant Party.

interesting -- usually those that blame "somebody else" for their misfortune or plain-old lack of fortune are the ones that want the government to step in and "make things right."  those that pull themselves up tend to be the ones that would like government to stay out of it.

that was the characterization to which i was alluding.  it's a shame that you interpreted my remarks as a class-stuggle issue.  my comment was not about class, but about attitude.

by the way, i think your characterization of dems versus republicans - in terms of family money - requires actual numbers to be anything other than a red herring (i have no idea what the numbers would be...i haven't looked it up - but that's why i wouldn't make the claim).

mviale

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 07:55:36 PM »
Republicans wouldnt get elected if they were full of blue bloods.  Unfortunately, they have been rather adept at winning over the masses with  basic issues such as- "cant let gay marriage happen, what next" and blind patriotism to the Flag.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:58:10 PM by mviale »
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 08:02:34 PM »
Republicans wouldnt get elected if they were full of blue bloods.  Unfortunately, they have been rather adept at winning over the masses with  basic issues such as- "cant let gay marriage happen, what next" and blind patriotism to the Flag.

1976....the last Democrat to get 50% for the Presidency and that was coming off Watergate with Ford (never elected) running on the GOP side.  Speaks volumes mviale.   1976.