collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Shocking....brace yourselves  (Read 14596 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Shocking....brace yourselves
« on: May 21, 2007, 12:32:34 AM »
I know I'm shocked.

On the CBS News website Public Eye, newly minted CBS man Jeff Greenfield admits that "most members of the so-called mainstream media, undoubtedly, in the voting booth, vote Democratic."

Nah, you're kidding.

::)

Murffieus

• All American
Re: Shocking....brace yourselves
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 07:59:50 AM »
80-90% of the media are liberals!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 10:18:55 AM »
Goes along with the college education and larger world view.    Statistically speaking, and obviously not universally, the more education a person has the more likely they are to have a liberal world view.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 11:14:21 AM »
being liberal has nothing to do with how educated people are.   educated people would not call a fetus not human.  educated people would not allow a male student to run for (and win) prom queen in high school.  liberals accuse conservatives of being blind, but really its the other way around.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »
most liberals that I know converted to conservativism shortly after they received their first paycheck in the real world and saw how much they had to pay in taxes.   :D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:32:17 PM »
Goes along with the college education and larger world view.    Statistically speaking, and obviously not universally, the more education a person has the more likely they are to have a liberal world view.

Studies have shown that not to be true actually.  If you have seen studies that show that not to be the case, it would be good reading.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 12:54:26 PM »
80-90% of rednecks are republican - Does open mindedness have something to do with education?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »
80-90% of rednecks are republican - Does open mindedness have something to do with education?

Let me see if I can be just as stupid with a stupid comment based on nothing but a stereotype

90-100% of big city welfare recipients with no education are Democrats.  Wow, I feel better now....and who's the ignorant one?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 01:37:41 PM »
wrong again - they have been disenfranchised in Ohio and Fla

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." -Sir Winston Churchill.

Churchill left the liberal party of Great Britain to the conservative one.

Much like Ronald Reagan left the Democratic Party and went to the Republican Party  (though the Republican Party today would make Reagan spin in his grave)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 01:55:24 PM »
wrong again - they have been disenfranchised in Ohio and Fla

Yeah, right....by thugs of conservative soccer moms and CPAs.   Sigh.   

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 02:41:37 PM »
one could make a very good argument that liberals who think they are being "open-minded" are really close-minded.

i have a stat for you all...if abortion never existed there would be more democrats and kerry would have easily won the last election.  liberals are only killing themselves by allowing the crime of abortion to occur.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 03:01:13 PM »
wrong devisive issue - gay marriage was used last time by conservative radical right

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 02:12:46 PM »
wrong devisive issue - gay marriage was used last time by conservative radical right

Because judges were turning over the will of the people.  Most people define marriage between a man and a woman.  Most societies do all over the world.  I didn't realize marriage between a man and a woman is RADICAL.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 02:20:55 PM »
conservative radical right

not to argue semantics, but conservative and radical are a dichotomy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 02:25:19 PM »
jutaw, that is a variation on the "crime is down due to abortion" statement by Bennett a couple of years ago.    Gay-marriage is just another red herring.   The obvious and obnoxious response is can gays possibly screw up marriage as bad as the straights already have?   50% divorce rate, infidelity, absentee parents due to rampant narcissism, leading to buying kids expensive computers and video games to raise them.    What more can the gays possibly do that is worse than what the straights have?   On a more civil note, I would never expect any religion to endorse gay marriage.   To deny long-time committed domestic partners some sort of accomodation as far as property rights, insurance, power of attorney is just plain silly.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:30:26 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 02:39:19 PM »
thats what civil unions are for!!!!

btw i never brought up gay marriage.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 03:40:57 PM »
 On a more civil note, I would never expect any religion to endorse gay marriage.   To deny long-time committed domestic partners some sort of accomodation as far as property rights, insurance, power of attorney is just plain silly.

Well said.

thats what civil unions are for!!!!

Agree 100%

This is where the Dems messed up in the last election.  They let themselves get pushed into the gay marriage corner when they should've adopted the more moderate civil union stance.  At least that's what they're doing this time around.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:45:50 PM by SoCalwarrior »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 11:20:55 PM »
"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." -Sir Winston Churchill.

Much like Ronald Reagan left the Democratic Party and went to the Republican Party  (though the Republican Party today would make Reagan spin in his grave)

Both left to further their political careers. Partly philosophical reasons, but not purely.
SS Marquette

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 12:04:15 AM »

Because judges were turning over the will of the people.  Most people define marriage between a man and a woman.  Most societies do all over the world.  I didn't realize marriage between a man and a woman is RADICAL.

yes, a marriage is between a man and woman.. but whats wrong with Civil Unions... all they want is the same rights as straight couples receive... is that so wrong?  When you voted yes in November, you voted to ban civil unions if you actually read the bill, its ok if you didn't, us as Americans are good at making quick assumptions of things, way to go, you just refused rights to a group of people that are well standing citizens, just because they have a different sexual preference, is that so wrong?  as Butters said on South Park "Well God made me, and if I am a little Bi-Curious, well then God must be a little bi-curious too"

the only amendment that refuses the right of American people is the right to own slaves, so what you are saying is that slavery is on the same level as Gay Marriage, you are crazy

and actually it matters what profession you go into as to what side of the political spectrum you land in.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:06:21 AM by Mayor McCheese »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 07:25:46 AM »
Nothing wrong with "civil unions"-----I cold care less who a person wants to associate with and in what manner as long as it's a private matter.

But under no circumstances should a "civil union" be considered on a par with marriage legally! Marriage is definded as a bond between a man and a woman----what is a "civil union" anyway?-----does it include the relationship between a man and his dog?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 07:43:21 AM »
A civil union allows domestic partners property, insurance, medical decision making rights.   Now, companions of 25 years aren't entitled to those.  Murf, I don't care what you do with your dog, but I am sure it is some variation of the wide post.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 09:07:37 AM »
A civil union allows domestic partners property, insurance, medical decision making rights.   Now, companions of 25 years aren't entitled to those.  Murf, I don't care what you do with your dog, but I am sure it is some variation of the wide post.

actually, you need a medical power of attorney to make medical decisions, even with your husband/wife.  There is nothing (as far as I know, but I'm no lawyer) stopping a same sex couple or even opposite sex couple that chooses not to marry from going out and drafting a POA for medical decisions.  Can any lawyers verify this?

Also, parents lose medical decision making powers with their children when they reach majority age as well, so it is a good idea to get a POA drafted giving parents that right until their child is married.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 10:39:39 AM »

Both left to further their political careers. Partly philosophical reasons, but not purely.

something else to think about...and i'm not sure who said it: "a liberal is just a conservative who has been arrested and a conservative is just a liberal who has been mugged."

a spectacular over-simplification, but it points out that one's life experiences have far more to do with one's politics than merely one's education, or economic status.  those are drivers of experience -- but they are not the determining factors.

additional thought: i would also go so far as to say that one's politics have a lot to do with whether one leans toward blaming others for (sometimes insurmountable) difficulties in life or whether one leans toward blaming oneself for difficulties in life -- in other words it's not just life's experiences, it's how one "responds" to those life experiences that have the biggest influence on one's politics.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:26:27 PM by RBSC »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »

Perhaps, but I think Reagan's words for Goldwater in 1964 were dead on then and dead on now.  If anything, the Democratic party back then as it is today, continues to change and moved away from those people.

Zell Millers' "A Great Party" no more talks of this at great length.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »
zell miller is a democrat i would vote for.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 08:37:26 AM »

something else to think about...and i'm not sure who said it: "a liberal is just a conservative who has been arrested and a conservative is just a liberal who has been mugged."

a spectacular over-simplification, but it points out that one's life experiences have far more to do with one's politics than merely one's education, or economic status.  those are drivers of experience -- but they are not the determining factors.

additional thought: i would also go so far as to say that one's politics have a lot to do with whether one leans toward blaming others for (sometimes insurmountable) difficulties in life or whether one leans toward blaming oneself for difficulties in life -- in other words it's not just life's experiences, it's how one "responds" to those life experiences that have the biggest influence on one's politics.

And wouldn't the latter part of your post refer to those who were privileged in life (mostly Republicans) and those who had to "work" for theirs (mostly Democrats). Of course, party loyalties are the work of two things: philosophy but also political convenience. Yet, I would not hesitate to generalize that most Republicans come from lives of privilege. I understand there are some Dems who come from privileged families as well, but not to the extent of the Elephant Party.
SS Marquette

mviale

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 02:30:13 PM »
Zen Miller and all those Southern Dems that have migrated to the Republican party are still mad about civil rights legislation by LBJ.  Great Party the republicans have.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 07:49:33 PM »

And wouldn't the latter part of your post refer to those who were privileged in life (mostly Republicans) and those who had to "work" for theirs (mostly Democrats). Of course, party loyalties are the work of two things: philosophy but also political convenience. Yet, I would not hesitate to generalize that most Republicans come from lives of privilege. I understand there are some Dems who come from privileged families as well, but not to the extent of the Elephant Party.

interesting -- usually those that blame "somebody else" for their misfortune or plain-old lack of fortune are the ones that want the government to step in and "make things right."  those that pull themselves up tend to be the ones that would like government to stay out of it.

that was the characterization to which i was alluding.  it's a shame that you interpreted my remarks as a class-stuggle issue.  my comment was not about class, but about attitude.

by the way, i think your characterization of dems versus republicans - in terms of family money - requires actual numbers to be anything other than a red herring (i have no idea what the numbers would be...i haven't looked it up - but that's why i wouldn't make the claim).

mviale

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 07:55:36 PM »
Republicans wouldnt get elected if they were full of blue bloods.  Unfortunately, they have been rather adept at winning over the masses with  basic issues such as- "cant let gay marriage happen, what next" and blind patriotism to the Flag.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:58:10 PM by mviale »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 08:02:34 PM »
Republicans wouldnt get elected if they were full of blue bloods.  Unfortunately, they have been rather adept at winning over the masses with  basic issues such as- "cant let gay marriage happen, what next" and blind patriotism to the Flag.

1976....the last Democrat to get 50% for the Presidency and that was coming off Watergate with Ford (never elected) running on the GOP side.  Speaks volumes mviale.   1976.