collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: #5 Michigan state loses to Indiana  (Read 5569 times)

Coleman

• All American
#5 Michigan state loses to Indiana
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »
Implications for us? Do we move up on the S Curve?

Mustang

Re: #5 Michigan state loses to Indiana
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
If OSU can beat them this weekend and UNC loses to Duke we could move up to 5 in the polls, assuming we can take care of business in Cincy and home saturday!

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:11:26 PM »
Not sure MSU will help us on the S-Curve. MSU or OSU will be a #1 seed, and it seems as if OSU is closer to us right now and is struggling to finish.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:13 PM »
Not sure MSU will help us on the S-Curve. MSU or OSU will be a #1 seed, and it seems as if OSU is closer to us right now and is struggling to finish.

I guess what I'm wondering is...can we replace one of them as a #2?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
nm

DSEEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »
Anyone ever ponder the thought of a matchup with IU in the tournament?

CtownWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »
I guess what I'm wondering is...can we replace one of them as a #2?

Why couldn't we? if we keep winning and a team or two ahead of us loses I see us snagging a two in the tourney.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Why couldn't we? if we keep winning and a team or two ahead of us loses I see us snagging a two in the tourney.

Of course. Id bet everything I have(This may or may not mean much) that if we win out this week and OSU loses to MSU(almost a gurantee) we will move ahead of them for a 2 seed entering the conference tourneys.

Lunardi said yesterday he was already tempted to put us above them.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:38:44 PM »
Crean post game said Indiana had definitely turned a corner and was not looking back.  Looking at their away record (5W, 6L including Iowa and Nebraska), I wouldn't take them past first round of NCAA or B1G tourneys.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Of course. Id bet everything I have(This may or may not mean much) that if we win out this week and OSU loses to MSU(almost a gurantee) we will move ahead of them for a 2 seed entering the conference tourneys.

Lunardi said yesterday he was already tempted to put us above them.

Not sure how MSU is almost a guarantee...It looked like Indiana had a good plan vs them today. Let Green score, guard everyone else, with that they couldn't muster up enough offense.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
What the hell is a s-curve?

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »
s curve is a way of ranking teams 1-68 so that the overall number one plays the worst #2 and the best #3 and so forth

1-2-3-4
8-7-6-5
9-10-11-12

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
What the hell is a s-curve?

I'll take you question as a serious one marty.  Essentially the s-curve is a way to work through the seeds in order.  So the top of the #1 seed (Kentucky) wraps to play the bottom of the #2 (8th overall).  It keeps wrapping back and forth(like an S) down through the brackets.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:52:38 PM »

I don't see why that's a certainty.
OSU has lost 3 out of 5.  MSU just lost by 15.
If they get ko'd by MI or IN next week and we win out, can't we pass them both?  

Lets say we end the season beating Gtown, Louisville, ND & Cuse. We will be on a 10 game win streak, 6 or 7 of which will have come against other teams in the dance.  We'll have a better conference record, a better overall record and have won 17 of our last 18 games.  

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »
Not sure how MSU is almost a guarantee...It looked like Indiana had a good plan vs them today. Let Green score, guard everyone else, with that they couldn't muster up enough offense.

Well, because MSU for one already beat OSU, they are at home where they are great, OSU is struggling big time even Sully and MSU got dominated in a place where pretty much everyone has lost.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Anyone ever ponder the thought of a matchup with IU in the tournament?

Of course.  Our guards would dominate their guards athletically.  Their 3 point shooters are really good, and that's not one of our strengths.  Inside game would be fun to watch with Zeller against Crowder.

IU can be really good.  They are probably the only team in the country to have 3 top 5 wins.  They also have losses to Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa, though Iowa can still finish .500 in the conference but few here probably realized that.

Quote from: steve buscemi
Crean post game said Indiana had definitely turned a corner and was not looking back.  Looking at their away record (5W, 6L including Iowa and Nebraska), I wouldn't take them past first round of NCAA or B1G tourneys.

I didn't watch the game tonight but usually the comments I read like this here are driven by hatred and not the eyeballs.  Yes, they could go down in the first round.  So could Marquette.  Losing at Iowa isn't exactly a bad loss of late.  They have a chance to finish .500 in the conference.  They beat Wisconsin in Iowa City, IU, Michigan, etc.  They are a horrible road team, but not bad at home and could win their last two games to go 9-9 in the best conference in the country.

My hunch is that Crean was probably saying they aren't looking back to the years of not making the NCAA tournament.  Those days are over and he's likely right.  Picked 8th or 9th this year, they made the NCAA tournament, knocked off some good teams and solid classes coming in.  Give them their due, they have earned it.  They have an outside shot to finish 2nd (need much help) but more than likely will end up 4th or so.

The B1G tournament is in Indianapolis and they likely will take on Wisconsin in the B1G tournament depending how things shake out.  Of course, they have to get by the Boilermakers this Sunday first.  We owe them.   >:(
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 11:36:25 PM »
Of course.  Our guards would dominate their guards athletically.  Their 3 point shooters are really good, and that's not one of our strengths.  Inside game would be fun to watch with Zeller against Crowder.

IU can be really good.  They are probably the only team in the country to have 3 top 5 wins.  They also have losses to Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa, though Iowa can still finish .500 in the conference but few here probably realized that.

I didn't watch the game tonight but usually the comments I read like this here are driven by hatred and not the eyeballs.  Yes, they could go down in the first round.  So could Marquette.  Losing at Iowa isn't exactly a bad loss of late.  They have a chance to finish .500 in the conference.  They beat Wisconsin in Iowa City, IU, Michigan, etc.  They are a horrible road team, but not bad at home and could win their last two games to go 9-9 in the best conference in the country.

My hunch is that Crean was probably saying they aren't looking back to the years of not making the NCAA tournament.  Those days are over and he's likely right.  Picked 8th or 9th this year, they made the NCAA tournament, knocked off some good teams and solid classes coming in.  Give them their due, they have earned it.  They have an outside shot to finish 2nd (need much help) but more than likely will end up 4th or so.

The B1G tournament is in Indianapolis and they likely will take on Wisconsin in the B1G tournament depending how things shake out.  Of course, they have to get by the Boilermakers this Sunday first.  We owe them.   >:(

Nobody even rips on IU too much and you come running to their defense. Good grief, give it up. Losing to a team with a 130 rpi is a bad loss, no matter how you try to defend it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »
Though the original s-curve premise of the topic was MU related, I see this going nowhere relevant....so moved to the superbar...

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 12:57:36 AM »

I am not much of a betting person, but if you want to put down a little wager on IU not getting past the first round of the NCAA or Big 10 tourneys, name your stakes and I am in.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 01:08:57 AM »

I didn't watch the game tonight but usually the comments I read like this here are driven by hatred and not the eyeballs. 

I agree as to the motivation of anti-IU comments about tonight's game.  If you had watched the game you would have seen IU in control throughout against a team that had not been behind by more than 11 points at any point all season until tonight, and in each instance that MSU made a run, IU held them off and responded.  Up by 14 at halftime, the final margin of 15 was not exaggerated by fouling at the end as you see in many games.  The outcome was clear before MSU would have had the opportunity to implement that type strategy to try to get back into the game in the final minutes.

I do NOT agree, however, with your hopes for a Purdue victory on Sunday!   ;D

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
Wow, a marginally IU-related post and a Hoosier (and probably half of Scoop in response) is on it like stink on poo turning into something about Tommy C.

So much for the original intention of my post...bye bye thread
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:58:33 PM by Victor McCormick »

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »
Wow, a marginally IU-related post and a Hoosier (and probably half of Scoop in response) is on it like stink on poo turning into something about Tommy C.

So much for the original intention of my post...bye bye thread
C'mon Victor.  You've been around long enough.  You didn't antcipate where this thread would go?

feedback