[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kobe - concussion  (Read 1663 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Kobe - concussion
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »
Poor Kobe - a broken nose, now a concussion. What a shame.

As much as I liked DWade already, he just moved up a few notches.

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
Re: Kobe - concussion
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:32:43 PM »
I do understand why the media is making such a HUGE deal of this play, especially since Kobe's nose drew blood and was fractured, AND he suffered a concussion as a result of the foul by Wade.

Also, I can see how they continue to hype it up as the the Heat are set to play the Lakers on Sunday.  ESPN could create a story line if Kobe had two socks that didn't match. 

However, those who argue Wade "cheap-shotted" Kobe (ie Skip Gayless) are misguided and maybe failed to look closely at the play.  They also lose credibility with their exaggeration and lack of factual base.  Wade clearly tries to stop Kobe from getting a shot off near the basket.  He wisely uses both extended arms to prevent Kobe from elevating and getting the ball up towards the basket.  It was a foul, but not a dirty play by any means.

Watch the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKeiXktTvN4) and see that Kobe jumps right into Wade's extended arms. 

Unfortunately, Kobe was injured.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »
Seriously? Did u watch any of the game? There was 301 points scored and wade throws two arms over Kobe as he's going up for a dunk and you don't see the problem? The biases on this board are insane....even wade himself apologized. Obviously he didn't mean to break his nose but he did mean to inflict a hard foul. It was ridiculous. If roles were reversed there would be an 8 page thread ripping Kobe.

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
I am serious and yes, I watched the entire game.  I understand your point that it was the All Star game and that nobody really plays or is expected to play defense.  Wade was one of few actually exerting effort on D, and his performance against Kobe was a big reason why the East was able to get back in the game.  Kobe was playing him tough as well.  Just because 301 points were scored does not mean Wade is not entitled to play tough defense if he decides.  It was a tough foul, nothing personal.  He's not going to hold Kobe's hand and walk him to the rim for a dunk.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »
Not to pick nits, but I distinctly remember Kobe waving Karl Malone off when he was trying to set a screen for him a few years back (can't remember which years' All Star game that was?), in case we want to get into a pearl-clutching argument about All Star game etiquette...it's not like Kobe is some sort of saint or anything.   
No bias, I don't see anything wrong with what Wade did, he most certainly didn't DELIBERATELY try to break the dude's nose/concuss him.

feedback