Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Taking "OWNERSHIP" in the Marquette b-ball program  (Read 5437 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Taking "OWNERSHIP" in the Marquette b-ball program
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »
Tom Crean used to talk a lot about how he wanted everyone from the players, the coaches, administration and fans to take "ownership" in the program. "Ownership" was the idea that we were all invested with our time, energy, and fundraising in making the program successful. Ironically and hypocritically Crean bailed on the idea of "ownership" and literally left in the middle of the night for IU.

But now what the previous coach did or didn't do doesn't matter one bit. Crean is now just a memory. The title of this thread, "changing of the guard" made me think about how Buzz absolutely, 100% HAS taken ownership of this program and the program is completely in his hands. We have his players, play his concepts, recruit his way and for all those reasons he's the face of the program.

Like him or not, Crean left some big shoes (figuratively, not literally) to fill. And Buzz has busted the seams on those shoes. Great job, Buzz.
We Are Marquette

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
Re: Taking "OWNERSHIP" in the Marquette b-ball program
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »
Tom Crean used to talk a lot about how he wanted everyone from the players, the coaches, administration and fans to take "ownership" in the program. "Ownership" was the idea that we were all invested with our time, energy, and fundraising in making the program successful. Ironically and hypocritically Crean bailed on the idea of "ownership" and literally left in the middle of the night for IU.

But now what the previous coach did or didn't do doesn't matter one bit. Crean is now just a memory. The title of this thread, "changing of the guard" made me think about how Buzz absolutely, 100% HAS taken ownership of this program and the program is completely in his hands. We have his players, play his concepts, recruit his way and for all those reasons he's the face of the program.

Like him or not, Crean left some big shoes (figuratively, not literally) to fill. And Buzz has busted the seams on those shoes. Great job, Buzz.

Agree with much of what you say here.  If we lose early in the tournament, will you feel the same way?  Some guys here put all the emphasis on the post season results, for them busting the seams on those shoes will only happen if we make a deep run.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
Agree with much of what you say here.  If we lose early in the tournament, will you feel the same way?  Some guys here put all the emphasis on the post season results, for them busting the seams on those shoes will only happen if we make a deep run.

Obviously a deep run will do a lot more for Buzz, his legacy, and Marquette basketball than an early exit. But to answer your question, yes. This season (assuming we don't totally crash and burn) has been an overwhelming success. I never would have guessed we would be in the Top 10 on March 1st.
We Are Marquette

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »
I will feel the same way, if there is an early tourney exit.  Disappointed, of course.  I think the future is bright and that is one reason why I will feel the same way.

You are correct, though, too many people place too heavy an emphasis on the tourney success as a definition of a season.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »
Obviously a deep run will do a lot more for Buzz, his legacy, and Marquette basketball than an early exit. But to answer your question, yes. This season (assuming we don't totally crash and burn) has been an overwhelming success. I never would have guessed we would be in the Top 10 on March 1st.

No argument from me, this season has been a rousing success, though I did think 3rd place was where we would finish.  For others here, it seems to be post season results and nothing more. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
Buzz took ownership and his fingerprints are everywhere. He knows that his legacy starts with him. Like Al, Buzz is going top down. Everything he does has meaning behind it and the kids get it. I am not sure how long MU has Buzz but regardless of time he has done something special. He brought attention to a school that many on here did not believe could ever be Elite program again.

Over the past year I have heard casual fans talk about his fashion sense, sideline antics, crazy talk and his love of his players. Most of these fans looked at me funny in years past when I said we still can be an elite program. Getting people to talk is the first step of getting them in the door for games.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »
The two posts by "Hoopaloop" on this thread are classic Chicos.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »
Al had alot of one or two and dones in his time at MU. To me a succesful season is making the tournament and improving each year. More important is that a successful coach is one who can keep the program at a high level even if he has a down year. I think Jay Wright will have Nova on a winning track next year. I think Buzz does not want to have a year like Jay just had and from his track record so far, he won't.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »

Just a memory? Hell, I'd say he was just a fart in the wind.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »
No argument from me, this season has been a rousing success, though I did think 3rd place was where we would finish.  For others here, it seems to be post season results and nothing more. 

For me, regular season results are just as important and exciting.

But you can't deny the way the media, national recognition, recruiting, etc. value the postseason over the regular season. With the exception of winning your league (Big East champs...you get a banner, a nice recruiting claim, etc.), the regular season doesn't mean much to anyone except diehards, with the exception of impacting your seed for the postseason.

I absolutely love that we are in a position to take second in the Big East regular season. It would be a fantastic achievement our whole program should feel proud of. Unfortunately, very very few nationally will recognize or remember it. The media and national audiences remember Final Four runs. That's just reality.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »
Over the past year I have heard casual fans talk about his fashion sense, sideline antics, crazy talk and his love of his players. Most of these fans looked at me funny in years past when I said we still can be an elite program. Getting people to talk is the first step of getting them in the door for games.
Anyone can say whatever they want about Buzz. It's a free country. But one exception is Buzz's fashion sense. He is one of the best-dressed guys I know. And im an obnoxious prick and a clothes snob.

Buzz had on Ferragamos and a custom suit at the last game. In WEST VIRGINIA. Case closed.
We Are Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »

Without Otule and Gardner, no less!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »
Yeah, but the dude should be able to afford Arthur Murray.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 09:32:41 PM »
Avenue
Buzz might dress the part for today's game, but not my style. He could dress like Ronald McDonald as far as I am concerned if we continue to win. I have no problem with his wardrobe...but my balls are not big enough for some of the outfits.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
Yeah, but the dude should be able to afford Arthur Murray.

Art's retired.  Harvey and Sal run things now.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »
Avenue
Buzz might dress the part for today's game, but not my style. He could dress like Ronald McDonald as far as I am concerned if we continue to win. I have no problem with his wardrobe...but my balls are not big enough for some of the outfits.
Buzz might be the best-dressed guy in Milwaukee. Those bespoke suits are the source of envy every game for Avenue Commons.
We Are Marquette

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 09:54:32 PM »
Ave
If you like it, I like it.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
Ave
If you like it, I like it.
Only criticism could be he dresses TOO nice for the coach of a Jesuit school in the inner city of MKE. Conservative estimate is $3k per suit, per game, and $400-$600 for shoes. I'm telling you it's high, high-end stuff.
We Are Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »
Only criticism could be he dresses TOO nice for the coach of a Jesuit school in the inner city of MKE. Conservative estimate is $3k per suit, per game, and $400-$600 for shoes. I'm telling you it's high, high-end stuff.

2 mil + is high, high-end salary.  He deserves it, too.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »
I don't want my coach lookin' like he shops at Men's Wearhouse or Jos. A. Banks.
Crean, on the other hand, rocked the Goodwill Trift Store.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »
I prefer Harley's to Johnnie Walkers

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 10:18:21 PM »
2 mil + is high, high-end salary.  He deserves it, too.
Agree 100%. Dress like you mean it.
We Are Marquette

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 10:22:33 PM »
Buzzs first 4 years have each been wholly more successful than all but one of Creans 9.

Amazing how buzz has blown crean away.

Cream is doing at iu this year as good as he can .  He is no more than a double digits in losses every year and a first or second round loss caliber of coach

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 10:28:06 PM »
Yup. In the immortal words of Bill Belichek, "You are your record."
We Are Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 06:40:55 AM »

He's got the gelt.   He dresses how he wants.    Again, he is definitely not doing the cookie cutter approach to his wardrobe. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback