[Today at 06:46:22 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 02:41:31 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 08:19:01 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 06:23:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Taking "OWNERSHIP" in the Marquette b-ball program  (Read 5458 times)

PVMagic

• Starter
Re: Taking "OWNERSHIP" in the Marquette b-ball program
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 07:55:57 AM »
Buzz had on Ferragamos and a custom suit at the last game. In WEST VIRGINIA. Case closed.
But the WVU fans said the vest was "douchey".

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
Back in West Virginny, they only understand bullet proof vests. 'Cause dudes there only wear a suit twice in their life, when they're married and when they're buried.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »
i put a lot of emphasis on the post season.  it's surely not the only thing i'd judge buzz on, but the arrogant pos coaching at madison wins more in the regular season than tom izzo...come march it's a different story.  the ncaa is a bit of a crap shoot, so i don't think you can use it as your only means of evaluation, but after a period of many years you can certainly see there are coaches who are much more effective in march than others.  i guess i look at the season as being two parts.  the first part (conference) is important and should set an expectation for the second part (ncaa tourney).  looking at it that way anything short of a sweet 16 run will be tough to swallow, but wouldn't mean the season was a bust.  if that same scenario played out over and over, and we had very strong showings in the BEAST but never made a deep run, i'd begin to get a little frustrated.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
If that same scenario played out over and over, and we had very strong showings in the BEAST but never made a deep run, i'd begin to get a little frustrated.

This is right on. Last season we exceeded expectations in the NCAA. This year we may well come up short. Sometimes you lose. Doesn't make it a pattern, doesn't necessarily mean you aren't as good as your seeding. It means you lost. Last year they finished the tournament as a sweet 16 team, and this year they will enter the tournament as a sweet 16 seed. Raise your hand if you would not have signed up for that 2 years ago. Even if they lose opening weekend this year, there is simply no arguing with the results.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:00:37 PM by NavinRJohnson »

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 07:49:30 PM »
This year they will enter the tournament as a sweet 16 seed. Raise your hand if you would not have signed up for that 2 years ago. Even if they lose opening weekend this year, there is simply no arguing with the results.

I'm ecstatic to have been proven wrong, but in September I would have signed up for 5th in Big East and Round of 32. I could not be happier nor more proud of these Marquette ballers. The growth of Jae and DJO, in particular, has been just wonderful to watch. Buzz has been amazing in bringing along Wes/DJ/Jerel (always remember senior day and Wes thanking Buzz for "taking off the handcuffs" or something to that effect), then Lazar, then Jimmy and now these two.

It's how programs are built, player by player meeting and then exceeding expectations. Just awesome.
We Are Marquette