Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] S-Curve: Feb 24  (Read 1349 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] S-Curve: Feb 24
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
S-Curve: Feb 24

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Alan Bykowski)

The past few days, I've been noticing that everyone seems to be far higher on Michigan than I was. I initially felt they were being overrated, but as I saw them turning up on the 2 and 3 line in many brackets, I took a closer look at their profile, and realized that I was probably underrating them. Rather than simply giving Michigan a bump, I scrapped my old data and completely redid my bracket projection today. Rather than posting a bracket, for the time-being, I decided to use an S-Curve, as it prevented me from having to move teams up or down seed lines for match-up purposes, and at this point shows a more accurate depiction of where teams should be rated. Here's the current S-Curve:

First Four Out: Dayton, UCF, Miami, Minnesota
Next Four Out: NC State, Washington, St. Joseph's, South Florida

[color=red;">Red][color=black;">][/color]
[color=red;">Purple][color=white;">][/color][/color][/color]
[color=red;">Green][color=white;">][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]
[color=red;">Orange][color=white;">][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

[color=red;"> In][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

[color=red;">For][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

[color=red;">At][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

[color=red;">Finally,][/color] [/color][/color] [/color][/color][/color][/color]

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2012/02/s-curve-feb-24.html

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] S-Curve: Feb 24
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:43:42 PM »
This is great.  As much as I want MU to be a 2 seed, it's really hard to put them above anyone on the S-Curve right now.  Michigan is their best option to leap, but that still leaves them below Duke, OSU, and others. 

The flip side is they're in a really good position to maintain the 3 even if they have a couple more losses between now and selection Sunday.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 06:14:01 PM »
I disagree on Michigan. Sure they've beat OSU and MSU, but they've lost to them as well. They're a good team 12-16 range, but they aren't the 9th best team in country. No wayyyy.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:57:16 PM »
I disagree on Michigan. Sure they've beat OSU and MSU, but they've lost to them as well. They're a good team 12-16 range, but they aren't the 9th best team in country. No wayyyy.

I agree.  With seven losses (including Iowa and Arkansas, average major conference teams at best), and a relative dearth of good wins in the non conference season, I don't think they deserve to be top 10.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:05:35 PM »
S-Curve: Feb 24

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Alan Bykowski)

The past few days, I've been noticing that everyone seems to be far higher on Michigan than I was. I initially felt they were being overrated, but as I saw them turning up on the 2 and 3 line in many brackets, I took a closer look at their profile, and realized that I was probably underrating them. Rather than simply giving Michigan a bump, I scrapped my old data and completely redid my bracket projection today. Rather than posting a bracket, for the time-being, I decided to use an S-Curve, as it prevented me from having to move teams up or down seed lines for match-up purposes, and at this point shows a more accurate depiction of where teams should be rated. Here's the current S-Curve:

First Four Out: Dayton, UCF, Miami, Minnesota
Next Four Out: NC State, Washington, St. Joseph's, South Florida

[color=red;">Red][color=black;">][/color]
[color=red;"><span][color=black;"><span][color=#d9d2e9;">Purple][color=white;">][/color][/color][/color]
[color=red;"><span][color=black;"><span][color=#d9d2e9;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#b6d7a8;">Green][color=white;">][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]
[color=red;"><span][color=black;"><span][color=#d9d2e9;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#b6d7a8;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#f9cb9c;">Orange][color=white;">][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

[color=red;"><span][color=black;"><span][color=#d9d2e9;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#b6d7a8;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#f9cb9c;"><span][color=white;"> In][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

[color=red;"><span][color=black;"><span][color=#d9d2e9;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#b6d7a8;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#f9cb9c;"><span][color=white;">For][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

[color=red;"><span][color=black;"><span][color=#d9d2e9;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#b6d7a8;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#f9cb9c;"><span][color=white;">At][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

[color=red;"><span][color=black;"><span][color=#d9d2e9;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#b6d7a8;"><span][color=white;"><span][color=#f9cb9c;"><span][color=white;">Finally,][/color] [/color][/color] [/color][/color][/color][/color]

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2012/02/s-curve-feb-24.html

I know there's a lot of work behind this, but I can't believe that any field still has the Illini in.  I'd be absolutely shocked if the committee puts them in at this point.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »

I felt the same way on Michigan, but consider this:

• They are one of only 5 teams in the country with 8 top-50 wins
  • They have as many top-20 wins as Syracuse, Kentucky, or Missouri, and more than North Carolina, Marquette, Baylor, and Georgetown combined
  • Their worst loss is to Iowa, a team that has 4 top-25 wins.
I was thinking they were a 5-6 seed, but when you match them up to the rest of the field, there's no way you can line them up against teams like Louisville, Vandy, FSU, and Wisconsin and keep a straight face.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:02:15 PM »
I know there's a lot of work behind this, but I can't believe that any field still has the Illini in.  I'd be absolutely shocked if the committee puts them in at this point.

I had the Illini out the last bracket I did, didn't even have them in the last 8. But when you look at their quality wins compared to their only bad loss, they're hard to keep out. They still have a good resume, even if they're in the process of throwing up on their shoes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback