Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Things that didn't impress me vs. Rutgers  (Read 1279 times)

tower912

• All American
Things that didn't impress me vs. Rutgers
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:12:16 AM »
I thought our defense and defensive rebounding were a half step slow most of the game.    After the early 3's by DJO and Jae, I thought the offense settled for too many jumpers in the half court.     I think that the rest of the team is getting a little too deferential to Jae and DJO. 
    In the big picture, though, these are tiny nits to pick.  Natural to have a letdown after UCOnn and before WVU.    We won a trap game by a bunch.   Nobody got hurt.   Decent contributions off of the bench.    If there is a team in America that switches from defense to offense and then gets down the floor faster, I haven't seen them. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Things that didn't impress me vs. Rutgers
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:15:01 AM »
If there is a team in America that switches from defense to offense and then gets down the floor faster, I haven't seen them. 

To me, it's also incredible how we almost can get a fast break after a made basket by the opposition. Whoever plays point, or brings the ball up, is always looking to make a down the sideline or cross-court pass before they dribble across half - puts a lot of pressure on the opposing D.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:20:59 AM »
To me, it's also incredible how we almost can get a fast break after a made basket by the opposition. Whoever plays point, or brings the ball up, is always looking to make a down the sideline or cross-court pass before they dribble across half - puts a lot of pressure on the opposing D.

This really stood out to me against UConn, and it was one of the reasons we won the rebounding battle there.  After beating them down court several times on misses and makes in the first half, they stopped sending ANYONE to the offensive glass.  There would be times when a UConn shot would go up and the only players below the FT line were from MU easily snatching an uncontested rebound.  It's definitely a way to combat our height issues as well as grab some easy points and wear out the opposition.  Haven't seen an MU squad fast break this well since I started paying attention.  It's really fun to watch.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:21:47 AM »
I think last night was a sign of a mature team that has its eye on the prize.  While they bogged down a couple of times offensively and their defense wasn't up to the suffocating standards they have set, I believe the entire team realized that they'll be getting on a plane today for a game less than 48 hours after yesterday's contest.  One can't have a super fine edge every time out.  They played more than well enough to easily win and have something left in the tank emotionally for Friday.

And kudos to Juan for a solid few minutes of basketball.  Two consecutive steals had Buzz stoked by the kid's performance.  I liked the bench's contribution.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »

This is so demoralizing for the opposition, to score and then get it served up to you on the other end in 5 seconds.

Not to open old wounds, but I remember how humiliting it was when when Kansas did that to Mu in the final four game. Nice to be on the other end of it.

This had to be a hard game to stay focused. Getting a big lead early and then coasting the rest of the way against an infrior opponent. It was hard for me to stay focused on my couch watching the game.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »
Vandy did that to us not so long ago; but it's hard to characterize that game. Did Vandy play way above their game while we played way below our game? Looking back I hope that was the case. If we see them or U Washington in the tournament again I will be just a tad nervous.