Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kevon Looney mention by IL Prep Bullseye Brothers  (Read 18332 times)

QuetteHoops

• Starter
Re: Kevon Looney mention by IL Prep Bullseye Brothers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »
Sounds like what everyone else has been saying about him, very high praise.  I really hope we can land this young man.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:13:04 AM »
Putting another 6'6"+ switchable in the league this year (Crowder) could go a long way in landing Looney.  Then when another local 6'7" switchable thrives in the stretch 4 role in Buzz' offense next year (JWilson), we will look even more attractive.  Of course, if he wants to get his balls crushed every day, MU is the perfect place for him regardless!

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
Sounds like what everyone else has been saying about him, very high praise.  I really hope we can land this young man.

I do too.  He'd be a great addition to the team.

I still don't understand why so many people don't want a player like Kevon on the team.  In the last week I've taken more than my fair share of crap from those who would rather have unraked and unknown players with a chips on their shoulder, rather than a potential #1 player nationall from our own backyard.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »
I do too.  He'd be a great addition to the team.

I still don't understand why so many people don't want a player like Kevon on the team.  In the last week I've taken more than my fair share of crap from those who would rather have unraked and unknown players with a chips on their shoulder, rather than a potential #1 player nationall from our own backyard.

Wow, talk about playing the victim card on top of a completely made up argument.  I bet if you started a poll on whether people on this board would rather have Looney or a generic 3*, you would get between 99 and 100% voting for Looney.  Keep your personal vendettas out of this thread, please.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
I do too.  He'd be a great addition to the team.

I still don't understand why so many people don't want a player like Kevon on the team.  In the last week I've taken more than my fair share of crap from those who would rather have unraked and unknown players with a chips on their shoulder, rather than a potential #1 player nationall from our own backyard.

To paraphrase Spock; "Develop a thick skin and prosper."

...or, just keep drawing fire to your position, its up to you.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:14:30 AM »
Wow, talk about playing the victim card on top of a completely made up argument.  I bet if you started a poll on whether people on this board would rather have Looney or a generic 3*, you would get between 99 and 100% voting for Looney.  Keep your personal vendettas out of this thread, please.

+1. People have defended the guys Buzz has brought into the program, and rightly so. He's already put one 2* in the NBA and two more may follow next year. But I haven't heard anyone saying "stay away from 5* guys".

People have dreamed that Steve Taylor could be our "in" with Jabari Parker, but there's no indication that it can happen. One year later (2014) Looney could be our version of Parker. In spite of 84's whining, is there ANYBODY on this board who wouldn't be excited by that? Not that I've seen.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »
Kevon would be a recruiting gem for either Buzz or Bo to keep him instate. Super nice kid and family with no academic issues. My hunch says he goes elsewhere though.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »
+1. People have defended the guys Buzz has brought into the program, and rightly so. He's already put one 2* in the NBA and two more may follow next year. But I haven't heard anyone saying "stay away from 5* guys".

People have dreamed that Steve Taylor could be our "in" with Jabari Parker, but there's no indication that it can happen. One year later (2014) Looney could be our version of Parker. In spite of 84's whining, is there ANYBODY on this board who wouldn't be excited by that? Not that I've seen.

He's already put one 2* in the NBA and two more may follow next year.

I'd say three.  You can't say that Wes and Lazar don't count just because Buzz didn't recruit them.  He coached Wes for a year and Lazar for two.  Wes' game in particular, developed the most under Buzz.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »
He's already put one 2* in the NBA and two more may follow next year.

I'd say three.  You can't say that Wes and Lazar don't count just because Buzz didn't recruit them.  He coached Wes for a year and Lazar for two.  Wes' game in particular, developed the most under Buzz.

While I agree Buzz deserves credit for the development of Wes and Zar, they were both 4* players, not 2* like Butler, DJO and Crowder were coming out of high school.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »
Kevon would be a recruiting gem for either Buzz or Bo to keep him instate. Super nice kid and family with no academic issues. My hunch says he goes elsewhere though.

Will Looney be Tokoto 2.0?  My hunch says your hunch should take a hike.  I'm thinking (hoping) that by the time Looney is making up his mind, the benefits of going to a "big time program" will be much less obvious then they were for Tokoto.  A lot may be riding on how well that kid who doesn't get into his HS games develops.  Everyone likes to play with a big, especially if they're tall and don't want to get drafted to play the post by default.

As soon as Looney announces where his press conference will be, I'll be camping out outside.  This time bring the damn donuts!!!

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »
While I agree Buzz deserves credit for the development of Wes and Zar, they were both 4* players, not 2* like Butler, DJO and Crowder were coming out of high school.

Ahh, the "*" was a star.  I thought Lennys Tap was talking basketball positions.  My bad.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
tokoto being buried on the bench at UNC might actually help MU

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »
Don't underestimate my hunch. Press conference will not be at On The Border or Silk.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 10:47:48 AM »
Why would Tokoto be buried?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
Why would Tokoto be buried?

Just a hunch.... he will be by far the lowest rated recruit on the team.

I realize ratings dont always translate, but I also beleive that for the most part non inner city league players from Wisconsin have a higher hill to climb due to the terrible product that is Wisconsin High school basketball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »

Maybe I missed something, but who said they don't want Kevon Looney on the team? Who specifically said that they would rather have an unranked player than Looney?

If it was said, so be it. But I don't believe anyone wouldn't want Looney at Marquette. He's a perfect fit for us, is in our back yard, and would help continue the tradition of keeping top-flight Milwaukee talent home that Deonte Burton is trying to start.

So who said it? Who said "I'd rather take a nobody over Kevon Looney"? Because I don't believe anyone said that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »
Just a hunch.... he will be by far the lowest rated recruit on the team.

I realize ratings dont always translate, but I also beleive that for the most part non inner city league players from Wisconsin have a higher hill to climb due to the terrible product that is Wisconsin High school basketball.

And you may 100% correct. From what I've observed from Tokoto, he is atypical of WI players. Not just in skill, but commitment.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 11:29:15 AM »
Put up or shup up, Equalizer.   Please find the posts that say they don't want Mooney.    Personally, I want players who want to play for Buzz, who know what that means (getting balls crushed every day), and want to do it anyway.   If a 4-5 star wants that, come on down.   If they want to go elsewhere, I have confidence that Buzz will find someone almost as talented who wants to put in the work. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »
Don't underestimate my hunch. Press conference will not be at On The Border or Silk.

Believe me, I'd feel alot better if your hunch said MU at this point. Good news is it's not even halftime in the decision making process and Buzz obviously doesn't let early deficits rattle him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
Good points, Len
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »
Believe me, I'd feel alot better if your hunch said MU at this point. Good news is it's not even halftime in the decision making process and Buzz obviously doesn't let early deficits rattle him.
I would guess, also, that Deonte Burton may have some influence with Looney.  Maybe that is wishful thinking, but his coming back to Milwaukee and his pride with MU can go a long way.

I would love to see Duane Wilson, Looney and Stone join Burton at Marquette. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »
Aren't all those players from Wisconsin? Wow I guess they're not all terrible after all.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
I would guess, also, that Deonte Burton may have some influence with Looney.  Maybe that is wishful thinking, but his coming back to Milwaukee and his pride with MU can go a long way.

I would love to see Duane Wilson, Looney and Stone join Burton at Marquette. 

Clearly the dream scenario, and I think that would get a ton of national pub akin to the Flintstones at MSU.  We would also win an absurd number of games.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »
Clearly the dream scenario, and I think that would get a ton of national pub akin to the Flintstones at MSU.  We would also win an absurd number of games.

+1000