collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Double Secret Probation  (Read 9820 times)

jsglow

• All American
Double Secret Probation
« on: February 20, 2012, 06:52:56 PM »

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
Re: Double Secret Probation
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
what the...there's drinkin goin on at the frats?? :o

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

--Ignatius of Loyola
Have some patience, FFS.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »
Frats always had a high % of twits.  Still do apparently.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
Triangle? Must have been a rowdy night of World of Warcraft.

Anyways, abolish the Greek houses at Marquette, very little added value. See if those members actually care about the system without the house.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »
Ignorant gibberish PTM. i'm sure you must have been a real live wire at MU if you didn't drink.
Most people I know who enjoyed the Greek culture at MU and other campuses forged lifelong bonds and some groups are still in constant communication 40 years later. The social advantages aside they alos found time to enrich the community.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:09:04 PM »
Marquette has frats?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:41:48 PM »
Ignorant gibberish PTM. i'm sure you must have been a real live wire at MU if you didn't drink.
Most people I know who enjoyed the Greek culture at MU and other campuses forged lifelong bonds and some groups are still in constant communication 40 years later. The social advantages aside they alos found time to enrich the community.

The Greek System has its advantages, but they're lost today at Marquette. Marquette has better service programs that garner larger involvement through the student body than any Greek society.

However, if the students truly are involved in the essence and founding culture of the System, then taking away the houses that are problems shouldn't be an issue, right?

LON

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:09:28 AM »
Never joined a frat...you know, because I didn't have to pay dues to make friends.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »
One of the things about MU that appealed to me was the LACK of a greek system.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 07:17:19 AM »

+1

Never joined a frat...you know, because I didn't have to pay dues to make friends.

+1 bro

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 08:03:31 AM »
Back in the day, we had houses at MU...Lighthouse, Bud House, Yellow House, Blue House, Pleasure Palace, etc.

But the issue was not whether we broke a few rules or took a few liberties with our female party guests -- we did.  We just didn't call them frats or have to worry about being put on double secret probation.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 08:25:32 AM »

Me too.  Then I decided to join Sigma Chi anyway, and it completely enriched my college experience.

To the others, if a fraternity isn't for you, then it's not for you.  If someone decides it's good for them, then it's good for them.  Don't be a hater.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »
Triangle? Must have been a rowdy night of World of Warcraft.

Anyways, abolish the Greek houses at Marquette, very little added value. See if those members actually care about the system without the house.

Go ask the engineering school what alums made the donations to build the new building. It was the Sig Phis and the Triangles. How's that for little added value?

No one rags on you for not joining a fraternity, give it a rest.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »

You clearly did not know PTM in college.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »
The fact that the university is cracking down on drinking at frats makes the MU Greek system seem like even more of a joke.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:32 AM »
Most people I know who enjoyed the Greek culture at MU and other campuses forged lifelong bonds and some groups are still in constant communication 40 years later.

I never understood this argument.  

I'm still in constant communication with my friends from Marquette and I wasn't in a frat.  

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »
Go ask the engineering school what alums made the donations to build the new building. It was the Sig Phis and the Triangles. How's that for little added value?

No one rags on you for not joining a fraternity, give it a rest.

I know the single largest donation came from a family that wasn't in any fraternity. How's that added value?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
The fact that the university is cracking down on drinking at frats makes the MU Greek system seem like even more of a joke.

It's happening at a lot of schools though.  Simply put, many are viewing the negatives that fraternities bring to campus to outweigh the positives...so they are going to crack down on them and use the student code of conduct as a reason. 

MUSig54

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
Me too.  Then I decided to join Sigma Chi anyway, and it completely enriched my college experience.

To the others, if a fraternity isn't for you, then it's not for you.  If someone decides it's good for them, then it's good for them.  Don't be a hater.

In hoc. I still think what the current guys on campus did was incredibly boneheaded, though. Regardless, I personally really enjoyed my MU Greek experience, and would do it again if I had the chance.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 01:06:36 PM »
I know the single largest donation came from a family that wasn't in any fraternity. How's that added value?

I like how that donation means that all the other donations that came from MU Greek alums suddenly become meaningless.

Greek Life isn't for everyone. It's perfectly fine to not join a fraternity. I just don't understand the endless hate... they are MU students/alums that do all the same things you do. They make friends, have a good time, go to MU games, etc. Why all the hate?

Either way, MUs response to this doesn't surprise me. The PR department has got to be in freak out mode after the stuff with the basketball team last year. MU probably wants to look tough.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Greek Life isn't for everyone. It's perfectly fine to not join a fraternity. I just don't understand the endless hate... they are MU students/alums that do all the same things you do. They make friends, have a good time, go to MU games, etc. Why all the hate?

Like you said, frat guys make friends, have a good time, go to MU games, etc., but they also pay dues. A lot of the "hate" stems from people wondering what the ROI is on joining a frat.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »
Like you said, frat guys make friends, have a good time, go to MU games, etc., but they also pay dues. A lot of the "hate" stems from people wondering what the ROI is on joining a frat.

The ROI can be anything from nothing to a lot. If you join an organization that you don't gel with the people and doesn't offer opportunities to develop personally and professionally, you're not going to get much out of it. When I was at MU, I didn't see too many frats without personal/professional development opportunities.

For me, I felt like the ROI was high. I made a lot of friends (that I still keep in touch with), had some good memories, got a bunch of leadership development opportunities I wouldn't have otherwise had, built a fantastic network, and a house to live in for a year of college. From a purely financial standpoint, I lived for free and paid no dues for one year due to a scholarship only available from my fraternity I got. Even when I did pay dues, it wasn't like I didn't get anything back - it bought me a bunch of meals with my friends and fun (and many times alcohol free!) outings with my friends.

It's perfectly fine if you didn't think this was for you. You can get all of these things in many other ways. A fraternity was just a nice way to bring them all together in one place for me.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »
  I too was in a fraternity at MU due to the professional advantages. MU is cracking down on drinking period. Notice all of the bars that MU is buying the land off of or making disappear that many of us drank at while at MU. Drinking happens everywhere on campus, whether its at a frat house or your apartment MU doesn't want it to happen period and is making an example with this.
  Every year in Jan/Feb the Milwaukee police and MU cracked down on some party or gave out tickets to every intoxicated student in sight...this happened all 4 years I was at MU.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »
In hoc. I still think what the current guys on campus did was incredibly boneheaded, though. Regardless, I personally really enjoyed my MU Greek experience, and would do it again if I had the chance.

What did the current guys do differently from every other class that lead to the crackdown?